SueD

Re: Paris Orly Airport / ORY to close starting March 28th

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:13 am

nicode wrote:
Is this the first airport worldwide to close its civilian operation due to Covid-19 ?

London City also closing

eastafspot

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:15 am

It makes sense.
One can only dream that (AF) Dom Tom flights remain at CDG for good.
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

RJWNL

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:22 am

PANAMsterdam wrote:
BA Airbus A380 flying as BAW57D currently on her way to... storage? She hasn't flown for 5 days. Anyone having an idea where she is going? Spain?

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW57D/24467c78

Maybe a special repatriation flight, (possibly JNB which is normally BA57?).
Last edited by RJWNL on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

CometOrbit

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - March 2020 - Part II

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:32 am

RJWNL wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:
BA Airbus A380 flying as BAW57D currently on her way to... storage? She hasn't flown for 5 days. Anyone having an idea where she is going? Spain?

It's being closely followed by the regular BA41 heading for Durban.

fcogafa

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:33 am

LCY is available to medical type flights. An RAF C130 visited a couple of times this week, maybe the biggest aircraft that has been there

bennett123

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am

The new Nightingale Hospital is on a stones throw from LCY.

Toinou

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:51 am

eastafspot wrote:
It makes sense.

Having them at ORY makes sense as they are domestic flights. And I guess that the vast majority of transfer to those flights must be to other parts of France, which adds another reason to have them in ORY (CDG would just have the benefit of allowing TGV connections which could become more important in the future).

PANAMsterdam

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:00 am

RJWNL wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:

Could very well be the case! But why doesn't FR24 give JNB as destination? Even Lufthansa 9XXX flights were labeled FRA - XXX to their destination.

She's definitely not going to Spain as i thought earlier. Currently over Algeria and flying south east.

Edit: Also super cool to see: QF1 currently flying over Poland! First ever flight from Darwin to LHR?
Air France is French AF

Newfoundland84

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:
B747forever wrote:

The past 10 days I have flown following (load is including me)

AS LAX-GEG with 12 pax. Gate next to my flight was an AS IAD-LAX arrival with just 9 pax onboard.
AS MSO-LAX with 5 pax (all of us upgraded to First!)
WN LAX-MDW with 59 pax (not too bad!).
UA MSN-LAX with 7 pax.
UA LAX-SCK with 2 pax
UA SCK-LAX with 2 pax

Later tonight I am flying LAX-FLL with B6. Will report back on the load, but looks very empty, just a 5-6 seats taken. Booked the flight for $17.40 this morning. I will then the day after fly FLL-BUF-LAX and those flights look also empty.

I have never seen LAX this empty, and generally speaking car traffic in LA is now nonexistent. Even the 405 around 4:30pm is empty, which is surreal.

B747forever. Why are you flying? If for business then your company is behaving quite irresponsibly. If its on your own back then you should take a long look in the mirror.

Here in Europe we are in total lockdown and a tiny % of flights are operating for repatriation only. People are being responsible and staying home. I hope you decide too to.

Sandyb123

Because he can do whatever the hell he wants. And you can do whatever the hell you want. Trying to shame someone for living their lives because they have a different outlook than you is pathetic.

You can certainly do whatever you like. Just don’t be all whiny and hurt when someone points out how selfish it is

CrawleyBen

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:50 am

Cornwall Airport Newquay (UK) is closing on a temporary basis due to COVID-19 situation.

Airport will only remain open to the Air Ambulance, Coastguard and Military.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... ue-3985436

Ben

AirbusOnly

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:11 am

Interesting Lufthansa repatriation-flight now from HND to AKL to pickup stranded Germans in Japan and NewZealand:

https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH9902/244672a6
Last edited by AirbusOnly on Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Waterbomber2

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 am

Airlines will receive nearly $60 billion in financial assistance as part of the Senate’s rescue package, meeting their request as the industry falls into a tailspin due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The bill grants $25 billion in loans and loan guarantees for passenger airlines, and an additional $4 billion for cargo air carriers.

Additionally, the bill gives airlines $25 billion in grants to pay workers through September. Cargo air carriers get an additional $4 billion.

A separate $17 billion in loans is specified for companies “critical to maintaining national security.” Boeing is reported to be the intended recipient for a large portion of the amount.

The loans are conditional on job protection – airlines accepting aid will not be allowed to lay off or furlough workers until September 30, at which point the crisis could be over or winding down for air carriers.

Airlines receiving aid will also be prohibited from buying back shares of their own stock for a year after the loan is fully paid off and bars them from issuing dividends to shareholders while receiving aid. This provision can be waived by the Treasury Secretary if deemed “necessary to protect the interests of the Federal Government,” though the secretary would be required to testify before the House and Senate in such a case.

This package is huge, fair, but restrictive and quite limited.
Does it include Part 135? How about Part 91? Those are huge industries too and could be qualified as passenger airlines too, accounting for about 4 milllion flight hours per year and several billions in payroll per annum (between ground staff, office staff, air crews and maintenance).

If we look at the US3, SWA and the smaller one like F9, B6, their combined payroll alone is about 15 billion USD per quarter.
Add "contracted services", regional airlines, etc... and you're already looking at close to 20 billion USD per quarter.
If we include Part 135 and Part 91, the 25 billion USD grant for staff expenses covers only a quarter's worth for a package that's supposed to last airlines 2 quarters until September 30th.

So overall, it's a fair package where airlines will be required to lift quite a bit of weight by themselves.

However, some airlines may decide to pass on the grant and furlough staff or reduce pay in line with reduced productivity.
I also hope that the grant is conditional on maintaining a full payroll and not just the no-furloughs clause, regardless of productivity.

I also hope that US airlines now stop flying.
It's foolish and the environmental footprint is also totally unacceptable.

PS got my voucher from Air France KLM for future travel for my cancelled trip to SFO today.
AF-KLM get to keep the revenue, I don't lose my money, win-win.

mxaxai

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:54 am

Wing production in Bremen, Filton and Broughton is being slowed down for the next three weeks. https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... nment.html

Other than that, Airbus is keeping production running, albeit at a slightly reduced rate.

As mentioned in the news thread, Russia is suspending all international flights. AFAIK domestic flights can still be operated. https://www.rferl.org/a/covid-19-russia ... 10223.html
The impact of this decision should be low, though, since almost all other major destinations that are served from Russia are already closed to travellers.

mxaxai

Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:19 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
Edit: Also super cool to see: QF1 currently flying over Poland! First ever flight from Darwin to LHR?

Is QF2 going straight from LHR to SYD? Or Darwin as well? FR24 says she's headed for Singapore but the flight path doesn't look like that. https://www.flightradar24.com/QFA2/2445f12c

Kilopond

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:08 pm

mxaxai wrote:
[...]Is QF2 going straight from LHR to SYD? Or Darwin as well? FR24 says she's headed for Singapore but [...]

... flightaware.com says she is on her way straight to Darwin. And the airport expects QF2 to arrive there at 23:31.

https://www.darwinairport.com.au/arrivals

SwissCanuck

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:46 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:

B747forever. Why are you flying? If for business then your company is behaving quite irresponsibly. If its on your own back then you should take a long look in the mirror.

Here in Europe we are in total lockdown and a tiny % of flights are operating for repatriation only. People are being responsible and staying home. I hope you decide too to.

Sandyb123

Because he can do whatever the hell he wants. And you can do whatever the hell you want. Trying to shame someone for living their lives because they have a different outlook than you is pathetic.

LOL this is probably the most arrogant and selfish statement I’ve ever read in 13 years I’ve been on A.net. I watched the US government say that everything will be back to normal by Easter in the US. “Deny till you dye” territory. Good luck with that!

Sorry folks but you are clearly being sold a lie and ignoring the reality of what is happening is madness. Asia and Europe has been decimated by the reaction to Corona. America will, sadly, be no different. It is indiscriminate and doesn’t care about stock markets or politics.

B747Forever is hiding behind anonymity so I’m guessing he’s probably an air marshall or similar. I understand flying is like an essential service in the US but I really feel sorry for all those crew who are being forced to fly or else!

Sandyb123

Agreed. And no he's no air marshal, he clearly stated he booked a flight for 20 bucks. Marshalls don't pay. He's probably mileage running. But there's no justifiable reason to be flying around the country like that right now. Even the technicians keeping national TV running are doing so remotely, some for the first time (Source: my colleagues and friends). Things we'd never have dreamed of doing remotely before.

People are selfish, and will sit there and say things like, "I'm supporting them!" to justify it. You're supporting them by potentially infecting them??

My favourite was the "we can do what we want" comment. LOL. Go run a red light with a cop parked at the intersection and tell me how that thing you wanted to do worked out for you. No, you can't do what you want, it's NOT a 100% free country - there are limits for good reasons. And the biggest one that should be respected right now is stay home.

It will take close family members or friends getting deathly ill to wake some of these people up. A cost too high to pay IMHO.

flee

Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 pm

Airasia Group and Airasia X Group is "hibernating"...

With all the lockdowns and travel restrictions, they have no where to fly. So time to shut down and do some housekeeping, I guess!

See:
https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/tempo ... roup-fleet

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-LwjN4BNph/

A380MSN004

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

BVA also closed today

Thibault973

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:53 pm

eastafspot wrote:
It makes sense.

A few summers ago AF run a couple of weekly flights each from CDG to PTP, FDF and CAY to make worldwide connections available in a coordinated move with the 3 local governments to bring more international travelers to Guadeloupe, Martinique and Guyane. This was a big fail since about 90% of the passengers on these flights were originating from France. Flights were indeed full but with mostly domestic travelers. After only 1 season, these flights were reverted back to ORY (PTP and FDF are now up to 3 daily when CAY simply lost the extra capacity as it went from 7 + 3 343 to 7 77E).

CALMSP

Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 pm

Airports need to close to public flying for a few days. It is a factor of this spread.

Newark727

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Is anyone here familiar with fleet storage plans for the Mexican airlines? Flightaware is showing a very unexpected Interjet flight plan - Tuscon to Chino! Under ordinary circumstances I'd dismiss it as a glitch. Apologies if there's another thread for this, I couldn't find one.

gatibosgru

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:20 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
sandyb123 wrote:
B747forever wrote:

The past 10 days I have flown following (load is including me)

AS LAX-GEG with 12 pax. Gate next to my flight was an AS IAD-LAX arrival with just 9 pax onboard.
AS MSO-LAX with 5 pax (all of us upgraded to First!)
WN LAX-MDW with 59 pax (not too bad!).
UA MSN-LAX with 7 pax.
UA LAX-SCK with 2 pax
UA SCK-LAX with 2 pax

Later tonight I am flying LAX-FLL with B6. Will report back on the load, but looks very empty, just a 5-6 seats taken. Booked the flight for $17.40 this morning. I will then the day after fly FLL-BUF-LAX and those flights look also empty.

I have never seen LAX this empty, and generally speaking car traffic in LA is now nonexistent. Even the 405 around 4:30pm is empty, which is surreal.

Sandyb123

Spoken like a true gentleman
@DadCelo

cathay747

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:37 pm

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
I’ll start by stating that I absolutely respect anyone’s individual decision to take multiple flights across the USA at this time. Why? Because in a few weeks, and indeed perhaps a lot less than that, you WILL be grounded and it will no longer be an option that you decide on. Thankfully.

I’m completely dumbfounded that many people in the US are still so blinkered as to the severity of this situation. If you are continuing to fly domestically, you ARE putting your own life and the lives of others at needless risk. You may well be carrying the virus asymptomatically, you may never catch it, or, you may have it already and be none the wiser. Have you really not seen and taken heed of what has happened in Asia and Europe, and why airlines across the globe are grounding themselves?

Newsflash... you’re about to get a huge dose of reality, so adjust now because when then entire US is properly in lockdown (and it will have to happen) you’re wake-up call is going to be loud and clear. Nobody needs to be flying at this time, unless it’s to return to their home country/city. The virus spread is already past the point of control in the US, and NYC in particular is the red zone. Be wise and take notice, before it’s too late.

Airlines are not grounding their fleets because of a slight downturn, this IS now a global pandemic.

Amen. Well said.

And it's not simply that people are "blinkered" but rather it's the much wider societal problem we've had for years now in the U.S. of selfishness on steroids...a shocking number of people simply don't give a thought or a damn about anybody but themselves, because they've deemed themselves the most important person in the world. Just look at the idiots in Kentucky who threw a "Coronavirus Party" as a defiance/civil disobedience act against all the social distancing/stay-at-home warnings/orders, and then one of them was diagnosed with it afterward.

Now...having said all that, I do believe there are some people among those still flying who may absolutely need to for some truly critical reason which truly isn't any of our business. Fine. I just hope they're taking every imaginable precaution.
Last edited by cathay747 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try a Little VC-10derness

PANAMsterdam

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:46 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
Interesting Lufthansa repatriation-flight now from HND to AKL to pickup stranded Germans in Japan and NewZealand:

Not often you see a Lufthansa bird on her way to New Zealand! Is the reason they are sending a 744 in stead of a 748 the amount of seats in the plane?
Air France is French AF

Toinou

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:51 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
It makes sense.

A few summers ago AF run a couple of weekly flights each from CDG to PTP, FDF and CAY to make worldwide connections available in a coordinated move with the 3 local governments to bring more international travelers to Guadeloupe, Martinique and Guyane. This was a big fail since about 90% of the passengers on these flights were originating from France. Flights were indeed full but with mostly domestic travelers. After only 1 season, these flights were reverted back to ORY (PTP and FDF are now up to 3 daily when CAY simply lost the extra capacity as it went from 7 + 3 343 to 7 77E).

I'm not surprised. I come from western Switzerland, about 10 km from French border and even here, so close to France, I know very few people who have been to French oversea territories, even though many people travel to other parts of the Caribbean. Those really are domestic destinations.

cathay747

Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

Not often you see a Lufthansa bird on her way to New Zealand! Is the reason they are sending a 744 in stead of a 748 the amount of seats in the plane?

It is quite incredible the number of strange sectors we're seeing being flown by some airlines...LY to LIM and BOG; ET from JNB to SLC, etc.
Try a Little VC-10derness

PANAMsterdam

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:08 pm

Can we please be kind to one another? There are enough bad things going on right now.

Let's be friends, not enemies.

Here's a picture of a smiling plane!

And now back on-topic! :)
Air France is French AF

myki

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:10 pm

There are plenty of reasons for people to still travel. Off the top of my head I can think of the medical professionals, particularly those with years of experience needing to travel somewhere to perform a very unusual operation. Aircraft mechanics, so the aircraft can be fixed to fly people home.

But I believe we have all digressed and not very on-topic. Thanks for the healthy discussion, and let's all agree to disagree.

32andBelow

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

myki wrote:
There are plenty of reasons for people to still travel. Off the top of my head I can think of the medical professionals, particularly those with years of experience needing to travel somewhere to perform a very unusual operation. Aircraft mechanics, so the aircraft can be fixed to fly people home.

But I believe we have all digressed and not very on-topic. Thanks for the healthy discussion, and let's all agree to disagree.

I don’t think any of those people would fly like 10 legs in a week.

Aircellist

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:18 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
Can we please be kind to one another? There are enough bad things going on right now.

Let's be friends, not enemies.

Here's a picture of a smiling plane!

And now back on-topic! :)

Thanks, PANAMsterdam.
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

PITingres

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:28 pm

SwissCanuck wrote:
.... But there's no justifiable reason to be flying around the country like that right now. Even the technicians keeping national TV running are doing so remotely, some for the first time (Source: my colleagues and friends). Things we'd never have dreamed of doing remotely before.

Let's be careful of absolutist statements like this. Some things you simply can't fix remotely and the problem solver has to be where the problem is. It's maybe not nearly as common as we are used to, but it still does happen that critical things break and remote diagnosis or repair is not always possible. And it doesn't have to be physical breakage, many crucial computer systems are (or should be!) air-gapped away from the internet and are not accessable remotely.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

geoshina

Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 pm

Yesterday 3 Latam flights departed out of GRU to LAX. It must be related to the COVID-19 situation.

- LA1132 - GRU-LAX - B788 (CC-BBE)

- JJ9452 - GRU-LAX - B777 (PT-MUG)

- LA1006 - GRU-LAX - B788 (CC-BBF)

Miamiairport

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:05 pm

Not everything can be done remote. The airlines seem to be trying to practice the measures put on others, made much easier with 10%-20% load factors.

PA727

Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:46 pm

Miamiairport wrote:
Not everything can be done remote. The airlines seem to be trying to practice the measures put on others, made much easier with 10%-20% load factors.

Yes, and thanks for the measured response. Seems like there are overreactions on both sides. My job happens to be one considered essential, so each day, all day, I am in public and surrounded by MANY people who are out - of all ages, both by necessity and by choice. This is my job, and I accept it and the risks that come with it. I would guess those who complain about people being out would also be glad I'm out as well.

With that said, while the airlines are still flying and trying to gain whatever revenue they can, should I decide to fly on my day off, it is my concern. Where does one draw the line? I'm already out there, as are many others who are making the choice to fly. Most, if not all, geographically large countries are still maintaining some level of air travel within their borders, so I wouldn't be so quick to call this an "American" thing. When I am home, I live alone and am not a threat to others. When I am in public, both for work and by choice, I follow all CDC protocols as best as possible.

Late last week, I did fly, and it was by choice. Not only did I follow precautions, but I would submit my chances of either catching - or transmitting - the virus were far less than what I face on a daily basis. For about 95% of the time, I was easily able to maintain social distancing suggestions, given the lack of people traveling.

While this may sound like equivocating or justifying to some, the intention is to point out there is no black and white, even during these times. Absolutist views on both sides have gotten us into much of this trouble, yet we continue. How well has yelling at the side we disagree with worked? As long as planes are flying, there will be some segment of the population flying.

We are all in this thing together, and I choose to thank those who are willingly help keep whatever we can of society functioning, while urging all of those who are in high risk groups or otherwise choose to isolate to do so as well. There will always be uncaring people out there, in both their actions AND their words.

B747forever

Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Currently enroute to LAX from BUF on B6 491. We are just 6pax onboard the A320.

Here are the loads on my other flights

LAX-FLL B6 A321, 53pax
FLL-BUF B6 A320, 8pax

While waiting on my flight, I noted the following loads

ACY-FLL NK A320N, 1pax!
FLL-LGA NK A321, 19pax
Work Hard, Fly Right

Tankdiver

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:08 pm

geoshina wrote:
Yesterday 3 Latam flights departed out of GRU to LAX. It must be related to the COVID-19 situation.

- LA1132 - GRU-LAX - B788 (CC-BBE)

- JJ9452 - GRU-LAX - B777 (PT-MUG)

- LA1006 - GRU-LAX - B788 (CC-BBF)

cjg225

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:23 pm

I can't seem to see on the LH website if they have a current list of route cancellations. Does anyone know where that may be?
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

Miamiairport

Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:29 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Currently enroute to LAX from BUF on B6 491. We are just 6pax onboard the A320.

Here are the loads on my other flights

LAX-FLL B6 A321, 53pax
FLL-BUF B6 A320, 8pax

While waiting on my flight, I noted the following loads

ACY-FLL NK A320N, 1pax!
FLL-LGA NK A321, 19pax

:shakehead:

And that's FLL where you have Spring Breakers finally forced to leave.

As far as whether one should fly. We know who is at higher risk-older people and/or those with health issues. You as an adult should have the maturity to honestly access your risk level. and act accordingly. In Miami no shortage of old, frail people in a crowded grocery store in the middle of the day buying lottery tickets, beer and cigarettes.

There is no, "no risk" in life. When I get behind the wheel of a car I take a risk, particularly late at night that some drunk is going to crash into me and seriously injure or kill me. It's one reason I try to refrain from driving after midnight. The airlines are acting appropriately by allowing for proper spacing on an a/c and cutting food and beverage service.

I know one thing. The human toll, illness, death, destruction, misery and suffering that will come from 30% unemployment will make Corona Virus look like a paper cut.

Mortyman

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:02 pm

Norwegian Boeing 787's and Boeing 737's taking a rest at an airport in Norway. Soon they will be joined by SAS aircraft.

Photos by Aftenbladet and Helitrans
Last edited by Mortyman on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

remingtonbox

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Norwegian Boeing 787's and Boeing 737's taking a rest at an airport in Norway. Soon they will be joined by SAS aircraft.

<snipped>

Photos by Helitrans

As bad as this global pandemic is and the reasons that caused these aircraft to be grounded.... What a cool picture, thanks for sharing.

smokeybandit

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:12 pm

"WASHINGTON—Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin indicated that the U.S. government would take stakes in airline carriers in exchange for billions of dollars in direct grants to the companies, as part of a $2 trillion economic rescue package, according to people familiar with the matter."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mnuchin-in ... 1585229047

Midwestindy

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 pm

Additional DL cuts:
https://news.delta.com/coronavirus-upda ... g-schedule

ATL-AMS/LHR & DTW-AMS is all that is left of TATL, Africa, Israel, India, and the rest of Europe is gone
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

TW870

Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:51 pm

Operations are getting smaller everywhere. Just to give you an idea for DL's MSP operation where I am and which is always busy. As of 3:45 central time on March 26th, an A321 is taxiing out for DTW after having left the gate at 3:44. Prior to that, the last mainline departure was a 757 to SLC that pushed at 2:34pm, and prior to that an A320 that pushed for DCA at 1:31pm. There were a few RJ operations in the mean time, but you would have to go back to the 1960s to find such a thin schedule from our hub carrier.

malaysia

Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 pm

I think this is pretty much everywhere, I guess those who work at airports need to stay safe too. Earlier someone posted that AA workers in DFW tested positive, well I found this on my yahoo feed of an actual death of an airport worker RIP.

https://news.yahoo.com/worker-newark-ai ... 24777.html
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

MontyP

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:14 pm

PA727 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

Yes, and thanks for the measured response. Seems like there are overreactions on both sides. My job happens to be one considered essential, so each day, all day, I am in public and surrounded by MANY people who are out - of all ages, both by necessity and by choice. This is my job, and I accept it and the risks that come with it. I would guess those who complain about people being out would also be glad I'm out as well.

With that said, while the airlines are still flying and trying to gain whatever revenue they can, should I decide to fly on my day off, it is my concern. Where does one draw the line? I'm already out there, as are many others who are making the choice to fly. Most, if not all, geographically large countries are still maintaining some level of air travel within their borders, so I wouldn't be so quick to call this an "American" thing. When I am home, I live alone and am not a threat to others. When I am in public, both for work and by choice, I follow all CDC protocols as best as possible.

Late last week, I did fly, and it was by choice. Not only did I follow precautions, but I would submit my chances of either catching - or transmitting - the virus were far less than what I face on a daily basis. For about 95% of the time, I was easily able to maintain social distancing suggestions, given the lack of people traveling.

While this may sound like equivocating or justifying to some, the intention is to point out there is no black and white, even during these times. Absolutist views on both sides have gotten us into much of this trouble, yet we continue. How well has yelling at the side we disagree with worked? As long as planes are flying, there will be some segment of the population flying.

We are all in this thing together, and I choose to thank those who are willingly help keep whatever we can of society functioning, while urging all of those who are in high risk groups or otherwise choose to isolate to do so as well. There will always be uncaring people out there, in both their actions AND their words.

With due respect you are missing the point. The advice (almost globally now) is that you should only be travelling if it is essential - so if you have the choice, the choice should be "no". And secondly, it is not really about whether you will catch it (which is clearly your own risk) but about whether you will spread it, probably unknowingly, to others who have not been able to make the choice. So you are basically making a self-centred/selfish choice that is helping to perpetuate a situation that is existential to a significant portion of the global population.

zkeoj

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 pm

MontyP wrote:
PA727 wrote:
Miamiairport wrote:

With due respect you are missing the point. The advice (almost globally now) is that you should only be travelling if it is essential - so if you have the choice, the choice should be "no". And secondly, it is not really about whether you will catch it (which is clearly your own risk) but about whether you will spread it, probably unknowingly, to others who have not been able to make the choice. So you are basically making a self-centred/selfish choice that is helping to perpetuate a situation that is existential to a significant portion of the global population.

Thank you! The selfishness on here should shock me, but given the US response to the crisis it doesn't surprise me one bit. Aviation around the globe is and will be massively affected, and the US is no exception. Numbers are rapidly increasing there, and it is just a matter of time where the administration can't deny it any longer, and have to order lockdowns as well.

Be kind, stay strong, break the chain!

Miamiairport

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:21 pm

malaysia wrote:
I think this is pretty much everywhere, I guess those who work at airports need to stay safe too. Earlier someone posted that AA workers in DFW tested positive, well I found this on my yahoo feed of an actual death of an airport worker RIP.

https://news.yahoo.com/worker-newark-ai ... 24777.html

The issue I see is that there is no way to determined where someone became infected. This person could have been infected by someone next to him at the grocery store, the drug store, the gas station, etc. People need food and health items. People get killed driving on the road and while it's a tragedy for them and their families people aren't going to stop driving.

ZazuPIT

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:47 pm

zkeoj wrote:
MontyP wrote:
PA727 wrote:

Thank you! The selfishness on here should shock me, but given the US response to the crisis it doesn't surprise me one bit. Aviation around the globe is and will be massively affected, and the US is no exception. Numbers are rapidly increasing there, and it is just a matter of time where the administration can't deny it any longer, and have to order lockdowns as well.

Be kind, stay strong, break the chain!

Americans as a whole are arrogant and selfish. People think they can fly and not be affected. Given the exponential increase in cases, people should not fly unless it is vital. Young people think they are bullet proof, but they aren't.

CRJ200flyer

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:53 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/flight-attendant-coronavirus-death/index.html

American Airlines flight attendant dies from coronavirus.

As a pilot, I feel for the stress of the flight attendants being so close to the passengers every day. One of my pilot friends is afraid to go to work as he lives with elderly parents, and is worried every trip he’ll bring the virus home to them unwittingly; yet he doesn’t have unlimited sick time to burn either, and the company won’t let him call out sick until he actually gets it, by which point it would be too late. Another friend’s family told him to stay away for 14 days since he’s based in NYC (and will have to keep going back again for trips). Still another’s kid got a bad fever days after returning home from a trip where the only variable was his return home from the east coast. While I’ve thankfully been off from work, I’ve been listening to their stories of restaurants closed in airports, trying to find food every night in hotels, operating empty airplanes. A buddy at Piedmont flew a flight with zero passengers and another of his yesterday had zero paying passengers and three nonvrevs.

FlyHappy

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:45 pm

ZazuPIT wrote:
zkeoj wrote:
MontyP wrote:

Americans as a whole are arrogant and selfish. People think they can fly and not be affected. Given the exponential increase in cases, people should not fly unless it is vital. Young people think they are bullet proof, but they aren't.

Reconsider your generalization.
Those 90%+ unoccuppied seats on American aircraft were to be occupied by people who did choose to stay at home. See the post directly above.
You're on an aviation enthusiast site judging based a few anecdotal accounts.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos