n7371f
Topic Author

The new domestic service standard: just water. DL now onboard.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:36 am

Communications are going out tonight to DAL inflight that beginning Wednesday morning, their service will all but emulate Southwest and AA: water. This includes all DAL domestic first class - nothing catered but bottled water and for flights over 900 miles, a flight fuel box. Only domestic run not effected is ATL-HNL.

Obviously a cost cutting move - also a health prevention move - and recent feedback from in-flight crews that most passengers were just asking for bottled water.

whywhytee

Re: The new domestic service standard: just water. DL now onboard.

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:43 am

Is this permanent?

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:47 am

Obviously a cost cutting move? Um, no, that will be an unintended benefit, but not a cost cutting move.

"is this permanent?" you cant be serious
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

whywhytee

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:49 am

jpetekyxmd80 wrote:
Obviously a cost cutting move? Um, no, that will be an unintended benefit, but not a cost cutting move.

I was being serious though, is this just a temporary thing to try to save money during COVID-19, or is it a permanent change?

WayexTDI

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:52 am

n7371f wrote:
Communications are going out tonight to DAL inflight that beginning Wednesday morning, their service will all but emulate Southwest and AA: water. This includes all DAL domestic first class - nothing catered but bottled water and for flights over 900 miles, a flight fuel box. Only domestic run not effected is ATL-HNL.

Obviously a cost cutting move - also a health prevention move

Don't you think it has more to do with COVID-19???

n7371f wrote:
and recent feedback from in-flight crews that most passengers were just asking for bottled water.

I don't know how "recent" or what proportion "most passengers" exactly mean; but, my observation onboard DL flights is that it's extremely rare that people only take water. Most who do ask for it as a "side" drink because they are thirsty as heck (including me), but they also take a soda/coffee/tea/adult beverage.

qf789

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:56 am

whywhytee wrote:
jpetekyxmd80 wrote:

I was being serious though, is this just a temporary thing to try to save money during COVID-19, or is it a permanent change?

While I can understand some thinking this is a cost saving measure it is more to do with limiting cabin crew exposure to passengers, essentially the crew are there for safety reasons hence why a lot of airlines have removed meal/drink services
Forum Moderator

n7371f
Topic Author

Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:59 am

Everything is COVID driven. Not privy as to how much the health factor factors Into that extreme service pullback but one can guess it further limits touch points and Interactions.

And as for for recent feedback, it’s within last 9-12 days as pandemic grows.

Raises interesting point: why would anyone bother paying for first class now. The coach section is going to be empty anyway creating loads of space.

WayexTDI wrote:
n7371f wrote:

n7371f wrote:
and recent feedback from in-flight crews that most passengers were just asking for bottled water.

I don't know how "recent" or what proportion "most passengers" exactly mean; but, my observation onboard DL flights is that it's extremely rare that people only take water. Most who do ask for it as a "side" drink because they are thirsty as heck (including me), but they also take a soda/coffee/tea/adult beverage.

jpetekyxmd80

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:06 am

n7371f wrote:
Everything is COVID driven. Not privy as to how much the health factor factors Into that extreme service pullback but one can guess it further limits touch points and Interactions.

It is the only factor.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Spiderguy252

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:08 am

It's as 'temporary' as the fuel surcharge introduced in 2007 to combat 'currently high fuel prices'.
Vahroone

usxguy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:15 am

I flew Alaska First Class on Friday, we were offered only water or cans of soda. Snack basket was passed around, and deli packs offered from economy.

No more inflight magazine either.
xx

avier

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:16 am

qf789 wrote:
While I can understand some thinking this is a cost saving measure it is more to do with limiting cabin crew exposure to passengers, essentially the crew are there for safety reasons hence why a lot of airlines have removed meal/drink services

True. Air India had in recent weeks instructed FA to leave just bottle of watter with packed food in a box in the seat pocket in Y domestic, before pax boarding itself. This was to avoid crew interaction with pax and to keep them away as much as possible from main cabin.
This could be a similar move. I also wonder if DL is going to similarly keep it already placed in the seat pockets or have their FA's go on a water run to serve directly.
Last edited by avier on Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

speedbird52

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:16 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
It's as 'temporary' as the fuel surcharge introduced in 2007 to combat 'currently high fuel prices'.

Exactly. Be careful with what you accept as a "counter measure for Covid 19". It may end up never going away. What's that saying about the frog in the boiling pot of water?

zippy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:26 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

Exactly. Be careful with what you accept as a "counter measure for Covid 19". It may end up never going away. What's that saying about the frog in the boiling pot of water?

It didn't die of COVID-19.

VSMUT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

:checkmark:

I've had the same thoughts. I'd expect at least one major airline to take advantage of this.

Flanker7

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:04 am

This is not cost driven but to minimize exposure to crew. Its happening in Europe as well. KLM on European flights will make sure that a sandwich and water is placed on the seat prior to boarding and will ask passengers to even take their own trash from board. All this to limit the time spent in the cabin for crew. Longhaul is adjusted as well, same meals throughout all classes with no drinks services other then water runs. These are covid measures to protect crew nothing else.
Flying blue only if possible

Lootess

Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:52 am

I guess some forget Delta FAs are not unionized and the company is actually doing something in the best interests of the FAs to limit contact with passangers. You know after the banned for life episode on jetBlue the other week?

Ed already said the Sky Magazine is being removed as well.

VSMUT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 am

Flanker7 wrote:
same meals throughout all classes with no drinks services other then water runs.

So do they compensate the business class passengers?

Flanker7

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:40 am

VSMUT wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
same meals throughout all classes with no drinks services other then water runs.

The have received a mail with explanations why, cannot say for sure if any form of compensation is in place.

VSMUT

Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 am

Flanker7 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

The have received a mail with explanations why, cannot say for sure if any form of compensation is in place.

Well I'll make sure to avoid KLM for my long-haul business class trips in the forseeable future then.

cedarjet

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:40 am

VSMUT wrote:
Well I'll make sure to avoid KLM for my long-haul business class trips in the forseeable future then.

Yes, you do that.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

chonetsao

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 am

I can think of British Airways's Fuel Surcharge in 2007/2008 that end up being a permanent measure and the name is changed to Carrier Imposed Surcharges as the oil price dropped so much.

There is always a danger that temporary measure become permanent, sometimes it is not only the customer service cost cutting.

giblets

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:06 am

DL are not the only ones, BA and others are following suit, even on intercon, meals are only pre-packaged ones.
146, ATR72, Q400, Saab 340, PA-46 Jetprop, Jetstream, E175/195, 707/727/737/747/757/767/777, DC-3/9/10, MD-11/80, A300/310/319/320/321/330/340/350/380 Tristar, BAC 1-11, Trident, Chipmunk, Bell 206/222, Chinook, Puma, Cessna 172, Fokker 70, 100, SRN4!

Cointrin330

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:08 pm

Interesting to see DL being a follower, and not a leader here (WN and AA previously announced service cut backs like this in response to COVID19). Obviously, it is a cost cutting move first and foremost, and also a way to try and protect flight attendants, airline staff, and passengers as much as possible. When the dust clears, I would not be surprised to see all the so-called perks like oreos, biscoff cookies, premium coffee, free meals in coach on longer US domestic segments (transcons) disappear for good until the next meaningful economic upswing.

DL717

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:13 pm

One reason: Minimize exposure from food contamination.

Don’t buy it? Keep going to those drive throughs that are still open and see how that shakes out for you.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

eamondzhang

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:19 pm

avier wrote:
qf789 wrote:

True. Air India had in recent weeks instructed FA to leave just bottle of watter with packed food in a box in the seat pocket in Y domestic, before pax boarding itself. This was to avoid crew interaction with pax and to keep them away as much as possible from main cabin.
This could be a similar move. I also wonder if DL is going to similarly keep it already placed in the seat pockets or have their FA's go on a water run to serve directly.

All airliness in China are only providing pre-packed meals and drink right now even on intercontinental flights for Y class. Think in Business/First it also abandoned chinas and instead use the disposable materials due to coronavirus.

Michael

kavok

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:26 pm

Bottle water is not any cheaper than soda anyway. So there really isn’t much of a cost savings by just going to water. And even though the alcohol is going away for now, you can bet Delta won’t pass up the future opportunity to sell drinks in coach once the virus situation ends.

Flanker7

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:34 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Entirely up to you , it's not going to stay like this.

planecane

Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm

DL717 wrote:

Don’t buy it? Keep going to those drive throughs that are still open and see how that shakes out for you.

No. Not food contamination. Possibly the packaging for however long the virus lives on a paper or plastic bag but that's no different from buying something at the grocery store.

The FDA has specially said that there is no evidence of transmission by eating food.

If they are giving sealed bottles this prevents touching of cups. It also minimizes the interaction time between FA and PAX because there are no choices.

Indy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:

People should never underestimate the ability of a business to do the wrong thing where profit is concerned. I would think this has to be temporary. There would be too much blow back. Though airlines used to serve meals on domestic flights and basically used 9/11 as an excuse to cut the service. It never came back.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

DL717

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:01 pm

planecane wrote:
DL717 wrote:

No. Not food contamination. Possibly the packaging for however long the virus lives on a paper or plastic bag but that's no different from buying something at the grocery store.

The FDA has specially said that there is no evidence of transmission by eating food.

If they are giving sealed bottles this prevents touching of cups. It also minimizes the interaction time between FA and PAX because there are no choices.

Airline meals are put together by humans, not a machine. Getting a meal on a plane is not the same as a TV dinner. There are tons of opportunities along the airline meal production chain for exposure. It’s not the same as the grocery store.

As for food contamination? How about someone sneezing on those nice red tomatoes you just touched? Did it get washed with soap before you touched them? How about that checkout counter you set them on? I guess you went from picking them up with a rubber glove, kept them sealed until you got home and immediately dropped them into a sink of soapy water to make sure it was sterile. Oops. Probably weren’t very careful with those rubber gloves that has the virus on it that’s now on your steering wheel in your car for then next time you drive over the next couple of weeks when you don’t wear gloves. Same with everything else you picked up at the grocery store right? Now go eat that salad in Business Class. Maybe it comes with Dawn salad dressing and water.
Last edited by DL717 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CobaltScar

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:09 pm

Passengers should want this. Or do you really need a cup of coffee that has a lid pressed down on it by the gloved hand of a FA that has been doing tons of other things with that same gloved hand? Or ice for a coke that was scooped up with a small tool that has the FAs hand inside the ice bucket??

Oh and lets not forget many of these same FAs are expected to dig into seat back pockets and cross seatbelts between flights too. And with how catchy this thing is, well...
Last edited by CobaltScar on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DL717

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:10 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Passengers should want this. Or do you really need a cup of coffee that has a lid pressed down on it by the gloved hand of a FA that has been doing tons of other things with that same gloved hand? Or ice for a coke that was scooped up with a small tool that has the FAs hand inside the ice bucket??

This right here.

BN727227Ultra

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:39 pm

n7371f wrote:

Obviously a cost cutting move - also a health prevention move - and recent feedback from in-flight crews that most passengers were just asking for bottled water.

I can abide this. I never saw the purpose behind giving me a half-can of soda--give me the whole can!--and half or whole, I can imagine the recycling process takes up a lot of time and space where both are at a premium onboard.

CrewBunk

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:48 pm

giblets wrote:
DL are not the only ones, BA and others are following suit, even on intercon, meals are only pre-packaged ones.

Air Canada is doing the same thing. Water only in domestic Y. Prepackaged meals in J, W and international Y.

nws2002

Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:56 pm

SY was the first to do this, and it was at the request of the FAs to limit contact between passengers and crew.

Antaras

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm

Still better than HX.
(There is not a single piece of magazine)
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

wnflyguy

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm

Post Covid 19 airline industry I can totally see everyone including WN acting more like Ryan air or Norwegian. The days of over serving are in the past. US airport will probably look more like EU airport with more grab and go stuff.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Ziyulu

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:12 pm

When I flew AA from DFW to AUS in 2016, not even a drink was provided. When I flew UA from AUS to IAH, only a cup of water was offered.

Adipocere

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:33 pm

I hope airlines rescind non rev flying benefits from here on.

inlikepitt

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:56 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
When I flew AA from DFW to AUS in 2016, not even a drink was provided. When I flew UA from AUS to IAH, only a cup of water was offered.

That would be due to the rather short duration of the flight. This is not unusual at all, especially if there is poor weather or turbulence.

CanesFan

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm

Adipocere wrote:

Lol! Why?

SWALUV

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Adipocere wrote:

There's a lot of employees who commute on those, both passenger and cargo flights that are taking medical equipment around the world right now.

chepos

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:04 pm

Adipocere wrote:

How is NRSA travel related to this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

LNCS0930

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:17 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

The entire industry is cyclical in most ways. I would not be surprised if from 2021-2024 we saw somewhat reduced cabin service amenities as things recovered but unlikely you would see it last much past 2-3 years. Someone also ups the ante and inevitably the other carriers follow soon behind.

jfklganyc

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:22 pm

It is all airlines

B6 started last week

Crisis mode

WayexTDI

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:24 pm

n7371f wrote:

And as for for recent feedback, it’s within last 9-12 days as pandemic grows.

Raises interesting point: why would anyone bother paying for first class now. The coach section is going to be empty anyway creating loads of space.

WayexTDI wrote:
n7371f wrote:

n7371f wrote:

No business (especially not DL who is very customer satisfaction driven) will make such drastic changes permanent based on 9-12 days worth of feedback (especially since those days already saw drastic reduction in passengers).
This is purely health-driven. Remember also that DL has contracts with soda and beer manufacturers that must be honored; stopping permanently the serving of sodas (mainly) would mean DL has to void the contract and most likely pay penalties.

airzona11

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 pm

Airlines did a great job of keeping fuel surcharges, bag fees, changes fees, you name it during the last turn downs and crisis they encountered. Their track record is they are going to use covid to reduce costs and cut service as the new normal. Stings even more if they get bailed out and do so.

DTWorld

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Adipocere wrote:

Lol! Good luck hiring people.

Ziyulu

Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:42 pm

Remember airlines got rid of meals due to 9/11. The meals never came back.

SWALUV

Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:21 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Remember airlines got rid of meals due to 9/11. The meals never came back.

9/11 didn't involve a virus that spreads via contaminated surfaces.. This is temporary.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos