Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maps4ltd

Re: US ATC Impacts from Coronavirus Thread

Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:27 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Minneapolis and Kansas City center covid cleaning closures tonight causing delays. In MSP, many flights held until 2230 local.

Check out these routings into ORD and MDW

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA ... /KSEA/KORD
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA ... /KLAX/KMDW
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

maps4ltd

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:47 pm

DFW showing delays due to staffing. Anyone know if this is covid related?
All opinions expressed herein are mine and do not represent the views of Cape Air

atcsundevil

Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
DFW showing delays due to staffing. Anyone know if this is covid related?

It's not listed as a covid impacted facility, but that doesn't mean that it isn't. It's possible that one or a few areas are short due to contact tracing. I don't have any particular insight, but I do know firsthand that contact tracing can wipe out a crew pretty easily. The OIS lists it as "staffing/wx", which is generally the way they've coded covid related stuff for the past year.

UPlog

Mon May 24, 2021 11:16 pm

Austin tower was closed today for an hour due COVID disinfection protocols.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/ ... s-delayed/
I fly your boxes

MaxTrimm

Tue May 25, 2021 1:09 am

Wouldn’t be surprised if a COVID vaccine requirement happens for controllers, it seems like closures due to COVID at this point are either avoidable or can be solved without closing the facility. But I don’t know FAA protocol or health guidance or cleaning standards so I can’t be too sure my point is valid.

bravoindia

Tue May 25, 2021 4:17 am

MaxTrimm wrote:
Wouldn’t be surprised if a COVID vaccine requirement happens for controllers, it seems like closures due to COVID at this point are either avoidable or can be solved without closing the facility. But I don’t know FAA protocol or health guidance or cleaning standards so I can’t be too sure my point is valid.

Going to be extremely tough to mandate a vaccine to employees

ATCJesus

Tue May 25, 2021 4:49 am

MaxTrimm wrote:

They don’t even care anymore honestly. Surprised they even did a tower covid cleaning. All of the centers have a nightly “Covid” cleaning on the mid shift, so shouldn’t really see any major impacts going forward.

32andBelow

Tue May 25, 2021 7:15 am

All atc is back to regular hours and fully staffed june 6th

smokeybandit

Tue May 25, 2021 2:00 pm

MaxTrimm wrote:

The federal gov't can't mandate that its employees get a vaccine.

32andBelow

Tue May 25, 2021 2:04 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

ATCs have Medicals. The flight surgeon can say whatever they want.

atcsundevil

Tue May 25, 2021 2:15 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

Where does it say that? I think they can probably do whatever they want. An EO can probably compel federal employees to get vaccinated. I don't think that's too likely to happen, but unless something specifically says they can't force federal employees to get vaccinated, then it's likely in their power to do so.

Polot

Tue May 25, 2021 2:25 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:
MaxTrimm wrote:

Where does it say that? I think they can probably do whatever they want. An EO can probably compel federal employees to get vaccinated. I don't think that's too likely to happen, but unless something specifically says they can't force federal employees to get vaccinated, then it's likely in their power to do so.

Yes, let’s not forget that the federal government mandates vaccinations as a condition for employment in the military, and that mandate has been challenged and upheld in court.

The tricky thing about any mandate regarding Covid vaccine is its current use under an EUA (emergency use authorization). But the federal government could probably successfully mandate the covid vaccine for employment in the future if desired.

atcsundevil

Wed May 26, 2021 1:07 am

Polot wrote:
Yes, let’s not forget that the federal government mandates vaccinations as a condition for employment in the military, and that mandate has been challenged and upheld in court.

The tricky thing about any mandate regarding Covid vaccine is its current use under an EUA (emergency use authorization). But the federal government could probably successfully mandate the covid vaccine for employment in the future if desired.

Exactly. Covid has been a pretty major disruption at nearly every facility, but the effect was largely minimized by reduced traffic counts. We're only back to about 80% of baseline, but there are times of the day where we're running 110-115% at my facility compared to 2019. If there's a future surge in infections going into the fall/winter, it could cause some significant disruptions like we saw in LAS or MDW in March of last year. At some point, priority will need to go to the continuity of the operation, so vaccines may wind up becoming mandatory. I'm not saying it should or shouldn't, but if there's a justification to do so, then I would expect it to happen.

32andBelow

Wed May 26, 2021 3:05 am

Polot wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Pfizer already submitted to full approval. And saying you can’t mandate EUA is made up and hasn’t been tested.

Polot

Wed May 26, 2021 10:32 am

32andBelow wrote:
Polot wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

Pfizer already submitted to full approval. And saying you can’t mandate EUA is made up and hasn’t been tested.

I didn’t say it would be impossible to mandate under a EUA, just tricky. Because as you said it hasn’t been tested and people certainly would test it.

atcdan

Thu May 27, 2021 12:06 am

New mask MOU out for controllers today. Fully vaccinated personnel do not have to mask, non fully vaccinated personnel and all visitors will have to wear a mask in all common areas.

The FAA will not require proof of vaccination.

It seems like it’ll be on an honor system and of course the last part shows that they won’t be mandating vaccines anytime soon.

From what I understand now via a different MOU though you can be subject to discipline if you come to work sick? Anyhow I don’t know how much this will impact ATC facilities with closures but I would fathom that AUS was operating under protocols set up last summer/fall in the worst part of the pandemic in the US. I would guess that going forward the FAA will not be doing these total facility closures. But who knows.
LAX ATC

All posts are my own opinions and do not represent my employer or any government entity in any way.

atcsundevil

Fri May 28, 2021 3:46 am

atcdan wrote:
It seems like it’ll be on an honor system

Which is already working perfectly :banghead:

They technically should already know who's been vaccinated and who hasn't based on the 48hr DQ, but right now it seems like there isn't much that can be done to force unvaccinated people to mask up. They do have the ability to mandate vaccines subject to accommodations for religious beliefs or disability, but I think they're avoiding a fight with the union. It would have the potential to not just be a grievance issue, but it could turn into an EEO complaint. Personally I think NATCA should be pushing for a mandate, but it doesn't really matter what I think.

FlyingElvii

Fri May 28, 2021 4:19 am

atcsundevil wrote:
atcdan wrote:
It seems like it’ll be on an honor system

Which is already working perfectly :banghead:

They technically should already know who's been vaccinated and who hasn't based on the 48hr DQ, but right now it seems like there isn't much that can be done to force unvaccinated people to mask up. They do have the ability to mandate vaccines subject to accommodations for religious beliefs or disability, but I think they're avoiding a fight with the union. It would have the potential to not just be a grievance issue, but it could turn into an EEO complaint. Personally I think NATCA should be pushing for a mandate, but it doesn't really matter what I think.

Not to mention setting precedent for every other workplace.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos