Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
PANAMsterdam
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:32 am

bravoindia wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

To start to recover, we dont need a vaccine. The vaccine can be a nail in the coffin to the virus.

What we need is a treatment. A set of drugs that can put this virus in check. If we can get that, things can start to come to life again. That shouldnt take anywhere near a year. Hopefully just 2-3 more months.

And once this treatment is announced it will be back to business as people will think it is contained and believe even more that it's just another flu. Once this happens I am confident that people who have been cooped up for two months will hit the road with a vengeance. Airlines just need to hold on for another few months.


Agree just a couple more months I do think it will come back of course there will be cuts and smaller carriers but I believe people want to get out and travel. Sometimes I wonder if my opinion is just in a hope that it gets back quicker than expected.


But how can people travel if they lost their jobs? 16 million+ Americans lost their jobs in just 4 weeks time. That number could double if this crisis continues for months and months. So as soon as there might be a cure/vaccine/way to suppress the virus I think the last thing on people's mind will be booking a holiday to Cancun but finding a new job will be the first.
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.
 
AEROFAN
Posts: 1848
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:47 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:39 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
bravoindia wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
And once this treatment is announced it will be back to business as people will think it is contained and believe even more that it's just another flu. Once this happens I am confident that people who have been cooped up for two months will hit the road with a vengeance. Airlines just need to hold on for another few months.


Agree just a couple more months I do think it will come back of course there will be cuts and smaller carriers but I believe people want to get out and travel. Sometimes I wonder if my opinion is just in a hope that it gets back quicker than expected.


But how can people travel if they lost their jobs? 16 million+ Americans lost their jobs in just 4 weeks time. That number could double if this crisis continues for months and months. So as soon as there might be a cure/vaccine/way to suppress the virus I think the last thing on people's mind will be booking a holiday to Cancun but finding a new job will be the first.

Many of the people who lost their jobs were not going to travel anyhow. When airlines provide further discounts to get people on seats (they better), there will be a buying frenzy.
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ~Harlan Ellison~
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:19 pm

The pent up demand theory might hold some legs for next summer ie summer 2021. It won't be this summer 2020.

1.borders are closed 2. It's too close at this point alot of people book summer travel by now 3.the general public does not feed safe 4. Maybe the most import alot of the biggest destinations are closed Disney, Universal, mlb games, NBA playoffs, cruises, theme parks, ski/summer resorts, Vegas, new orleans, NYC.

This summer is gonna see people playing catch up on missing out on life not flying. You will see people day trip, rent RVs , anything where they don't have to fly or being crowds of people. Flying being stuck In a small space and crowded in airports I just don't see happening this summer anywhere near a surge. The airlines all know this and are adjusting schedules don't worry massive updates coming for june, July and August still. Most just haven't had time to update but no airline is waiting for a summer massive surge to be travel back
 
LNCS0930
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:13 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

To start to recover, we dont need a vaccine. The vaccine can be a nail in the coffin to the virus.

What we need is a treatment. A set of drugs that can put this virus in check. If we can get that, things can start to come to life again. That shouldnt take anywhere near a year. Hopefully just 2-3 more months.

And once this treatment is announced it will be back to business as people will think it is contained and believe even more that it's just another flu. Once this happens I am confident that people who have been cooped up for two months will hit the road with a vengeance. Airlines just need to hold on for another few months.


2020 is done. It's way more than a few months. Companies cannot ask people to fly for business until they have a vaccine. They just won't it's not a good image and puts them in a legal position we have no precedent for. It's a liability thing. Random boss at large company says you have to go on business trip , employee gets covid-19 and gets really sick or dies. There is no way to know how that would end in a lawsuit. Vaccine not treatment will bring business travel back. The technology is so there for 90% of people who use to travel for business. It just wasn't socially acceptable , but it now is. My large company laid off all of our road warriors already or made them apply for other jobs. All company travel is banned for 2020 no exceptions. Most large companies already have that.

Leisure I do think will come back. But even before they fly , people will do road trips and rent RVs alot this summer, do day trips. Things to avoid planes, trains , amusements parks, cruises ,and movie theaters


I still suspect a vaccine isn’t coming for 3-5 years at least. At some stage this fall they’ll probably concede and make that announcement that sorry guys it ain’t happening anytime soon. Resume your pre March 2020 lives at your own risk. Also many people will refuse to get the vaccine anyway so we will continue to have outbreaks. I know I definitely won’t get it til it’s out for a minimum of 1-3 years
 
LAXdude1023
Posts: 6121
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:54 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
And once this treatment is announced it will be back to business as people will think it is contained and believe even more that it's just another flu. Once this happens I am confident that people who have been cooped up for two months will hit the road with a vengeance. Airlines just need to hold on for another few months.


2020 is done. It's way more than a few months. Companies cannot ask people to fly for business until they have a vaccine. They just won't it's not a good image and puts them in a legal position we have no precedent for. It's a liability thing. Random boss at large company says you have to go on business trip , employee gets covid-19 and gets really sick or dies. There is no way to know how that would end in a lawsuit. Vaccine not treatment will bring business travel back. The technology is so there for 90% of people who use to travel for business. It just wasn't socially acceptable , but it now is. My large company laid off all of our road warriors already or made them apply for other jobs. All company travel is banned for 2020 no exceptions. Most large companies already have that.

Leisure I do think will come back. But even before they fly , people will do road trips and rent RVs alot this summer, do day trips. Things to avoid planes, trains , amusements parks, cruises ,and movie theaters


I still suspect a vaccine isn’t coming for 3-5 years at least. At some stage this fall they’ll probably concede and make that announcement that sorry guys it ain’t happening anytime soon. Resume your pre March 2020 lives at your own risk. Also many people will refuse to get the vaccine anyway so we will continue to have outbreaks. I know I definitely won’t get it til it’s out for a minimum of 1-3 years


Its treatment that can help us restart. There are promising signs with a few drugs like Remdisivir. When we can get treatment, people will feel better about resuming their lives. Nobody is going to stay isolated until a vaccine is out and we honestly shouldnt.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!
 
blockski
Posts: 687
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:59 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
The pent up demand theory might hold some legs for next summer ie summer 2021. It won't be this summer 2020.

1.borders are closed 2. It's too close at this point alot of people book summer travel by now 3.the general public does not feed safe 4. Maybe the most import alot of the biggest destinations are closed Disney, Universal, mlb games, NBA playoffs, cruises, theme parks, ski/summer resorts, Vegas, new orleans, NYC.

This summer is gonna see people playing catch up on missing out on life not flying. You will see people day trip, rent RVs , anything where they don't have to fly or being crowds of people. Flying being stuck In a small space and crowded in airports I just don't see happening this summer anywhere near a surge. The airlines all know this and are adjusting schedules don't worry massive updates coming for june, July and August still. Most just haven't had time to update but no airline is waiting for a summer massive surge to be travel back


Some demand might be pent up, but a lot of it is gone.

If I'm cancelling a vacation for this summer, I'm not going to magically take two vacations next summer to make up for it. The air travel for one of those vacations is gone and it's never coming back.

Same with lots of business travel. A conference that was cancelled won't re-schedule two versions of the same conference next year.
 
Silver1SWA
Posts: 4672
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:43 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
bravoindia wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
And once this treatment is announced it will be back to business as people will think it is contained and believe even more that it's just another flu. Once this happens I am confident that people who have been cooped up for two months will hit the road with a vengeance. Airlines just need to hold on for another few months.


Agree just a couple more months I do think it will come back of course there will be cuts and smaller carriers but I believe people want to get out and travel. Sometimes I wonder if my opinion is just in a hope that it gets back quicker than expected.


But how can people travel if they lost their jobs? 16 million+ Americans lost their jobs in just 4 weeks time. That number could double if this crisis continues for months and months. So as soon as there might be a cure/vaccine/way to suppress the virus I think the last thing on people's mind will be booking a holiday to Cancun but finding a new job will be the first.


A lot of people out of work right now are people on furlough or temporary lay-off as businesses are temporarily shut down. When businesses reopen, they will recall and rehire. It’s going to be a process and there will be deep wounds in pockets, but things will start moving again and gradually people will start moving around and traveling again.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.
 
CRJ5000
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:02 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:
bravoindia wrote:

Agree just a couple more months I do think it will come back of course there will be cuts and smaller carriers but I believe people want to get out and travel. Sometimes I wonder if my opinion is just in a hope that it gets back quicker than expected.


But how can people travel if they lost their jobs? 16 million+ Americans lost their jobs in just 4 weeks time. That number could double if this crisis continues for months and months. So as soon as there might be a cure/vaccine/way to suppress the virus I think the last thing on people's mind will be booking a holiday to Cancun but finding a new job will be the first.


A lot of people out of work right now are people on furlough or temporary lay-off as businesses are temporarily shut down. When businesses reopen, they will recall and rehire. It’s going to be a process and there will be deep wounds in pockets, but things will start moving again and gradually people will start moving around and traveling again.


There are a lot of lower income jobs in the US that will be back quickly when things open up again, and whose furloughed employees are going to go back to work (at least in the short term) better than they went in. I personally know quite a few people out of work who are making more out of work than they were working with the added federal unemployment pandemic bonus. They are making over $1000 a week on unemployment right now until July 31st (this depends on which state you are in, but is true for many of them). In addition to that, they aren't spending either as there is nothing to spend it on. Some are actually saving for the first time. Obviously the effects of this will linger long beyond July 31st, but in the near term it's possible that they will indeed have some extra money to spend on visiting friends/family out of state or even take that trip to Cancun when it opens up. A lot aren't exactly fiscally responsible, too.
I've stayed working myself, and have saved more money than ever before because I've had no discretionary spending for the first time in years. I personally cannot wait to get on a plane and travel. Won't be everyone, but we're definitely out there.
 
frmrCapCadet
Posts: 4109
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Remdisivir, trials on this are looking a little grim. About the only promising things immediately available are better treatment protocols. Avoid invasive respirators if at all possible, ICU patients to sleep on stomach (what is left of your lungs seems to work better). Pretty grim news. And if you are over 80 and go critical you likely will die.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)
 
evank516
Posts: 2122
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:29 pm

What do we think will happen with the DCA/BOS/ORD Shuttle flights when this tones down?
 
FSDan
Posts: 3279
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:33 pm

evank516 wrote:
What do we think will happen with the DCA/BOS/ORD Shuttle flights when this tones down?


DL and AA have been slowly cutting back frequencies on these over the years already. That could continue. If significant business travel rebounds such that frequency remains very important, there could be downgauges to mostly E75s for a while.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
evank516
Posts: 2122
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:12 pm

FSDan wrote:
evank516 wrote:
What do we think will happen with the DCA/BOS/ORD Shuttle flights when this tones down?


DL and AA have been slowly cutting back frequencies on these over the years already. That could continue. If significant business travel rebounds such that frequency remains very important, there could be downgauges to mostly E75s for a while.


That would stink, especially since DL has A220s as place holders this fall.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7944
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:16 pm

It appears DL is still flying some of the 753s.

I thought on planespotters, they had indicated that all were parked. Maybe not necessarily put into storage, but maybe a rolling parking.

Today there is a revenue flight DTW-RSW and a charter MSP-GRK
 
User avatar
STT757
Posts: 14107
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2000 1:14 am

Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:06 am

Here’s a piece written in December about how Delta had put their bankruptcy behind them and were “pulling away from the pack”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed ... 27fec81c40

The author offers up a few caveats to their rosy outlook, in hindsight he nailed four of them accurately.

“A potential oil price shock

The outbreak and rapid spread of some dread disease

War, particularly big and effective terror attack or greatly heightened geo-political tensions in key areas of the globe

A full-on trade war or trade wars involving the United States breaking out

A recession in the U.S., which though currently not on the horizon was a matter of considerable concern among economists back in the late summer and early fall. Such worries dragged Delta’s stock down to a recent low of under $53 share on Oct. 3

A large-scale data security breech or technology breakdown, or some technology-related complication resulting from government action in this or other nations

Rapid growth of flygskam (or “flight shaming” of those who travel by air by those concerned about the environmental impact of air travel) beyond the Scandinavian countries where it originated and parts of Western Europe where it’s catching on into a real global phenomenon

A major labor disruption (Delta is in tough contract talks with its pilots union currently, though the Air Line Pilots Union unit at Delta does not have a reputation for disruptive behavior)

An event or events that trigger an unexpected jump in concern about air travel safety or safety on Delta flights in particular (note: Delta does not operate any Boeing 737 MAX planes and has none on order)

Scandal (and from the #me too era we’re learning that lots of issues or events that previously wouldn’t cause much more than a few lifted eyebrows now can cause great damage to a company’s reputation and its bottom line)

A huge natural disaster that knocks a significant portion of Delta’s operations offline for an extended period, or otherwise causes a huge drop in passenger demand.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757
 
n7371f
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:14 am

5801 was the only one considered active late last week. But they are swapping in/out aircraft esp those parked in ATL.

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
It appears DL is still flying some of the 753s.

I thought on planespotters, they had indicated that all were parked. Maybe not necessarily put into storage, but maybe a rolling parking.

Today there is a revenue flight DTW-RSW and a charter MSP-GRK
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7944
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:33 pm

It looks like they have kept 3 (or 4?) 753's active with military charters and the occasional revenue flight putting one in each of the hubs. 12 of them are parked at storage facilities.

5801 - active (flying from DTW) last flew 4/27 DTW-RSW-DTW
5802 - stored QRO
5803 - stored QRO
5804 - stored QRO
5805 - stored QRO
5806 - stored QRO
5807 - stored SBD
5808 - stored SBD
5809 - ??? parked at LAX?, last flew 3/27
5810 - stored SBD
5811 - stored SBD
5812 - stored SBD
5813 - stored VCV
5814 - active (flying from MSP) last flew military charter 4/27 MSP-GRK-MSP
5815 - stored SBD
5816 - active (flying from ATL) flying military charter 4/28 ATL-LSF-GRK-ATL
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:41 pm

"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
CIDFlyer
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:11 pm

Saw this in an article on AOL. Doubt If they get it -

Delta wants to suspend flights to nine airports: Lansing, Flint and Grand Rapids in Michigan, and Worcester, Massachusetts, Hilton Head, South Carolina, Pocatello, Idaho, Brunswick, Georgia, and Melbourne, Florida. Delta argues passengers can other use nearby airports.

Delta says between April 1-April 22, just 1 to 14 passengers daily flew on the airline's planes each way from those 9 airports.
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:18 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Saw this in an article on AOL.


Try this URL to access the ^referenced^ article:

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/202 ... /24132754/
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7780
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:27 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Saw this in an article on AOL. Doubt If they get it -

Delta wants to suspend flights to nine airports: Lansing, Flint and Grand Rapids in Michigan, and Worcester, Massachusetts, Hilton Head, South Carolina, Pocatello, Idaho, Brunswick, Georgia, and Melbourne, Florida. Delta argues passengers can other use nearby airports.

Delta says between April 1-April 22, just 1 to 14 passengers daily flew on the airline's planes each way from those 9 airports.


DL lawyers at work - arguing that it will be safer for DL employees if they operate fewer stations.

You can find the original exemption request in the docket posted 4/28/20.

https://beta.regulations.gov/docket/DOT-OST-2020-0037
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7944
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm

For the time being they'd be better having a CRJ that flies DTW-CIU instead do a tag DTW-FNT-CIU instead of flying a single daily CR9 on FNT-ATL

Heck just have a CRJ-200 round-robin in DTW-GRR-LAN-FNT-DTW.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:49 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
Saw this in an article on AOL. Doubt If they get it -

Delta wants to suspend flights to nine airports: Lansing, Flint and Grand Rapids in Michigan, and Worcester, Massachusetts, Hilton Head, South Carolina, Pocatello, Idaho, Brunswick, Georgia, and Melbourne, Florida. Delta argues passengers can other use nearby airports.

Delta says between April 1-April 22, just 1 to 14 passengers daily flew on the airline's planes each way from those 9 airports.


Quick point of order: DL is not trying to suspend service from GRR; they listed it as an alternative to LAN.

Cities listed in the request:

HHH
PIH
PIA
LAN
AZO
MLB
FNT
BQK
ORH

Thank you for the link, MIflyer12.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
AZORMP
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:45 pm

NWAESC wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:
Saw this in an article on AOL. Doubt If they get it -

Delta wants to suspend flights to nine airports: Lansing, Flint and Grand Rapids in Michigan, and Worcester, Massachusetts, Hilton Head, South Carolina, Pocatello, Idaho, Brunswick, Georgia, and Melbourne, Florida. Delta argues passengers can other use nearby airports.

Delta says between April 1-April 22, just 1 to 14 passengers daily flew on the airline's planes each way from those 9 airports.


Quick point of order: DL is not trying to suspend service from GRR; they listed it as an alternative to LAN.

Cities listed in the request:

HHH
PIH
PIA
LAN
AZO
MLB
FNT
BQK
ORH

Thank you for the link, MIflyer12.



What are the chances that DL is successful in pulling out of AZO? It seems like the carriers are starting to get most of what they want with the more recent filings.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 264
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm

AZORMP wrote:
What are the chances that DL is successful in pulling out of AZO? It seems like the carriers are starting to get most of what they want with the more recent filings.


I would suspect that any possible suspension of AZO or LAN would be temporary; historically, DL has had strong business/government contracts in both markets. FNT may be permanent.

I do ponder why DL doesn't operate bus service to all three markets, like NW inadvertently did in the olden days. One bus could stop at AZO, whereas another could do both FNT and LAN.
 
User avatar
knope2001
Posts: 3021
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:54 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:12 am

United also applied to drop AZO because Grand Rapids is so near. If they were both approved it would leave Kalamazoo with a single AA* flight to Chicago.

I won't say there's no waiver worth considering -- markets dropped solidly before Covid 19, maybe some seasonal additions, etc. But a lot of the exemption requests are about where an airline thinks they can come up with a good enough excuse. Delta, United and probably others would drop dozens of cities if they could but they can only come up with a plausible reason at a smaller subset of those markets. There are around 75 markets Delta will be down to 1x/day in May and I bet they'd suspend a ton of them they could come up with a good excuse.
Last edited by knope2001 on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:22 am

DL has its own employees in FNT and MLB. I wonder what happens to them if these requests are granted? DL accepted PPP funds, so they can’t be laid off near term. It’ll be interesting to watch play out
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 7944
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:29 am

Yep, good point, knope2001. They would probably love to shed a lot more if they could. It concerns me as there is no time horizon listed in the filing.

Nice try DL but I don't see this one getting approved.
 
umichman
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:41 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
AZORMP wrote:
What are the chances that DL is successful in pulling out of AZO? It seems like the carriers are starting to get most of what they want with the more recent filings.


I would suspect that any possible suspension of AZO or LAN would be temporary; historically, DL has had strong business/government contracts in both markets. FNT may be permanent.

I do ponder why DL doesn't operate bus service to all three markets, like NW inadvertently did in the olden days. One bus could stop at AZO, whereas another could do both FNT and LAN.


Lansing has the Michigan Flyer bus service to DTW (temporarily suspended for now).
 
boilerla
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:30 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:08 am

AEROFAN wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:
bravoindia wrote:

Agree just a couple more months I do think it will come back of course there will be cuts and smaller carriers but I believe people want to get out and travel. Sometimes I wonder if my opinion is just in a hope that it gets back quicker than expected.


But how can people travel if they lost their jobs? 16 million+ Americans lost their jobs in just 4 weeks time. That number could double if this crisis continues for months and months. So as soon as there might be a cure/vaccine/way to suppress the virus I think the last thing on people's mind will be booking a holiday to Cancun but finding a new job will be the first.

Many of the people who lost their jobs were not going to travel anyhow. When airlines provide further discounts to get people on seats (they better), there will be a buying frenzy.

lol, the hubris. Sure, the 20 million people that are just now filing for unemployment were "too poor" too fly before. Sure.

How about this...companies will not allow their employees to travel for a long time. I work for a tech company that has suspend all travel abroad. We regularly have people traveling to India, China, Germany, Australia and Israel. We are allowed to travel in paid J, and regularly have 100s of people traveling every month. And now...zilch. Zero. For all of 2020. Latest word is that no travel will be allowed until Spring 2021 when a vaccine is more regularly available.
 
chrogb43
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:45 am

NWAESC wrote:
DL has its own employees in FNT and MLB. I wonder what happens to them if these requests are granted? DL accepted PPP funds, so they can’t be laid off near term. It’ll be interesting to watch play out


MLB is very senior, not sure about FNT. I suspect MLB is going to get quite a few retirement package takers if there is a medical component. DL may not even have to lay off anyone from most Florida stations if they offer an attractive package. Ready reserves who have been waiting for FT for years may be pleasantly surprised.
 
User avatar
NWAROOSTER
Posts: 1329
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:29 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:19 am

Using buses would most likely subject passengers to distances less than the "required" social distancing of about six feet. But requiring airlines to fly with single digit passengers or numbers in the teens may not be the smartest either. I do not know how to solve the problem. Someone was just recently driven from Florida to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for treatment. I wondered why the person could not go to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, FL. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......
 
n7371f
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:27 am

Sadly, it's unlikely there will be DAL employees in these cities, and many others, once the $ runs out in the fall. All options are on the table regarding head count. One possibility is a NWA-like bankruptcy plan to remove mainline employees from all stations below a certain operating metric (number of flights/passengers/aircraft size). If DAL is going to keep utilizing DGS at a station like GEG which would've pushed 18-19 flights in the summer under the old schedule, the days of FNT's, MLB's and DAB's are numbered I'm afraid in this armageddon.

chrogb43 wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
DL has its own employees in FNT and MLB. I wonder what happens to them if these requests are granted? DL accepted PPP funds, so they can’t be laid off near term. It’ll be interesting to watch play out


MLB is very senior, not sure about FNT. I suspect MLB is going to get quite a few retirement package takers if there is a medical component. DL may not even have to lay off anyone from most Florida stations if they offer an attractive package. Ready reserves who have been waiting for FT for years may be pleasantly surprised.
 
chrogb43
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:26 am

n7371f wrote:
Sadly, it's unlikely there will be DAL employees in these cities, and many others, once the $ runs out in the fall. All options are on the table regarding head count. One possibility is a NWA-like bankruptcy plan to remove mainline employees from all stations below a certain operating metric (number of flights/passengers/aircraft size). If DAL is going to keep utilizing DGS at a station like GEG which would've pushed 18-19 flights in the summer under the old schedule, the days of FNT's, MLB's and DAB's are numbered I'm afraid in this armageddon.

chrogb43 wrote:
NWAESC wrote:
DL has its own employees in FNT and MLB. I wonder what happens to them if these requests are granted? DL accepted PPP funds, so they can’t be laid off near term. It’ll be interesting to watch play out


MLB is very senior, not sure about FNT. I suspect MLB is going to get quite a few retirement package takers if there is a medical component. DL may not even have to lay off anyone from most Florida stations if they offer an attractive package. Ready reserves who have been waiting for FT for years may be pleasantly surprised.


It doesn’t even have to be the smaller stations outsourced. Look what DL did to SLC cargo and ATL mail.......hubs! They did that while they were printing cash.
 
Lootess
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 6:15 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:31 am

I expect all those cities to get denied based on the recent decision to deny UA's request. It's not like there are many carriers serving MLB and HHH.

FLT is probably the worst case there with 73 miles to DTW. DL should just tag these Michigan markets.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:15 am

n7371f wrote:
Sadly, it's unlikely there will be DAL employees in these cities, and many others, once the $ runs out in the fall.


That's likely a given. I'm more curious about what happens between now and 9/30.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
AZORMP
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:08 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:28 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
AZORMP wrote:
What are the chances that DL is successful in pulling out of AZO? It seems like the carriers are starting to get most of what they want with the more recent filings.


I would suspect that any possible suspension of AZO or LAN would be temporary; historically, DL has had strong business/government contracts in both markets. FNT may be permanent.

I do ponder why DL doesn't operate bus service to all three markets, like NW inadvertently did in the olden days. One bus could stop at AZO, whereas another could do both FNT and LAN.


I agree that the suspensions are temporary, as DL was the big player in AZO’s market. They’re now down to one CRJ2 a day starting 02MAY until at least 15MAY. Then, supposedly, the second flight comes back as a 9E turn.

There were also rumors going around of DL GRR going contract instead of mainline. Not sure if this would accelerate those plans or not.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:14 pm

Rumors of line stations being farmed out have been going forever. Anything is possible, but it won't speed up/slow down any network planning decisions.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
evank516
Posts: 2122
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:49 pm

Wow DL applied to suspend MLB. That would be their first suspension there since they started if by some fat chance it is approved. I think they've been in MLB uninterrupted since what,1980?
 
chrogb43
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:02 pm

Delta employees in Florida who are on a LOA are being denied unemployment.
 
klkla
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:51 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:25 pm

Detroit313 wrote:
Delta is extremely weak in Australia, New Zealand, Tokyo and Hong Kong. You need to have presence and partners in those markets to be profitable in Los Angeles.


This statement is so funny. While all four of those places have a high amount of O&D from Los Angeles, there is no reason they have to have partners in those markets to be profitable. Those markets aren't that important in larger scheme of things. There is a big world out there besides those markets.
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:24 am

chrogb43 wrote:
Delta employees in Florida who are on a LOA are being denied unemployment.


Please post a source supporting this claim.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
chrogb43
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:42 am

DL747400 wrote:
chrogb43 wrote:
Delta employees in Florida who are on a LOA are being denied unemployment.


Please post a source supporting this claim.


You’re welcome to watch todays town hall where Florida based employees commented and HR’s response to them.
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:47 am

There’s definitely plenty to pick from.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
2175301
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:10 am

chrogb43 wrote:
Delta employees in Florida who are on a LOA are being denied unemployment.


That may not be Delta's fault. Each State has slightly different rules for unemployment (unemployment is a State program).

I recently went through the process here in Wisconsin as I had a paycheck in the last 18 months, and had to file for unemployment first to see if I qualified for that- before I could file for the Federal Government "CARES" act support for the self employed affected by Covid-19.

Looking over the questions I had to answer (I have a printout) I believe Wisconsin would also deny unemployment compensation for anyone on a voluntary leave of absence.

Have a great day,
 
User avatar
NWAESC
Posts: 1481
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:13 am

Wisconsin is not denying claims submitted by DL employees.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."
 
n7371f
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:34 am

FLA's unemployment is f'd up - and that's being kind. I have numerous former colleagues and friends who continue to get the run around even though they're clearly unemployed and/or their personal business are broke. It's a heaping pile.

chrogb43 wrote:
Delta employees in Florida who are on a LOA are being denied unemployment.
 
chrogb43
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:12 am

n7371f wrote:
FLA's unemployment is f'd up - and that's being kind. I have numerous former colleagues and friends who continue to get the run around even though they're clearly unemployed and/or their personal business are broke. It's a heaping pile.

chrogb43 wrote:
Delta employees in Florida who are on a LOA are being denied unemployment.


Indeed. I know several current employees in Florida who took a 60 or 90 day cancelling the last 30 or 60 days, and they tell me nearly everyone they know who took one is cancelling as well as people who haven’t started their LOA yet.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:30 am

In most states it takes the company to reject the initial claim. then the state reviews but it usually takes the company to try to fight it to get denied

delta could say this was voluntary and be fighting them. other states maybe reject deltas objection and they get unemployment?
 
B757Forever
Posts: 879
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:06 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
In most states it takes the company to reject the initial claim. then the state reviews but it usually takes the company to try to fight it to get denied

delta could say this was voluntary and be fighting them. other states maybe reject deltas objection and they get unemployment?


For the DL employees in Georgia, me included, DL filed unemployment for us. I started being paid exactly as stated, 10 days after my last day worked.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:12 am

B757Forever wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
In most states it takes the company to reject the initial claim. then the state reviews but it usually takes the company to try to fight it to get denied

delta could say this was voluntary and be fighting them. other states maybe reject deltas objection and they get unemployment?


For the DL employees in Georgia, me included, DL filed unemployment for us. I started being paid exactly as stated, 10 days after my last day worked.


Did you chose to take a 30,60, 90 day unpaid leave or were you laid off, quit, no set return date something like? Trying to think what could be different. Maybe Florida is just the worst state to file, i heard some terrible things from Disney Employees before the Unions stepped in and helped make their demands be done for everyone.

Remember ever state is different:
Maybe because of Georgia's laws they(delta) everyone qualifies and they submitted automatically (some states require them too when numbers are large enought) They maybe were not doing it because they are so caring or nice but of course would spin it that way.

and because of Florida's laws they appealed because in that state they know they could appeal and win?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos