Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSAatSAN4Ever
Topic Author

Honolulu (HNL) & San Diego (SAN) Terminal Questions

Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:50 pm

Greetings to all - mods, please move if this belongs elsewhere.

A couple of questions about HNL airport.

First, if one does a Google search, virtually all maps of the passenger facilities are shown upside-down:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1536&bih=722&ei=3vF0XsqwLpHb-gT-5IawCA&q=HNL+terminal+map&oq=HNL+terminal+map&gs_l=img.3..0j0i8i30l3j0i24.1662.4520..4817...0.0..0.168.1548.12j4......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30.zENSxt9WiW0&ved=0ahUKEwjKl5X9vqnoAhWRrZ4KHX6yAYYQ4dUDCAY&uact=5

To my knowledge, this is the only airport whose diagrams where North is NOT at the top of the page.

Why is this? Is there some comparative advantage that only seems to work for this airport?

Second: In the discussion on the San Diego airport (SAN) thread, I was reminded that, in the United States, there are no isolated areas post-security for departing international passengers. You are free to mingle with other domestic-departing passengers in the same facilities.

But both HNL and SAN have had and/or currently do have "isolation" gates, where all passengers can be "separated" from others, via a closing door. In 2009, my Hawaiian Airlines flight HNL-SAN departed from Gate 25. This gate, at the time, was not open-air at all - one had to show their boarding pass to the agent to enter this area, and after we were all checked-in, the door was locked behind us, and then we waited a bit until it was time for boarding. SAN had the same set-up at the old international gate, but if I remember right, Hawaiian used this same gate and waiting area (with the sliding doors left open) until T2West was completed and they moved over there.

What would the purpose of gates like these before? Were these originally designed for international departures only?

My international flying experiences are limited, by the way, to three times at LAX (LAX-MLM, MLM-LAX, and LAX-FRA) and one arrival at SAN (ZRH-SAN), but the SAN arrival was in July, 2017, just before the new international terminal opened.

Thanks in advance for the information!! And a big hearty Prost to the day when flying returns to "normal"!

ScottB

Re: Honolulu (HNL) & San Diego (SAN) Terminal Questions

Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:55 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
A couple of questions about HNL airport.

First, if one does a Google search, virtually all maps of the passenger facilities are shown upside-down:

To my knowledge, this is the only airport whose diagrams where North is NOT at the top of the page.

I wouldn't necessarily say that's true. Most maps of the OAK terminals have the gates/concourses at the top even though the terminal complex faces southwest. Similarly, the Barbara Jordan Terminal at AUS has the concourse to the south, but many maps have that area at the top of the diagram. Many maps of IAD have the Saarinen terminal at the bottom even though it is north of the remote concourses.

But in those cases, as with HNL, the landside tends to be at the bottom of the map, with gates/concourses at the top. This is also a common choice.

Polot

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:00 pm

Having terminal landslide be “south” and airside “north” is probably the most common terminal map layout. Visitors don’t know (or really care) which way is true north, they are trying to navigate through the terminal and tend to view “up” on a map as forward.

Now for the overall airport layout they might use north as up as people may be trying to get an understanding of the layout based on how they are approaching airport.

airportugal310

Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:03 pm

Gate 25 (now B gates) at HNL is outside of the usual Agricultural inspection area since its within the Interisland terminal, and as such, "ag" is located in the gate area. To be let in, they typically will check your boarding pass (but not always)
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

airportugal310

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:55 pm

Disregard my comment above. I was mistaken about 25...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

aloha73g

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 pm

One reason may be that in Hawai'i we do not really use North, South, East and West. All directions are generally given using Mauka (towards the Mountains) or Makai (towards the Ocean) as well as lots of reliance on landmarks ... particularly landmarks that are at the edge or point of an Island such as Diamond Head, Koko Head, Ewa, etc.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos