Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fca767

Vegas tower becomes Vegas Traffic

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:35 am

I'm not sure what happened yet but i've just uploaded condensed ATC of Vegas and the German Airforce when i started hearing traffic instead of tower.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLNjdoQ ... e=youtu.be

32andBelow

Re: Vegas tower becomes Vegas Traffic

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:47 am

They got CoronaD

Newark727

Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:58 am

I really have no idea how you'd go about running an airport that large/busy as a CTAF.

AirFiero

Re: LAS airport closed

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:10 am

atcsundevil wrote:
AAtakeMeAway wrote:
I'm curious - why did eclipse cause so much headache for ATC?

Everyone flew into the path of totality, then turned and and flew home at the same time. I've never seen more VFR traffic advisories issued in a single session in my life.

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Not of it’s one in, one out. At most only 3 or 4 taxiing at a time. It was funny at LGA, only plane moving during PATCO strike, uncontrolled.

LAS had a line of 20+ aircraft waiting for departure when I looked this morning. It obviously took quite a long time to clear out.

http://airportviewer.com/airport/KLAS

There are aircraft arriving and departing LAS right now. How/who decides who gets to operate there?

blueflyer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:12 am

ATCJesus wrote:
I doubt the FAA would waive these requirements due to liability if something happened.

I'm not sure the FAA is very concerned about liability. It is possible but difficult to sue the federal government and its agencies for tort, and recovery is limited to actual damages and no interest prior to judgement. It's rather unattractive for lawyers working on a contingency fee basis because punitive damages is where they make their money, generally. Even if an ATCo intentionally vectored a plane with your spouse on board into the side of a mountain, the most you'd be able to claim against the FAA is lost income, funeral expenses, and any other expense directly related to the crash that you can prove. Not a huge sum unless you happen to be Astrid Menks. The ATCo would most likely be facing murder charges, but that's not of much help from a damages perspective.

fca767 wrote:
I'm not sure what happened yet but i've just uploaded condensed ATC of Vegas and the German Airforce when i started hearing traffic instead of tower.

Germany (and several other countries) is operating repatriation flights to bring stranded citizens back home. Its air transport fleet is rather limited, so Lufthansa, Eurowings, and Condor have also been called in to help, including flying to places that normally do not have scheduled flights back to the homeland (e.g. the government chartered a Lufty 748 to pick up tourists stranded in MNL).

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 am

Doubt this is a really a concern for Southwest at the moment. Much bigger issues sadly for airlines. Flights in general are empty but LAS is especially empty I'm sure. City is shut down. Consolidating some flights wouldn't even be bad or a problem right now. Southwests huge issue is totally empty planes and no one buying summer travel right now.

DL717

Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:44 am

bhill wrote:
Would it not be possible to have retired controllers fill in, or perhaps Air Force reservist in that MOS?

It’s an AFSC, but the Air Force has mobile units that can be deployed (MACS/RAPCON) Possibly the Army as well for helo basing. I think the FAA has them, but they might be a shared resource with the Air Force/Army.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Thunderbolt500

Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:24 am

[quote="Flightguy123"]Seems like the LAS tower is closed. 30+ diversions so far. Seems very similar to the MDW closure yesterday.
I guess this now means LAS airspace is considered E/G airspace rather than Bravo?

FlightRadar arrivals board showing mostly diverts to socal.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airp ... s/arrivals

https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mou ... &icao=klas[/quote
What's E/G airspace vs bravo

wxman11

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:13 am

fca767 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLNjdoQ ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for sharing the video link. Very, very rare to hear commercial airline pilots make the traffic calls as if they were at an uncontrolled airport, like use general aviation pilots at Class E/G airports. Bet the airline pilots had to do a quick refresher course.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Thunderbolt500 wrote:
Flightguy123 wrote:
Seems like the LAS tower is closed. 30+ diversions so far. Seems very similar to the MDW closure yesterday.
I guess this now means LAS airspace is considered E/G airspace rather than Bravo?

FlightRadar arrivals board showing mostly diverts to socal.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airp ... s/arrivals

https://www.liveatc.net/hlisten.php?mou ... &icao=klas[/quote
What's E/G airspace vs bravo

Level of ATC control. High level is Class A, positive control, everybody of an IFR clearance. Ckass G is uncontrolled. In between is in between.

atcsundevil

Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:39 pm

This thread has been locked to consolidate into an ATC impacts thread. Please continue discussion there.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1443231

✈️ atcsundevil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos