Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ro318
Topic Author

BA1 diverting to LHR

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:25 am

flyingphil

Re: BA1 diverting to LHR

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:40 am

Looks like it positioned from LCY to LHR.
If you check the http://thebasource.com/ there are a lot of positioning flights going on as BA sends planes into storage and in for maintenance.
They recently retired three A319's and a B747 .. all off to St Athan for part out and scrapping.
Looks like they are preparing for a massive drop in flights ;(

CarbonFibre

Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:45 am

A positioning flight would have surely used something like BA9252 as the flight number though.

cedarjet

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:06 am

Positioning flight makes way more sense but according to Google it departed for Shannon ontime at 0946 (scheduled 0950). Maybe they used its usual departure time and crew rotation and stuck to the usual flight number as a result.

Btw for an emergency after V1 out of LCY, you don’t want to go for a return to the field because it’s a very challenging approach, airlines (presumably including BA) who operate there train their crews to shoot for Stansted which is closer than Heathrow and means an aircraft with an emergency doesn’t overfly central London.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

ro318
Topic Author

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:14 am

Could it have been a medical and due to the low passenger count made more sense to transfer them onto a LHR flight?

BA777FO

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:18 am

ro318 wrote:
Could it have been a medical and due to the low passenger count made more sense to transfer them onto a LHR flight?

That's exactly my understanding of what has happened. It's no longer continuing on to SNN/JFK.

PANAMsterdam

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:21 am

CarbonFibre wrote:
A positioning flight would have surely used something like BA9252 as the flight number though.

BA9265 (Airbus A319) has just landed at LGW from LHR.

edit: forgot quote
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

flyingphil

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:30 am

http://thebasource.com/british-airways- ... -heathrow/

Bit of a mystery! or BA's shortest passenger flight?

CarbonFibre

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:46 am

LCY-LHR on a 318 is one for the log book!

clipperlondon

Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:58 am

flyingphil wrote:
http://thebasource.com/british-airways-a318-g-euna-operates-ba1-to-london-heathrow/

Bit of a mystery! or BA's shortest passenger flight?

Well there's plenty of room at LHR!

readytotaxi

Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:02 pm

Will have to line up with everyone else at JFK having missed the Shannon pre-clearence. :(
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

vfw614

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Take off was at 09:56 UTC and descent began at 10:06 UTC. That was a quick diversion, wonder what the medical issue was that such a quick reaction was taken.

CarbonFibre

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:32 pm

vfw614 wrote:
Take off was at 09:56 UTC and descent began at 10:06 UTC. That was a quick diversion, wonder what the medical issue was that such a quick reaction was taken.

It wasn't medical related. It was a planned flight to get the passengers to the US and to position the aircraft for storage. BA1 /2 are cancelled after today.

vhtje

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:33 pm

It's been a long time since BA1 was at LHR...
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

LTU932

Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:28 pm

vhtje wrote:
I believe back then, the callsign was Speedbird Concorde 1?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Springbok743

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:01 pm

LTU932 wrote:
vhtje wrote:

That's right. Probably last time it was there it taxied about with a Union Jack or two out of the Cockpit windows as well :D
Last edited by Springbok743 on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AstanaMagic

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:07 pm

G-EUNA seems to be on the move at LHR, any ideas where she is heading for storage? NWI or GLA?
2020: AGP, KSQ, LGW, LHR, MXP, SVQ, TAS, XRY, ZRH
A/C: 32B, 32S, 752, 763, E90
A/L: BA, HY, LX, 2L

Arion640

Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:33 pm

Springbok743 wrote:
LTU932 wrote:
vhtje wrote:

That's right. Probably last time it was there it taxied about with a Union Jack or two out of the Cockpit windows as well :D

And it was captured on film. Not sure about the union jacks though!

https://youtu.be/2s4e_1O8veQ

flyingphil

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:27 pm

chonetsao

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:34 pm

It was a normal flight, there was one passenger onboard. Once the flight took off, it was announced that it would be cancelled until further notice. So the flight went to LHR, the sole passenger was transferred to a B777 heading to JFK.

readytotaxi

Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:08 pm

Let's BA upgraded the pax for the inconvenience.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

chonetsao

Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:52 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Let's BA upgraded the pax for the inconvenience.

Yes, according to the passenger, he got a First class seat and a Jaguar transfer.

FlyCaledonian

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:49 pm

flyingphil wrote:

Do have to wonder if the BA1/BA2 service will resume.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

chunhimlai

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:07 pm

flyingphil

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:50 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
http://www.flyertea.com/thread-3475741-1-1.html

Here is the trip report

———
Thanks for the link - quite an experience.
Maybe the flight will resume in September? Otherwise BA has an odd A318.
G-EUNB was sold/leased to Titan
Google translated from Chinese !

Maybe many people are new to this flight BA001. This is the code originally used on Heathrow ’s LHR-Kennedy JFK British Airways supersonic flight number-until the supersonic aircraft retired, this flight number was used on the London City Airport LCY-JFK flight. This route BA001 is operated by the narrow-body aircraft A318 (it can be said that it is the smallest commercial operating model to date across the Atlantic), and this flight is characterized by the aircraft's full business class without economy and first class There are eight rows and 32 seats in 2-2 format. BA001 was taken off from a small airport near London. Shannon first arrived in Ireland and stopped to refuel. By the way, business class passengers can enter the US Customs in advance. Therefore, after landing in New York JFK, it will be reached by US domestic flights. Checked. The return trip BA002 arrived in London by direct JFK to LCY, to some extent, it is convenient for many business people to travel faster to reach the urban area. British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK
BA318
British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK
London City Airport LCY
Airport traffic and check-in

I booked this flight through British Airways' own system. I returned from London to New York with a premium economy class of 26,000 British Airways avios + US $ 560 tax (especially the tax from London is notoriously high)
Later, the owner of British Airways GGL used my Gold upgrade for one to upgrade to Business Class and redeemed this flight BA001. British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK United Kingdom Aviation BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK
Third, the airport VIP service

Since the London City Airport is very small, there are no lounges in the airport. And all passengers of BA001 will be able to use the ticket to go to a designated restaurant in the airport in exchange for a breakfast ~ British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK
I received BA001 invitation email from BA staff at LCY airport one day before departure ~
Because of the epidemic, the restaurant did not have any other guests
I simply ordered an English breakfast and I was full ~
Fourth, boarding and welcome

No one was found after arriving at the gate. I was told that I was the only passenger today, and I was shocked! Is it so lucky that I have my private jet back to New York today? (The host is flight 3/18. At that time, the British and Europeans had banned entry to the United States.) British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK
LCY 2B is a shuttle bus gate that has been provided to BA001
Sole Ferry Passenger
(I'm so anxious in my heart!)
This is my private charter today ~ 10 year old British Airways A318!
V. Engine Room Facilities and Services

After boarding, it was welcomed by the two captains, the deputy captains and the three flight attendants, and they kept joking with me, saying that the plane is yours today ~ wherever you want to go, what you want to do Why British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK
The front cabin is served by an older woman, and the rear cabin is served by two men.
As mentioned earlier, there are 8 rows and 32 seats in a 2-2 format.
It is worth mentioning that the position of this business class can be flattened on all trips
The A318 is not equipped with any electronic products ~ but the flight attendant will provide a tablet computer after takeoff
The interior of the aircraft still looks quite new and very atmospheric!
Tiny personal narrow body machine
British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK British Airways BA001 Private Jet? London LCY-New York JFK
The space between the seats is also quite long. The only problem is that there are gaps in privacy compared to its existing old business class and new business class.
Private security introduction ~
Share the menu and drink options for today's flight
Appetizer sushi ~ really rare
However, many famous aviation websites have said that BA001 has always maintained the most luxurious original supersonic dining for guests ~
What I didn't expect is that the flight attendant came to me shortly after taking off and said I'm sorry, this flight has been canceled. We will now take you to Heathrow Airport, and you will take another British Airways flight back to New York JFK .
Suddenly I was stupid! When I booked this route, I was flying to BA001, because I knew that this route would be cancelled until September due to the epidemic, and many aviation-related websites said that this route would not return. Because in recent years British Airways has continuously improved the equipment from Heathrow to Kennedy and the improvement of various aspects, this flight has been losing money. But at this point my private charter ended like this?
There was no way. After landing Heathrow, I waited for about ten minutes. The GGL team sent me to pick me up and re-check the security boarding pass to transfer me to another flight from Heathrow to Kennedy ...
That's horrible! From BA001 who always wanted to fly and was a private charter to an 18-year-old 772 ... wouldn't you even give me a 744?
But there is no way. How many flights have been cancelled? I'm lucky to send me back ...
Okay ~ It ’s considered that BA has conscience to apply for first class
Then I will continue to make the first class report of BA772 ~
Compared with other airlines ’first-class seat equipment, BA is not so dominant, and the latest British Airways business class is more private than first-class. For details, check the pictures online!
I am the only first class guest on the flight today. It seems that the epidemic really hit all airlines ... How could the first class on such a busy Heathrow-Kennedy route be completely empty?
The first class of the BA772 looks a lot smaller than the BA744 first class I've sat in before
I have always liked the design of the window of the BA First Class ~
Appetizer selected salad with honey sauce
I chose American beef with French red wine as the staple food ~
The essence of this beef bone is really amazing ~
For dessert, choose strawberry ice cream ~
I walked around after eating and found that the business class was completely empty! I was shocked and asked the flight attendants. They said that almost every day flight to the United States after the ban on British entry from the United States. And even if the whole plane is not alone, it will continue to fly this Heathrow to Kennedy route. It seems that British Airways really fought to protect this most profitable and busiest route in the world!
About three hours before landing, I decided to take a nap for a while ~
And this afternoon, while browsing TPG's aviation news, he found that the BA001 private charter flight he was flying was also mentioned by TPG. At the same time, it also said the uncertainty of whether the route will not return afterwards.
Overall, it was a dream for me. After all, at least I took the A318 with flight number BA001 to Heathrow, although the final destination was not New York. However, I still hope that BA will resume this route in September. After all, I believe that there are still many people who love aviation on this route and want to take it.
Finally, I wish you all to protect yourself at the moment of the epidemic, and hope that this earth can recover soon, Stay Safe!

ro318
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:01 pm

Nice to see G-EUNB back at JFK today
https://www.flightradar24.com/AWC571W/24443f0d

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos