Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Prost

Re: The new domestic service standard: just water. DL now onboard.

Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:41 pm

I hope those who are lamenting the service reductions understand the airlines are trying to reduce risk. Risk for the crews, risk for the customers. I’m sure Delta would be willing to give up all the stars in the constellation to save the lives of their customers and employees.

eamondzhang

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:01 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Can you imagine 5 star airlines doing this? Like SQ, NH, or JL? I don't think so. If I were SkyTrax, any airline that cuts back on food or drink offerings during this time should automatically lose one star.

I can tell you right away that JL and NH are both doing this right now, at least short haul (incl. domestic). To limit the exposures of crew and passengers and the potential of spreading the disease as per the WHO guidelines.

Can almost guarantee you that you are the only one who cares about star or not right now. No one else, including airlines, care about this.

It doesn't really matter, I know, as you never seem to care.

Michael

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:29 am

SXDFC wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I just flew Southwest back from Hawaii to the east coast the other day. Three flights. We didn't even get water! When we got to Baltimore starving and thristy, the flight crew had the captain go get Maconalds for them, while the other seven passengers and I just watched.

How many points between Hawaii and Baltimore did you come across a open kiosk, vending machine? Because of this COVID issue SWA has halted the service of all drinks, snacks on their planes, not the crew. From my understanding, if you asked for some water, and they have it on the plane, they will give it to you..

For those who are flying during this time, thank you for your cooperation, thank you for your support, and I am sure you can understand why things are well out of the normal..

For those who are flying and complaining about lack of drinks and snacks, did you get to your destination safely?

If you’d really like to know. I flew KOA-SJC, with not even water. Got to SJC at 8pm and not a single food option was open in the airport aside from the newshop. Connected to SAN, on a flight with seven people. Nothing again. Got to a downtown hotel at 1:30am. Nothing open to buy any food, but at least there was a vending machine with Powerade. Got up early the next morning and flew SAN-DEN-BWI with 19 and 20 passengers respectively. (Did get a snack at the DEN airport) but then back on the plane to BWI. Arrived there at 9pm and we didnt get off the plane while we waited for it to continue to PWM in 40 mins with nine passengers. Flight crew said there was nothing open for food in the airport, anyway, other than a Macdonald’s in the other terminal they came back with food from. Didn’t feel like risking my next flight trying to get to MAc D’s. Arrived home at midnight, to, surprise, nothing being open other than gas stations. At least I got a good drink after two days traveling back from Hawaii with almost no food or drink.

Hell, they could have at least literally thrown me a can of water if they didn’t want to get close to us. (Ironiclaly, the flight attendant had no problem taking my GF ‘s air sick bag full oempty stomach and dehydration induced dry heaves when we deplaned in PWM)
Last edited by pwm2txlhopper on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ziyulu

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:40 am

CrewBunk wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:
Can you imagine 5 star airlines doing this? Like SQ, NH, or JL? I don't think so. If I were SkyTrax, any airline that cuts back on food or drink offerings during this time should automatically lose one star.

You’re really not reading what is on this thread, are you?

If SQ, NH and JL, are not respecting these WHO guidelines, then they are displaying very little regard for the safety of their Flight Attendants and their passengers. I find it odd that you feel “maintaining a skytrax star” is more important than the lives of those involved.

It is also disturbing that the Flight Attendants may not even have the luxury of avoiding a dangerous situation, depending on the labour laws of where they live.

As far as ignoring the problem goes. Think about the forecast 100,000 COVID-19 deaths in the United States, in the name of turning a back on statistics in order to preserve the economy. Don’t forget, things will be better by Easter, right?

You don't have to have contact to provide these items. Like one mentioned, put them in the gate area. Or have a self service area where you grab drinks and snacks.

Ziyulu

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:43 am

Japan Airlines website mentions for domestic flights:

Domestic Flights
First Class
We will temporarily provide packaged wet paper towels.

Class J and Economy Class
We will temporarily stop the blanket and pillow service.
We will temporarily serve cartoned tea for the drink service. Apple juice are prepared for children.

Ziyulu

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:50 am

So based on others, any airline that is serving food right now is risking flight attendants lives, right? Just wow!

aemoreira1981

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:14 am

Long-term, I expect pre-packaged meals only, along with a heating device (I'm talking like an MRE heating device, activated by water), with fewer handling required by cabin crew, and nothing that has to be opened by the flight attendant. I also wonder if there may be a snack machine on board as part of a BOB program for Y on both narrow- and wide-body planes to that end. The idea is: nothing to be opened by cabin crew.

CrewBunk

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:46 am

Ziyulu wrote:
So based on others, any airline that is serving food right now is risking flight attendants lives, right? Just wow!

Are you suggesting you know better than the World Health Organization? Wow, is right.

These guidelines, through each country’s governing body, are the source of these actions. They require immediate action, as right now is crucial to the United States. It can either go the direction of Canada, or end up like Italy or Spain. But action is required NOW.

And, for the record, it’s not just Flight Attendants’ lives, but passengers as well.

Perhaps, some time in the future, new methods of cabin service can be devised allowing safety for both passengers and crew. But the US is running out of time.

KLAM

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 am

DL717 wrote:
planecane wrote:
DL717 wrote:
One reason: Minimize exposure from food contamination.

Don’t buy it? Keep going to those drive throughs that are still open and see how that shakes out for you.

No. Not food contamination. Possibly the packaging for however long the virus lives on a paper or plastic bag but that's no different from buying something at the grocery store.

The FDA has specially said that there is no evidence of transmission by eating food.

If they are giving sealed bottles this prevents touching of cups. It also minimizes the interaction time between FA and PAX because there are no choices.

Airline meals are put together by humans, not a machine. Getting a meal on a plane is not the same as a TV dinner. There are tons of opportunities along the airline meal production chain for exposure. It’s not the same as the grocery store.

As for food contamination? How about someone sneezing on those nice red tomatoes you just touched? Did it get washed with soap before you touched them? How about that checkout counter you set them on? I guess you went from picking them up with a rubber glove, kept them sealed until you got home and immediately dropped them into a sink of soapy water to make sure it was sterile. Oops. Probably weren’t very careful with those rubber gloves that has the virus on it that’s now on your steering wheel in your car for then next time you drive over the next couple of weeks when you don’t wear gloves. Same with everything else you picked up at the grocery store right? Now go eat that salad in Business Class. Maybe it comes with Dawn salad dressing and water.

There is no evidence that COVID is transmitted through food. It could happen, but FDA states it is low risk.

https://www.fda.gov/food/food-safety-du ... 9-covid-19
flyOM

WayexTDI

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:58 am

Ziyulu wrote:

If you stop your judgement to what SkyTrax says, then that's OK: it's well know that SkyTrax is a joke. So, if they decide to downgrade an airline just because they follow the WHO recommendations, then that means that airline is doing something right.

catiii

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:41 am

CrewBunk wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

Are you suggesting you know better than the World Health Organization? Wow, is right.

These guidelines, through each country’s governing body, are the source of these actions. They require immediate action, as right now is crucial to the United States. It can either go the direction of Canada, or end up like Italy or Spain. But action is required NOW.

And, for the record, it’s not just Flight Attendants’ lives, but passengers as well.

Perhaps, some time in the future, new methods of cabin service can be devised allowing safety for both passengers and crew. But the US is running out of time.

He’s trolling. Ignore him. He’s knows his logic doesn’t stand up to any intellectual scrutiny.

catiii

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:44 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
SXDFC wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
I just flew Southwest back from Hawaii to the east coast the other day. Three flights. We didn't even get water! When we got to Baltimore starving and thristy, the flight crew had the captain go get Maconalds for them, while the other seven passengers and I just watched.

How many points between Hawaii and Baltimore did you come across a open kiosk, vending machine? Because of this COVID issue SWA has halted the service of all drinks, snacks on their planes, not the crew. From my understanding, if you asked for some water, and they have it on the plane, they will give it to you..

For those who are flying during this time, thank you for your cooperation, thank you for your support, and I am sure you can understand why things are well out of the normal..

For those who are flying and complaining about lack of drinks and snacks, did you get to your destination safely?

If you’d really like to know. I flew KOA-SJC, with not even water. Got to SJC at 8pm and not a single food option was open in the airport aside from the newshop. Connected to SAN, on a flight with seven people. Nothing again. Got to a downtown hotel at 1:30am. Nothing open to buy any food, but at least there was a vending machine with Powerade. Got up early the next morning and flew SAN-DEN-BWI with 19 and 20 passengers respectively. (Did get a snack at the DEN airport) but then back on the plane to BWI. Arrived there at 9pm and we didnt get off the plane while we waited for it to continue to PWM in 40 mins with nine passengers. Flight crew said there was nothing open for food in the airport, anyway, other than a Macdonald’s in the other terminal they came back with food from. Didn’t feel like risking my next flight trying to get to MAc D’s. Arrived home at midnight, to, surprise, nothing being open other than gas stations. At least I got a good drink after two days traveling back from Hawaii with almost no food or drink.

Hell, they could have at least literally thrown me a can of water if they didn’t want to get close to us. (Ironiclaly, the flight attendant had no problem taking my GF ‘s air sick bag full oempty stomach and dehydration induced dry heaves when we deplaned in PWM)

Let me get this right: you flew KOA-SJC-SAN-DEN-BWI-PWM? Next time spend the extra few bucks for a direct routing.

ewt340

Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 am

I mean, realistically speaking here. It's not really exclusive to the US as well. It's just that in flight service for 1-4 hours flights are getting redundant for many reason. Sure the pandemic is accelerating the process, but it's not like we don't see it coming anyway.

We got LCCs taking over majority of the market around the world and bankrupting mainlines here and there. We got cheap ticket prices that mainline have to sell just to break even on their operations and we want Pilots and FAs to get decent wages.

Flying is cheaper than what it's used to be, way way cheaper actually. But these cheap tickets doesn't come with free hot meals that I could get at the airport before my short flights.
The economy for on board beverages or foods are way off.

Only long-haul gonna have any food service in near future. It's just the way it is.

Unless we got electric plane or any breakthrough on the technology sector that could really push the operating costs down, I don't see any of these gonna get any better.

SEAflyer97

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:09 am

KLAM wrote:
DL717 wrote:
planecane wrote:
No. Not food contamination. Possibly the packaging for however long the virus lives on a paper or plastic bag but that's no different from buying something at the grocery store.

The FDA has specially said that there is no evidence of transmission by eating food.

If they are giving sealed bottles this prevents touching of cups. It also minimizes the interaction time between FA and PAX because there are no choices.

Airline meals are put together by humans, not a machine. Getting a meal on a plane is not the same as a TV dinner. There are tons of opportunities along the airline meal production chain for exposure. It’s not the same as the grocery store.

As for food contamination? How about someone sneezing on those nice red tomatoes you just touched? Did it get washed with soap before you touched them? How about that checkout counter you set them on? I guess you went from picking them up with a rubber glove, kept them sealed until you got home and immediately dropped them into a sink of soapy water to make sure it was sterile. Oops. Probably weren’t very careful with those rubber gloves that has the virus on it that’s now on your steering wheel in your car for then next time you drive over the next couple of weeks when you don’t wear gloves. Same with everything else you picked up at the grocery store right? Now go eat that salad in Business Class. Maybe it comes with Dawn salad dressing and water.

There is no evidence that COVID is transmitted through food. It could happen, but FDA states it is low risk.

The risk is not in the food. The virus could stay on the tray, glassware, silverware, napkin, etc. Also, to serve food you have to come in close contact with the passenger which is a high-risk activity.

planecane

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:21 pm

SEAflyer97 wrote:
KLAM wrote:
DL717 wrote:

The risk is not in the food. The virus could stay on the tray, glassware, silverware, napkin, etc. Also, to serve food you have to come in close contact with the passenger which is a high-risk activity.

If the passenger doesn't cough or sneeze on the FA, the short length of the interaction reduces the risk of transmission. The virus isn't so contagious that just being near somebody infected for a few seconds means you become infected. If it worked like that, the entire population would have been infected before anybody knew what the virus even was.

alfa164

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:44 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Ziyulu wrote:

These guidelines, through each country’s governing body, are the source of these actions. They require immediate action, as right now is crucial to the United States. It can either go the direction of Canada, or end up like Italy or Spain. But action is required NOW. And, for the record, it’s not just Flight Attendants’ lives, but passengers as well. Perhaps, some time in the future, new methods of cabin service can be devised allowing safety for both passengers and crew. But the US is running out of time.

I am afraid we are all just feeding a troll. But at least he should be happy to be fed, even if it is not by the airline crew...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:55 pm

catiii wrote:
pwm2txlhopper wrote:
SXDFC wrote:

Let me get this right: you flew KOA-SJC-SAN-DEN-BWI-PWM? Next time spend the extra few bucks for a direct routing.

I did. I flew Hawaiian, non-stop from BOS-HNL to get there. Then wanted to try SW Hawaii service on the return, where a California overnight is required to get to PWM. We were was suppose to layover in Vegas for three nights on the return, but things shut down in Vegas, plans changed and I just needed to get back to the Mainland first, and then home to East Coast. Original flight SAN-BWI got canceled due to the virus crap, So they had to route me SAN-DEN-BWI-PWM if I wanted to get back the next day. (I didn’t know the country was going to shutdown while I was on a two weeks vacation, with thousands of flights canceled)

MartijnNL

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:46 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
WN not serving any food or beverage is totally unacceptable in this situation. (...) For this reason, WN will not get any of my personal business going forward even after this pandemic.

You might be better off postponing your travel instead of complaining about temporary health safety measures.

This morning I was looking on flightradar24 to incoming flights at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. I counted five passengers aircraft, more than twenty times less as usual. Almost all airlines in Europe are grounded for 95 percent.

Do I complain about KLM not offering the same service as before? Of course not, I stay at home as most others do, watch upcoming flights get cancelled (two down, probably at least twelve more to follow in the coming weeks) and dream of better travel times to come.

As soon as flying is deemed safe again health wise I will book a couple of KLM tickets. I suggest you do the same at Southwest Airlines. It's not like the few other airlines in the United States offer a lot more at the moment.

MartijnNL

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:20 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Because in Europe and China there is less competition and passengers don’t mind paying for services. Unlike US passengers who seek out the cheapest fares.

Less competition in Europe? We have many, many more airlines to choose from than passengers in the United States have. When travelling from Northern Europe to Southern Europe or vice versa KLM is often one of the cheapest. And guess what? You don't have to pay extra for food and drinks on this airline, including alcohol. And did I already mention the complimentary hot meals on flights over two hours for every passenger? Lufthansa and Swiss offer similar service. When you ask for a German beer at the former, they don't give you a can, they give you a large glass bottle instead. One of my personal reasons to choose this airline for my travels within Europe.