Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bhxdtw
Topic Author

IL62 heading east from France.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:06 pm

There's a lone IL62 making its way East, originating in what looks like Bordeaux. Just entering Iranian airspace. I see it on FR24.
Any ideas what this could be?

Seems strange, even for a Covid rescue/repatriation flight.

Not sure how to post my screenshot.

keesje

Re: IL62 heading east from France.

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:12 pm

https://www.flightradar24.com/IL62/2442566a

Rada Airlines EW-450TR ?

Also flew to Basel, Minsk, Budapest in recent weeks.

Maybe medical loads?
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:42 pm

Wow, interesting. I figured it might have something to do with covid but I have no idea who would operate the type

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:49 pm

Looks like its descending into IKA ... interesting find. IL62 from Bordeaux to Tehran .... Bizarre.

workhorse

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:14 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
Wow, interesting. I figured it might have something to do with covid but I have no idea who would operate the type

There isn't much choice. Russian Air Force, Air Koryo or the Belarusian cargo operator Rada Airlines. Most likely the latter.

Newark727

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:26 pm

If it were in my city, I think this one would be worth breaking quarantine to see.

oldJoe

Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:38 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
There's a lone IL62 making its way East, originating in what looks like Bordeaux. Just entering Iranian airspace. I see it on FR24.

As far as I know, the only airlines wich fly active a IL-62, are Air Koryo and Rada Airlines. I don`t believe Air Koryo sends out a aircraft for this mission.
You can exclude rescue/repatriation flights, because the two IL62`s of Rada Airlines are converted to freighters.

workhorse

Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:25 pm

oldJoe wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:

As far as I know, the only airlines wich fly active a IL-62, are Air Koryo and Rada Airlines. I don`t believe Air Koryo sends out a aircraft for this mission.
You can exclude rescue/repatriation flights, because the two IL62`s of Rada Airlines are converted to freighters.

:checkmark:

Air Koryo's Il-62s are only used for government transport and joyrides for tourists. Besides, they are not allowed to the EU. If, for whatever reason, Air Koryo had to operate a flight from BOD to IKA, they would have used a Tu-204.

Russian Air Force's Il-62s are used for... er.... whatever Russian Air Force wants to use them for, but honestly, I don't think they fly a lot these days. And again, if they had to fly to BOD they would have used an Il-96 or a Tu-204.

So, really, 99.9% it's Rada. Must have been an amazing sight (and sound! I wonder how many Bordelais have woken up thinking "what the hell is THAT???')

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:27 am

Lol right!! It was a random click as well... I expected it to be some kind of T tail or Biz jet but then I saw the IL62...

Watched it on FR24 and it indeed landed at IKA... So now the fun part is speculating why a Belarusian freighter is operating between Bordeaux and Tehran...

My logical and only idea is.... Wine delivery lol

Aesma

Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:36 am

France has provided medical supplies to Iran so that could be it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

argentinevol98

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:26 am

I imagine it's a freight charter for medical supplies of some kind. I wonder why no "normal" freight operator is involved. Perhaps few airlines are wiling to fly into Iran because of the nature of the outbreak there (in addition to some probable political reasons for at least some freight operators). Well, at least willing to fly in cheaply. It could also be possible that most freight operators are lacking capacity right now and the Rada fleet was the only thing cheaply available. Either way it must be a cool sight for any BOD based AvGeeks.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

xorrygva

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:45 am

It was a flight operated for Doctors Without Borders which has it logistical hub in Bordeaux:
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/what-we-do/news-stories/news/msf-sends-inflatable-hospital-and-emergency-team-iran-help-fight

The picture on the link shows the Il-62. Very likely from Rada since it is the only cargo version flying.

cedarjet

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 am

Cargo rates have skyrocketed, since the majority is carried in the belly of passenger flights which have all but stopped. (There is talk of putting widebody passenger liners back in the sky just for their underfloor cargo capacity.) You’ll plenty more of this bird in the coming weeks.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

tu204

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:59 am

Agree that it's Rada, however I think there's an operational cargo IL6 that belongs to the Kazan Aviation Factory (KAPO).

This has me curious now and I'll make some calls to see if it is operational and if it flies even a little...
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

SR380

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 am

workhorse wrote:
oldJoe wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:

:checkmark:

Air Koryo's Il-62s are only used for government transport and joyrides for tourists. Besides, they are not allowed to the EU. If, for whatever reason, Air Koryo had to operate a flight from BOD to IKA, they would have used a Tu-204.

Russian Air Force's Il-62s are used for... er.... whatever Russian Air Force wants to use them for, but honestly, I don't think they fly a lot these days. And again, if they had to fly to BOD they would have used an Il-96 or a Tu-204.

So, really, 99.9% it's Rada. Must have been an amazing sight (and sound! I wonder how many Bordelais have woken up thinking "what the hell is THAT???')

I agree with about this particular flight beeing the cargo version, belonging to Rada. As for Air Koryo they still fly the Il-62 (before the country lock down) to Vladivostok on a daily schedule. They still have P-885 wearing the classic livery, while (I think) P-881 became the Leaders's Air Force One, or Chamme-1 as they call it, wearing a new distinctive livery.

Cheers

workhorse

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:54 pm

SR380 wrote:
I agree with about this particular flight beeing the cargo version, belonging to Rada. As for Air Koryo they still fly the Il-62 (before the country lock down) to Vladivostok on a daily schedule. They still have P-885 wearing the classic livery, while (I think) P-881 became the Leaders's Air Force One, or Chamme-1 as they call it, wearing a new distinctive livery.

Are you sure about that? All FNJ-VVO flights I've seen lately were T20...

SR380

Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:55 pm

workhorse wrote:
SR380 wrote:

Depend on what you call "lately" last October at least in FNJ a Il-62 was definitely boarding of VVO.

workhorse

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:04 pm

SR380 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
SR380 wrote:

Depend on what you call "lately" last October at least in FNJ a Il-62 was definitely boarding of VVO.

Good to know. Thanks.

Areopagus

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:06 am

Roche (Hoffmann-La Roche) chartered an IL-62 last week to fly medicine to Iran.
Source: internal webcast