Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

saleya22r

Re: Samaritan's Purse DC-8 flying GSO to Italy

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 am

Glad to see this 51-year old DC-8 active, the first DC-8-62 delivered to AY in February 1969. Finnair started the scheduled service HEL-JFK in May '69 with this airframe together with the sister ship delivered one month later. It was an important milestone for the company, and the routing was initially via CPH and AMS. They also flew a lot of charters to the Canaries, the Med etc, and were even hired for some Hajj operations in the 70s.

PW100

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:24 pm

Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

wjcandee

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:35 am

Well, the Samaritan's Purse people have set up a field hospital of negative pressure respiratory unit in tents in Central Park across from Mt. Sinai Hospital. 68 Extra beds and 10 ICU beds (meaning with vents). Pretty amazing setup. And those beds are significant. When major hospitals in the area have 30-50 patients on vents each, an additional 10 is nothing to sneeze at.

Everything is emblazoned with the Samaritan's Purse logo. I'm guessing that I'm about the only person in NYC who has a clue who they are -- and all because I have followed the story of their DC8.

COSPN

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:55 am

I’m no Bible thumper.. but these guys rock in my book...DC-8 combi and the Central Park set up is really super cool

TWA772LR

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:21 am

COSPN wrote:
I’m no Bible thumper.. but these guys rock in my book...DC-8 combi and the Central Park set up is really super cool

Seriously these guys are on point. They definitely put their money where their mouth is. I'm not a Bible thumper neither but they are definitely illuminating what Christianity is meant to be. If i was in a natural disaster, and all I needed to do was to be preached at a little while I got rescued, I can totally live with that.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

dfwjim1

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:27 am

Beautiful aircraft. Are the pilots for Samaritan's Purse subject to retirement at 65 or can they continue for flying them past that age? I could probably find my answer on Goggle but wanted to ask on this forum instead.

highflier92660

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:06 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Beautiful aircraft. Are the pilots for Samaritan's Purse subject to retirement at 65 or can they continue for flying them past that age? I could probably find my answer on Goggle but wanted to ask on this forum instead.

I believe the P.I.C. must be under age 65 while the F/O (and in the case of the DC-8) the F/E may be over that age.

flyinggoat

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:21 am

I'd be curious to see what type of fleet they operate. I know several years ago they were hiring bush plane pilots in Alaska, and they were looking for DC-3T pilots to fly supplies between Nairobi (or maybe it was Kampala) and South Sudan.

I know several people who are either on staff or have volunteered with SP. I've heard nothing but good things about them. They don't just go in to a place for a few weeks and pull out, but there are times where they stay long term. A friend of mine just got back from helping out with the Hurricane Irma rebuild efforts in the Bahamas, and there are teams on the ground to help out with the Australian wildfires. They were also involved with providing aid to the refugees in Europe a few years ago, and even had teams providing essentials on the beaches as the refugees would arrive.

The whole Operation Christmas Child program is pretty amazing as well.

If I ever felt like quitting my job and volunteering full-time, this would probably be one of the organizations I'd want to be a part of.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos