Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

LHR terminal moves?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:40 am

Just seen a post on FB regarding airline moves at Heathrow. It says BA will be T5 only and T4 flights moving to T3. Is this true?

Arion640

Re: LHR terminal moves?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:44 am

Wouldn’t shock me. I saw something similar yesterday. Makes sense given the current situation.

TUGMASTER

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:49 am

Yep.... BA’s T3 op will ALL migrate to T5 Over the next fortnight or so....
Understand that the T4 carriers will be moving out to either T2/3..
T4 to be used for aircraft parking.
Last edited by TUGMASTER on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

LHR01

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
Just seen a post on FB regarding airline moves at Heathrow. It says BA will be T5 only and T4 flights moving to T3. Is this true?

Can you provide us a name? Which facebook page it has come from?

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:58 am

Info from a HAL employee on the Heathrow Spotter Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1466639803580609/

LHR01

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
Info from a HAL employee on the Heathrow Spotter Group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1466639803580609/

What a surprise.
I've just joined the group and also found that he's on Instgram - https://www.instagram.com/zul_aviation/

Been following his Instagram. Good page for updates!

When can we expect this to go ahead then?

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:16 pm

xwb777

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:19 pm

AUH will be doing the same. The airport will move all foreign airlines to terminal 1. Terminal 2 will close down.

AirbusA6

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:29 pm

Wow, that's pretty drastic but understandable. The number of people travelling next week will be minuscule, with people desperately trying to get home now, and then not going anywhere unless really necessary, especially as so many countries have closed their borders.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

aireuropef100

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:21 pm

Overheard discussions at LGW today that in the South Terminal pier 3 (the old Satellite) is to be mothballed and in the North Terminal pier 6 (over the bridge) will be mothballed too.... allowing BA/DY/EZY to park planes they have removed from service. Also heard rumour (and stress rumour) that if things get worse they may look at consolidating everything into South Terminal where the train station is (easy logistically)... but only time will tell.

CraigAnderson

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:14 am

CarbonFibre wrote:

I'd want a much more reliable source that Paddle Your Own Kanoo, as this blog runs all sorts of rumours.

CraigAnderson

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:16 am

This 'rumour' doesn't make a lot sense. What about airlines such as CX, QF, EK and QR which have invested heavily in opening their own lounges at T3 and T4?

zkncj

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:26 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
This 'rumour' doesn't make a lot sense. What about airlines such as CX, QF, EK and QR which have invested heavily in opening their own lounges at T3 and T4?

Allot of airline lounges are closed at the moment

MartijnNL

Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:49 am

AirbusA6 wrote:
Wow, that's pretty drastic but understandable.

With airlines cutting capacity by 90 percent, this doesn't sound drastic at all. Stay at home, don't travel is the current advice in most of Europe now. Terrible times for everyone.

Bealine251

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:07 am

As this is unpresidented times is it possible that if flight into Heathrow drop to such a low rate that it could become a one runway operation and use the other taxiways/runway for parking

CraigAnderson

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:22 am

zkncj wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Allot of airline lounges are closed at the moment

None of the ones I mentioned are closed.

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

I'd want a much more reliable source that Paddle Your Own Kanoo

Was the HAL employee who first mentioned it no good for you?

CraigAnderson

Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

I'd want a much more reliable source that Paddle Your Own Kanoo

Was the HAL employee who first mentioned it no good for you?

A single employee? No, I don't count that as an authoritative source either, and I don't think anybody else should be so eager to embrace rumour as fact. Yes, he COULD be correct, and we will know in days or maybe weeks, but that still doesn't mean that an airport employee is an authoritative source.

TUGMASTER

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:11 am

Bealine251 wrote:
As this is unpresidented times is it possible that if flight into Heathrow drop to such a low rate that it could become a one runway operation and use the other taxiways/runway for parking

Believe that is Stage 8 of mitigation
Currently at Stage 2

chunhimlai

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:26 am

CarbonFibre wrote:

“Terminal 4 is the home of Star Alliance airlines like Korean Air and KLM“

RvA

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:56 am

You can’t just move airlines around just like that I wouldn’t have thought. If you move AA for example out of T3, you need to be able to make sure their ground staff (in-house I believe not outsourced) can work with Sabre’s departure control systems etc. I don’t think you can simply “log in” from in another terminal and expect that work just like that. Happy though to be educated on this.

TC957

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:29 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

I spotted that too - clearly the journalist didn't consult anyone on here for correct info !

KingB123

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:33 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

You mean skyteam right?
King B

BrianDromey

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:45 pm

RvA wrote:
You can’t just move airlines around just like that I wouldn’t have thought. If you move AA for example out of T3, you need to be able to make sure their ground staff (in-house I believe not outsourced) can work with Sabre’s departure control systems etc. I don’t think you can simply “log in” from in another terminal and expect that work just like that. Happy though to be educated on this.

I think you can, more or less. AA don't have dedicated gates at LHR, all check-in desks and gates are common-use. In any case the number of flights will be so drastically reduced and loads so light over the coming days and weeks that manual processing would be practical too.

Aisak

Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:48 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
Bealine251 wrote:

Believe that is Stage 8 of mitigation
Currently at Stage 2

Wow... the situation would be really devastating if LHR were to block one perfect usable runway just for parking. Geez, if the active runway Gets shut down for whatever reason the airport would need to close and divert all incoming traffic if there are planes parked on the other one

chunhimlai

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Eventually BA can consolidate all flights into T5 with their JV partner AA

okobjorn

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:23 pm

Aisak wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:

Wow... the situation would be really devastating if LHR were to block one perfect usable runway just for parking. Geez, if the active runway Gets shut down for whatever reason the airport would need to close and divert all incoming traffic if there are planes parked on the other one

You would probably only use the taxiways for parking except at each end, so it can become fully operational fast in case it is needed

Lofty

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:26 am

The airport has already started Heathrow staff training for T3 and T4 teams in T2 and T5. At the moment no confirmation of which airlines are going where and when. All we know is it looks like BA will be T5 ops in the summer schedule.

If you look at this logically if you have a JV you can withdraw from a route and allow one of the others to operate. For example AA could stop operating to LHR allowing BA to operate the route, AA still get money without the expense of operating and BA can operate aircraft with higher loads and higher revenues. Win Win

TUGMASTER

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:48 am

BA T3 ops start on 29thMar in T5.

SwissCanuck

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 am

Lofty wrote:
The airport has already started Heathrow staff training for T3 and T4 teams in T2 and T5. At the moment no confirmation of which airlines are going where and when. All we know is it looks like BA will be T5 ops in the summer schedule.

If you look at this logically if you have a JV you can withdraw from a route and allow one of the others to operate. For example AA could stop operating to LHR allowing BA to operate the route, AA still get money without the expense of operating and BA can operate aircraft with higher loads and higher revenues. Win Win

Yikes. I hope they're just talking about check-in/gate staff as if you start to tweak with other services and their endless private contractors that gets complicated quickly.

LHR01

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:22 pm

Another update from zul_aviation - https://www.instagram.com/zul_aviation/

Terminal 4 to be closed - British Airways to use Terminal 4 gates to park up stored aircrafts

Terminal 3 - All British Airways flights will be moved to Terminal 5 by end of this month

Emirates lounge to be closed from tomorrow, First and Business passengers will use the Qantas lounge

With regards to which airlines will be using what terminal, this is still being discussed. Airlines are still deciding where to operate from. Whether it could be Terminal 2 or Terminal 3

maps4ltd

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:08 pm

CraigAnderson wrote:
CarbonFibre wrote:

I'd want a much more reliable source that Paddle Your Own Kanoo, as this blog runs all sorts of rumours.

Yeah. Kanoo did an article on an American hub in Cancun once.
Delta Gold Medallion

Lofty

Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:06 am

Following government advise all lounges to be closed!

uta999

Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:35 pm

If it were possible, now would be a great time to do major works at LHR.

Demolish T1, and create new holding points on 09L. Straighten a few taxiways, create new stands and satellites. This stoppage could drag on for 6-12 months and demand could be very low on resumption of some normality.
Your computer just got better

LHR01

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:37 pm

Terminal 5C will temporarily close and Terminal 2B security area until further notice.

T5C closure will take place on the 29th March and T2B security area will close tomorrow until further notice

Source from zul_aviation instgram page

lhrnue

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:41 pm

uta999 wrote:

Demolish T1, and create new holding points on 09L. Straighten a few taxiways, create new stands and satellites. This stoppage could drag on for 6-12 months and demand could be very low on resumption of some normality.

Yeap, we thought about for 1 day ... but I don't think this counts as key works in the context of today's announcement.
Regarding T1 ... T1 still hosts the T2 departure baggage system ... it will take many years of construction to provide it within T2 itself.

Aisak

Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:59 am

lhrnue wrote:
uta999 wrote:

Yeap, we thought about for 1 day ... but I don't think this counts as key works in the context of today's announcement.
Regarding T1 ... T1 still hosts the T2 departure baggage system ... it will take many years of construction to provide it within T2 itself.

I for sure would not consider “now” as a “great time”. Yes, those works will eventually have to be done. And probably will get done.
Maybe once this is all over, but keep in mind that the current setup of terminals half2-3-4-5 was just fine to cope with LHR traffic at its peak. And that peak won’t be that easy to achieve again.

We are talking about a private company having to fund those works when its traffic (read revenues) have fallen way below 50% practically overnight.
I guess there will be priorities higher on the list than to tear down whatever is left of T1 to complete the former Heathrow East. Even more while last months’ peak traffic just didn’t need those works, and we still don’t know when we could see figures approaching those levels again.

CarbonFibre
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:48 am

Just trying to place T2B security? Anyone?

seansasLCY

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:48 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
Just trying to place T2B security? Anyone?

I assume it’s the flight connections part. Whenever I arrive from ARN on the last flight it’s already closed but it’s the bit when you go down the escalators before you reach the moving walkways. To one side there is a path which goes to flight connections and security. I assume it will now be as it is in the evenings, that connecting pax go to T2A and then back again if needed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos