I was driving by DTW for work today., headed down past Toledo today.
When I drove by at around 8am I literally saw no aircraft take-off as I was driving down I-275.
When I drove by at 7pm on the way home I decided to take a spin through the airport. I hadn't flown, driving by, or been near the airport since March.
Best way I can describe it, was like going into one of those dying malls.
- In the 30 minutes or so I was driving around, I saw 1 DL CR2 take-off from 22L, and maybe 5 DL aircraft A321, B739, CR9, CR2 arrive.'
- Decent number 30-40ish DL aircraft on the even-side of A, B, and C. semi looked like normal from there but hard to get a good look from the roads
- 2 DL A359s parked on the 4R deice-pad, 1 A359 and A333 (I think) parked on the hardstands parking at the north end of C, a A359 parked outside the hangar by I-94, and about 6 CR2 / CR9s parked up by the old NOMADS terminal off Middlebelt
- NK had about 6 aircraft on the gates at the North, AA had 2 ERJs, and a few NK aircraft parked in front of their hangar.
- South end, inner alley of Concourse A essentially shuttered; it looked like 2 A221s had arrived in A29 & A31. Everything else was shuttered, FIDS were turned off, jetbridges pulled back, not GSE around. There were 2 more A221 and a B739 parked at the south end of A, shades pulled, jetbridge pulled and I think engine covers on.
- Weird not to see any T-tails on A; there have always been DC-9/MD-88/MD-90/717 parked on the lower A gates since the new terminal opened. Today nothing just 2 A221s.
- Doing taxiway and ramp concrete repair in the area around A7-A21
- Zero traffic on the roadways around the airport, it was like it would be at midnight or later; Maybe 5 cars on the departures level, maybe 20-30 cars waiting at arrivals. I saw almost no shuttle busses for rental cars or offsite parking
- Parking garage for the McNamera looked very empty, you could literally see through the levels with a handful of cars
Strange times indeed.