Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MIflyer12

Re: Delta plans to emerge a "smaller" carrier

Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:16 pm

DL announced 6/12 that it had completed its placement of $1.25 Billion in unsecured debt due 2026. So, as of now, DL clearly has a capacity to borrow.

On June 12, 2020, Delta Air Lines, Inc. (“Delta,” “we, “us” or our”) completed a public offering of $1,250,000,000 in aggregate principal amount of
our 7.375% Notes due 2026 (the “Notes”).

The Notes are our direct, unsecured and unsubordinated obligations. The Notes rank pari passu, or equal, in right of payment, with all of our other
unsubordinated indebtedness and senior in right of payment to all of our future subordinated debt.

See the 8-K SEC filing of 6/12/20 for full details.

klm617

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:42 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Aircraft returned from storage Thu 6/11:
1 A321 MZJ-ATL

Total aircraft returned through Thu 6/11:
4 A359
11 A321
8 B739

Aircraft planned to return from storage Fri 6/12:
1 B739 MWH-MSP
1 B739 MWH-LAX
1 B739 MCI-MSP

Aircraft planned to return from storage Sat 6/13:
1 A321 VCV-MSP

Are these planes going to MSP for maintenance before being returned to service ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Midwestindy

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Sizable boost in departures for LGA starting in July, looks like close to 60 departures, restoring service to business markets like RIC, STL, CLE, IND, CLT, e.t.c. at mostly 2 flights per day

Potentially seeing some business demand returning?
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

jplatts

Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:53 pm

klm617 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
In RDU, American went from 27% smaller than Delta in July 2019 to 62 percent larger than Delta in July 2020.
In BOS, Delta used to be 38% larger than American and now in July 2020 American will be 58% larger than Delta

I think what we are seeing is Boston being rightsized. There was so much excess capacity dumped into that market driving down the profitability of those flights. Every flight now is going to have generate the yields desired as airlines need to make money where ever they can and can no longer rely on other flights generating a large profit to fund these marginal flights, just because an airline is trying to gain market share.

There are a few DL domestic nonstop routes out of BOS that currently have no nonstop competition such as BOS-CVG, BOS-MCI, and BOS-ORF.

DL is also currently planning on resuming BOS-MEM nonstop service on October 4th, and DL will not have any nonstop competition on the BOS-MEM route.

There are also a few additional domestic nonstop routes that could be added by DL out of BOS once demand for air travel out of BOS returns such as BOS-SDF, BOS-OMA, and BOS-SAT with
(a) SDF, OMA, and SAT currently lacking any nonstop service to BOS,
(b) B6 not serving SDF, OMA, and SAT, and
(c) SDF, OMA, and SAT being three of the top domestic destinations traveled to from Greater Boston that don't currently have any nonstop service out of BOS.

klm617

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:40 pm

jplatts wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
In RDU, American went from 27% smaller than Delta in July 2019 to 62 percent larger than Delta in July 2020.
In BOS, Delta used to be 38% larger than American and now in July 2020 American will be 58% larger than Delta

I think what we are seeing is Boston being rightsized. There was so much excess capacity dumped into that market driving down the profitability of those flights. Every flight now is going to have generate the yields desired as airlines need to make money where ever they can and can no longer rely on other flights generating a large profit to fund these marginal flights, just because an airline is trying to gain market share.

There are a few DL domestic nonstop routes out of BOS that currently have no nonstop competition such as BOS-CVG, BOS-MCI, and BOS-ORF.

DL is also currently planning on resuming BOS-MEM nonstop service on October 4th, and DL will not have any nonstop competition on the BOS-MEM route.

There are also a few additional domestic nonstop routes that could be added by DL out of BOS once demand for air travel out of BOS returns such as BOS-SDF, BOS-OMA, and BOS-SAT with
(a) SDF, OMA, and SAT currently lacking any nonstop service to BOS,
(b) B6 not serving SDF, OMA, and SAT, and
(c) SDF, OMA, and SAT being three of the top domestic destinations traveled to from Greater Boston that don't currently have any nonstop service out of BOS.

Keep in mind though that any numbers that were relevant before covid19 are no longer valid as the dynamic of everything has changed. So even though those were the top three before it's very likely that those numbers have fallen of the edge now.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

kavok

Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:44 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Sizable boost in departures for LGA starting in July, looks like close to 60 departures, restoring service to business markets like RIC, STL, CLE, IND, CLT, e.t.c. at mostly 2 flights per day

Potentially seeing some business demand returning?

The NY lockdown, which was one of the strictest, is now loosening some. Basically, there is now the opportunity for certain types of NYC business travel that was illegal just last week. This obviously changes the NYC dynamic some.

tphuang

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:09 am

I think the demand for these routes are all leisure at this point. New York businesses are going to be weary of business travel for a while. But there should be plenty of pent up leisure demand especially in summer month. Everyone has a lot of vacation days that they haven't used.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:08 am

Some of the big corporate travel spenders, my company is in the top 10, are starting to allow limited business/sales/client/operational related travel to resume with approval, risk review, and health questionnaires. Basically we can now if we need to but realistically this starts to get people back on the road after 4th of July. They don’t want us to travel to basically work from a field or client location, but if you need to be on site or meet in person you can. In the airlines view, the duration of the trip doesn’t matter as much as the pure number.

With NYC I also suspect you will see a lot of the people that “live in NYC” particularly the younger and/or childless ones traveling back home to visit family/friends a lot to flee the city this summer on long weeekends.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:14 am

klm617 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Aircraft returned from storage Thu 6/11:
1 A321 MZJ-ATL

Total aircraft returned through Thu 6/11:
4 A359
11 A321
8 B739

Aircraft planned to return from storage Fri 6/12:
1 B739 MWH-MSP
1 B739 MWH-LAX
1 B739 MCI-MSP

Aircraft planned to return from storage Sat 6/13:
1 A321 VCV-MSP

Are these planes going to MSP for maintenance before being returned to service ?

Aircraft being returned to service are going to the various hubs that have line maintenance capabilities. They have been going back to ATL, MSP, DTW, SEA, LAX, SLC and JFK. Some aircraft many need some minor checks to be completed and/or reprovisioned prior to returning to service and the hub location may just be an function of maintenance manpower / availability.

gaystudpilot

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:26 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Some of the big corporate travel spenders, my company is in the top 10, are starting to allow limited business/sales/client/operational related travel to resume with approval, risk review, and health questionnaires. Basically we can now if we need to but realistically this starts to get people back on the road after 4th of July. They don’t want us to travel to basically work from a field or client location, but if you need to be on site or meet in person you can. In the airlines view, the duration of the trip doesn’t matter as much as the pure number.

With NYC I also suspect you will see a lot of the people that “live in NYC” particularly the younger and/or childless ones traveling back home to visit family/friends a lot to flee the city this summer on long weeekends.

I’m curious. Are folks at your company itching to travel for work? Or are they cautious?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:29 am

Aircraft returned from storage Sat 6/13:
1 A321 VCV-MSP
1 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 B752 MCI-ATL

Total aircraft returned through Sat 6/13:
4 A359
12 A321
12 B739
1 B752

Planned for Sunday 6/14
1 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 B739 MWH-SEA

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:48 am

gaystudpilot wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I’m curious. Are folks at your company itching to travel for work? Or are they cautious?

From my perspective and those I know it’s definitely a bit of both. Those that travel at my company live the road warrior lifestyle and are used to traveling bi-weekly to weekly. I think most are ready but at the same time not rushing into it. I think most feel it can be done safely, but don’t want to rush in and go nuts. It’s also two sided, the person has to be comfortable with travel,
But the host/destination has to be comfortable about accepting or meeting with the traveler/visitor. We will ease back into it but we will probably be a lot closer to normal by September/October.

I personally have some travel that needs to occur since I have to attend to physical asset and equipment in production facilities and some of which i have to be with on site. I am not in a huge hurry only in the sense I am enjoying a quieter June and the time at home. I figure I can Push things out another month before I have to get back on the road. By then things will hopefully be a little less weird.

WidebodyPTV

Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:56 am

While it varies regionally, many/most businesses in the larger markets do not plan to send employees back into the office until after Labor Day. I'm traveling daily during the morning rush from South Orange County to either Downtown Los Angeles or Beverly Hills/West Hollywood. I can travel to the former in about 50-55 minutes, and the latter in about 60-70 minutes. These travel times are up about 10 minutes compared to two weeks ago, when the economy was still shut down, but this commute would literally be impractical when people return to the office. When that happens, the 6 miles alone from the 405 into BH/WeHo would take over the 60-70 minutes the entire 65-mile commute currently takes. And if people aren't in the office here, there's literally no demand for business travel from places like Atlanta, Dallas, etc. where things opened much sooner.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:16 pm

Aircraft returned from storage Sun 6/14:
1 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 B739 MWH-SEA

Total aircraft returned through Sun 6/14:
4 A359
12 A321
14 B739
1 B752

Planned for Monday 6/15
2 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 A321 MCI-BOS

*Does not include reactivation of aircraft that had parked or stored red at hub locations

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:44 am

Aircraft returned from storage Mon 6/15:
2 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 A321 MCI-BOS

Total aircraft returned from storage through Mon 6/15:
4 A359
13 A321
16 B739
1 B752

Planned for Tuesday 6/16
1 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 B738 MCI-DTW

*Does not include reactivation of aircraft that had parked or stored red at hub locations

1 B753 N596NW has returned to scheduled service, operating SLC-ATL-SLC daily. This aircraft had been kept in rolling parking at ATL and done periodic military charters over the past 2 months.
It appears there are additional 753 flights adding back in starting next week, so some more frames should be pulled from storage.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:06 am

NYC traffic I think we will see people wanting to get out not go in. Visit family and friends anywhere this summer to get away, it's been rough, but those are pretty low yielding customers who can connect. Business travel might be legal and some small or business owners might travel but no companies of size are asking employees to travel to NYC except for emergencies. NYC needs business travel to come back more than probably any other market, so much of the air travel demand is business driven and we are along time away from that coming back.

n7371f

Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:46 am

There have been 6 757-351ET (5802-5806, 5809) down in QRO that should be down with heavy checks (actually were supposed to be done in time for summer heavy traffic). Don't have info accessible but likely them.

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Aircraft returned from storage Mon 6/15:
2 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 A321 MCI-BOS

Total aircraft returned from storage through Mon 6/15:
4 A359
13 A321
16 B739
1 B752

Planned for Tuesday 6/16
1 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 B738 MCI-DTW

1 B753 N596NW has returned to scheduled service, operating SLC-ATL-SLC daily. This aircraft had been kept in rolling parking at ATL and done periodic military charters over the past 2 months.
It appears there are additional 753 flights adding back in starting next week, so some more frames should be pulled from storage.

CRJ200flyer

Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:40 pm

The temporary wall created to close the C-concourse off in DTW has been taken down! (source: me walking where the wall used to be)

kavok

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:34 pm

CRJ200flyer wrote:
The temporary wall created to close the C-concourse off in DTW has been taken down! (source: me walking where the wall used to be)

Interesting time to expand the concourse. Any gates being used on the far side? Is it possible that so many more CRJs are being used compared to mainline right now, that DTW actually ran out of CRJ gates?

DeltaRules

Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:44 pm

kavok wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Interesting time to expand the concourse. Any gates being used on the far side? Is it possible that so many more CRJs are being used compared to mainline right now, that DTW actually ran out of CRJ gates?

Wouldn't there be room for CRJs on A? I feel like I've seen CR9s on the side which used to be DC-9 city.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

kavok

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:03 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
kavok wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Wouldn't there be room for CRJs on A? I feel like I've seen CR9s on the side which used to be DC-9 city.

I have flown into A many times on CRJs over the past few years. On those occasions, they all seemed to use the middle A gates, on the east side of the A concourse. That is why I find this reopening of C so strange.

klm617

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 pm

kavok wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
kavok wrote:

I have flown into A many times on CRJs over the past few years. On those occasions, they all seemed to use the middle A gates, on the east side of the A concourse. That is why I find this reopening of C so strange.

Perhaps Detroit is going to play a bigger role in the new Delta going forward. With manufacturing now up and running in Michigan people need to travel for business reasons.

BNAMealer

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55 pm

klm617 wrote:
kavok wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Perhaps Detroit is going to play a bigger role in the new Delta going forward. With manufacturing now up and running in Michigan people need to travel for business reasons.

IMHO, the post COVID DL should bulk up DTW & SLC significantly given their super efficient layouts and ease of connections at both.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:55 pm

Lets not get carried away here.....

Yes, they likely did run out of CR2 & CR9 capable gates. Portions of the A-gates are still closed-off as far as I know and used for RON parking.
The hub is heavily banked even more than usual.

There are many gates on A that are not CR2 or CR9 capable and they only have so many bridge adapters. CR2 & CR9 are what is predominanly running the hub currently.
The upper east side gates of A are primarily used for CR9s.

mackdad

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:08 pm

klm617 wrote:
kavok wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:

Glen has stated that the four hubs they are going to concentrate are ATL, DTW, MSP, SLC. He wants the interior hubs to be rebuilt before the coastal one get put online.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:15 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Lets not get carried away here.....

Yes, they likely did run out of CR2 & CR9 capable gates. Portions of the A-gates are still closed-off as far as I know and used for RON parking.
The hub is heavily banked even more than usual.

There are many gates on A that are not CR2 or CR9 capable and they only have so many bridge adapters. CR2 & CR9 are what is predominanly running the hub currently.
The upper east side gates of A are primarily used for CR9s.

They're going to need more CRJ gates going forward, than gates that are capable of handling the 175, from what I've heard...
From my cold, dead hands

CRJ200flyer

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:52 pm

I’m a pilot for Endeavor based in Detroit. My observation, as others have noted, is that with part of the A concourse closed as well as one of end of its ramp under construction, they’ve been parking more A320/737/A220s in the A alleyways with some of those CRJs displaced out to the B concourse. For a brief time at the beginning of the crisis, they had even closed off part of B concourse, but that wall was quickly dismantled as, although the traffic was light, during our few banks, we were very tight on gates at peak times.

AZORMP

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:22 am

kavok wrote:
DeltaRules wrote:
kavok wrote:

CRJ-200s are almost exclusively at B/C. The only CRJ-type aircraft regularly seen (pre-COVID, of course) were 700s and 900s.

Glad to hear that C is reopening. Hopefully it will give DTW a boost post-COVID.

ghost77

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:49 am

One more frame back to the action.

Airbus A321-211, N389DN.

https://www.flightradar24.com/DAL9960/24b70176

QRO-YYZ, tomorrow it will start flying YYZ-ATL.

g77

kavok

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:50 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
I’m a pilot for Endeavor based in Detroit. My observation, as others have noted, is that with part of the A concourse closed as well as one of end of its ramp under construction, they’ve been parking more A320/737/A220s in the A alleyways with some of those CRJs displaced out to the B concourse. For a brief time at the beginning of the crisis, they had even closed off part of B concourse, but that wall was quickly dismantled as, although the traffic was light, during our few banks, we were very tight on gates at peak times.

Good information. Are there that many CRJ gates blocked, or is it a situation of just more CRJs being present now because of the situation, and thus more gates needed? The other question that arises is where are all of these CRJs (200,700,900) coming from?

In summer 2019, I am assuming almost all of the CRJs were in service somewhere in the DL network. The need to reopen C gates implies that DTW will have even more CRJs in summer 2020 compared to 2019. So from what markets are the DL connection CRJs being pulled?

klm617

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:43 am

ghost77 wrote:
One more frame back to the action.

Airbus A321-211, N389DN.

https://www.flightradar24.com/DAL9960/24b70176

QRO-YYZ, tomorrow it will start flying YYZ-ATL.

g77

There are no YYZ-ATL flights operating.

TonyClifton

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:48 am

kavok wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

Good information. Are there that many CRJ gates blocked, or is it a situation of just more CRJs being present now because of the situation, and thus more gates needed? The other question that arises is where are all of these CRJs (200,700,900) coming from?

In summer 2019, I am assuming almost all of the CRJs were in service somewhere in the DL network. The need to reopen C gates implies that DTW will have even more CRJs in summer 2020 compared to 2019. So from what markets are the DL connection CRJs being pulled?

C was temporarily shrunk for Covid. The Berlin... err Detroit wall coming down, it’s back to where it was pre Covid, no additional flying here.

CRJ200flyer

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 am

kavok wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

I think there’s some confusion, which is easy given the changes to the C gates over the years. Earlier when I posted the wall had come down, I was referring to the wall that closed off all C gates during the pandemic, not the wall down beyond C-27 that seals off the gates up to C-41; that wall down there is still intact. So it’s not that there is some massive rise from 2019, just restoring the gates we had pre-coronavirus.

Regarding CRJs, I have seen CRJ (particularly 900s) operating more on previously mainline routes in DTW, but I don’t have data to quantify my claims, just looking at the flight board passively as I go to and from my gate each day.

evank516

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:14 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
kavok wrote:
CRJ200flyer wrote:

I think there’s some confusion, which is easy given the changes to the C gates over the years. Earlier when I posted the wall had come down, I was referring to the wall that closed off all C gates during the pandemic, not the wall down beyond C-27 that seals off the gates up to C-41; that wall down there is still intact. So it’s not that there is some massive rise from 2019, just restoring the gates we had pre-coronavirus.

Regarding CRJs, I have seen CRJ (particularly 900s) operating more on previously mainline routes in DTW, but I don’t have data to quantify my claims, just looking at the flight board passively as I go to and from my gate each day.

You're not imagining things. I noticed DTW-MCI which was almost always all mainline is now down to CR9s exclusively. I think it's the heavier need of 717s to fill in for the lighter Mad Dog routes and probably not enough A220s to pick up the slack.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:33 am

A few points of clarification:

Starting in April, DL closed off a significant number of gates in DTW. This was to close-off gates that were going to be used to park aircraft, and reduce facility maintenance/utilitities/cleaning/security costs.
The lower third of A concourse, the end of B Concourse above B15, and all of C concourse were walled-off and closed. I believe a few gates at the north end of A were deactivated for a period.

What the poster previously said is that C concourse is now open to its previous area from C1-C26. Above C26 continues to be closed as it has been since about 2016.
There was a photo literally of a construction wall with a door by the SkyClub walling off Concourse C.

As the flight schedule ramps up additional gates are going to be required. Right now DTW effectively operates on almost 2 banks. A morning and an evening bank, will a small midday bank of flights. Those banks may have 50-60 flights.

From what I posted earlier in this thread, here is the flight stats for DL at DTW from June 3rd:
DTW

CRJ2 26
CRJ9 43
E75S 6
BCS1 5
A319 9
B738 7
B739 9
A321 15
B763 2
A359 1

Total 123

As of this week, the schedule is still relatively the same for the rest of June, with maybe a few flights added here or there. July will see maybe a 15-20 more flights per day with more flights to hubs, Florida, a few of the close outstations like LAN, MBS, FWA, SYR, and internationally CDG coming back. Should be closer to 150/day in July.
For comparison here was peak Summer 2019.

DTW

CR2: 86
CR7: 52
E70: 6
CR9: 113
717: 33
221: 7
319: 28
320: 24
738: 2
739: 28
321: 38
752: 21
753: 6
763: 6
764: 1
332: 2
333: 3
359: 5

Total = 461

Its not because of there being some massive increase in CR2 or CR9 flying, its a lot less, and instead of 5-6 departure banks, DTW is operating with only 2 big banks this summer.

The 717s that weren't parked were all consolidated to ATL to simply operations and backfill the MD88/90 retirement. Almost everything that was 717 went to CR9.

FSDan

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:38 am

kavok wrote:
The other question that arises is where are all of these CRJs (200,700,900) coming from?

Plenty of CRJ availability throughout the network right now:
1) Pull down of frequencies - think markets like DTW-MSN/IND/AZO/MBS/PIT, etc. that all used to see 5+ daily CRJ flights, and are now down to 3 or fewer per day
2) Suspended long/thin RJ routes like MSP-RIC/ORF, DTW-OKC, ATL-GRB, etc.
3) Pull down of the RJ-heavy focus cities CVG and RDU
4) Temporarily way smaller LGA/JFK/BOS operations
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:42 am

So how many of the DL CR2s won't make it back from storage? Has DL announced anything regarding their plans for them?

Ursula21

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:49 am

Voluntary out take rate after the first day in the 2-3k range.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:51 am

Aircraft returned from storage Tue 6/16:
1 B738 MCI-DTW
1 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 B739 MWH-SLC
1 A321 QRO-YYZ ??? Not sure why flying to YYZ

Total aircraft returned from storage through Tue 6/16:
4 A359
14 A321
1 B738
18 B739
1 B752
----
38 Total

Planned for Wed 6/17
1 A321 VCV-SLC
1 B738 MCI-MSP
1 B739 MCI-JFK

It appears there are additional 753 flights adding back in starting next week, so some more frames should be pulled from storage.[/quote]

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 am

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
So how many of the DL CR2s won't make it back from storage? Has DL announced anything regarding their plans for them?

Nothing confirmed yet about the fate of DL CR2s that are operated by OO Skywest and wholy-owned 9E Endeavour

This article gives a good summary of where things are at, and its possible that all Skywest CR2 flying for DL could end in 2020.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ps-by-ye20

"SkyWest Airlines (United States of America) (OO, Salt Lake City) does not expect Delta Air Lines (DL, Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson) to renew a capacity purchase agreement covering fifty-five CRJ200s, which expires in increments between the second and the fourth quarter of 2020, the regional capacity provider said in its quarterly report.

"SkyWest leases 19 of the 55 aircraft from Delta and anticipates returning the leased aircraft to Delta in 2020. SkyWest owns the remaining thirty-six CRJ200 aircraft and anticipates parking the 36 aircraft on an individual basis following removal from service," the airline said.

Chief Commercial Officer Wade Steel added during a follow-up earnings call that SkyWest was "working with Delta on their long-term 50-seat needs".

According to the ch-aviation fleets advanced module, SkyWest currently operates 200 CRJ200s, of which a total of 86 are used to operate the Delta Connection CPA (as is common practice, US regional capacity providers operate fleets exceeding the number of aircraft covered by the CPAs to ensure reliability), and the remainder flies for United Airlines (UA, Chicago O'Hare). Until late 2019, the airline also operated CR200s for American Airlines (AA, Dallas/Fort Worth) with the last unit, N256PS (msn 7937), retired on December 22, 2019, according to Flightradar24 ADS-B data.

SkyWest just recently extended its CPA with United covering seventy CRJ200s.

It owns the bulk of its CRJ200s, the ch-aviation fleets ownership module shows, with just 37 aircraft on operating leases (including the 19 dry-leased from Delta). It also dry-leases two of its owned units to Endeavor Air (9E, Minneapolis/St. Paul).

SkyWest said it recorded "approximately USD15 million of incremental depreciation expense in Q1 2020" related to the expected retirement of its 36 owned CRJ200s covered by the Delta CPA.

On top of the aircraft operated by SkyWest, Endeavor Air also operates forty-four CRJ200s for Delta Connection."

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:59 am

Too add-on, its unclear in that as OO Skywest has contracts for EAS flying under Delta for many small markets that don't fall under the capacity purchase agreement and are instead operated under the at-risk/pro-rate contract. Additionally, there were markets that were operated under at-risk/pro-rate CR2 flying that for now have reverted to 9E flying.

Its entirely possible that remaining CR2 flying will be covered by 9E. The aircraft returned by OO to DL could end up at 9E. For the near to medium term there is no shortage of CR2s available that have been parked that could be used by 9E.

Realistically, the number of CR2s will probably end up down ~50 from 125 pre-COVID to about ~75 going forward.

deltaSEAalsaka

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:06 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Aircraft returned from storage Tue 6/16:
1 B738 MCI-DTW
1 B739 MZJ-ATL
1 B739 MWH-SLC
1 A321 QRO-YYZ ??? Not sure why flying to YYZ

Seems as if it is flying YYZ-DTW tomorrow and based on its flight history, it has never done a domestic flight.
There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.

tjerome

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:49 am

Ursula21 wrote:

That many people for only the opt out on the first day? Much more than what I would’ve expected, it will be interesting what happens through next month and with the retirement program too.

NWAESC

Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:52 am

Ursula21 wrote:

Where'd you see that?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

kavok

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Thank you CRJ200flyer and PSU.DTW.SCE for the clarification on the DTW C-Gates. I was in fact interpreting the earlier comment to mean the wall at C26/27 came down, which obviously led me to incorrectly believe that there was going to be a lot more CRJ flying. Please disregard my earlier assertion on that.

On the topic of CRJs operations, as indicated DTW basically just has a morning and evening bank operation currently, with a few scatterings midday. What are the CRJs operating at DTW doing midday currently? Are they just being parked for several hours each day, or are they flying elsewhere?

Basically, is it a situation of a reduced number of CRJs in operation, but those that are operational are flying most hours of the day? Or is it a situation of needing a few more CRJs beyond that minimum to be able to operate a banked structure, with the unfortunate result of having to park that plane somewhere midday between the banks?

AZORMP

Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:23 pm

FSDan wrote:
kavok wrote:
The other question that arises is where are all of these CRJs (200,700,900) coming from?

Plenty of CRJ availability throughout the network right now:
1) Pull down of frequencies - think markets like DTW-MSN/IND/AZO/MBS/PIT, etc. that all used to see 5+ daily CRJ flights, and are now down to 3 or fewer per day
2) Suspended long/thin RJ routes like MSP-RIC/ORF, DTW-OKC, ATL-GRB, etc.
3) Pull down of the RJ-heavy focus cities CVG and RDU
4) Temporarily way smaller LGA/JFK/BOS operations

AZO returns to 3x/day in July and 4x/day in August. I believe it’s similar for the other non-EAS field stations in MI.

CRJ200flyer

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:36 pm

kavok wrote:
Thank you CRJ200flyer and PSU.DTW.SCE for the clarification on the DTW C-Gates. I was in fact interpreting the earlier comment to mean the wall at C26/27 came down, which obviously led me to incorrectly believe that there was going to be a lot more CRJ flying. Please disregard my earlier assertion on that.

On the topic of CRJs operations, as indicated DTW basically just has a morning and evening bank operation currently, with a few scatterings midday. What are the CRJs operating at DTW doing midday currently? Are they just being parked for several hours each day, or are they flying elsewhere?

Basically, is it a situation of a reduced number of CRJs in operation, but those that are operational are flying most hours of the day? Or is it a situation of needing a few more CRJs beyond that minimum to be able to operate a banked structure, with the unfortunate result of having to park that plane somewhere midday between the banks?

I don’t have a clear picture on the bank structure right now, but I was part of a cluster of arrivals yesterday, mostly Endeavor. Between 151pm and 246pm there were 23 arrivals operating for Delta - 15 Endeavor, 2 SkyWest, 6 Delta.

Trying to figure out the banks from my schedule has been tricky on the CRJ-200. I’ve noticed leaving Detroit, I have quite a few departures midmorning, some early afternoon (between noon and 2pm), and then a cluster around 6pm with a straggler around 9pm. Regarding movement of aircraft, I’ve had four flight days which involve visiting two out stations, and when I get back to Detroit in the evening the airplane sits all night to repeat the same journey the next day. Again this is just one pilot’s experience - I can’t get a clear picture of the overall pattern yet (also my schedule has had multiple cancellations and changes so it’s difficult to say what was originally intended versus what’s actually flying).
Last edited by CRJ200flyer on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWAESC

Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:41 pm

AZORMP wrote:

AZO returns to 3x/day in July and 4x/day in August. I believe it’s similar for the other non-EAS field stations in MI.

Looking at DLTerm, it still looks like August's schedule is the original (Pre-COVID) one. Nothing new on DLNet, either. Where are you see updated info for August?
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:02 pm

DL hasn't make any domestic adjustments yet to August schedules, other than outright stations they've suspended or a few routes they cancelled indefinetely, it still reflects the majority of the pre-COVID schedule. Give it another 1-2 weeks. They are still tuning July.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:06 pm

Here are some stats on yesterday at DTW to give you all a clearer picture, based on flightaware departures:

All Airlines:
Row Labels Count of ID
AA 10
A319 2
A320 2
A321 1
B738 2
CRJ7 2
E145 1

AS 1
B738 1

Cargo 9
A306 1
A332 1
B752 2
B762 1
B763 1
DC10 2
MD11 1

DL 129
A319 11
A321 15
A332 1
A333 1
A359 1
B738 7
B739 10
B763 1
BCS1 5
CRJ2 24
CRJ9 46
E75S 7

Gen Av. 5
C550 1
C68A 1
P46T 2
TBM7 1

NK 9
A319 1
A320 8

SY 1
B738 1

UA 4
CRJ7 1
E75L 3

WN 8
B737 6
B738 2

Grand Total 176

--
Delta only, by Operating Carrier:

DL 52
A319 11
A321 15
A332 1
A333 1
A359 1
B738 7
B739 10
B763 1
BCS1 5

9E 64
CRJ2 19
CRJ9 45

OO 6
CRJ2 5
CRJ9 1

YX 7
E75S 7
Grand Total 129

Delta - Departures by Hour:

07:00-07:59 1
08:00-08:59 11
09:00-09:59 9
10:00-10:59 22
11:00-11:59 3
12:00-12:59 16
13:00-13:59 6
14:00-14:59 4
15:00-15:59 6
16:00-16:59 4
17:00-17:59 2
18:00-18:59 15
19:00-19:59 2
20:00-20:59 18
21:00-21:59 10

Grand Total 129

Delta - by Destination

DL 129
Albany Intl (KALB) 2
Alpena County Rgnl (KAPN) 1
Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS / EHAM) 1
Appleton Intl (KATW) 1
Austin-Bergstrom Intl (KAUS) 1
Baltimore/Washington Intl (KBWI) 1
Bangor Intl (KBGR) 1
Binghamton (KBGM) 1
Blue Grass (KLEX) 1
Boston Logan Intl (KBOS) 3
Bradley Intl (KBDL) 2
Buffalo Niagara Intl (KBUF) 2
Burlington Intl (KBTV) 1
Capital Region Intl (KLAN) 1
Charlotte/Douglas Intl (KCLT) 2
Cherry Capital (KTVC) 1
Chicago O'Hare Intl (KORD) 2
Chippewa County Intl (KCIU) 1
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (KCVG) 3
Cleveland-Hopkins Intl (KCLE) 2
Dallas-Fort Worth Intl (KDFW) 1
Dane Co Rgnl (KMSN) 1
Delta County (KESC) 1
Denver Intl (KDEN) 1
Des Moines Intl (KDSM) 1
Elmira/Corning Rgnl (KELM) 2
Erie Intl/Tom Ridge Field (KERI) 1
Evansville Rgnl (KEVV) 1
Ford (KIMT) 1
Fort Lauderdale Intl (KFLL) 2
Fort Wayne Intl (KFWA) 1
Gerald R Ford Intl (KGRR) 2
Greater Rochester Intl (KROC) 2
Green Bay-Austin Straubel Intl (KGRB) 2
Harrisburg Intl (KMDT) 1
Hartsfield-Jackson Intl (KATL) 5
Houston Bush Int'ctl (KIAH) 2
Incheon Int'l (ICN / RKSI) 1
Indianapolis Intl (KIND) 2
Ithaca Tompkins Rgnl (KITH) 1
James M Cox Dayton Intl (KDAY) 2
John F Kennedy Intl (KJFK) 2
John Glenn Columbus Intl Airport (KCMH) 2
Kalamazoo/Battle Creek Intl (KAZO) 1
Kansas City Intl (KMCI) 1
LaGuardia (KLGA) 3
Lehigh Valley Intl (KABE) 1
London Heathrow (LHR / EGLL) 1
Los Angeles Intl (KLAX) 3
MBS Intl (KMBS) 1
McCarran Intl (KLAS) 1
McGhee Tyson (KTYS) 1
Miami Intl (KMIA) 1
Milwaukee Mitchell Intl Airport (KMKE) 1
Minneapolis/St Paul Intl (KMSP) 4
Montreal-Trudeau (CYUL) 1
Muhammad Ali Intl (KSDF) 1
Nashville Intl (KBNA) 1
Newark Liberty Intl (KEWR) 1
Norfolk Intl (KORF) 2
Orlando Intl (KMCO) 2
Pellston Rgnl (KPLN) 1
Philadelphia Intl (KPHL) 1
Phoenix Sky Harbor Intl (KPHX) 2
Pittsburgh Intl (KPIT) 2
Portland Intl Jetport (KPWM) 1
Raleigh-Durham Intl (KRDU) 2
Reagan National (KDCA) 2
Salt Lake City Intl (KSLC) 4
San Diego Intl (KSAN) 1
San Francisco Intl (KSFO) 1
Scranton Intl (KAVP) 1
Seattle-Tacoma Intl (KSEA) 3
Sofia Airport (SOF / LBSF) 1
South Bend Intl (KSBN) 1
Southwest Florida Intl (KRSW) 2
St Louis Lambert Intl (KSTL) 1
Syracuse Hancock Intl (KSYR) 2
Tampa Intl (KTPA) 2
Toronto Pearson Int'l (CYYZ) 2
University Park Airport (KUNV) 1
Washington Dulles Intl (KIAD) 2
Grand Total 129

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos