Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MIflyer12

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 pm

Yes, they probably do have an idea how big they'll be - based on a projection of demand (both passenger count and fares). A wise man once told me 'Every forecast is wrong - it's just how quickly, how badly, and in what direction.' I don't think I would go so far as to declare that 'hiding worse treatment of non-union groups.' DL has a headcount forecast for the end of the year - it had to prepare it and submit it for the second round of CARES Act loans (which, along with United, it says it isn't sure it wants to take).

It's not a union that's protecting pilots - it's displacement protocol and training needs. A union wouldn't give FAs 'equal footing' - FAs can work any DL plane so inverse-seniority displacement doesn't create training needs that have to be avoided to keep a mixed fleet in the air, and - in contrast to pilots - don't require thousands of hours of training and experience. That's why I think mechanics will do a little better (smaller cuts) than FAs, which will likely do better than admin (which probably won't see numbers publicly announced). Some people are more readily replaced than others. That is a reality of the workplace. It just takes longer to work through pilot displacements; it's completely sensible to start there.

Unless you're part of the magical-thinking bunch who argues demand is going to come back quickly and sharply (oh, 95% by 1Q21), it's not really a question if Delta is going to have some involuntary layoffs (or furloughs if you prefer the word, or fractional pay to stay at home). The matter in question is if DL handles it smarter - with more generosity, with better communications, preserving more operational flexibility, better customer service, and a faster return to normal profits and profit sharing - than most other U.S. carriers.

n9801f

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:24 am

Those are good points.

But I notice that “equity” (fairness) is missing from the conclusion.

This is a critical point where unions can help.

nwadeicer

Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:49 am

In an email today, employees in ATL were told that starting July 1st all personal leaves will be terminated. No further leave requests or extensions will be granted. Daily flights will be over 400 per day in July as well. That is 40% of the same time last year. Question is, ATL will now be staffed for the usual 1100 flights a day. What are you going to do with all the extra hands?
I miss the Red Tail

adtall

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:08 am

nwadeicer wrote:
In an email today, employees in ATL were told that starting July 1st all personal leaves will be terminated. No further leave requests or extensions will be granted. Daily flights will be over 400 per day in July as well. That is 40% of the same time last year. Question is, ATL will now be staffed for the usual 1100 flights a day. What are you going to do with all the extra hands?

Not quite, no more leaves or extensions will be given for ACS in Atlanta (assuming other workgroups are not affected but not sure) but all previously approved leaves will continue. Not everyone is coming back, but they're going to get what anecdotally seems to be a fair bunch of people back like me who were extending month by month. That would still keep a bunch of folks on leave so I doubt there will be too many extra hands.

Deltran757

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:35 am

adtall wrote:
nwadeicer wrote:

Not quite, no more leaves or extensions will be given for ACS in Atlanta (assuming other workgroups are not affected but not sure) but all previously approved leaves will continue. Not everyone is coming back, but they're going to get what anecdotally seems to be a fair bunch of people back like me who were extending month by month. That would still keep a bunch of folks on leave so I doubt there will be too many extra hands.

Also to add on. Flights are picking up and there aren’t enough ACS (gate agents) for the extra flights. So many people took the leave here in Atlanta. With the extra lift added in June. Their aren’t enough agents to work flights.
To see the world... One plane at a time

FlyGuyNash

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:36 am

nwadeicer wrote:

The plan is to rebuild Delta's core hubs first DTW, MSP, SLC but with a focus on ATL. 3 weeks ago we were told June would only add about 100 flights a day but they added roughly 280 flights a day in June and July is getting even more added and I am guessing anywhere from 300-400 more flights a day added system wide. By July ATL should average about 450 daily flights compared to pre covid of about average of 970 daily flights (including Saturdays, so the average drops from a normal weekday departure). So I suspect there will be more capacity added in August if they won't let folks extend their LOA past July. I think things are getting better quicker than most thought they would. Still a long ways away from pre covid numbers but even this 7,000 overstaffed in Fall I don't believe anymore. They claimed they planned to be only running 25% of the schedule by Q4 2020 50% Q1-2 2021 and 75% Q3 2021 and by the looks of how much flights are being added back I think we will easily be 50%+ back by end of the year.

nwadeicer

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:47 am

adtall wrote:
nwadeicer wrote:

Gotcha, I reread the memo, it's a bit confusing but yes, it looks like if you're on a PLOC that runs thru July your good. Either way hopefully it's a good sign, baby steps and all...
I miss the Red Tail

adtall

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:46 am

nwadeicer wrote:
adtall wrote:
nwadeicer wrote:

Gotcha, I reread the memo, it's a bit confusing but yes, it looks like if you're on a PLOC that runs thru July your good. Either way hopefully it's a good sign, baby steps and all...

From your keyboard to the aviation gods' ears.

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Was listening in on a webcast with Ed Bastain and some of the corporate travel managers:

- Seeing modest improvement in pax: 25,000/day in April or 5% of normal, today at 65,000/day or 15% of normal
- Business travel originally was virtually only Transportation/Shipping companies (mentioned UPS & FX), now Automative Travel is returning with plants reopening, although business travel is still limited
- International demand, Asia is ahead of the rest of the world. DL is very focussed on Korea currently, large cargo business to Korea, and DTW & SEA are showing promising demand currently
- Break-even for DL would be at 75-80% loads
- 60% cap expected through end of September, although it may be relaxed earlier. Load Factor at 48% currently, so they are bumping up against the cap, and are continuing to add more flights back
- Travel returning faster than expected, so ATL is expected to double from May to July, ATL's July schedule will be close to 50% of prior levels
- Core hubs will continue to come back as well, although not as fast as ATL
- Costal hubs (BOS, SEA, & LA were mentioned) still important
- Demand focussed in Florida (where Ed is living currently), Arizona, & Mountain States. Cities will take longer
- Expect to be finished with LA project in potentially under 3 years
- Credit Card spending down, but not nearly down as much as passenger revenue
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

NWAESC

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Great info and thanks! Do you have a link to this?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:15 pm

NWAESC wrote:

No link yet, I'll try and post it if they release a recording

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:59 pm

NWAESC wrote:

https://event.webcasts.com/starthere.js ... 44f8083dfa

You can register here

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 pm

That is actually the most positive statements we've heard in a long time.

gaystudpilot

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Was listening in on a webcast with Ed Bastain and some of the corporate travel managers:

- Seeing modest improvement in pax: 25,000/day in April or 5% of normal, today at 65,000/day or 15% of normal
- Business travel originally was virtually only Transportation/Shipping companies (mentioned UPS & FX), now Automative Travel is returning with plants reopening, although business travel is still limited
- International demand, Asia is ahead of the rest of the world. DL is very focussed on Korea currently, large cargo business to Korea, and DTW & SEA are showing promising demand currently
- 60% cap expected through end of September, although it may be relaxed earlier. Load Factor at 48% currently, so they are bumping up against the cap, and are continuing to add more flights back
- Travel returning faster than expected, so ATL is expected to double from May to July, ATL's July schedule will be close to 50% of prior levels
- Demand focussed in Florida (where Ed is living currently), Arizona, & Mountain States. Cities will take longer

I hate to sound pessimistic, but these “rebound” numbers seem eerily similar to the current performance of the S&P 500 index.

It will be interesting to watch how the impacts of COVID-19, a teetering economy and civil and political unrest play out for the industry.

NWAESC

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:49 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Watching now. Thanks again!

tjerome

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:13 pm

Deltran757 wrote:
adtall wrote:
nwadeicer wrote:

Also to add on. Flights are picking up and there aren’t enough ACS (gate agents) for the extra flights. So many people took the leave here in Atlanta. With the extra lift added in June. Their aren’t enough agents to work flights.

Is this being applied to all departments at ATL? Or are certain departments like 118 excluded?

adtall

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:28 pm

tjerome wrote:
Deltran757 wrote:
adtall wrote:

Is this being applied to all departments at ATL? Or are certain departments like 118 excluded?

118 is an ACS department.

Midwestindy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 pm

gaystudpilot wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

I hate to sound pessimistic, but these “rebound” numbers seem eerily similar to the current performance of the S&P 500 index.

It will be interesting to watch how the impacts of COVID-19, a teetering economy and civil and political unrest play out for the industry.

There is reason for optimism though, airlines are adding back capacity, airlines wouldn't be doing this if they didn't see the bookings to match.

I mean just a few weeks ago we had people saying we wouldn't reach 25% of passengers by September, and we were at 15% on Monday

Lucky for DL they have KE, and while demand to Korea is down, it is not nearly as down as much as some of the rest of the world:

^US to South Korea bookings, good news for DL in terms of being able to sustain service to one of their largest partners

I don't think unrest will hurt demand also, it's not like people are out traveling & visiting NYC, MSP, etc right now. As Ed mentioned, travel right now is to the outdoors (Parks & Beaches) and not large cities. If anything it would likely boost demand, as people try to escape the curfews and restrictions.

Deltran757

Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:31 pm

tjerome wrote:
Deltran757 wrote:
adtall wrote:

I know forsure for us 125 department but I can’t speak for 120 or 118. So many ACS above wing agents took the 3 to 6 months leave. July will be a struggle for us if many don’t come back.

NWAESC

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:30 pm

In my station, ~90% of Dept. 125 is out on a leave. It works for the current schedule, but not for the increases slated for July. Could get interesting...

airtechy

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:59 pm

NWAESC wrote:
In my station, ~90% of Dept. 125 is out on a leave. It works for the current schedule, but not for the increases slated for July. Could get interesting...

90 percent. I just find it incredible for that high a percentage of any department of an airline to take unpaid leave although my partner has taken it as a Delta flight attendant .. and will probably take the early out offer. There must be a message here. :shock:

nwadeicer

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Deltran757 wrote:
tjerome wrote:
Deltran757 wrote:

I know forsure for us 125 department but I can’t speak for 120 or 118. So many ACS above wing agents took the 3 to 6 months leave. July will be a struggle for us if many don’t come back.

I was told 120 got the same “back to work” email as well.
I miss the Red Tail

Deltran757

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:01 pm

nwadeicer wrote:
Deltran757 wrote:
tjerome wrote:

I was told 120 got the same “back to work” email as well.

Delta is currently calling ACS agents here in Atlanta if they are willing to return to work. Right now it’s an option. I have a F/A friend who I talked to yesterday. She is on leave and is schedule to return in September. She got a call to see if she wanted to return in August.

NWAESC

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:02 pm

airtechy wrote:
90 percent. I just find it incredible for that high a percentage of any department of an airline to take unpaid leave although my partner has taken it as a Delta flight attendant .. and will probably take the early out offer. There must be a message here. :shock:

I think there are a few messages here! Certainly multiple factors in play. With the extra $600 from the Feds, a lot of people were/are making more staying home than reporting for work. For others, this was maybe the first time in a while (or ever) to get some significant time off in the summer.

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
- Core hubs will continue to come back as well, although not as fast as ATL- Demand focussed in Florida (where Ed is living currently), Arizona, & Mountain States. Cities will take longer

That’s definitely some good news, especially for SLC. I’ve flown DL through SLC about 10 times the last couple months and have definitely noticed the slow but steady passenger movement grow throughout the airport. From the info I have seen from SLC I’ve noticed the PHX flights and other mountain state flights surrounding SLC are full while flying at the 60% cap.

HNLSLCPDX

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:05 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

That’s definitely some good news, especially for SLC. I’ve flown DL through SLC about 10 times the last couple months and have definitely noticed the slow but steady passenger movement grow throughout the airport. From the info I have seen from SLC I’ve noticed the PHX flights and other mountain state flights surrounding SLC are full while flying at the 60% cap.
Last edited by HNLSLCPDX on Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kavok

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 am

The question now is how much longer does DL maintain the 60% passenger cap.

There are already flights that are reaching that load factor regularly, particularly on the hub-to-hub routes. This leaves two options, add more frequencies, or lift the 60% cap. Sooner or later something has to give.

joeblow10

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 am

kavok wrote:

There are already flights that are reaching that load factor regularly, particularly on the hub-to-hub routes. This leaves two options, add more frequencies, or lift the 60% cap. Sooner or later something has to give.

What’s the deal with 60%? Why not make it 67% like WN or AS? Just leave the middle seats open... except in First. Doesn’t make a lot of sense to me

panamair

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:27 am

kavok wrote:

They announced today that the 60% cap will remain in effect through Sept 30 although they could put it earlier if necessary. They said they would add more flights and/or upgauge once they see more and more flights hitting the 60% threshold.

Deltran757

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:37 am

panamair wrote:
kavok wrote:

They announced today that the 60% cap will remain in effect through Sept 30 although they could put it earlier if necessary. They said they would add more flights and/or upgauge once they see more and more flights hitting the 60% threshold.

Also it’s 60% for main cabin and 50% for first class. So kinda on the line of 67% total.

alasizon

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:48 am

Deltran757 wrote:
panamair wrote:
kavok wrote:

Also it’s 60% for main cabin and 50% for first class. So kinda on the line of 67% total.

Not on the line at all, if it was 67% in Main and 50% in First then sure it would be on the line but overall DL is caping their flights at about 54-57% total.

Since DL has openly stated that their breakeven LF is higher than 60% I see it getting lifted very quickly if others show they are making profit on most flights by carrying more pax.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Deltran757

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:46 am

alasizon wrote:
Deltran757 wrote:
panamair wrote:

Not on the line at all, if it was 67% in Main and 50% in First then sure it would be on the line but overall DL is caping their flights at about 54-57% total.

Since DL has openly stated that their breakeven LF is higher than 60% I see it getting lifted very quickly if others show they are making profit on most flights by carrying more pax.

Yeah some what, but only 60% in main cabin. Now first class it’s 50%, but if Delta does sale over 50% in first class, they will allow it to go 100%. I was told that in briefing the other day.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:32 am

Midwestindy wrote:

Don’t let tphuang see this. He is convinced BOS is done for DL.

deltairlines

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:49 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Out of the tertiary hubs/focus cities (BOS, RDU, MCO, CVG, AUS, etc.), in the July schedule BOS is the only city getting flights to non-hubs back, with FLL, MCO and TPA coming back online, in addition to bringing back SLC, SEA and LAX. All the others are only getting flights to primary hubs (ATL, MSP, DTW for the most part). Come July, Delta will be back to around 30 flights/day...only the other hubs have more service than that.

Me reading between the lines (having worked at DL for eight years at the corporate level) is that of the focus cities to survive, BOS is the favorite child. It also doesn't hurt of all those cities that BOS (as of now) has scheduled VS, KL and AF services to LHR, AMS and CDG that are de-facto DL flights due to the JV.

HNLSLCPDX

Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:35 am

deltairlines wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Out of the tertiary hubs/focus cities (BOS, RDU, MCO, CVG, AUS, etc.), in the July schedule BOS is the only city getting flights to non-hubs back, with FLL, MCO and TPA coming back online, in addition to bringing back SLC, SEA and LAX. All the others are only getting flights to primary hubs (ATL, MSP, DTW for the most part). Come July, Delta will be back to around 30 flights/day...only the other hubs have more service than that.

Me reading between the lines (having worked at DL for eight years at the corporate level) is that of the focus cities to survive, BOS is the favorite child. It also doesn't hurt of all those cities that BOS (as of now) has scheduled VS, KL and AF services to LHR, AMS and CDG that are de-facto DL flights due to the JV.

Interesting. It makes me think that CVG at this point going forward is simply a spoke with service to only the DL hubs. I don’t think CVG will even hold focus city status going forward. Hopefully RDU can come back to some level of a focus city. It’s a growing market with a lot of potential. Same with AUS, be nice to have DL with a larger Texas presence.

Atlwarrior

Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:03 am

Thank God for concrete leadership and data from Delta's leadership and future strategy. This thread has really been hard to bear with the doom and glooms predictions.

a320flyer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:02 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Interesting. It makes me think that CVG at this point going forward is simply a spoke with service to only the DL hubs. I don’t think CVG will even hold focus city status going forward. Hopefully RDU can come back to some level of a focus city. It’s a growing market with a lot of potential. Same with AUS, be nice to have DL with a larger Texas presence.

For what its worth, CVG is larger in the current schedules than RDU, despite the latter being bigger pre-COVID. CVG at 1800 seat/16 flights to SLC/ATL/DTW/MSP/LGA and RDU at 1500 seats/13 flights to ATL/DTW/MSP/LGA. Given BOS was double the size of CVG/RDU, I would expect it to take a few more months for non-hub leisure markets to resume. As of mid-May, the plan was to start adding some non-hub back for September, but haven't seen anything since then.

tphuang

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:18 pm

deltairlines wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Oh I saw this yesterday, but remember I've said BOS is more likely a focus city going forward than a hub. I was anticipating more of a 70 to 90 flight station when this is all set and done. And based on what I've seen, it might be closer to 70 by end of 2022. All these other places were never called "hub" by DL.

RDU/CVG I said are more likely to be 40 to 45 flight stations since they started off from a lower point. All the other ones had minimal non-hub flights and don't even need to be mentioned here.

And picking a monday/Friday in late July, I see 23 departures a day, not 30. Let's not make stuff up here. That's even a lot smaller than AA's presence at BOS for July.

The reality is by July:
SEA will be close to 80 flights a day
LAX will be over 60 flights a day.
Both of them are about 35 to 45% of pre-COVID size. DL looks like they are running a 30% schedule system wide. BOS/CVG/RDU are clearly coming back a lot slower than other places.

And the other thing is NYC is coming back a lot slower than other places. I'd fully expect DL to focus on bringing back LGA back to pre-COVID size in number of flights by next spring. But JFK I expect will not be utilizing all of its slots for a while. That's the part that people should be focusing on. How is Delta going to bring back JFK while TATL traffic is down and all those feed flights will have nothing to connect to. 717 base in NYC is gone, DTW.MSP is getting a lot of stuff downguaged to regional, how many RJs are left to fly out of JFK/LGA?

HVNandrew

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:19 pm

HNLSLCPDX wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

AUS shouldn't be that hard to build back up - it only ever had service to DL's hubs and focus cities, there were no other P2P routes.

For RDU and CVG, most of that traffic was driven by business demand; as long as that remains depressed, I think that so will service to those cities. I see RDU eventually expanding again long-term as the economy and business traffic rebound; CVG may expand as well, as eventually that business traffic will be there to serve again, though to what level I'm not sure.

MIflyer12

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:32 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
Thank God for concrete leadership and data from Delta's leadership and future strategy. This thread has really been hard to bear with the doom and glooms predictions.

There's isn't much new here pointing to high probability of employment stability for 100% of employees. You do have a few people with inadequate analytical skills reading what they want to read.

ATL coming first, and at 40%, doesn't carry Delta Air Lines. Operating 90% of the flights with 70% of the passengers and 60% of the revenue (or less - see UA's latest on how fares have crashed, too) with 100% of the employee base doesn't work. It's still burning bales of money. Even WN burns cash in that scenario. UA has been pointed in saying it's not going to run through all its cash and then start layoffs - a carrier needs access to cash to operate (and to reorganize in Ch 11 if it comes to that). How quickly carriers run out of cash - in the absence of further Federal relief - is a question that really should focus the mind.

Declaring XX,000 people are taking leaves is meaningless without citing median duration of leave and median salary -- you can't calculate months of payroll saved and the change to cash burn. If it's a bunch of relatively low-wage people taking short leaves it adds up to little at all. When DL/UA/AA execs format statements that way they aren't lying, but they are taking advantage of people who don't understand the limitations of what they're being told.

EADSYABSOB73857

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:44 pm

tphuang wrote:
deltairlines wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Oh I saw this yesterday, but remember I've said BOS is more likely a focus city going forward than a hub. I was anticipating more of a 70 to 90 flight station when this is all set and done. And based on what I've seen, it might be closer to 70 by end of 2022. All these other places were never called "hub" by DL.

RDU/CVG I said are more likely to be 40 to 45 flight stations since they started off from a lower point. All the other ones had minimal non-hub flights and don't even need to be mentioned here.

And picking a monday/Friday in late July, I see 23 departures a day, not 30. Let's not make stuff up here. That's even a lot smaller than AA's presence at BOS for July.

The reality is by July:
Both of them are about 35 to 45% of pre-COVID size. DL looks like they are running a 30% schedule system wide. BOS/CVG/RDU are clearly coming back a lot slower than other places.

And the other thing is NYC is coming back a lot slower than other places. I'd fully expect DL to focus on bringing back LGA back to pre-COVID size in number of flights by next spring. But JFK I expect will not be utilizing all of its slots for a while. That's the part that people should be focusing on. How is Delta going to bring back JFK while TATL traffic is down and all those feed flights will have nothing to connect to. 717 base in NYC is gone, DTW.MSP is getting a lot of stuff downguaged to regional, how many RJs are left to fly out of JFK/LGA?

There have been NO indications made by DL that these cities will be gutted the way you are stating they will be. Did you even listen to the link where Bastion spoke???? You keep ranting and raving that BOS is doomed as a DL hub due to NYC slots being widely available and therefore, there being no need to route passengers to BOS for connections... Let’s remember- pre-COVID DL was connecting 5% or less of passengers a day over BOS, so it wasn’t even a huge station for connections before, so that makes your assertion about NYC moot. I don’t really know where you come up with your outlandish predictions. If DL is running 70 flights a day to BOS, that is a skeleton schedule- can barely accommodate flights to all hubs and maybe a few non hub cities... Also DL has played more defense during this crisis than most other airlines as a means to preserve their cash, so don’t conflate their strategy with the belief that all these cities are done. Do I think these cities will be scaled down in size in order to align with the demand need- absolutely. But what you’re predicting has not been indicated anywhere, and Bastion’s own statements conflicts with yours. I’ll believe him over you any day.

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:57 pm

a320flyer wrote:
HNLSLCPDX wrote:
deltairlines wrote:

For what its worth, CVG is larger in the current schedules than RDU, despite the latter being bigger pre-COVID. CVG at 1800 seat/16 flights to SLC/ATL/DTW/MSP/LGA and RDU at 1500 seats/13 flights to ATL/DTW/MSP/LGA. Given BOS was double the size of CVG/RDU, I would expect it to take a few more months for non-hub leisure markets to resume. As of mid-May, the plan was to start adding some non-hub back for September, but haven't seen anything since then.

Keep in mind, we are still talking about very low numbers. There are a number of other non-hub markets that are bigger than both markets right now, MCO, LAS, ORD, PDX, and probably TPA & FLL seat wise.

There is a long way to go

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:04 pm

I think one needs to temper the expectations based on the audience. Ed's webcast was to audience of corporate travel managers, representing some of their biggest corporate accounts. Of course the message was going to be relatively positive since he is taking to buyers/customers and purchasing managers. Of course he would want to give reassurance to them that they are focused on rebuilding their network, providing a safe experience, and saying look its coming back and people are flying.

Of course he's not going to go into doom and gloom about restructuring, cuts, and all the other internal matters that customers don't care about.

a320flyer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:14 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Keep in mind, we are still talking about very low numbers. There are a number of other non-hub markets that are bigger than both markets right now, MCO, LAS, ORD, PDX, and probably TPA & FLL seat wise.

Yeah, but many of those were larger than CVG/RDU pre-COVID anyway... Comparing leisure markets to business markets makes zero sense, especially in the current market.

Both are definitely going to be smaller, JAX was cut from RDU and YYZ from CVG so far. This is likely only the start, but let's hope things turn out better than some have predicted.
Last edited by a320flyer on Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tphuang

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:21 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
deltairlines wrote:

The reality is by July:

There have been NO indications made by DL that these cities will be gutted the way you are stating they will be. Did you even listen to the link where Bastion spoke???? You keep ranting and raving that BOS is doomed as a DL hub due to NYC slots being widely available and therefore, there being no need to route passengers to BOS for connections... Let’s remember- pre-COVID DL was connecting 5% or less of passengers a day over BOS, so it wasn’t even a huge station for connections before, so that makes your assertion about NYC moot. I don’t really know where you come up with your outlandish predictions. If DL is running 70 flights a day to BOS, that is a skeleton schedule- can barely accommodate flights to all hubs and maybe a few non hub cities... Also DL has played more defense during this crisis than most other airlines as a means to preserve their cash, so don’t conflate their strategy with the belief that all these cities are done. Do I think these cities will be scaled down in size in order to align with the demand need- absolutely. But what you’re predicting has not been indicated anywhere, and Bastion’s own statements conflicts with yours. I’ll believe him over you any day.

SEA - almost 80 flights a day in July
LAX - Over 60 flights a day in July
BOS - 23 in July

It's quite clear BOS is being brought back at the same pace as RDU/CVG at this point. There are hubs that will be brought back to close to pre_COVID # of flights by next summer like core hubs and SEA based on what they've done so far. And then there are other hubs/focus cities that get brought back slower. And then there are BOS/CVG/RDU which are not going to be anywhere close to pre-COVID size at that point.

Again, the RJs need to go to places like LGA/JFK/DTW/MSP to lower capacity while maintaining schedule. So all the tougher markets out of BOS/CVG/RDU where they were already the weakest airline in terms of schedule and were flying RJs will get dropped. Those are the worst performing markets and should be the first they drop.

In the next few years, they have to navigate a lower demand environment, pay back a lot of debt and have a bruising battle at SEA, which they seem to be fully committed. There are only so many battles you can have. Every airline needs to pick their priorities.

You can't be 15 to 20% smaller by summer of 2022 and bring back core hubs to pre-COVID strength and not cut down any of the coastal hubs/focus cities. The math doesn't work out.

Midwestindy

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:27 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
I think one needs to temper the expectations based on the audience. Ed's webcast was to audience of corporate travel managers, representing some of their biggest corporate accounts. Of course the message was going to be relatively positive since he is taking to buyers/customers and purchasing managers. Of course he would want to give reassurance to them that they are focused on rebuilding their network, providing a safe experience, and saying look its coming back and people are flying.

Of course he's not going to go into doom and gloom about restructuring, cuts, and all the other internal matters that customers don't care about.

Not trying to be combative, but why is it that when whenever airlines put out any sort of encouraging info or news, people try and dismiss it?

a320flyer wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

Yeah, but many of those were larger than CVG/RDU pre-COVID anyway... Comparing leisure markets to business markets makes zero sense, especially in the current market.

None of those were larger than RDU & CVG flight wise, most didn't even have half of CVG/RDUs flights. Not to mention both airports are significantly under 20% of the original schedule, while network wide DL is at 25-30% for July.

Not comparing Business v Leisure, comparing RDU & CVG to the entire network

global1

Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Does the 60% cap apply to international as well?

AndoAv8R

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:20 pm

Does anyone know how long Delta plans on running the A220 for the DEN-SLC routes? I see right now its 3 times a day, hoping this will continue through July so I can get a day trip to SLC to get photos of the old concourses before they are gone and a get a ride on a 220.

Also is it still the schedule to close the old concourses at SLC and move over to the new one in September?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:14 pm

Crunched a few numbers for perspective.

Based on Flightaware data from yesterday Wed 6/3, here are the stats for ATL

ATL:

CRJ2 26
CRJ9 26
E75S 3
B712 84
B737 2
A319 13
B738 30
B739 9
A321 30
B752 20
A333 3

Total: 246

Non-Scheduled/Cargo/Ferry/Mil. Charter 2
B77L 2

ATL by Destination:

Delta 246
Albert J Ellis (KOAJ) 2
Alexandria Intl (KAEX) 1
Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS / EHAM) 1
Asheville Rgnl (KAVL) 1
Augusta Regional (KAGS) 2
Austin-Bergstrom Intl (KAUS) 2
Baltimore/Washington Intl (KBWI) 3
Baton Rouge Metro (KBTR) 1
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth Intl (KBHM) 3
Bishop Intl (KFNT) 1
Blue Grass (KLEX) 2
Boston Logan Intl (KBOS) 3
Bradley Intl (KBDL) 2
Brunswick Golden Isles (KBQK) 1
Buffalo Niagara Intl (KBUF) 1
Cent II Rgnl (KBMI) 1
Charleston Intl/AFB (KCHS) 3
Charlotte/Douglas Intl (KCLT) 3
Charlottesville-Albemarle (KCHO) 1
Chicago O'Hare Intl (KORD) 4
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (KCVG) 3
Cleveland-Hopkins Intl (KCLE) 3
Clinton National (KLIT) 2
Coastal Carolina Regional (KEWN) 1
Columbia Metropolitan (KCAE) 2
Columbus (KCSG) 1
Dallas Love Field (KDAL) 1
Dallas-Fort Worth Intl (KDFW) 3
Daytona Beach Intl (KDAB) 1
Denver Intl (KDEN) 3
Detroit Metro Wayne Co (KDTW) 5
Dothan Rgnl (KDHN) 1
Eglin Afb/Destin-Ft Walton Beach (KVPS) 2
El Paso Intl (KELP) 1
Eppley Airfield (KOMA) 1
Evansville Rgnl (KEVV) 1
Fayetteville Rgnl (KFAY) 2
Fort Lauderdale Intl (KFLL) 4
Fort Smith Rgnl (KFSM) 1
Gainesville Rgnl (KGNV) 2
General Downing - Peoria Intl (KPIA) 1
Golden Triangle Rgnl (KGTR) 1
Greenville/Spartanburg Intl (KGSP) 3
Gulfport-Biloxi Intl (KGPT) 2
Hilton Head (KHXD) 1
Houston Bush Int'ctl (KIAH) 3
Huntsville Intl (KHSV) 2
Indianapolis Intl (KIND) 3
Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers Intl (KJAN) 2
Jacksonville Intl (KJAX) 4
John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK) 3
John Glenn Columbus Intl Airport (KCMH) 2
Kansas City Intl (KMCI) 2
Key West Intl (KEYW) 2
Lafayette Rgnl/Paul Fournet Field (KLFT) 2
LaGuardia (KLGA) 5
Lic. Benito Juarez Int'l (MEX / MMMX) 1
London Heathrow (LHR / EGLL) 1
Los Angeles Intl (KLAX) 5
Lovell Field (KCHA) 3
McCarran Intl (KLAS) 2
McGhee Tyson (KTYS) 2
Melbourne Intl (KMLB) 1
Memphis Intl (KMEM) 3
Miami Intl (KMIA) 4
Milwaukee Mitchell Intl Airport (KMKE) 2
Minneapolis/St Paul Intl (KMSP) 5
Mobile Rgnl (KMOB) 1
Monroe Rgnl (KMLU) 1
Montgomery Rgnl (KMGM) 1
Muhammad Ali Intl (KSDF) 2
Myrtle Beach Intl (KMYR) 1
Nashville Intl (KBNA) 3
New Orleans Intl (KMSY) 3
Newark Liberty Intl (KEWR) 3
Norfolk Intl (KORF) 3
Northwest Arkansas Rgnl (KXNA) 1
Northwest Florida Beaches Intl (KECP) 2
Orlando Intl (KMCO) 4
Palm Beach Intl (KPBI) 4
Pensacola Intl (KPNS) 3
Philadelphia Intl (KPHL) 3
Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (KPHX) 2
Piedmont Triad Intl (KGSO) 2
Pittsburgh Intl (KPIT) 3
Portland Intl (KPDX) 1
Quad City Intl (KMLI) 1
Raleigh-Durham Intl (KRDU) 3
Reagan National (KDCA) 3
Richmond Intl (KRIC) 3
Roanoke Rgnl (KROA) 1
Sacramento Intl (KSMF) 1
Salt Lake City Intl (KSLC) 5
San Antonio Intl (KSAT) 2
San Diego Intl (KSAN) 1
San Francisco Intl (KSFO) 2
Sarasota/Bradenton Intl (KSRQ) 2
Savannah/Hilton Head Intl (KSAV) 2
Seattle-Tacoma Intl (KSEA) 4
Shreveport Rgnl (KSHV) 2
Southwest Florida Intl (KRSW) 3
Southwest Georgia Rgnl (KABY) 1
Springfield (KSGF) 1
St Louis Lambert Intl (KSTL) 2
Tallahassee Intl (KTLH) 2
Tampa Intl (KTPA) 4
Tri-Cities (KTRI) 1
Tulsa Intl (KTUL) 1
Valdosta Rgnl (KVLD) 1
Washington Dulles Intl (KIAD) 3
Wichita Eisenhower (KICT) 1
Will Rogers World (KOKC) 1
William P Hobby (KHOU) 2
Wilmington Intl (KILM) 2
Yeager (KCRW) 1

Delta - Cargo/Ferry/Mil. Charter 2
Hartsfield-Jackson Intl (KATL) 2

Compared to peak summer 2019 from here:
viewtopic.php?t=1420613

ATL

CR2: 120
CR7: 12
E70: 4
CR9: 90
717: 105
73G: 22
319: 2
M88: 215
M90: 85
320: 39
738: 42
739: 111
321: 88
752: 92
753: 11
763: 7
764: 9
332: 1
333: 7
772: 3
77L: 4
359: 1

Total = 1070
78.9 % mainline

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:17 pm

Based on Flightaware data from yesterday Wed 6/3, here are the stats for DTW

CRJ2 26
CRJ9 43
E75S 6
BCS1 5
A319 9
B738 7
B739 9
A321 15
B763 2
A359 1
---
Total 123

Delta - Cargo/Ferry/Mil. Charter 3
A359 2
CRJ2 1

By Destination:
Total 123
Albany Intl (KALB) 2
Alpena County Rgnl (KAPN) 1
Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS / EHAM) 1
Appleton Intl (KATW) 1
Austin-Bergstrom Intl (KAUS) 1
Baltimore/Washington Intl (KBWI) 1
Bangor Intl (KBGR) 1
Binghamton (KBGM) 1
Blue Grass (KLEX) 1
Boston Logan Intl (KBOS) 3
Bradley Intl (KBDL) 2
Buffalo Niagara Intl (KBUF) 2
Burlington Intl (KBTV) 1
Capital Region Intl (KLAN) 1
Charlotte/Douglas Intl (KCLT) 2
Cherry Capital (KTVC) 1
Chicago O'Hare Intl (KORD) 2
Chippewa County Intl (KCIU) 1
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (KCVG) 2
Cleveland-Hopkins Intl (KCLE) 2
Dallas-Fort Worth Intl (KDFW) 1
Dane Co Rgnl (KMSN) 1
Delta County (KESC) 1
Denver Intl (KDEN) 1
Des Moines Intl (KDSM) 1
Elmira/Corning Rgnl (KELM) 1
Erie Intl/Tom Ridge Field (KERI) 1
Evansville Rgnl (KEVV) 1
Ford (KIMT) 1
Fort Lauderdale Intl (KFLL) 2
Fort Wayne Intl (KFWA) 1
Gerald R Ford Intl (KGRR) 2
Greater Rochester Intl (KROC) 2
Green Bay-Austin Straubel Intl (KGRB) 1
Harrisburg Intl (KMDT) 1
Hartsfield-Jackson Intl (KATL) 5
Houston Bush Int'ctl (KIAH) 1
Incheon Int'l (ICN / RKSI) 1
Indianapolis Intl (KIND) 2
Ithaca Tompkins Rgnl (KITH) 1
James M Cox Dayton Intl (KDAY) 2
John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK) 2
John Glenn Columbus Intl Airport (KCMH) 2
Kalamazoo/Battle Creek Intl (KAZO) 1
Kansas City Intl (KMCI) 1
LaGuardia (KLGA) 3
Lehigh Valley Intl (KABE) 1
Los Angeles Intl (KLAX) 3
MBS Intl (KMBS) 1
McCarran Intl (KLAS) 1
McGhee Tyson (KTYS) 1
Miami Intl (KMIA) 1
Minneapolis/St Paul Intl (KMSP) 3
Montreal-Trudeau (CYUL) 1
Muhammad Ali Intl (KSDF) 1
Nashville Intl (KBNA) 1
Newark Liberty Intl (KEWR) 1
Norfolk Intl (KORF) 2
Orlando Intl (KMCO) 2
Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier Int'l (CYOW) 1
Pellston Rgnl (KPLN) 1
Philadelphia Intl (KPHL) 1
Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (KPHX) 2
Pittsburgh Intl (KPIT) 2
Portland Intl Jetport (KPWM) 1
Raleigh-Durham Intl (KRDU) 2
Reagan National (KDCA) 2
Salt Lake City Intl (KSLC) 4
San Diego Intl (KSAN) 1
San Francisco Intl (KSFO) 1
Sawyer Intl (KSAW) 1
Scranton Intl (KAVP) 1
Seattle-Tacoma Intl (KSEA) 3
South Bend Intl (KSBN) 1
Southwest Florida Intl (KRSW) 2
St Louis Lambert Intl (KSTL) 1
Syracuse Hancock Intl (KSYR) 2
Tampa Intl (KTPA) 2
Toronto Pearson Int'l (CYYZ) 2
University Park Airport (KUNV) 1
Washington Dulles Intl (KIAD) 2

Delta - Cargo/Ferry/Mil. Charter 3
Detroit Metro Wayne Co (KDTW) 1
Incheon Int'l (ICN / RKSI) 1
Moody Afb (KVAD) 1

Compared to peak summer 2019 here:
viewtopic.php?t=1420613
DTW

CR2: 86
CR7: 52
E70: 6
CR9: 113
717: 33
221: 7
319: 28
320: 24
738: 2
739: 28
321: 38
752: 21
753: 6
763: 6
764: 1
332: 2
333: 3
359: 5

Total = 461
44.2 % mainline

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos