Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sphealey
Topic Author

Wisdom of parking large #s of aircraft at one airport in North America

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:13 pm

I have seen reports from multiple sources of airlines parking large numbers of aircraft - making up a large percentage of their fleet - at one airport in North America. This brief article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is typical, implying that Delta will park up to 150 aircraft at ATL:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/flight-cuts-delta-planes-parked-atlanta-airport-runway-taxiways/OWiNuoo6IzULD9ovSC3EwL/

I have to question the wisdom of putting so many aircraft at one location as North America enters tornado season [1]. Tornadoes can occur in any month in North America but April to June is the peak season: https://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/newm.html. It would take only one large tornado to destroy a larger percentage of an airline's entire fleet as occurred to the B-36 fleet in 1952.

Dispersing an airline's fleet to multiple regional airports would mean it would take longer to get them back up and running as maintenance teams would have to travel from site to site, and the airlines would not have the price leverage over the regional airports that they have over their home base. But in terms of risk management its seems far wiser to me to disperse.

[1] Hurricane season as well. I assume no airline is parking at airports directly on the coast, but Atlanta and other southern locations can be affected by larger hurricanes

smartplane

Re: Wisdom of parking large #s of aircraft at one airport in North America

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Standard clause in a commercial aircraft hull insurance (ground) policy is to take all practicable steps to mitigate risk. Wouldn't have thought their financiers would be impressed to see such a concentration either, but everyone is distracted.

TWA772LR

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:55 pm

Hurricanes and tornados arent really prevalent in many parts of the US.

Also, whats to stop a crazy person from breaching an airport perimeter and hitting every airplane they see with a sledge hammer? Some things just happen.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jetblueguy22

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:58 pm

You need to have a balance between spreading the risk and minimizing the cost of storage.

Spreading the fleet over a massive amount of airports just isn’t cost efficient. How do you maintain them? What happens as they start coming back online? How do you ensure the security?

Parking 150 at ATL makes the most sense. TechOps is there and can work on them while they’re on the ground. You can do the required storage maintenance and best of all, you don’t have to move staffing around during a pandemic.

The statistical probability that ATL will be hit by a tornado is extremely small. And even if it does get hit, not all of the aircraft are parked in the same area.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:58 pm

Hurricanes aren’t really a concern because they come with days of warning. Take ERAU in DAB, which has scads of airplanes in a hurricane zone; they just move them if necessary. Moreover, it would take a crazily strong hurricane to produce conditions dangerous for aircraft hundreds of miles inland at ATL.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

KFLLCFII

Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:59 pm

sphealey wrote:
I have seen reports from multiple sources of airlines parking large numbers of aircraft - making up a large percentage of their fleet - at one airport in North America. This brief article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution is typical, implying that Delta will park up to 150 aircraft at ATL:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/flight-cuts-delta-planes-parked-atlanta-airport-runway-taxiways/OWiNuoo6IzULD9ovSC3EwL/

I have to question the wisdom of putting so many aircraft at one location as North America enters tornado season [1]. Tornadoes can occur in any month in North America but April to June is the peak season: https://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/newm.html. It would take only one large tornado to destroy a larger percentage of an airline's entire fleet as occurred to the B-36 fleet in 1952.

Dispersing an airline's fleet to multiple regional airports would mean it would take longer to get them back up and running as maintenance teams would have to travel from site to site, and the airlines would not have the price leverage over the regional airports that they have over their home base. But in terms of risk management its seems far wiser to me to disperse.

[1] Hurricane season as well. I assume no airline is parking at airports directly on the coast, but Atlanta and other southern locations can be affected by larger hurricanes

Atlanta has 192 gates...How many would normally be taken up by Delta aircraft on any given night?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:21 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:

Atlanta has 192 gates...How many would normally be taken up by Delta aircraft on any given night?

Ding ding ding!

How many direct tornadoes has ATL experienced in the last 20 years? These are very, very low probability events in a specific spot.

Lrockeagle

Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:43 pm

KFLLCFII wrote:
sphealey wrote:

Isn’t the model to have most aircraft at out stations for RON and have the first flight of the day be to the hub?
Lrockeagle
14 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

Polot

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm

Lrockeagle wrote:
KFLLCFII wrote:
sphealey wrote:

Isn’t the model to have most aircraft at out stations for RON and have the first flight of the day be to the hub?

It really doesn’t matter, at peak times of the day ATL (and all airports at their peak times) are packed with aircraft, sometimes well over a hundred aircraft depending on the size of the hub. Often when weather is unexpectedly bad.

We don’t question the wisdom of having all these aircraft on the ground at once in these super hubs.

Aesma

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:29 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
Hurricanes and tornados arent really prevalent in many parts of the US.

Also, whats to stop a crazy person from breaching an airport perimeter and hitting every airplane they see with a sledge hammer? Some things just happen.

Or throw a molotov cocktail at every aircraft possible.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MohawkWeekend

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:19 pm

The original poster is correct - it's not just tornado's but hail storms that could wreck havoc. I can't think of a part of the US that has more thunderstorms than the SE.

What was it 4 or 5 years ago Alabama, Mississippi and Oklahoma were by pounded by tornado's. Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada and California are the safest.
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

ltbewr

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:31 pm

Severe thunderstorms with high winds and hail are also a risk for aircraft. Likely airlines have done enough spreading around of aircraft to reduce risk from storm damage. As to risks of tornado damage, I would limit storage exposure in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas with high risk of tornadoes.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:53 pm

ltbewr wrote:
    Severe thunderstorms with high winds and hail are also a risk for aircraft. Likely airlines have done enough spreading around of aircraft to reduce risk from storm damage.
    As to risks of tornado damage, I would limit storage exposure in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas with high risk of tornadoes.

What about Nashville/Tennessee?
    Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

ltbewr

Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:56 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
    ltbewr wrote:
    Severe thunderstorms with high winds and hail are also a risk for aircraft. Likely airlines have done enough spreading around of aircraft to reduce risk from storm damage.
    As to risks of tornado damage, I would limit storage exposure in Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas with high risk of tornadoes.

What about Nashville/Tennessee?

That recent event was a real abnormality, but I would also include parts of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio also with some history of tornados.

FlyingElvii

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:10 pm

When you are trying desperately to conserve cash in a crisis, free ( or already paid for) parking is better than paying for parking elsewhere.

Add in going to a low-utization operation, if they use the sit raft every other day or do, they don’t have to through the expense of inspections and mothballing.

MohawkWeekend

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:21 pm

The Govt could offer free parking at airbases in the Southwest and at Davis-Monathan (sp?)
      300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

SkyVoice

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 pm

* * BAD JOKE ALERT * *

The spring training complex for the Cincinnati Reds & the Cleveland Indians is located in Goodyear, Arizona, across the street from the Phoenix Goodyear Airport (GYR). Now that spring training has been postponed, perhaps the ball clubs can make a few bucks by parking planes there!
      "Facing a crisis does not not build one's character, it reveals it."

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

- Robert H. Schuller

FLALEFTY

Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:10 pm

The locations chosen for short or long-term aircraft storage are guided by 1) Ample parking space. 2) Runways, taxiways and ramps that can handle heavy jets. 3) Adequate airport security. 4) MRO infrastructure for large aircraft maintenance. 5) Availablilty of a qualified MRO contractor or subcontractor with experience maintaining large airliners.

The following are some airports that meet the above criteria: ROW (American, United, others), VCV (just about every airline), MZJ (Delta, others), BYH (Delta), TUL (American), BFM (American, others), SBD (various airlines) and BHM (Delta). Others I can think of that also meet the criteria in my home state of Florida include LCQ (United and JetBlue get their A32X's serviced there) and VQQ (a former Navy Base near Jacksonville). I'm sure there are others.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos