Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Whiteguy

Re: Which Air Canada's aircraft are being parked?

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:21 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:
longhauler wrote:
Actually I wasn’t looking at the loads. I was looking at advanced bookings and cancellation data. I said “loads” as it would be difficult to describe the data I was using.

You mean the same bookings that (if booked before March 31) can be cancelled without penalty? Sure, business travellers will still book because they're not the ones paying for it, their companies are! That doesn't mean they won't cancel closer to the date and use their credit for future travel when the situation improves.

Even my own anecdote, I have travel booked on and April 25th I still haven't cancelled because I'm waiting to see how the situation progresses.

While it was not my intent “to mislead the readers”, (who I am guessing don’t really give a rat’s ass), I was answering the message thread subject wondering why Air Canada chose to not fly Rouge next month. With advanced bookings trending toward premium cabins and strong cargo demand, it makes sense to use primarily the 787.

As noted, other than Rouge, all types in the fleet though, continue to be used.

Your point was to try and contradict Jimbo's very correct argument that there was no demand for premium class. Both you and I can see that his argument is true yet you're trying to mislead with a factually incorrect statement.

jimbo737 wrote:
The point is, there’s no demand for premium class. So why operate it and incur the expense of provisioning and crewing for it.

longhauler wrote:
Westjet currently may not be able to attract premium cabin passengers, but Air Canada doesn’t appear to have any problems there.

Is it not enough that longhauler takes the time to share this info with everyone. BTW, longhauler, a lot of us on here appreciate it.

Now getting back on topic, with the additional trims AC made yesterday, I can no longer find any April DH1 ops in the online schedule.

Pretty sure the DH1s are done. YXH and YQL routes were cut last week as of April 1st. Not sure what else they were doing.

Airlinerdude

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:33 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Is it not enough that longhauler takes the time to share this info with everyone. BTW, longhauler, a lot of us on here appreciate it.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against Longhauler. I find his posts very informative about many aspects, namely the operations side. Like you I appreciate all of his contributions and enjoy the debate it sparks. But I would call anyone out on spreading misinformation that is unequivocally incorrect. In case you can't tell, he and I both have a vested interest in AC remaining a viable employer!

The facts are, AC's loads are very poor across all three cabins and across the entire network. I personally wouldn't be surprised to a further reduction in the flying program announced next week. Some of the routes are simply unviable as per the latest schedule. I see a contraction to just a few transcon routes and maybe a few regional routes, to carry whats left of those wanting to travel and freight.

Whiteguy

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:42 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Just to clarify, I have nothing against Longhauler. I find his posts very informative about many aspects, namely the operations side. Like you I appreciate all of his contributions and enjoy the debate it sparks. But I would call anyone out on spreading misinformation that is unequivocally incorrect. In case you can't tell, he and I both have a vested interest in AC remaining a viable employer!

The facts are, AC's loads are very poor across all three cabins and across the entire network. I personally wouldn't be surprised to a further reduction in the flying program announced next week. Some of the routes are simply unviable as per the latest schedule. I see a contraction to just a few transcon routes and maybe a few regional routes, to carry whats left of those wanting to travel and freight.

So what’s the point in getting in a pissing match then? He’s getting information from a different source, one you don’t have access to, and answering Jimbo! Another one looking for a listing match, and to much time on his hands while in quarantine. AC, like many other airlines, is trying to save their operation while also trying to help get people home while they can. Why question which operation and aircraft they seem fit to use?

ba319-131

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:43 pm

longhauler wrote:
Wow. I give up.

Sometimes the Anal Alices on this site make it not worth the effort. It’s probably why most of the “old guard” no longer frequent this site.

- your not wrong.
111 732 733 734 735 736 73G 738 739,7M8 BBJ 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 764 772 77L 773 77W L15 D10 D30 D40 AB3 AB6 312 313 318 319 320 20N 321 21N 332 333 342 343 345 346 359 351 388 CS1 CS3 I86 154 SSJ CRJ CR7 CR9 CRK 145 170 175 220

Airlinerdude

Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:56 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
So what’s the point in getting in a pissing match then? He’s getting information from a different source, one you don’t have access to, and answering Jimbo! Another one looking for a listing match, and to much time on his hands while in quarantine. AC, like many other airlines, is trying to save their operation while also trying to help get people home while they can. Why question which operation and aircraft they seem fit to use?

I apologize for not toeing the anti-WS sentiment that seems to be prevalent here. Given that many form their opinions on this site from informed posters, I'd rather contribute to the facts than watch individuals spell fiction. But I guess we'll see who's right in the coming weeks.

Quite the contrary, my role is busier than ever because of the ongoing events.

accargofra

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:11 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:

I apologize for not toeing the anti-WS sentiment that seems to be prevalent here.

Topic is "Which Air Canada's aircraft are being parked?" - and not an anti WS thread.
and back to the topic:
The 77W is doing some cargo only flights - same as AA - from Toronto to Europe (FRA/LHR /AMS) on behalf of a freight forwarder.
FRA will see in the new schedule only 788 and 789 for the (sad) times given.

ACcargoFRA

WildcatYXU

Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 pm

accargofra wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:

I apologize for not toeing the anti-WS sentiment that seems to be prevalent here.

Topic is "Which Air Canada's aircraft are being parked?" - and not an anti WS thread.
and back to the topic:
The 77W is doing some cargo only flights - same as AA - from Toronto to Europe (FRA/LHR /AMS) on behalf of a freight forwarder.
FRA will see in the new schedule only 788 and 789 for the (sad) times given.

ACcargoFRA

How does a flight like this look like? Empty cabin and belly full of cargo?
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

beechnut

Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:31 pm

I wonder, given the lack of pax, if small parcels could not occupy the overhead bins and under seats within capacity, if the fuel and belly cargo don’t bring weight up to MGTOW, such as volume limited cargo in the belly instead of weight limited?

dr1980

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:19 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

Here here!

On another note, what a weird time we live in...AC hasn’t been able to fly YHZ-LHR in a year due to the MAX fiasco and now we have two flights go YHZ-CMN (not bookable or meant for PAX I know but still, could never have predicted this!)
Dave/CYHZ

TObound

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm

There's a lot of talk of AC ditching the 737 MAX after the crisis. Why would that be the case? I can't see it. They need to replace all the aging Airbii narrowbodies. And the coming in TS narrowbodies don't provide enough. Also, who would take the MAX birds they already have (and have waiting for delivery) in this environment?

I would love to see AC ditch the Max. Not a fan. But I just can't see the business rationale behind it.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:30 pm

TObound wrote:
There's a lot of talk of AC ditching the 737 MAX after the crisis. Why would that be the case? I can't see it. They need to replace all the aging Airbii narrowbodies. And the coming in TS narrowbodies don't provide enough. Also, who would take the MAX birds they already have (and have waiting for delivery) in this environment?

I would love to see AC ditch the Max. Not a fan. But I just can't see the business rationale behind it.

According to planespotters.net, AC has 24 + 14 Max either parked or up for delivery. Air Transat has 15 A321 in the fleet, including three LRs. Rouge has a grand total of 41 A319/320/321s. Since RV will not fly beyond March and depending on how things go with the TS acquisition, AC could theoritically end up with up to 56 Airbus narrow-bodies.

accargofra

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:35 pm

WildcatYXU wrote:

How does a flight like this look like? Empty cabin and belly full of cargo?

yes :)

iseeyyc

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:35 pm

dr1980 wrote:
Here here!

The phrase is "hear, hear" as in "do you hear what he is saying".

beechnut

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:29 pm

TObound wrote:

See what I wrote in post 35. Between TS and Transat, there's a potential for 25 A321s. Of those, 19 are late-build CEOs, and 6 are brand-new NEO LRs. Plus 5 A320s that are newer than AC's current fleet. In terms of seats, that's not much different than 24 MAX. Those are secure, available, flyable airplanes rather than 24 aircraft that may or may not see their CofA restored.

With 45 A220s coming on eventually (I hope! 4 already delivered), and the likelihood of a greatly reduced market after this crisis is over, I think AC have enough to tide them over and perhaps place some strategic orders for later growth with Airbus (or hypothetically Boeing if they finally come up with something better than the MAX).

Quite frankly I do believe the MAX is dead at AC. But I may be wrong. My opinions are free... you get what you pay for!

Beech

PWA732

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:53 pm

No, the Max is not dead at AC. We are in the process of installing millions of dollars worth of dual HUD's in each aircraft. All 737 pilots are undergoing HUD training in our two simulators in Toronto as we speak. If we were getting rid of them, I see this as adding little value to the frames, as few operators will use them, or need them. Training and installation are both happening right now.

P.

beechnut

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Sorry I meant between Transat and Rouge...

codyul

Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:15 pm

beechnut wrote:
Sorry I meant between Transat and Rouge...

Definitely think it's possible! But I feel much will change for this Transat deal. Rov will slyly claim that with world events as they are, that Transat is not with 710mill and he will express cold feet. Likely Legault will ask for a deal to get done as Transat will suffer harder than AC from this crisis. AC will get them at a better rate and with whatever conditions.
Also a free opinion (liked that one: you get what you pay for)
By the way, I operated two transatlantic this last week. Half full outbounds and 3/4+ on the inbounds.
YUL PNC :weightlifter:

beechnut

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:22 am

PWA732 wrote:
No, the Max is not dead at AC. We are in the process of installing millions of dollars worth of dual HUD's in each aircraft. All 737 pilots are undergoing HUD training in our two simulators in Toronto as we speak. If we were getting rid of them, I see this as adding little value to the frames, as few operators will use them, or need them. Training and installation are both happening right now.

P.

Unless of course it is Boeing that bails...

CrewBunk

Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 am

I just read an article in the Wall Street Journal talking about no-show factors that backs up what longhauler was trying to get at.

Airlines are noticing that stale economy bookings have a no-show factor approaching 50%! While last minute bookings of First, Business and Premium Economy have a higher chance of showing up. They called it confidence level. With that confidence level higher for higher fares, airlines are making sure there is room to accommodate them.

The missing piece of the puzzle is what is tallied after the flight closes. How many showed up? When did they book? Was everyone that wanted to travel able to be carried? This information is not open to the public and probably not even to most airline employees. Air Canada’s choice of aircraft parking would reflect this information. Information unable to be determined just by seeing seats sold in the future.

I have always enjoyed the battle between Jimbo and longhauler as they each defend their airlines position. It is fun as they jab at each other but it’s always respectful. It looks like after Jimbos statement about lack of business bookings at WestJet that longhauler was looking at this information about confidence levels and saying Air Canada was not seeing the same thing.

shoelessjoe

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:32 am

Anecdotally a mainline A320 and a Rouge A319 have come to CYQG over the past 24 hours.

jimbo737

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:58 am

Whiteguy wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Jimbo is focused on start up number 4 and never has enough time. The venture has been fully capitalized for quite some time and very fortunately has no expenses of consequences to contend with through this horribly ugly situation.

blueflyer

Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:26 am

PWA732 wrote:
No, the Max is not dead at AC. We are in the process of installing millions of dollars worth of dual HUD's in each aircraft. All 737 pilots are undergoing HUD training in our two simulators in Toronto as we speak. If we were getting rid of them, I see this as adding little value to the frames, as few operators will use them, or need them.

Curious, what makes the HUD valuable to Air Canada but apparently near-worthless for other operators?

ThePointblank

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 am

blueflyer wrote:
PWA732 wrote:
No, the Max is not dead at AC. We are in the process of installing millions of dollars worth of dual HUD's in each aircraft. All 737 pilots are undergoing HUD training in our two simulators in Toronto as we speak. If we were getting rid of them, I see this as adding little value to the frames, as few operators will use them, or need them.

Curious, what makes the HUD valuable to Air Canada but apparently near-worthless for other operators?

I am suspecting it is the Rockwell Collins HGS-6000 HUD, which is the apparently the same system that got Boeing into a ton of trouble recently with the FAA for installing them despite not been tested or approved as compatible with the 737 series.

matt

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am

Here is a list of the flights operated by the AC family for April 2020

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-22mar20/

I see that some flights are operated by AC rouge. I understood that all AC rouge flight attendants were to be laid off... Will AC mainline be working those AC rouge flights? Or maybe the AC rouge layoffs are in effect from May 2020.
Next flights: YQM-YUL-YVR-YUL-YQM / YQM-YYZ-HKG-DXB-BCN-YUL-YQM

Cruiser

Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:37 am

PWA732 wrote:

P.

Last week changed fleet plans in a matter of days which is almost unprecedented in history. If it is still going in a month or two, then I would agree - however, management may have been a little pre-occupied last week working on other issues.
Leahy on Per Seat Costs: "Have you seen the B-2 fly-by at almost US$1bn a copy? It has only 2 seats!"

PWA732

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:10 pm

blueflyer wrote:
PWA732 wrote:

The training required and regulatory approvals to use them. You can't just flip it down and turn it on. They require days of sim training.

Air Canada installed them to increase the SA of both pilots.

Pete.

beechnut

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:17 pm

PWA732 wrote:
blueflyer wrote:
PWA732 wrote:

The training required and regulatory approvals to use them. You can't just flip it down and turn it on. They require days of sim training.

Air Canada installed them to increase the SA of both pilots.

Pete.

I wonder if Halifax had something to do with it...

Beech

beechnut

Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:24 pm

matt wrote:

I see that some flights are operated by AC rouge. I understood that all AC rouge flight attendants were to be laid off... Will AC mainline be working those AC rouge flights? Or maybe the AC rouge layoffs are in effect from May 2020.

Interesting to see that there's no 777 flying at all, unless they plan to operate dedicated cargo flights with those or use them domestically by consolidating capacity on transcon routes. It also shows a couple of non-Rouge 767-300s flying which is unexpected, I thought AC would use the opportunity to put them out to pasture, but I guess there's still some life left in them.

Only one A333 route as well, at least internationally. I suspect some domestic with them as well. I'm curious to see the domestic schedules.

Beech

shoelessjoe

Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:11 pm

3 additional frames to CYQG today - mainline 320, mainline 321, Rouge 319.

Dalmd88

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 pm

I was looking at VCV today on Flight Aware and notice AC had a 787 leave for Toronto. Everything else was inbound.

Dominion301

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:31 am

beechnut wrote:
matt wrote:

Interesting to see that there's no 777 flying at all, unless they plan to operate dedicated cargo flights with those or use them domestically by consolidating capacity on transcon routes. It also shows a couple of non-Rouge 767-300s flying which is unexpected, I thought AC would use the opportunity to put them out to pasture, but I guess there's still some life left in them.

Only one A333 route as well, at least internationally. I suspect some domestic with them as well. I'm curious to see the domestic schedules.

Beech

There's some domestic 333 flying in the April schedule with YUL-YVR 2x daily and YYZ-YHZ daily. I imagine the latter must be primarily for lobster hauling.

factsonly

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:25 pm

Is AC also opening B77W TATL Freighter service?:

- 24 Mar 2020 dep. 18.55 YYZ - AMS 07.30 AC7154 B77W

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ac7154

shoelessjoe

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Additional mainline A321 and Rouge A319 to CYQG today. I believe the total stored at YQG is up to 8.

Dominion301

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:57 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:
Additional mainline A321 and Rouge A319 to CYQG today. I believe the total stored at YQG is up to 8.

While a bit off topic, I believe that the entire WG fleet is now parked at YKF.

jimbo737 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
Airlinerdude wrote:

Jimbo is focused on start up number 4 and never has enough time. The venture has been fully capitalized for quite some time and very fortunately has no expenses of consequences to contend with through this horribly ugly situation.

Yes indeed Breeze are very lucky.

beechnut

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:02 am

factsonly wrote:

Curious indeed. Googling it shows the info above, and one hit lists it as a Jazz flight... go figure. Repatriation flight? Cargo flight? Medical supply flight?

pictues1981

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:42 am

I would also suspect that Air Canada may try and paint a few extra planes during this time if they can get the hanger space

yulexpansion

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 am

pictues1981 wrote:
I would also suspect that Air Canada may try and paint a few extra planes during this time if they can get the hanger space

I would suspect that Air Canada wants to preserve cash and not spend on paint aircraft unless deemed necessary from an airworthiness perspective.

beechnut

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:32 am

I found this interesting tidbit from the Air Canada Cargo site:

https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/news ... 324_0.html

It seems AC is offering cargo-only flights on the 777 and 789, on an on-demand basis.

That might explain the 77W making its way to AMS.

Beech

accargofra

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:12 am

factsonly wrote:

see my post #56 - only cargo using a 77W

accargofra

matt

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:26 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:

77W C-FIVX was flown as AC7066 YYZ-YHZ yesterday, and today it's on its way as AC7050 YHZ-CMN. Any reason for the Halifax stop?.

Just a guess here, but it might be to limit the total flight time, especially for cabin crew, which most likely operated both outbound and inbound flights. There were also 4 pilots on board, based on the twitter pic of the crew. In/out of CMN, no crew left behind.

https://twitter.com/AirCanada/status/12 ... 16/photo/1

I see on Flightradar24 that C-FNOE (789) is currently operating YHZ-BCN as AC7052. Most likely returning right back to YYZ. Again, it’s most likely leaving from YHZ because of the crew (max. No of hours). Basically a « turn-around » for crew: no crew left behind.

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:34 pm

matt wrote:
I see on Flightradar24 that C-FNOE (789) is currently operating YHZ-BCN as AC7052. Most likely returning right back to YYZ. Again, it’s most likely leaving from YHZ because of the crew (max. No of hours). Basically a « turn-around » for crew: no crew left behind.

Inbound flight is scheduled to arrive at 17:30, and outbound AC2007 should depart at 18:50 with an ETA at YYZ 21:46.

matt

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:51 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
matt wrote:

Inbound flight is scheduled to arrive at 17:30, and outbound AC2007 should depart at 18:50 with an ETA at YYZ 21:46.

And there is also AC7050 that just left YHZ for CMN (77W, C-FNNW) a little less than 2 hours ago.

chrisa330

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm

The BCN and CMN flights are repatriation flights to bring Canadians home. There was a flight to LIM yesterday, and there will be some UIO flights as well.

shoelessjoe

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:27 pm

Additional Rouge A319 to YQG today.

stratable

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:46 pm

Just anecdotal evidence on my part but they seem to be really good at optimizing traffic flow. My flight originally slated YYZ-LHR (787-9) with an onward connection for Saturday was first changed to a non-stop YYZ-FRA on Monday (AC876 - the later of the two evening flights, 77W 450seats), which was then cancelled and changed to AC876 yesterday (Tuesday, 77W 450seats). Flight was full in Eco and Premium Eco, Business at 50%, lots of Germans flying home. We seemed to be loading quite a bit of freight, too.

BTW, loads of A320s (mainline and Rouge), 767s (Rouge), CRJs (Air Canada Express) parked at YYZ.
A313 319/20/21 332/3 343 359 B734/8 742/4/4M 752/3 763ER 772/E/W 787-8/-9 CRJ900 CS300 ERJ-145 F70 Q100/300/400

Skywatcher

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:16 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:
Additional Rouge A319 to YQG today.

I noticed it leaving YUL this morning on Flightaware.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:26 pm

matt wrote:
And there is also AC7050 that just left YHZ for CMN (77W, C-FNNW) a little less than 2 hours ago.

It's the third such flight.

March 21, 23 and 25th.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ac7050
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:36 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
matt wrote:

AC2007 is on its way to Canada, with ATD 19:13.

https://www.flightradar24.com/ACA2007/2445a1b0

7673mech

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm

787-8 are going to MCI.

crosscheckyyz

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:14 pm

Looks like there are a number of planes leaving tomorrow morning for MZJ, MLB, SAT

MLB
AC2334 A321
ZX2364 A321 rouge
ZX2362 A319 rouge
ZX2368 a319 rouge

SAT
AC2341 788
AC2343 789
AC2345 789

MZJ
AC2337 773
AC2339 773

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos