Ishrion
Topic Author

Bamboo Airways Planning Star Alliance or Oneworld by 2021

Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:27 pm

According to these, Bamboo Airways is planning to join either Star Alliance or Oneworld by 2021.

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/en/bamboo ... r-alliance
https://reisetopia.ch/news/bamboo-pruef ... zbeitritt/

However, both articles suggest Star Alliance is likely as the airline plans to launch flights to Munich.

SkyTeam would be a no for them as Vietnam Airlines is already in an alliance.

Bamboo is already discussing codeshare partnerships with other airlines.

onwFan

Re: Bamboo Airways Planning Star Alliance or Oneworld by 2021

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:00 pm

With Thai airways just next door and already significantly larger on the international front, I am not sure if it even makes sense to join Star? Not sure what incentive TG has to support their membership. On top of that ANA invests in VN. Not sure oneworld would be interested either - they should try to rope in PR instead.

cathay747

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:01 pm

Seems to me that oneworld would be a more logical choice vs. Star, given the saturation of Star carriers in Asia, too much overlap. Of course, this presupposes that Bamboo survives the pandemic meltdown.
Try a Little VC-10derness

Scotron12

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:09 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Seems to me that oneworld would be a more logical choice vs. Star, given the saturation of Star carriers in Asia, too much overlap. Of course, this presupposes that Bamboo survives the pandemic meltdown.

Exactly! If the largest A380 operator ceases operations and other carriers cutting back, whomever owns Bamboo seems to have money to burn!

Hey, good luck to them!

Antarius

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:18 pm

cathay747 wrote:

OW desperately needs a SE Asia presence. CX is great for getting in and out of the region, but not getting between countries. MH is a shell of what it was, so a intra-SE asia presence would be beneficial.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

usflyer msp

Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:57 pm

...and people in hell want water.

No alliance is going to be interested. They add nothing.

dfw88

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Not so bold prediction: Bamboo Airways will be out of business by 2021... I hope I'm wrong, but with their plans combined with the current situation I don't see them surviving long enough.

kriskim

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:11 pm

They don't have to apply for full membership, probably considering *A Connect or OW Connect.
A world built upon connectivity.

filipinoavgeek

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 am

Bamboo Airways already looks like a case of "too much expansion too soon". Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Maybe they should really become less ambitious and plan for the long-haul, because they're becoming reminiscent of WOW Air and Primera more and more by the day.

onwFan wrote:
Not sure oneworld would be interested either - they should try to rope in PR instead.

Despite the rumors of PR joining oneworld, I have doubts since ANA has a small stake in them, and oneworld has JL in it.

afterburner

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:07 am

Now is the worst time to start an airline business.

asuflyer

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:44 am

Bamboo is a diversified business they make most of their money in real estate and mining, they are not solely an airline business, they have been around along time in other sectors and it is very likely they will make it through this, unlike KE, Starlux or Air Macau.

onwFan

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:53 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Bamboo Airways already looks like a case of "too much expansion too soon". Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Maybe they should really become less ambitious and plan for the long-haul, because they're becoming reminiscent of WOW Air and Primera more and more by the day.

onwFan wrote:
Not sure oneworld would be interested either - they should try to rope in PR instead.

Despite the rumors of PR joining oneworld, I have doubts since ANA has a small stake in them, and oneworld has JL in it.

I think the way recent partnerships at JAL and ANA are concerned, they have been basically snatching each other’s partners every few years: ANA snatching VN from JAL, JL snatching GA from NH, etc.. So I think that ANA’s stake in PR means little.

When last year there were rumors of PR considering an alliance, people said Star was the most likely candidates, citing the NH stake. After that, if the first partnership they announce is with AA, and not UA; that clearly means something has been going on behind the scenes... Also add to that the recent spat between PR and UA. If they were considering SkyTeam, they would have gone with DL, but they didn’t. So clearly there is some shift going on.

It is clear that as transpacific JV partners, JL/AA want PR to swich partners from NH to JL before any deeper partnership can be formed, which explains why AA is not codesharing on mainland US-Asia routes (which overlaps with the JL JV), but codeshares on HNL/GUM-MNL which are not part of AA/JL JV.

zakuivcustom

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 am

asuflyer wrote:
Bamboo is a diversified business they make most of their money in real estate and mining, they are not solely an airline business, they have been around along time in other sectors and it is very likely they will make it through this, unlike KE, Starlux or Air Macau.

Slightly off topic, but Air Macau is own by CA (Air China), so there is no such thing as a need to diversify there...

Back to Bamboo - a few codeshare agreement, yes. Joining an alliance as somebody that was only around only 2 years by 2021? Too soon...

zeke

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:27 am

Ishrion wrote:
According to these, Bamboo Airways is planning to join either Star Alliance or Oneworld by 2021.

https://www.aerotelegraph.com/en/bamboo ... r-alliance
https://reisetopia.ch/news/bamboo-pruef ... zbeitritt/

However, both articles suggest Star Alliance is likely as the airline plans to launch flights to Munich.

SkyTeam would be a no for them as Vietnam Airlines is already in an alliance.

Bamboo is already discussing codeshare partnerships with other airlines.

I think such sentiments are delusional of the current situation. I dont see them surviving to the end of the year.

Antarius wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

OW desperately needs a SE Asia presence. CX is great for getting in and out of the region, but not getting between countries. MH is a shell of what it was, so a intra-SE asia presence would be beneficial.

I think the aviation industry will be very different on the other side of this situation, I dont think consumers will have the choices they had before, and I dont think fares will be at the levels we have just seen in 2019.

I would not be surprised to see 50 airlines in Asia vanish, Bamboo, Air Asia, Lion Air included. Those airlines just cannot afford the huge amount of debt this will add to the balance sheets.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

xxcr

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:38 am

I think Bamboo will benefit in joining star alliance. Even with TG and SQ around the corner. One world and sky team are both extremely weak alliances compared to Star.

Antaras

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:45 am

If Bamboo survive until 2021....
--------------------
Have a look at the existance of major alliances in the ASEAN region
SkyTeam: Garuda Indonesia, Vietnam Airlines

Star Alliance: Thai Airways Int'l , Singapore Airlines

oneworld: Malaysia Airlines, ????

As 1world is having weak existance in SEA, I guess that QH will be a valuable member of 1w.

// Plot-twist: in "Fly Bamboo" Facebook group (QH's official group on Facebook), official Bamboo Airways page pressed "Like" on this picture:
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Antaras

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:51 am

However...
[Plot-twist part 2]
As QH is eyeing JL to became its first partner, this move can "hint" that QH will become the next oneworld member?
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

J343

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:26 am

xxcr wrote:
I think Bamboo will benefit in joining star alliance. Even with TG and SQ around the corner. One world and sky team are both extremely weak alliances compared to Star.

I’m sorry, EXTREMELY WEAK? In what sense are both SkyTeam and oneworld extremely weak?
SkyTeam has China well covered
oneworld is the leading alliance in Australia/ New Zealand
oneworld is the leading alliance in South America (up until the 1st of May at least)
oneworld WILL have a strong USA network with AA and soon to have Alaska Airlines
oneworld HAS THE POTENTIAL to be the largest alliance for Europe-Latin American market depending on IAG’s Air Europa purchase, if it goes through the Europe-Latin America will soon have BA-IB and Air Europa
oneworld also has TATL JV and is the leading carrier between JFK-London- a market where revenue exceeds $1bn
Star Alliance may be the biggest alliance out of the three when taking into account the number of passengers and member airline and network but each alliances has their own strength and weaknesses. As others have posted here, Star Alliance is high saturated in Asia (SQ-TG-BR-CA-OZ-NH)

SkyTeam will be the least likely given VN’s membership. oneworld in my opinion is the most likely but in the current climate, their survival is in question. Also, NH’s 9% ownership in PR is nothing and will not mean PR is joining Star Alliance. PR has nothing valuable to add since Stat already has SE Asia well covered. There was a statement several years ago pointing out that Star Alliance is NOT interested in PR. There are several airline cross ownership and we don’t see them switching alliances (CA-CX, QR-LATAM, NH-VN, DL-AF-KL and VS; VS is not even a member of SlyTeam.

http://www.philippineflightnetwork.com/ ... s.html?m=1

avier

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 am

Bamboo airways should first see if they will be around in 2021 or not.

Antaras

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:55 am

afterburner wrote:
Now is the worst time to start an airline business.

Bamboo started one year ago...
Edit signature

hongkongflyer

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 am

Antaras wrote:
If Bamboo survive until 2021....
--------------------
Have a look at the existance of major alliances in the ASEAN region
SkyTeam: Garuda Indonesia, Vietnam Airlines

Star Alliance: Thai Airways Int'l , Singapore Airlines

oneworld: Malaysia Airlines, ????

As 1world is having weak existance in SEA, I guess that QH will be a valuable member of 1w.

// Plot-twist: in "Fly Bamboo" Facebook group (QH's official group on Facebook), official Bamboo Airways page pressed "Like" on this picture:

Paint the Door 1 Green can make them stand-out from other SA planes

Antaras

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:33 am

GUYS, if you are asking "will QH survive until 2021" then just have a look of its owner and chairman.

FLC Group is a damn big multifield group in Vietnam. It has a lot of subsidiary group in many field (QH in aviation, for example). Estimated value: around $9billions

Trịnh Văn Quyết is QH's chairman, as well as the founder, president of the mentioned FLC. He is one of the Vietnamese billionares with the net worth of $1.395billion.
Edit signature

AIRT0M

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:02 am

The owners of QH did not get rich by burning money. The diversification of FLC means nothing in a world, where every single business is affected by a worldwide crisis of unknown proportions.

It is extremly unlikely airlines like Bamboo will survive this. Major airlines around the world will go bankrupt.

filipinoavgeek

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:48 am

Antaras wrote:
GUYS, if you are asking "will QH survive until 2021" then just have a look of its owner and chairman.

FLC Group is a damn big multifield group in Vietnam. It has a lot of subsidiary group in many field (QH in aviation, for example). Estimated value: around $9billions

Trịnh Văn Quyết is QH's chairman, as well as the founder, president of the mentioned FLC. He is one of the Vietnamese billionares with the net worth of $1.395billion.

Having a diversified company and having rich owners is no guarantee that an airline can succeed long-term. Kingfisher's founder was fabulously wealthy and was one of India's richest men, and see how that turned out. HNA is a diversified group, and yet it and its subsidiary airlines are struggling. PR's owner is a dollar billionaire and the company is part of a large conglomerate, and yet it's been suffering from heavy losses for years.

eta unknown

Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:57 am

And how much of his own Dong will he continue to sink into Bamboo?

Scotron12

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm

Seems they running late payment on airport fees.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/c ... 73926.html

Antaras

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:36 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Seems they running late payment on airport fees.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/business/c ... 73926.html

Confirm that. LOL, I was laughing a whole day, wondering why QH can spend enough to keep those 3 789s but cannot spend a bit for some ground service. (FLC said that there are too many discussions between the group and ACV so BAV/FLC decided not to pay for those fees ??? :D ???, I read the news in original Vietnamese and can't even understand that reason ????)

In conclusion, QH will be a valuable member of 1W/SA, as if those UTA-style green doors are still flying on the sky until 2021.
Edit signature

strfyr51

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:48 pm

J343 wrote:
xxcr wrote:

I’m sorry, EXTREMELY WEAK? In what sense are both SkyTeam and oneworld extremely weak?
oneworld is the leading alliance in South America (up until the 1st of May at least)
oneworld WILL have a strong USA network with AA and soon to have Alaska Airlines
oneworld HAS THE POTENTIAL to be the largest alliance for Europe-Latin American market depending on IAG’s Air Europa purchase, if it goes through the Europe-Latin America will soon have BA-IB and Air Europa
oneworld also has TATL JV and is the leading carrier between JFK-London- a market where revenue exceeds $1bn
Star Alliance may be the biggest alliance out of the three when taking into account the number of passengers and member airline and network but each alliances has their own strength and weaknesses. As others have posted here, Star Alliance is high saturated in Asia (SQ-TG-BR-CA-OZ-NH)

SkyTeam will be the least likely given VN’s membership. oneworld in my opinion is the most likely but in the current climate, their survival is in question. Also, NH’s 9% ownership in PR is nothing and will not mean PR is joining Star Alliance. PR has nothing valuable to add since Stat already has SE Asia well covered. There was a statement several years ago pointing out that Star Alliance is NOT interested in PR. There are several airline cross ownership and we don’t see them switching alliances (CA-CX, QR-LATAM, NH-VN, DL-AF-KL and VS; VS is not even a member of SlyTeam.

So? are you tryin g to convince us? or you? Does either alliance need a new member in the region?? Because they Want to join? Does that mean they'll be INVITED to join? And airlines doesn't Pick the Alliance. The Alliance Picks THEM! And in Asia? Those carriers are all pretty Strong. What gives you the Idea they'd want to dilute themselves JUST to let in ANOTHER regional member?

J343

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:02 am

strfyr51 wrote:
J343 wrote:
xxcr wrote:

So? are you tryin g to convince us? or you? Does either alliance need a new member in the region?? Because they Want to join? Does that mean they'll be INVITED to join? And airlines doesn't Pick the Alliance. The Alliance Picks THEM! And in Asia? Those carriers are all pretty Strong. What gives you the Idea they'd want to dilute themselves JUST to let in ANOTHER regional member?

What exactly are you trying to argue with my statement? I am struggling to comprehend what you are saying. If I am not mistaken, an airline can join an alliance either by application or by invitation. The basis of my statements are all FACTS and sources are widely available in the public domain.

Airline alliances are marketing strategies but also want members to add value to their network giving customers more choice.

At no point did I mention that those airlines are weak in Asia. Perhaps READ THOROUGHLY before responding so aggressively.

Antaras

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:45 am

J343 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
J343 wrote:

What exactly are you trying to argue with my statement? I am struggling to comprehend what you are saying. If I am not mistaken, an airline can join an alliance either by application or by invitation. The basis of my statements are all FACTS and sources are widely available in the public domain.

Airline alliances are marketing strategies but also want members to add value to their network giving customers more choice.

At no point did I mention that those airlines are weak in Asia. Perhaps READ THOROUGHLY before responding so aggressively.

Guys, stop arguing. Both alliances have their good points and bad points.
What we are waiting for is not "which alliance will QH join in 2021?" but "will QH survive to join an alliance in 2021?"
Edit signature

SCFlyer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 am

The question would be more like will Bamboo Airways survive in 2021 in its current form, rather than the Alliance question.

filipinoavgeek

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 pm

Does anyone know how well Bamboo is doing financially speaking, or in terms of load factors? And does anyone know how healthy the state of the Vietnamese airline industry is? The last news I heard is that Vingroup (which is one of Vietnam's largest conglomerates) dropped plans to start an airline, apparently due to intense competition in the market. What does that mean for Bamboo then?

Antaras

Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:09 am

filipinoavgeek wrote:
Does anyone know how well Bamboo is doing financially speaking, or in terms of load factors? And does anyone know how healthy the state of the Vietnamese airline industry is? The last news I heard is that Vingroup (which is one of Vietnam's largest conglomerates) dropped plans to start an airline, apparently due to intense competition in the market. What does that mean for Bamboo then?

Last year QH finally made profit (no loss), I felt lucky for it.
Bamboo once said on its Facebook page said that its flights' filled up ratio is around 90%.
And yep, Vinpearl Air's launch was cancelled by Vingroup https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1439025 and it should be lucky for QH, when there is not much space in Vietnamese aviation (especially for FSCs) now.
Edit signature

potter787

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:41 am

Last year QH finally made profit (no loss), I felt lucky for it.[/quote]

I am skeptical of this given that QH is not publicly traded and doesn't disclose any financial statements. This is purely based on an interview with management.

Tankdiver

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 am

Antaras wrote:

I like your enthusiasm towards Bamboo. Like you, I'm too a Vietnamese and when I see a company from my home country, I cheer them on. But don't let this enthusiasm cloud your judgement. It doesn't matter how much Bamboo chairman Mr. Trịnh Văn Quyết has in his account, it might not be enough. Most of his fortune came from tourism and all the resorts and hotels properties that he owns. These are the areas that are hardest hit right now during this Covid19 pandemic. These are the worst business to be in right now. With flights, hotels, and resorts attendance down to practically nothing, Mr.Trịnh Văn Quyết is not immune to bleeding cash. There are other billionaire who has much more cash that him and they are hurting too. Do you think the banks and leasing companies will give him a free pass while Bamboo parks all their shiny new aircraft? I'm pretty sure most of his resorts and hotels are not built with his own cash. Their construction are financed through some banks, so he still has to make those monthly payment. Since Bamboo is a fairly new expansion of FLC, and most aircraft are leased, I would bet that Mr. Trinh would rather let Bamboo go and save the cash reserve for his properties instead. If FLC (the entire company) makes it out of this alive, maybe one day Mr. Trinh will try a reboot of Bamboo. Unless Mr. Trinh owns factories that produce N95 masks, hand sanitizers, or ventilators, I don't see how he can come out of this with out losing Bamboo.

Antaras

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:32 am

Tankdiver wrote:
Antaras wrote:

I like your enthusiasm towards Bamboo. Like you, I'm too a Vietnamese and when I see a company from my home country, I cheer them on. But don't let this enthusiasm cloud your judgement. It doesn't matter how much Bamboo chairman Mr. Trịnh Văn Quyết has in his account, it might not be enough. Most of his fortune came from tourism and all the resorts and hotels properties that he owns. These are the areas that are hardest hit right now during this Covid19 pandemic. These are the worst business to be in right now. With flights, hotels, and resorts attendance down to practically nothing, Mr.Trịnh Văn Quyết is not immune to bleeding cash. There are other billionaire who has much more cash that him and they are hurting too. Do you think the banks and leasing companies will give him a free pass while Bamboo parks all their shiny new aircraft? I'm pretty sure most of his resorts and hotels are not built with his own cash. Their construction are financed through some banks, so he still has to make those monthly payment. Since Bamboo is a fairly new expansion of FLC, and most aircraft are leased, I would bet that Mr. Trinh would rather let Bamboo go and save the cash reserve for his properties instead. If FLC (the entire company) makes it out of this alive, maybe one day Mr. Trinh will try a reboot of Bamboo. Unless Mr. Trinh owns factories that produce N95 masks, hand sanitizers, or ventilators, I don't see how he can come out of this with out losing Bamboo.

I agree that Bamboo might not survive.
However, Bamboo should think about returning its old A320ceos aircraft to the lessors. As now only five domestic routes are allowed to be operated (twice per day), it is more profitable for Bamboo to focus on its neos and 789s, and not operating the thirsty old A320s. You know, "còn nước còn tát", Bamboo should have robust solution now to improve its financial status.
Edit signature

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos