Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Prost

Re: The new domestic service standard: just water. DL now onboard.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:41 pm

I hope those who are lamenting the service reductions understand the airlines are trying to reduce risk. Risk for the crews, risk for the customers. I’m sure Delta would be willing to give up all the stars in the constellation to save the lives of their customers and employees.

eamondzhang

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Can you imagine 5 star airlines doing this? Like SQ, NH, or JL? I don't think so. If I were SkyTrax, any airline that cuts back on food or drink offerings during this time should automatically lose one star.

I can tell you right away that JL and NH are both doing this right now, at least short haul (incl. domestic). To limit the exposures of crew and passengers and the potential of spreading the disease as per the WHO guidelines.

Can almost guarantee you that you are the only one who cares about star or not right now. No one else, including airlines, care about this.

It doesn't really matter, I know, as you never seem to care.

Michael

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 am

SXDFC wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I just flew Southwest back from Hawaii to the east coast the other day. Three flights. We didn't even get water! When we got to Baltimore starving and thristy, the flight crew had the captain go get Maconalds for them, while the other seven passengers and I just watched.

How many points between Hawaii and Baltimore did you come across a open kiosk, vending machine? Because of this COVID issue SWA has halted the service of all drinks, snacks on their planes, not the crew. From my understanding, if you asked for some water, and they have it on the plane, they will give it to you..

For those who are flying during this time, thank you for your cooperation, thank you for your support, and I am sure you can understand why things are well out of the normal..

For those who are flying and complaining about lack of drinks and snacks, did you get to your destination safely?

If you’d really like to know. I flew KOA-SJC, with not even water. Got to SJC at 8pm and not a single food option was open in the airport aside from the newshop. Connected to SAN, on a flight with seven people. Nothing again. Got to a downtown hotel at 1:30am. Nothing open to buy any food, but at least there was a vending machine with Powerade. Got up early the next morning and flew SAN-DEN-BWI with 19 and 20 passengers respectively. (Did get a snack at the DEN airport) but then back on the plane to BWI. Arrived there at 9pm and we didnt get off the plane while we waited for it to continue to PWM in 40 mins with nine passengers. Flight crew said there was nothing open for food in the airport, anyway, other than a Macdonald’s in the other terminal they came back with food from. Didn’t feel like risking my next flight trying to get to MAc D’s. Arrived home at midnight, to, surprise, nothing being open other than gas stations. At least I got a good drink after two days traveling back from Hawaii with almost no food or drink.

Hell, they could have at least literally thrown me a can of water if they didn’t want to get close to us. (Ironiclaly, the flight attendant had no problem taking my GF ‘s air sick bag full oempty stomach and dehydration induced dry heaves when we deplaned in PWM)
Last edited by pwm2txlhopper on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ziyulu

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:40 am

CrewBunk wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Can you imagine 5 star airlines doing this? Like SQ, NH, or JL? I don't think so. If I were SkyTrax, any airline that cuts back on food or drink offerings during this time should automatically lose one star.

You’re really not reading what is on this thread, are you?

If SQ, NH and JL, are not respecting these WHO guidelines, then they are displaying very little regard for the safety of their Flight Attendants and their passengers. I find it odd that you feel “maintaining a skytrax star” is more important than the lives of those involved.

It is also disturbing that the Flight Attendants may not even have the luxury of avoiding a dangerous situation, depending on the labour laws of where they live.

As far as ignoring the problem goes. Think about the forecast 100,000 COVID-19 deaths in the United States, in the name of turning a back on statistics in order to preserve the economy. Don’t forget, things will be better by Easter, right?

You don't have to have contact to provide these items. Like one mentioned, put them in the gate area. Or have a self service area where you grab drinks and snacks.

Ziyulu

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:43 am

Japan Airlines website mentions for domestic flights:

Domestic Flights
First Class
We will temporarily provide packaged wet paper towels.

Class J and Economy Class
We will temporarily stop the blanket and pillow service.
We will temporarily serve cartoned tea for the drink service. Apple juice are prepared for children.

Ziyulu

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:50 am

So based on others, any airline that is serving food right now is risking flight attendants lives, right? Just wow!

aemoreira1981

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 am

Long-term, I expect pre-packaged meals only, along with a heating device (I'm talking like an MRE heating device, activated by water), with fewer handling required by cabin crew, and nothing that has to be opened by the flight attendant. I also wonder if there may be a snack machine on board as part of a BOB program for Y on both narrow- and wide-body planes to that end. The idea is: nothing to be opened by cabin crew.

CrewBunk

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:46 am

Ziyulu wrote:
So based on others, any airline that is serving food right now is risking flight attendants lives, right? Just wow!

Are you suggesting you know better than the World Health Organization? Wow, is right.

These guidelines, through each country’s governing body, are the source of these actions. They require immediate action, as right now is crucial to the United States. It can either go the direction of Canada, or end up like Italy or Spain. But action is required NOW.

And, for the record, it’s not just Flight Attendants’ lives, but passengers as well.

Perhaps, some time in the future, new methods of cabin service can be devised allowing safety for both passengers and crew. But the US is running out of time.

KLAM

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 am

DL717 wrote:
planecane wrote:
DL717 wrote:
One reason: Minimize exposure from food contamination.

Don’t buy it? Keep going to those drive throughs that are still open and see how that shakes out for you.

No. Not food contamination. Possibly the packaging for however long the virus lives on a paper or plastic bag but that's no different from buying something at the grocery store.

The FDA has specially said that there is no evidence of transmission by eating food.

If they are giving sealed bottles this prevents touching of cups. It also minimizes the interaction time between FA and PAX because there are no choices.

Airline meals are put together by humans, not a machine. Getting a meal on a plane is not the same as a TV dinner. There are tons of opportunities along the airline meal production chain for exposure. It’s not the same as the grocery store.

As for food contamination? How about someone sneezing on those nice red tomatoes you just touched? Did it get washed with soap before you touched them? How about that checkout counter you set them on? I guess you went from picking them up with a rubber glove, kept them sealed until you got home and immediately dropped them into a sink of soapy water to make sure it was sterile. Oops. Probably weren’t very careful with those rubber gloves that has the virus on it that’s now on your steering wheel in your car for then next time you drive over the next couple of weeks when you don’t wear gloves. Same with everything else you picked up at the grocery store right? Now go eat that salad in Business Class. Maybe it comes with Dawn salad dressing and water.

There is no evidence that COVID is transmitted through food. It could happen, but FDA states it is low risk.

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-safety-du ... 9-covid-19
flyOM

WayexTDI

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:58 am

Ziyulu wrote:

If you stop your judgement to what SkyTrax says, then that's OK: it's well know that SkyTrax is a joke. So, if they decide to downgrade an airline just because they follow the WHO recommendations, then that means that airline is doing something right.

catiii

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:41 am

CrewBunk wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Are you suggesting you know better than the World Health Organization? Wow, is right.

These guidelines, through each country’s governing body, are the source of these actions. They require immediate action, as right now is crucial to the United States. It can either go the direction of Canada, or end up like Italy or Spain. But action is required NOW.

And, for the record, it’s not just Flight Attendants’ lives, but passengers as well.

Perhaps, some time in the future, new methods of cabin service can be devised allowing safety for both passengers and crew. But the US is running out of time.

He’s trolling. Ignore him. He’s knows his logic doesn’t stand up to any intellectual scrutiny.

catiii

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:44 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I just flew Southwest back from Hawaii to the east coast the other day. Three flights. We didn't even get water! When we got to Baltimore starving and thristy, the flight crew had the captain go get Maconalds for them, while the other seven passengers and I just watched.

How many points between Hawaii and Baltimore did you come across a open kiosk, vending machine? Because of this COVID issue SWA has halted the service of all drinks, snacks on their planes, not the crew. From my understanding, if you asked for some water, and they have it on the plane, they will give it to you..

For those who are flying during this time, thank you for your cooperation, thank you for your support, and I am sure you can understand why things are well out of the normal..

For those who are flying and complaining about lack of drinks and snacks, did you get to your destination safely?

If you’d really like to know. I flew KOA-SJC, with not even water. Got to SJC at 8pm and not a single food option was open in the airport aside from the newshop. Connected to SAN, on a flight with seven people. Nothing again. Got to a downtown hotel at 1:30am. Nothing open to buy any food, but at least there was a vending machine with Powerade. Got up early the next morning and flew SAN-DEN-BWI with 19 and 20 passengers respectively. (Did get a snack at the DEN airport) but then back on the plane to BWI. Arrived there at 9pm and we didnt get off the plane while we waited for it to continue to PWM in 40 mins with nine passengers. Flight crew said there was nothing open for food in the airport, anyway, other than a Macdonald’s in the other terminal they came back with food from. Didn’t feel like risking my next flight trying to get to MAc D’s. Arrived home at midnight, to, surprise, nothing being open other than gas stations. At least I got a good drink after two days traveling back from Hawaii with almost no food or drink.

Hell, they could have at least literally thrown me a can of water if they didn’t want to get close to us. (Ironiclaly, the flight attendant had no problem taking my GF ‘s air sick bag full oempty stomach and dehydration induced dry heaves when we deplaned in PWM)

Let me get this right: you flew KOA-SJC-SAN-DEN-BWI-PWM? Next time spend the extra few bucks for a direct routing.

ewt340

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 am

I mean, realistically speaking here. It's not really exclusive to the US as well. It's just that in flight service for 1-4 hours flights are getting redundant for many reason. Sure the pandemic is accelerating the process, but it's not like we don't see it coming anyway.

We got LCCs taking over majority of the market around the world and bankrupting mainlines here and there. We got cheap ticket prices that mainline have to sell just to break even on their operations and we want Pilots and FAs to get decent wages.

Flying is cheaper than what it's used to be, way way cheaper actually. But these cheap tickets doesn't come with free hot meals that I could get at the airport before my short flights.
The economy for on board beverages or foods are way off.

Only long-haul gonna have any food service in near future. It's just the way it is.

Unless we got electric plane or any breakthrough on the technology sector that could really push the operating costs down, I don't see any of these gonna get any better.

SEAflyer97

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 am

KLAM wrote:
DL717 wrote:
planecane wrote:
No. Not food contamination. Possibly the packaging for however long the virus lives on a paper or plastic bag but that's no different from buying something at the grocery store.

The FDA has specially said that there is no evidence of transmission by eating food.

If they are giving sealed bottles this prevents touching of cups. It also minimizes the interaction time between FA and PAX because there are no choices.

Airline meals are put together by humans, not a machine. Getting a meal on a plane is not the same as a TV dinner. There are tons of opportunities along the airline meal production chain for exposure. It’s not the same as the grocery store.

As for food contamination? How about someone sneezing on those nice red tomatoes you just touched? Did it get washed with soap before you touched them? How about that checkout counter you set them on? I guess you went from picking them up with a rubber glove, kept them sealed until you got home and immediately dropped them into a sink of soapy water to make sure it was sterile. Oops. Probably weren’t very careful with those rubber gloves that has the virus on it that’s now on your steering wheel in your car for then next time you drive over the next couple of weeks when you don’t wear gloves. Same with everything else you picked up at the grocery store right? Now go eat that salad in Business Class. Maybe it comes with Dawn salad dressing and water.

There is no evidence that COVID is transmitted through food. It could happen, but FDA states it is low risk.

The risk is not in the food. The virus could stay on the tray, glassware, silverware, napkin, etc. Also, to serve food you have to come in close contact with the passenger which is a high-risk activity.

planecane

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:21 pm

SEAflyer97 wrote:
KLAM wrote:
DL717 wrote:

The risk is not in the food. The virus could stay on the tray, glassware, silverware, napkin, etc. Also, to serve food you have to come in close contact with the passenger which is a high-risk activity.

If the passenger doesn't cough or sneeze on the FA, the short length of the interaction reduces the risk of transmission. The virus isn't so contagious that just being near somebody infected for a few seconds means you become infected. If it worked like that, the entire population would have been infected before anybody knew what the virus even was.

alfa164

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:44 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

These guidelines, through each country’s governing body, are the source of these actions. They require immediate action, as right now is crucial to the United States. It can either go the direction of Canada, or end up like Italy or Spain. But action is required NOW. And, for the record, it’s not just Flight Attendants’ lives, but passengers as well. Perhaps, some time in the future, new methods of cabin service can be devised allowing safety for both passengers and crew. But the US is running out of time.

I am afraid we are all just feeding a troll. But at least he should be happy to be fed, even if it is not by the airline crew...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:55 pm

catiii wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

Let me get this right: you flew KOA-SJC-SAN-DEN-BWI-PWM? Next time spend the extra few bucks for a direct routing.

I did. I flew Hawaiian, non-stop from BOS-HNL to get there. Then wanted to try SW Hawaii service on the return, where a California overnight is required to get to PWM. We were was suppose to layover in Vegas for three nights on the return, but things shut down in Vegas, plans changed and I just needed to get back to the Mainland first, and then home to East Coast. Original flight SAN-BWI got canceled due to the virus crap, So they had to route me SAN-DEN-BWI-PWM if I wanted to get back the next day. (I didn’t know the country was going to shutdown while I was on a two weeks vacation, with thousands of flights canceled)

MartijnNL

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:46 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
WN not serving any food or beverage is totally unacceptable in this situation. (...) For this reason, WN will not get any of my personal business going forward even after this pandemic.

You might be better off postponing your travel instead of complaining about temporary health safety measures.

This morning I was looking on flightradar24 to incoming flights at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. I counted five passengers aircraft, more than twenty times less as usual. Almost all airlines in Europe are grounded for 95 percent.

Do I complain about KLM not offering the same service as before? Of course not, I stay at home as most others do, watch upcoming flights get cancelled (two down, probably at least twelve more to follow in the coming weeks) and dream of better travel times to come.

As soon as flying is deemed safe again health wise I will book a couple of KLM tickets. I suggest you do the same at Southwest Airlines. It's not like the few other airlines in the United States offer a lot more at the moment.

MartijnNL

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:20 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Because in Europe and China there is less competition and passengers don’t mind paying for services. Unlike US passengers who seek out the cheapest fares.

Less competition in Europe? We have many, many more airlines to choose from than passengers in the United States have. When travelling from Northern Europe to Southern Europe or vice versa KLM is often one of the cheapest. And guess what? You don't have to pay extra for food and drinks on this airline, including alcohol. And did I already mention the complimentary hot meals on flights over two hours for every passenger? Lufthansa and Swiss offer similar service. When you ask for a German beer at the former, they don't give you a can, they give you a large glass bottle instead. One of my personal reasons to choose this airline for my travels within Europe.

Ziyulu

Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 am

I'm happy to hear that my friend just flew AA domestically and they are actually providing more food than before. Everyone received a snack box including cookies, pretzels, potato chips, and a bottle of water on a flight from DFW to MCO.

PhilMcCrackin

Wed May 27, 2020 1:52 am

DL717 wrote:
One reason: Minimize exposure from food contamination.

Don’t buy it? Keep going to those drive throughs that are still open and see how that shakes out for you.

Oh, please.

Drive throughs and food delivery services have been operating since the pandemic began and there's no evidence they're spreading illness.

CLJFlyer

Wed May 27, 2020 2:00 am

I am flying on AS from CMH to SEA on Saturday. Before the one stop in MSP was added, food options stated "food for purchase". Now with the stop in MSP added and the flight being 6+ hours, the food option states "Lunch, Snack".

Does anyone know what AS is doing?

Prost

Wed May 27, 2020 2:11 am

You’re asking on a Delta thread?

evank516

Wed May 27, 2020 2:24 am

Are we allowed to bring our own food on board?

DLASFlyer

Wed May 27, 2020 2:26 am

evank516 wrote:

Yes, they even recommend it at the gate.

evank516

Wed May 27, 2020 2:33 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Thanks. I haven't traveled since March so I'm a little rusty. What is the situation with concessions in the airports?

WNCrew

Wed May 27, 2020 2:37 am

evank516 wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Thanks. I haven't traveled since March so I'm a little rusty. What is the situation with concessions in the airports?

It depends on the airport and time of day honestly, but I can say I've seen about a 50% increase in vendor availability in the last month. You'll have food available unless it's 0500 or after 2000 (roughly).
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ASFlyer

Wed May 27, 2020 2:41 am

CLJFlyer wrote:
I am flying on AS from CMH to SEA on Saturday. Before the one stop in MSP was added, food options stated "food for purchase". Now with the stop in MSP added and the flight being 6+ hours, the food option states "Lunch, Snack".

I don't know why it says "Lunch, Snack" - that's wrong. In First Class they're providing a snack box for each person and snack basket with various items to choose from. The only beverage available is water and/or a can of beer - one selection. In Coach it's a bottle of water and a bag of snack mix. I recommend bringing your own food.

crosscheckyyz

Wed May 27, 2020 2:59 am

Ziyulu wrote:
When I flew AA from DFW to AUS in 2016, not even a drink was provided. When I flew UA from AUS to IAH, only a cup of water was offered.

so what you're saying is, you cant go 35 minutes without having to have a drink provided?

DocLightning

Wed May 27, 2020 3:08 am

Spiderguy252 wrote:
It's as 'temporary' as the fuel surcharge introduced in 2007 to combat 'currently high fuel prices'.

I doubt it. I think that once there is a vaccine or a clear indication that the wave of acute illness is dying down, we will see the return of meal service.

I will point out that airlines make money on food. "Complimentary" meals that are served in premium classes are hardly complimentary, but rather part of the ticket price, and those meals are a major marketing factor. SQ didn't come up with the "Book the Cook" program just out of the goodness of their hearts. No, they (and other carriers that followed) provide meal service as a powerful marketing tool. As others have said, if they are taking the meals away, why buy domestic F? I can purchase an extra baggage allowance and priority boarding/security (or in my case I have TSA pre-check and Clear) and priority baggage handling and that won't add up to the additional cost of the F ticket. Being wined and dined is part of that experience.

In Y class BOB offerings are also a revenue source. Do you honestly believe that it costs an airline US$9 to procure a sandwich, board it, and fly it? LOL no. It probably costs them US$3-4 and the rest is all profit.

Just like do you remember when airlines were stripping every ounce out of the airplane during the fuel crises? What's the one thing that stayed? The inflight magazine. That's probably 50-100kg of paper on an airplane, depending on seat count, and yet they left it there. Why? Because that magazine is a massive revenue generator for them, between advertising and Skymall type stuff.

Airlines will do what makes them money, and taking away food forever isn't going to be that thing. But for right now, airlines don't want to risk getting their passengers and crew sick. Let's forget for the moment that airline executives are people and actually don't want their passengers dying, even if they were just cold-hearted beancounters, the liability cost and PR cost of having an outbreak on your airline because you didn't take every precaution possible is just too much to conscion.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

USAirALB

Wed May 27, 2020 3:12 am

Is DL providing drinks "on request"? That's what AA was supposed to be doing. Yet on my flights recently I was refused a glass of water, even though I have a medical condition that causes me to have an extremely dry mouth. I couldn't buy water at the airport either because the shops were closed.

The irony is that despite refusing to give me a cup of water for "health reasons", they had no trouble doing the song and dance of walking through the aisle handing out credit card applications to get that $50 commission or whatever it is....the applications must be printed on virus-proof paper.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

ramprat320

Wed May 27, 2020 3:24 am

IATA bulletin regarding on-board service during COVID 5.8.1 is a good read. Airlines are following this guidance it seems.

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/df21 ... ndemic.pdf

seat1a

Wed May 27, 2020 3:35 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:

LOL! Good story. I'm waiting for Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis to show up from 'The Out of Towners'.

USAirALB

Wed May 27, 2020 3:47 am

ASFlyer wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

I don't know why it says "Lunch, Snack" - that's wrong. In First Class they're providing a snack box for each person and snack basket with various items to choose from. The only beverage available is water and/or a can of beer - one selection. In Coach it's a bottle of water and a bag of snack mix. I recommend bringing your own food.

I don't think this is a COVID thing but rather a glitch in Alaska's reservation system. Sometimes I will be looking for AS flights on third party booking sites and it will display Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner in the meals column in Y, even though AS hasn't provided meals in Y in years. Ditto for DL. Last year my CLT-SLC flight displayed "Breakfast" was served in Y, even though it was a BOB flight.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

Prinair

Wed May 27, 2020 3:50 am

COVID-19 is a very convenient excuse. Having worked 30+ years in the airline industry, it would be foolish to believe otherwise.
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

744SPX

Wed May 27, 2020 3:53 am

Shame on you Delta. I want my Biskoff, dammit. You have relegated yourself to a glorified LCC.

WNCrew

Wed May 27, 2020 4:16 am

Prinair wrote:
COVID-19 is a very convenient excuse. Having worked 30+ years in the airline industry, it would be foolish to believe otherwise.

I realize it'a a terrible inconvenience to not receive some form of service onboard. I know that a soda and a snack represent more than what they are. But please understand that Cabin Crew were flying around the country before PPE were available to them (including cabin cleaning) and were still serving. Most PPE were being diverted to hospitals. Now we are all well-stocked and A4A has most carriers on the same page.

Will airlines save money here? Yes.... at the actual "expense" of Customer experience?... no. You can bring your own snack and drink as you always could. I mean, even when airlines had meals they were complained about. Airlines can't win... it's our society. We are "victims".
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

d8s

Wed May 27, 2020 4:23 am

CLJFlyer wrote:

AS gives out water bottles or cans of beer (no soda) and a snack box and basket of snacks in F. From what I’ve heard is only water in Y class.

Prinair

Wed May 27, 2020 4:32 am

WNCrew wrote:
Prinair wrote:

I realize it'a a terrible inconvenience to not receive some form of service onboard. I know that a soda and a snack represent more than what they are. But please understand that Cabin Crew were flying around the country before PPE were available to them (including cabin cleaning) and were still serving. Most PPE were being diverted to hospitals. Now we are all well-stocked and A4A has most carriers on the same page.

Will airlines save money here? Yes.... at the actual "expense" of Customer experience?... no. You can bring your own snack and drink as you always could. I mean, even when airlines had meals they were complained about. Airlines can't win... it's our society. We are "victims".

Funny how the airlines will save money yet they will not reflect it in their fares. The airlines have historically taken advantage of any situation or national emergency proclaiming that these types of cutbacks are temporary. They are not. It is understood that the airlines, like any other business, must do anything possible to attain profits. That is understandable, but it is the hypocrisy of it all what hurts their credibility.
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

TARTRESED

Wed May 27, 2020 5:02 am

I have no problem with this as I only drink water. What I hope goes away forever are those damn peanuts. Though I really love peanuts, the stench they make from a mouth breather (most people these days) is horrid.

ryanov

Wed May 27, 2020 5:09 am

Folks are really being dreadful on here.

I really doubt airlines are making money right now blocking 40% of the seats on every flight (many of which I'm sure don't even get that high).

I personally do not want any contact with crews at the moment. For their safety and for mine, there's just no reason for it in order to get a snack. I think the on board experience is important, but right now, a can of soda is not worth putting someone in the hospital.

To the whiners: do you live somewhere where this has been no big deal, or not know a single person who works in healthcare? If so, great, but that's not what's going on everywhere.

DLASFlyer

Wed May 27, 2020 5:32 am

744SPX wrote:
Shame on you Delta. I want my Biskoff, dammit. You have relegated yourself to a glorified LCC.

The new service literally everyone gets Biscoff.

F9Animal

Wed May 27, 2020 7:00 am

All I know is.... If I plan on going anywhere by plane, I am not expecting anything food or beverage related. Nor do I have a problem with it. If I have to travel long distances, I will plan accordingly.
I Am A Different Animal!!

VSMUT

Wed May 27, 2020 10:05 am

Prinair wrote:
WNCrew wrote:
Prinair wrote:

Funny how the airlines will save money yet they will not reflect it in their fares. The airlines have historically taken advantage of any situation or national emergency proclaiming that these types of cutbacks are temporary. They are not. It is understood that the airlines, like any other business, must do anything possible to attain profits. That is understandable, but it is the hypocrisy of it all what hurts their credibility.

That's the biggest gripe I have with it. They will happily charge full prices for a cut back barebones service. I don't mind that they remove everything for the sake of protecting their crew, but then they should reflect that in the form of reduced fares or compensations. There was a trip review on another site of someone who flew British Airways in business class from London to Sydney. BA happily charged full price for a few wraps and frozen pizzas served with a bottle of water and juice. The few passengers who are still flying are the ones they should be doing as much as possible to pander to, not the other way round.

https://travelupdate.com/british-airway ... rld-covid/

Prinair wrote:

Exactly. From same review:

I also noticed that the onboard inflight entertainment had been dramatically reduced. I only counted about 20 films in total across all the categories. A few were returning titles I had also seen in January.

How does that have anything to do with hygiene?!?

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Long-term, I expect pre-packaged meals only, along with a heating device (I'm talking like an MRE heating device, activated by water)

I seem to recall from my dangerous goods training that the chemical heaters in an MRE count as a dangerous good, so that definitely won't be happening.

But it's pointless anyway. Heating food in the aircraft ovens will kill off any virus. Serving a tray of warm food does not bring the crew any more in contact with passengers than serving a snack box.

planecane

Wed May 27, 2020 10:33 am

WN gave a can of water with a sealed straw and a snack mix this past weekend. It was much appreciated, especially the water.

jayunited

Wed May 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Prinair wrote:

I completely disagree with you on your assessment. Airlines are not saving any money in fact quite the opposite, airlines are now providing every passengers who requests a face mask, they are providing each passenger individual hand sanitizer, airlines are spending huge sums of money on deep cleaning every airplane every night, deep cleaning the terminals themselves, spending money on contactless check-in kiosk at the airport, and lastly Delta is the first airline that has deployed electrostatic sprayers. All Delta and Delta connection departures are fogged before each and every departure. United will have enough sprayers to fog every single flight prior to departure by early June bur for now United has sprayers at the hubs and some line stations. Each one of those sprayers cost over $5,000 dollar a piece, and every airport Delta service (soon United) has to have multiple machines. Also lets not forget in June Delta is reactivating an additional 100 airplanes which means Delta will be spending more money on all of these products as more passengers take to the skies.

You think airlines are saving money because you not getting a meal onboard nothing could be further from the truth. The meals will come back but there is also a lot of work to be done in the flight kitchens to make sure those kitchens are safe and employees preparing those meals are safe and observing social distance until a therapeutic or vaccine is available. A flight kitchen is not the same as a Dominos Pizza where no one touches the food once it comes out of the over. After the food is cooked in a flight kitchen it still has to be handled by cooks, it is then handled again by Flight Attendants before it every reaches your mouth. The hot meals that passengers have become accustom too will come back, but right now airlines have other priorities and in the interim there are options like prepacked food that reduces the number of people coming into contact with your food before it reaches your mouth.

Ziyulu

Wed May 27, 2020 1:07 pm

When I flew UA to Hawaii, only a bag of pretzels was served. And this was prior to the pandemic last year.

Jetport

Wed May 27, 2020 2:49 pm

jayunited wrote:
Prinair wrote:

I completely disagree with you on your assessment. Airlines are not saving any money in fact quite the opposite, airlines are now providing every passengers who requests a face mask, they are providing each passenger individual hand sanitizer, airlines are spending huge sums of money on deep cleaning every airplane every night, deep cleaning the terminals themselves, spending money on contactless check-in kiosk at the airport, and lastly Delta is the first airline that has deployed electrostatic sprayers. All Delta and Delta connection departures are fogged before each and every departure. United will have enough sprayers to fog every single flight prior to departure by early June bur for now United has sprayers at the hubs and some line stations. Each one of those sprayers cost over $5,000 dollar a piece, and every airport Delta service (soon United) has to have multiple machines. Also lets not forget in June Delta is reactivating an additional 100 airplanes which means Delta will be spending more money on all of these products as more passengers take to the skies.

You think airlines are saving money because you not getting a meal onboard nothing could be further from the truth. The meals will come back but there is also a lot of work to be done in the flight kitchens to make sure those kitchens are safe and employees preparing those meals are safe and observing social distance until a therapeutic or vaccine is available. A flight kitchen is not the same as a Dominos Pizza where no one touches the food once it comes out of the over. After the food is cooked in a flight kitchen it still has to be handled by cooks, it is then handled again by Flight Attendants before it every reaches your mouth. The hot meals that passengers have become accustom too will come back, but right now airlines have other priorities and in the interim there are options like prepacked food that reduces the number of people coming into contact with your food before it reaches your mouth.

All those steps airlines are taking are interesting, but other than masks they are basically Kabuki theater, kind of like TSA after 9/11. Based on best available science/data 95% of Covid transmission has been airborne and 5% by skin contact to eyes, nose, mouth. I am not aware of any documented, or even suspected Covid transmission via food. Airlines and society should be focusing on the real problem, airborne spread. Don't waste time and resourced on surfaces, and especially food.

frmrCapCadet

Wed May 27, 2020 3:03 pm

If I were to fly now I would want me and everyone around me to be wearing an N95 (or equivalent) mask, and not take them off for the duration. Eating and drinking are just occasions to spread germs and viruses. Other people may find that an unreasonable expectation on my part. So I simply will avoid flying. I am considered, by CDC standards one of those vulnerable for a couple reasons. I started social isolating perhaps by the end of February. Wife and I have added a few contacts this last 2 weeks, but even there keep our distance.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

OA412

Wed May 27, 2020 3:41 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I doubt it. I think that once there is a vaccine or a clear indication that the wave of acute illness is dying down, we will see the return of meal service.

I will point out that airlines make money on food. "Complimentary" meals that are served in premium classes are hardly complimentary, but rather part of the ticket price, and those meals are a major marketing factor. SQ didn't come up with the "Book the Cook" program just out of the goodness of their hearts. No, they (and other carriers that followed) provide meal service as a powerful marketing tool. As others have said, if they are taking the meals away, why buy domestic F? I can purchase an extra baggage allowance and priority boarding/security (or in my case I have TSA pre-check and Clear) and priority baggage handling and that won't add up to the additional cost of the F ticket. Being wined and dined is part of that experience.

In Y class BOB offerings are also a revenue source. Do you honestly believe that it costs an airline US$9 to procure a sandwich, board it, and fly it? LOL no. It probably costs them US$3-4 and the rest is all profit.

Agreed. In spite of all the other nickel and diming the US airlines have undertaken, they've so far resisted going the full BOB route, like so many of the Euro legacies. I really do think this is a temporary solution given the circumstances, and that once they can, airlines will return to previous onboard service levels. BOB is definitely a revenue maker. There's no way the turkey sandwich and chips I purchased from LGA-DEN actually cost DL $11. At least half of that was revenue to the airline.

USAirALB wrote:
The irony is that despite refusing to give me a cup of water for "health reasons", they had no trouble doing the song and dance of walking through the aisle handing out credit card applications to get that $50 commission or whatever it is....the applications must be printed on virus-proof paper.

I know you're being facetious, but there may actually be some truth to that. I was just reading a study out of Hong Kong that found the virus was only detectable on paper for up to 30 minutes. That said, there's no excuse for not offering you some water, particularly if you have a medical condition and shops were closed prior to boarding.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos