Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

CRJ5000

Re: US ATC Impacts from Coronavirus Thread

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:12 pm

Has it now hit LGA? FAA reasoning is "Other / Staffing"
I know ZNY was impacted a couple days ago, but this one seems confined to LGA tower.

CTL ELEMENT: LGA
ELEMENT TYPE: APT
ADL TIME: 1954Z
DELAY ASSIGNMENT MODE: UDP
ARRIVALS ESTIMATED FOR: 24/2200Z - 25/0259Z
CUMULATIVE PROGRAM PERIOD: 24/2200Z - 25/0259Z
PROGRAM RATE: 12
FLT INCL: ALL CONTIGUOUS US DEP
DEP SCOPE: 1425
CANADIAN DEP ARPTS INCLUDED: CYHZ CYOW CYUL CYYZ CYTZ CYQB
DELAY ASSIGNMENT TABLE APPLIES TO: ZNY
MAXIMUM DELAY: 261
AVERAGE DELAY: 183
IMPACTING CONDITION: OTHER / OTHER
COMMENTS: ARR 04 DEP 31

MO11

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Short staffed at LGA. ZNY still on ATC Alert.

atcsundevil

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:
I know ZNY was impacted a couple days ago, but this one seems confined to LGA tower.

I posted a list further up thread that includes LGA, JFK, FRG, and ZNY. They've all been impacted for a few days now. Only FRG is ATC zero, while ZNY remains on alert with significant impacts. A lot of reroutes are forcing flights around ZNY airspace. LGA and JFK seem to be operating smoothly enough (given the decreased traffic counts, anyway). Only JFK has had traffic management initiatives — I haven't seen a TMI out for LGA since Friday or Saturday.

Oilman

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:06 pm

Can someone please explain what “ATC Alert” means?

ATCtower

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 pm

Oilman wrote:
Can someone please explain what “ATC Alert” means?

Without getting too much into it, “Be ready in case of ATC zero”.

There’s a lot more to it but that should suffice.
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

ekozie

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:40 pm

CRJ5000 wrote:

POSSIBLE STAFFING ISSUES AT LGA THIS AFTERNOON WHICH MAY REQUIRE A GROUND
DELAY PROGRAM. ZNY WILL NEED TO CLOSE SEVERAL DEPARTURE FIXES INCLUDING
WHITE, DIXIE AND DITCH AFTER 2030Z. OTHER ROUTES HAVE BEEN UPDATED.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:35 pm

KSNA went Zero

!FDC 0/1511 ZLA CA..AIRSPACE SANTA ANA, CA..TEMPORARY FLIGHTRESTRICTIONS WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 5 NM RADIUS OF 334032N1175205W(SEAL BEACH VORTAC SLI110011.4) SFC-2500FT SNA ATC ZERO OPS.PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(3) TEMPORARY FLIGHTRESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT. ONLY ACFT OPS UNDER DIRECTION OFSOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TRACON ARE AUTH IN THE AIRSPACE. SOUTHERNCALIFORNIA TRACON TELEPHONE 858-537-5895 IS IN CHARGE OF THEOPERATION. LOS ANGELES /ZLA/ ARTCC TELEPHONE 661-265-8205 ISTHE FAA CDN FACILITY. 2003271430-2003290001

krsw757

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:18 pm

Any other ATC people get new reduced schedules? ZJX starts Sunday.

portcolumbus

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:29 pm

Yeah, lots of places going 5 on and 5 or 10 off on fixed shifts.

atcsundevil

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:48 am

krsw757 wrote:
Any other ATC people get new reduced schedules? ZJX starts Sunday.

Yeah, it sounds like everywhere switches over on Sunday. ZDC is going to 5 on 10 off. It sounds like most centers are doing that, with the exception of ZME (5 on 5 off). Switching to a crewed system probably gives us a fighting chance of staying open if someone gets a positive test.

Bryanwestfield

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:24 am

Hey, new to the forum. ZTL controller, we’re going 5 on, 10 off starting Sunday.

atcsundevil

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:06 am

Bryanwestfield wrote:
Hey, new to the forum. ZTL controller, we’re going 5 on, 10 off starting Sunday.

Welcome! It sounds like this is the norm in most centers. Some places were rumored to be looking at 5 on 15 off, but I don't think most places are staffed well enough for that. Apparently some terminals are going to 3 on 3 off. Presumably ZME is the exception with 5 on 5 off since they actually have to staff a mid.

It'll be interesting to see how long this goes on for. I had annual coming up, which would have given me 25 days off, but I turned it back in. I'm not even sure I'd remember how to get to work if I were out for that long.

bravoindia

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:35 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Bryanwestfield wrote:

Welcome! It sounds like this is the norm in most centers. Some places were rumored to be looking at 5 on 15 off, but I don't think most places are staffed well enough for that. Apparently some terminals are going to 3 on 3 off. Presumably ZME is the exception with 5 on 5 off since they actually have to staff a mid.

It'll be interesting to see how long this goes on for. I had annual coming up, which would have given me 25 days off, but I turned it back in. I'm not even sure I'd remember how to get to work if I were out for that long.

A80 5 on 10 off. I started with 10 off first day back tomorrow. This is surreal and boring. I have annual in May that will make 25 straight off. Can’t imagine another day off let alone 15

atcsundevil

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:38 pm

bravoindia wrote:
A80 5 on 10 off. I started with 10 off first day back tomorrow. This is surreal and boring. I have annual in May that will make 25 straight off. Can’t imagine another day off let alone 15

My first day back is today after 10 off. I've never been more bored in my life.

I think the new scheduling is working out well though. At least it limits exposure among crews. In the last week of normal scheduling, I think I had a total of about three hours on position in five days, including an OT shift. It was totally pointless, so I'm glad they went to reduced staffing relatively quickly (at least by agency standards).

It sounds like all but two centers are 5/10 (ZME and ZAN are 5/5), but there are a ton of terminals on 5/5 because of staffing. Here are the few I've seen that are on 5/5: BGM, EMT, FAR, FXE, RDG, HEF, HTF, JCS, FAI, OGG, FFZ, ENO, ANC, HLN, CNO, MMU, MKE, ROW, CPR, FWA, LVK, OKC, DVT, Y90, BDL, ABI, HIO, ORL, CRP, SDF, ILM, MEM. I'm sure there are others, but that's what I've seen so far. FAY is still on normal RDOs UFN :roll:

bravoindia

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:35 am

Yes. PIT and CLE 5/10 I believe and MDT is 5/5

bravoindia

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:36 am

Today first day back. Couple of pushes to keep you on your toes but other than that very eerie compared to normal. Parts of the Tracon shut down in case of infection then we have a place to work. Crazy times. Can’t wait for next summer and beyond. Bring back the jets !!!

gq

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 pm

kalvado

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:02 pm

I wonder if I am right - but I see the change in approach patterns at our local airport. It is not a major one, but having 3-4 planes (737 or RJ) landing or taking off one after another was a common sight.
Long story short - I am some 15 miles from threshold, and can see the approach to RWY 19 flying overhead. Most of our traffic comes from south or west, so there is a fly-around to come onto 19. And usually, planes fly more or less 190 overhead - making turns further away from the runway.
Lately, the few planes I see are making a turn between me and runway, much closer to the airport than previously. I wonder what that means in terms of ATC procedures..

atcsundevil

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:35 pm

kalvado wrote:
I wonder if I am right - but I see the change in approach patterns at our local airport. It is not a major one, but having 3-4 planes (737 or RJ) landing or taking off one after another was a common sight.
Long story short - I am some 15 miles from threshold, and can see the approach to RWY 19 flying overhead. Most of our traffic comes from south or west, so there is a fly-around to come onto 19. And usually, planes fly more or less 190 overhead - making turns further away from the runway.
Lately, the few planes I see are making a turn between me and runway, much closer to the airport than previously. I wonder what that means in terms of ATC procedures..

It generally means everybody is getting pretty sweet shortcuts. Most places are operating in a "midnight" configuration, so a lot of the operational norms work differently. More shortcuts, planes can be left at altitude for longer, speed restrictions can be deleted, etc. In this case, it's probably because there aren't other flows in the pattern they usually need to work around, so they can get aircraft on their way sooner than usual.

geologyrocks

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:07 pm

bravoindia wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
Bryanwestfield wrote:

You should turn that in and bank it.

capitalflyer

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:20 pm

Listening in to Washington Tower (DCA) around noon as weather rolled through. Once that excitement ended and a Southwest flight landed on its 3rd attempt, I noticed that the tower was also doing ground control as well, clearing for push back, taxiing arriving and departing aircraft, etc. Is this the case at other airports as well? I imagine the low level of traffic enables this set up to reduce the staffing need and keep people safe. Or all the ground controllers got sick? I hope the former.

geologyrocks

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:29 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
Listening in to Washington Tower (DCA) around noon as weather rolled through. Once that excitement ended and a Southwest flight landed on its 3rd attempt, I noticed that the tower was also doing ground control as well, clearing for push back, taxiing arriving and departing aircraft, etc. Is this the case at other airports as well? I imagine the low level of traffic enables this set up to reduce the staffing need and keep people safe. Or all the ground controllers got sick? I hope the former.

Don't let those FlightRadar24 maps fool you. There's a whole bunch of nothing going on and unless you have a trainee, ground controllers are controllers...they're just working it at that moment in time.

bigb

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:29 pm

capitalflyer wrote:

DCA has a ground controller that handles taxi and pushes clearances.

Most major airports will have ramp controllers that hired back the airlines to handle ramp movements. Most smaller outstations aircraft are allowed to push as the pilots discretion or have to request to push from the ground controller (this is specified in company procedures).

capitalflyer

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:25 pm

bigb wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

Most major airports will have ramp controllers that hired back the airlines to handle ramp movements. Most smaller outstations aircraft are allowed to push as the pilots discretion or have to request to push from the ground controller (this is specified in company procedures).

I am again listening today and the same person is giving landing and take off clearances, pushback clearances, and taxi instructions. As an aircraft slows, the controller has repeatedly said "taxi to parking and stay with me".

To me, this means that they have one controller handling all aircraft movements. Maybe not routing clearances, etc. but any time an aircraft moves on the ground or in the air around DCA it is one person doing the talking.

capitalflyer

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:27 pm

geologyrocks wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

Don't let those FlightRadar24 maps fool you. There's a whole bunch of nothing going on and unless you have a trainee, ground controllers are controllers...they're just working it at that moment in time.

FR24 has nothing to do with ATC. I heard the WN flight call the go around. And it wasn't a bathroom break. One person handling it all for the couple hours I had it on.

atcsundevil

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:36 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
bigb wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

I am again listening today and the same person is giving landing and take off clearances, pushback clearances, and taxi instructions. As an aircraft slows, the controller has repeatedly said "taxi to parking and stay with me".

To me, this means that they have one controller handling all aircraft movements. Maybe not routing clearances, etc. but any time an aircraft moves on the ground or in the air around DCA it is one person doing the talking.

Like I said a few posts up, most facilities are running in a midnight configuration right now. I'm not a tower guy, but my understanding is that most towers operate with one controller in the cab on the mids. You probably aren't hearing many IFR clearances because pretty much anything departing DCA would use TDLS (datacomm). In the center environment, we're running on mid configs 95% of the time this week at least. That means there's one controller for each area (six areas in my building).

GoSteelers

Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:36 pm

I work in a tower. We normally run 8-9 positions during a normal day. We are doing three now. Clearance and flight data are combined with ground. We have a local (tower) controller for each side of the airport and that’s it. And to clarify, when you here a “ground” controller, he is still in the tower working right next to the “tower” controller. He is very much a controller and a lot of the busiest places, the ground position is the most complex and busiest. At my place it is the last position you get certified on. However, there is a difference between the ground controller and the ramp control. At most places, the ramp controllers aren’t controllers and are employed by the airport and not FAA controllers. They have no FAA certificates.

atcsundevil

Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:49 am

ZDC is the next facility impacted by coronavirus. The facility will be going ATC zero from 0200Z-0800Z for cleaning per FAA OIS Ops Plan. No word on further impacts. It is not a controller that tested positive.

https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_spt.jsp

HVN2HEL2LAX

Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:12 am

ZDC didn't get the word coronavirus is over? We're opening up the country; it's as reliable as your WX briefing.

UALifer

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:51 am

capitalflyer wrote:
bigb wrote:
capitalflyer wrote:

Pretty sure I heard a controller at SFO today give an aircraft clearance "UA XXX, San Francisco Ground, runway 1R, taxi via A, A1, cleared for takeoff, monitor tower 120.5" all in one transmission which was insane to me.

atcsundevil

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 am

HVN2HEL2LAX wrote:
ZDC didn't get the word coronavirus is over? We're opening up the country; it's as reliable as your WX briefing.

I mean, we all got the message, but I guess the janitorial staff didn't. Apparently they forgot to check their CEDAR.

HVN2HEL2LAX

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:53 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
HVN2HEL2LAX wrote:

I mean, we all got the message, but I guess the janitorial staff didn't. Apparently they forgot to check their CEDAR.

Give'm a PRoC.

LAXintl

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:10 am

Per advisory, services by ZLA will be interrupted tonight.

LAX ATC has informed that a Covid outbreak in the Los Angeles Air Traffic Control Center (ZLA) will result in a ground stop to all airports being served by ZLA. This interruption in service will commence at 2330hrs local and will last until 0300hrs local.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

SPREE34

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:04 am

ZFW and ZJX last week.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

atcsundevil

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:06 am

LAXintl wrote:

LAX ATC has informed that a Covid outbreak in the Los Angeles Air Traffic Control Center (ZLA) will result in a ground stop to all airports being served by ZLA. This interruption in service will commence at 2330hrs local and will last until 0300hrs local.

Second time this week at ZLA. ZJX went ATC zero twice this past week as well, ZMA went down once with no notice, and ZFW went down once as well. These CDC level 3 cleanings are seriously expensive too. I fully expect the instances of overnight ATC zero events at ARTCCs to increase, particularly in centers located in heavily affected states. Of course they'll increase in TRACONs and ATCTs too, but the impact isn't as noticeable because the airspace can revert to uncontrolled. I've been told that most facilities have transitioned from 5 on/10 off to either 5 on/5 off or back to normal schedules, which doesn't help matters when staffing levels are increased. Increases in traffic counts also mean that more sectors are needing to be staffed (particularly when airlines are running heavy banks now, just fewer banks than usual), making social distancing more difficult. It seems that the risk of exposure to controllers will be increasing throughout the summer.

32andBelow

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:36 am

atcsundevil wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

Second time this week at ZLA. ZJX went ATC zero twice this past week as well, ZMA went down once with no notice, and ZFW went down once as well. These CDC level 3 cleanings are seriously expensive too. I fully expect the instances of overnight ATC zero events at ARTCCs to increase, particularly in centers located in heavily affected states. Of course they'll increase in TRACONs and ATCTs too, but the impact isn't as noticeable because the airspace can revert to uncontrolled. I've been told that most facilities have transitioned from 5 on/10 off to either 5 on/5 off or back to normal schedules, which doesn't help matters when staffing levels are increased. Increases in traffic counts also mean that more sectors are needing to be staffed (particularly when airlines are running heavy banks now, just fewer banks than usual), making social distancing more difficult. It seems that the risk of exposure to controllers will be increasing throughout the summer.

The science says that surface spread is very rare. We just need to get tu sick people out. You don’t need to clean up Chernobyl.

GoSteelers

Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:07 am

Just curious from anyone that’s been at a facility that has a positive test; are they making that entire team/crew quarantine for 14 days or just the individual?

atcsundevil

Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:02 pm

GoSteelers wrote:
Just curious from anyone that’s been at a facility that has a positive test; are they making that entire team/crew quarantine for 14 days or just the individual?

The individual. Anyone who had close contact with the individual for a prolonged period (>10 minutes) fills out a questionnaire which is submitted to the regional flight surgeon, but the problem is that they don't release the name of the individual for privacy reasons. It kinda leaves everyone to play a guessing game.

32andBelow wrote:
The science says that surface spread is very rare. We just need to get tu sick people out. You don’t need to clean up Chernobyl.

I don't think I implied that surface exposure was the risk here, it's the inability to social distance. There are more sectors open now, they're bringing developmentals back so they don't lose currency, and staffing on shifts is increasing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that more bodies in the building increases the risk of exposure to someone who might be sick. When people are asymptomatic or presymptomatic, they don't know not to come to work — risk of asymptomatic spread is low, but people who are presymptomatic are contagious.

krsw757

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:47 pm

Honestly I don’t even know why they bother the cleaning. Watching first hand at my facility, it’s a joke and like you said expensive. It’s gone from “being safe” to doing as little as possible as to not disrupt the system. We’ve had 3 confirmed from 3 different crews.

GoSteelers

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:15 pm

krsw757 wrote:
Honestly I don’t even know why they bother the cleaning. Watching first hand at my facility, it’s a joke and like you said expensive. It’s gone from “being safe” to doing as little as possible as to not disrupt the system. We’ve had 3 confirmed from 3 different crews.

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. I thought the original point of splitting into non-overlapping crews was to limit the exposure and make it easy to separate people in the event of a positive test. So it sounds like that’s not the case. What a joke.

Bradin

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:00 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Is the interruption happening on June 29 at 2330hours local or has it already happened on June 28 at 2330 hours local?

hayzel777

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:29 am

Appears ZFW is also going ATC Zero tonight, between 0515z-0830z. ZFW departures stopped starting 0445z.

All flights must be rerouted around.

ATCSCC ADVZY 001 DCC 06/30/2020 FCA RQD

NAME: FCAZFW:ZFW_ATC_ZERO

CONSTRAINED AREA: ZFW

VALID: FCA ENTRY TIME FROM 300515 TO 300830

atcsundevil

Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:02 pm

GoSteelers wrote:
krsw757 wrote:

Yeah that’s what I was afraid of. I thought the original point of splitting into non-overlapping crews was to limit the exposure and make it easy to separate people in the event of a positive test. So it sounds like that’s not the case. What a joke.

And with a lot of facilities coming off COVID schedules despite the soaring number of cases, we're literally going back to square one. Presumably most facilities will shift back to COVID schedules come September when traffic numbers will likely drop off, but that won't really help in the mean time.

32andBelow

Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:22 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:
krsw757 wrote:

And with a lot of facilities coming off COVID schedules despite the soaring number of cases, we're literally going back to square one. Presumably most facilities will shift back to COVID schedules come September when traffic numbers will likely drop off, but that won't really help in the mean time.

Traffic isn’t going to drop off the schedules are less than half of normal right now.

atcsundevil

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:02 pm

32andBelow wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
GoSteelers wrote:

Traffic isn’t going to drop off the schedules are less than half of normal right now.

My understanding was that most of the traffic increases have gone to infrequent travelers. Those increases probably aren't sustainable after Labor Day. I think there will also be an appreciable drop-off after CARES funding expires on Sept. 30 if it's not extended.

atcsundevil

Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:18 am

ZDC to go ATC zero tonight for COVID cleaning per FAA OIS.

ATCJesus

Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 am

atcsundevil wrote:

Looks like ZHU also.

atcsundevil

Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:10 am

ATCJesus wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

Looks like ZHU also.

It was ATC zero earlier for "equipment issues" per the OIS, but now it appears that it could be for COVID cleaning. They were showing ATC zero for much of the afternoon and evening. It looked like maybe only a few areas went down when I checked earlier.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos