Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Jet2 to the rescue?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:22 pm

Looks like Jet2 are laying on extra aircraft to rescue passengers from other airlines, according to the statement from the CEO.
This must be very costly for the company, but for a company as well run as this, this must be a play for the long run where they can attract future customers.

This must also be one of the reasons they’re the only airline yet to announce job cuts! Well done Jet2!

UPNYGuy

Re: Jet2 to the rescue?

Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:33 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
mattyfitzg wrote:
Looks like Jet2 are laying on extra aircraft to rescue passengers from other airlines, according to the statement from the CEO.
This must be very costly for the company, but for a company as well run as this, this must be a play for the long run where they can attract future customers.

This must also be one of the reasons they’re the only airline yet to announce job cuts! Well done Jet2!

I’ve been thinking that the ULCC Like Jet2, Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant, and the ilk will be best positioned here. They are no strangers to offering less than daily service, and constantly changing schedules to meet p&l targets. Might be wrong, but only time will tell.

clipperlondon

Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:19 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
mattyfitzg wrote:

I’ve been thinking that the ULCC Like Jet2, Frontier, Spirit, Allegiant, and the ilk will be best positioned here. They are no strangers to offering less than daily service, and constantly changing schedules to meet p&l targets. Might be wrong, but only time will tell.

Good for Jet2. I wouldn't call them ULCC - their service is very good, aircraft clean and very well maintained, and staff are lovely. They seem to have a heart and a sense of duty, so I'm not surprised they're stepping up to the plate. Can you imagine Ryanair doing this?

They've been buzzing in and out of Lanzarote since all this started, and other airports that I'm not aware of, so well done Jet2, your're sound lads & lasses!

UPNYGuy

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:01 pm

clipperlondon wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
mattyfitzg wrote:

Good for Jet2. I wouldn't call them ULCC - their service is very good, aircraft clean and very well maintained, and staff are lovely. They seem to have a heart and a sense of duty, so I'm not surprised they're stepping up to the plate. Can you imagine Ryanair doing this?

They've been buzzing in and out of Lanzarote since all this started, and other airports that I'm not aware of, so well done Jet2, your're sound lads & lasses!

I’m from the US, and have limited exposure to Jet2. I have usually considered them to be a ULCC. I’ll gladly stand corrected if this is the case :)

eagles94

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:04 pm

An airline with a backbone. Very rare these days, looking forward to seeing Jet2 coming out far stronger on the other side.

strfyr51

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:24 pm

'll know the quality of vthe airline by how they react when the chips are down, And? The Chips are most certainly Down worldwide!

KingB123

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:24 pm

A great Airline! they've stopped recruitment of new staff which is understandable.
King B

oldannyboy

Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Kudos to Jet2. A class act. A world apart from FR. An airline with a heart.

Wallsendmag

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:25 pm

A breath of fresh air compared to most UK airlines

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dreamliner8910

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:52 pm

Just to point out BA,VS and DY have all done the same, just didn't feel the need to shout about it

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:54 pm

dreamliner8910 wrote:
Just to point out BA,VS and DY have all done the same, just didn't feel the need to shout about it

They’ve flown their own customers back, yes.

Jet2 are flying the customers of others back, like Ryanair, who won’t offer people flights home.

dreamliner8910

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:59 pm

BA,VS and DY are flying other customers back to as much as Jet2 are. We won't mention RYR...

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 pm

dreamliner8910 wrote:
BA,VS and DY are flying other customers back to as much as Jet2 are. We won't mention RYR...

They aren’t flying customers back who aren’t already their own. That’s the point the OP was making.

eagles94

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:05 pm

dreamliner8910 wrote:

A quick look of any of the mentioned airlines social media, and you’ll see their own customers are struggling to get home. In fact you’ll find some BA flight only pax in the canaries/Balearics have found themselves homeward bound on Jet2.

dreamliner8910

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:07 pm

I get what you are saying but I think you are mistaken. Jet2 are, out of the goodness of their hearts, putting the flights in the booking system, and "allowing" the general public (their passengers, other passengers, strangers etc etc) to pay for a ticket on those flights where there are seats on the aircraft.

My point is that a lot of other airlines are doing exactly the same (flight goes in the booking engine, you search for flight, and pay for it). If there are seats available they will be for sell. I don't see this as remarkable as that's everyday practice, and what everyone else is doing. Jet2 just put out a press release stating they are doing so. By the way, Jet2 is a great airline

shamrock321

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm

BA currently flying 3 777s to HAV to repatriate stranded cruise passengers.

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:20 pm

dreamliner8910 wrote:
I get what you are saying but I think you are mistaken. Jet2 are, out of the goodness of their hearts, putting the flights in the booking system, and "allowing" the general public (their passengers, other passengers, strangers etc etc) to pay for a ticket on those flights where there are seats on the aircraft.

My point is that a lot of other airlines are doing exactly the same (flight goes in the booking engine, you search for flight, and pay for it). If there are seats available they will be for sell. I don't see this as remarkable as that's everyday practice, and what everyone else is doing. Jet2 just put out a press release stating they are doing so. By the way, Jet2 is a great airline

Oh totally, the main point I was trying to make was the fact they are laying on extra aircraft specifically for this reason.

dreamliner8910

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 pm

Totally understand. My point is that BA and DY are laying on extra aircraft for the exact same reason as Jet2, they just don't issue a press release over it so sadly go unnoticed.

Polot

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:33 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:
dreamliner8910 wrote:

Oh totally, the main point I was trying to make was the fact they are laying on extra aircraft specifically for this reason.

Keep in mind all they are doing is using some of their extra aircraft from cancelled flights to bring in UK tourist abroad. They are not the only ones doing things like this- see the thread about TK sending unscheduled 77Ws to LHR and BA sending extra planes to HAV.

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:57 pm

dreamliner8910 wrote:
Totally understand. My point is that BA and DY are laying on extra aircraft for the exact same reason as Jet2, they just don't issue a press release over it so sadly go unnoticed.

They literally aren’t though, that’s the thing. You can’t argue with facts. They aren’t laying on anything extra than what is already scheduled, even then, they are cancelling hundreds of flights and not even flying out empty to rescue people.
Also with the HAV flights they are only doing those after receiving a payment from Fred Olsen, bearing in mind those aren’t extra since they don’t service HAV.

But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story. Let’s stick to the doom and gloom and bankruptcies that airliners.net loves to discuss.

Nickd92

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:
dreamliner8910 wrote:
But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story. Let’s stick to the doom and gloom and bankruptcies that airliners.net loves to discuss.

It's all i'm seeing around the aviation forums. People getting a kick out of discussing potentially 100,000's of unemployed as they "think abcd and e airline won't survive" - the whole industry is in it together! Like together. Aviation Industry is too heavily inter-wined into the global economy, especially all the present airlines, to let go. But like you say - airliners.net loves the idea of airlines, profitable (as Jet2 is) airlines, going under.

Polot wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:

Keep in mind all they are doing is using some of their extra aircraft from cancelled flights to bring in UK tourist abroad. They are not the only ones doing things like this- see the thread about TK sending unscheduled 77Ws to LHR and BA sending extra planes to HAV.

EQT Change. That is all. For additional seats ok to bring Turkish Citizens home. And vice versa for British in Turkey.

Nickd92

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:12 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:
dreamliner8910 wrote:

They literally aren’t though, that’s the thing. You can’t argue with facts. They aren’t laying on anything extra than what is already scheduled, even then, they are cancelling hundreds of flights and not even flying out empty to rescue people.
Also with the HAV flights they are only doing those after receiving a payment from Fred Olsen, bearing in mind those aren’t extra since they don’t service HAV.

It's all i'm seeing around the aviation forums. People getting a kick out of discussing potentially 100,000's of unemployed as they "think abcd and e airline won't survive" - the whole industry is in it together! Like together. Aviation Industry is too heavily inter-wined into the global economy, especially all the present airlines, to let go. But like you say - airliners.net loves the idea of airlines, profitable (as Jet2 is) airlines, going under.

Nickd92

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:13 pm

PLEASE DELETE
Last edited by Nickd92 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickd92

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:13 pm

Nickd92 wrote:
Polot wrote:

EQT Change. That is all. For additional seats ok to bring Turkish Citizens home. And vice versa for British in Turkey.

dreamliner8910

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:33 pm

mattyfitzg wrote:

They literally aren’t though, that’s the thing. You can’t argue with facts. They aren’t laying on anything extra than what is already scheduled.....But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.

They literally are.... leaving this here and walking away. Enjoy
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9260
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9250
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9252
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9154
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9153
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ln-lni
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ln-lnn

mattyfitzg
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 am

dreamliner8910 wrote:
mattyfitzg wrote:

They literally aren’t though, that’s the thing. You can’t argue with facts. They aren’t laying on anything extra than what is already scheduled.....But let’s not let facts get in the way of a good story.

They literally are.... leaving this here and walking away. Enjoy
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9260
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9250
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9252
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9154
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba9153
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ln-lni
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ln-lnn

5 BA flights. Great, and 3 of those are charters for tour operators and not even their own pax, Esprit Ski and On The Beach. But alright.

Crosswind

Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:10 am

mattyfitzg wrote:

You are completely wrong, Jet2 and Jet2 Holidays are operating extra flights repatriating their own customers from countries in lockdown, as they have a duty of care obligation to do... and making spare seats available to buy. TUI are doing exactly the same thing. The package operators have a legal duty of care to look after the safety and well-being of their customers the whole time they are on holiday.

See statement on the TUI website;
----------
Due to the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19, the Foreign Commonwealth Office have advised against all but essential travel. We will therefore no longer be offering TUI Airways flights and holidays departing between 17 March and 16 April 2020.

We will proactively contact all customers due to travel up to and including 16 April 2020 to offer a range of flexible options, including moving their holiday to a later date.
All customers overseas are being looked after by our resort and customer service teams, with customers in many of our destinations able to return home on their original scheduled return flight.

Due to local restrictions, customers in Cyprus, Dominican Republic, Morocco, Tunisia, Mauritius and Spain will return home early and will be proactively contacted with details of their new airport transfer and flight times.

The health and safety of our customers and crew remains of primary importance and we look forward to taking people on holiday again.

https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/travel-information/tui-coronavirus-information
----------

The scheduled airlines are in a different scenario, they are offering a few ad-hoc extra services in addition to one off charters but given the current low loads most people are able to be accommodated on normal flights. They will do their best to accommodate passengers wish to return home early, but are under no legal duty of care for customers while they are in any destination, unless they have booked a full package tour with that airline.

Also I am not aware of any UK airline announcing details of job cuts, several have made bleak predictions of cuts and layoffs, but the situation is dynamic. I don't believe any have laid off permanent staff yet, the legal consultation for this takes time. In this Jet2 are no different, since hardly any of their destinations are open for business they will be faced with the same difficult decisions as all other airlines worldwide at the moment.

Best Regards
CROSSWIND

caaardiff

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:38 am

To put this in to context. Jet2 are operating a normal scheduled to most places for RETURN flights to the UK.
TUI and Jet2 generally only carry package holiday makes to and from their destination, and a certain portion of seats sold on a flight only basis. They have a duty of care for package holiday customers. That's why up until recently flights have been going out empty but on schedule to bring back customers abroad on their original scheduled flights.
As things have progressed some flights have been cancelled freeing up aircraft and crews where additional flights have been put on for those people not due to come back for days or weeks. Some people may have flown out just before it all escalated and may have been booked on a 2 week holiday. As most holiday destinations are in lockdown I'm sure most would be happy to come back to the UK early.

TUI and Jet2, despite being competitors, can offer what's called mutual aid and book customers on each others flights if theres seats available.
Scheduled carriers like FR, BA and EZY etc, whilst may have some of their own package customers, generally fly seat only customers. Being scheduled carriers they also fly people in both directions. There may be people in the UK that live abroad that still need to get home as well. TUI and Jet2 have no obligation to these customers leaving the UK, whereas people from schedule carriers can purchase empty seats on returning TUI/Jet2 flights. I'm sure they arent offering free seats to anyone!

No Airline is the hero here as I'm sure they are all doing their own thing to help.

eagles94

Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:53 am

caaardiff wrote:
To put this in to context. Jet2 are operating a normal scheduled to most places for RETURN flights to the UK.
TUI and Jet2 generally only carry package holiday makes to and from their destination, and a certain portion of seats sold on a flight only basis. They have a duty of care for package holiday customers. That's why up until recently flights have been going out empty but on schedule to bring back customers abroad on their original scheduled flights.
As things have progressed some flights have been cancelled freeing up aircraft and crews where additional flights have been put on for those people not due to come back for days or weeks. Some people may have flown out just before it all escalated and may have been booked on a 2 week holiday. As most holiday destinations are in lockdown I'm sure most would be happy to come back to the UK early.

TUI and Jet2, despite being competitors, can offer what's called mutual aid and book customers on each others flights if theres seats available.
Scheduled carriers like FR, BA and EZY etc, whilst may have some of their own package customers, generally fly seat only customers. Being scheduled carriers they also fly people in both directions. There may be people in the UK that live abroad that still need to get home as well. TUI and Jet2 have no obligation to these customers leaving the UK, whereas people from schedule carriers can purchase empty seats on returning TUI/Jet2 flights. I'm sure they arent offering free seats to anyone!

No Airline is the hero here as I'm sure they are all doing their own thing to help.

Tell that to the hordes of TUI pax left in the dark, no better at their duty of care than Ryanair.

But again, like Jet2, other tour operators are getting pax home, as mentioned above OTB chartered a BA flight to RAK to bring people home, and a number of other tour operators doing the same.

jomur

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 am

Jet2 are and have added extra flights on top of those that where scheduled to operated. Any flight number starting LS6xxx is a non scheduled flight.

Diverskii

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am

Great to see another airliners.net discussion descend in to a shouting match as usual even during these unusual times... some things never change.. maybe everyone being cooped up indoors is making it worse...

The facts are all airlines are doing whatever they can to 1) stay afloat, and 2) help stranded passengers. You'll find that airlines pull together during times like this (source: it's my job to arrange this sort of thing). Yes Jet2 are doing a good job, and yes BA have sent plenty of flights to the Caribbean to rescue people (and plenty more to come).

Let's sit back and be thankful for all of this. I'm sure the people who are stranded are very thankful.

trent900

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:17 am

clipperlondon wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]
mattyfitzg wrote:

Who say's Ryanair haven't been flying rescue flights? ;) I know they definitely have.

OOSFS

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:06 pm

trent900 wrote:
clipperlondon wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:
[threeid][/threeid]

Who say's Ryanair haven't been flying rescue flights? ;) I know they definitely have.

Ryanair is indeed doing rescue flights. They are still flying people out of Morocco. These flights are operated from other bases. They fly empty to Morocco, do a full pax flight between Morocco and the destination and then position back empty to their base.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos