Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA735WL
Topic Author

Soviet Airliners Outside the Eastern Bloc

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:40 am

Hi folks,

Bit of a two pronged question, so bear with me

As far as I know, SU and flag carriers of other Eastern Bloc countries operated Soviet airliners quite frequently on various international routes to Western countries. In these instances, did the Soviet types require any sort of special handling when compared to western types of the day?

For example, I'm wondering if a standard underwing pressure fuel nozzle would fit an Il-62 or Tu-154, or if a GPU compatible with a 737 would also work on a Soviet design. For that matter, were they able to burn the same blends of Jet-A as western types?

Logistically speaking, how did these carriers accomplish tasks like unscheduled maintenance? For example: If an Il-62 went tech at JFK, did they have to fly parts and mechanics in from Russia, or did they have contract MX at all their international stations that were trained on Soviet types?

The other part of the question is how many carriers not directly influenced by Moscow operated these airliners? I'm aware of a few:

Aeronica operated a pair of Tu-154M- there are photographs of them at MEX in the database here.

Several smaller Italian carriers operated the Yak-40- does anyone know which ones?

A South American carrier (I believe from Guyana) used a Tu-154 (not sure which variant) into JFK briefly in the 80s/90s (heard as an anecdote on an unrelated thread a while back on here).

Anyone know any more?
"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions" -Tex Johnston

Antaras

Re: Soviet Airliners Outside the Eastern Bloc

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:02 am

Maybe those Russian airframes need some special treatment (software updates, ...). Those "moderation" may come from Western countries, and I guess that those are the reasons why Air Koryo is being banned from EU airspace (the same with Iran when it cannot access new update for its shiny new A332s and A321)
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

Starfuryt

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:48 am

"software updates" and Tu-154 has never really been used in the same sentence. (at least as far the original design is concerned)

Melbourne

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:56 am

UA735WL wrote:
Hi folks,

As far as I know, SU and flag carriers of other Eastern Bloc countries operated Soviet airliners quite frequently on various international routes to Western countries. In these instances, did the Soviet types require any sort of special handling when compared to western types of the day?

For example, I'm wondering if a standard underwing pressure fuel nozzle would fit an Il-62 or Tu-154, or if a GPU compatible with a 737 would also work on a Soviet design. For that matter, were they able to burn the same blends of Jet-A as western types?

Logistically speaking, how did these carriers accomplish tasks like unscheduled maintenance? For example: If an Il-62 went tech at JFK, did they have to fly parts and mechanics in from Russia, or did they have contract MX at all their international stations that were trained on Soviet types?

The other part of the question is how many carriers not directly influenced by Moscow operated these airliners? I'm aware of a few:

Aeronica operated a pair of Tu-154M- there are photographs of them at MEX in the database here.

Several smaller Italian carriers operated the Yak-40- does anyone know which ones?

A South American carrier (I believe from Guyana) used a Tu-154 (not sure which variant) into JFK briefly in the 80s/90s (heard as an anecdote on an unrelated thread a while back on here).

Anyone know any more?

Africa:
Egypt Air operated Ilyushin Il-62, Il-18 and Tu-154 aircraft
Air Cairo (Egypt) still operates Tupolev Tu-204 freighters and pax aircraft which are equipped with RR power plants

Europe:
Olympic Airways (Greece) operated 2 Yakovlev Yak-40 aircraft on domestic services, they also had an Il-62M on leased from Aeroflot at one stage.
Heavy Lift (UK) operated Ilyushin Il-76 freighters and Antonov An-12 freighters
Green Air (Turkey) operated Tu-134 and Tu-154 aircraft
Active Air (Turkey) operated Tu-154 aircraft

Asia:
Lion Air (Indonesia) operated Yakovlev Yak-42D aircraft
Interisland Airlines (Philippines) opetaed Yakovlev Yak-40 aircraft
Hajviary Airlines (Pakistan) operated leased Ilyushin il-86 aircraft
PIA (Pakistan) operated Tupolev Tu-154M aircraft
Air India (India) operated a leased Il-62M from Aeroflot at one stage also

Oceania:
Pacific Express (New Zealand/Australia) operated Ilyushin Il-76 freighters for around a year between NZ and Australia

South America:
Imperial Airlines (Peru) operated Tu-134 aircraft

Just to add in the 60s,70s,80s and early 90s Aeroflot operated an extensive operation out of SNN with maintenance and crewing bases to cater for all trans Atlantic services.

n729pa

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:36 am

Cubana comes to mind

CAAC use to operate a variety of Soviet built equipment too, alongside their 707/747s etc, not sure now if they were just domestically or not, but China wasn't as open then as it is now.

I do remember a small operator in Italy too, with a pair of Yaks circa mid-late 80s. But can remember their name.

Iraqi Airways and Syrianair are two more, both had Il76s and Syrian had a variety of Soviet built equipment alongside their 727s and SPs

I think their were some down in Mozambique too, I seem to recall the president getting killed in his Tu134 near Maputo I think it was. (Going back 30+ years now)

Did TAAG have any Soviet equipment back in the day with their 737s?

TUGMASTER

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 am

Link to Italian Yak40 operators
viewtopic.php?t=149245

TC957

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:33 am

There was a small German airline - can't recall the name - that had a few Yak-40's in the 1970's, think they were based at SCN mostly.

eta unknown

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:44 am

TAAG & LAM both had one Il-62. IIRC there was also a TAAG TU-134.

Syrian, Ariana, Iran Air Tours had TU-154's.

Guyana had an Il-62 for a one-off presidential visit.

RalXWB

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 am

TC957 wrote:
There was a small German airline - can't recall the name - that had a few Yak-40's in the 1970's, think they were based at SCN mostly.

It was called General Air.

Melbourne

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:04 am

eta unknown wrote:
TAAG & LAM both had one Il-62. IIRC there was also a TAAG TU-134.

Syrian, Ariana, Iran Air Tours had TU-154's.

Guyana had an Il-62 for a one-off presidential visit.

All of these carriers were from Eastern Bloc nations as mentioned by the opening post.

BawliBooch

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:06 am

Air India itself did not operate the Il62. It was joint codeshare with Aeroflot for ONE route BOM-SVO with both SU and AI cabin crew. I think JAL had a similar arrangement for Tokyo-Moscow flights, first with Tu114 and then Il62.

Domestic carrier Indian Airlines also wet-leased An-24, Tu-154 and Tu-134 aircraft 3/4 times for around 3 months at a time. This was done to break the notorious cabin/flight crew strikes in the 70-80-90's when Indian Airlines was the only domestic airline in operation. The practice stopped after a wet-leased Tu-154 crashed on approach to DEL.

A privately owned airline called Archana Airways also operated Eastern Bloc aircraft like An-28 and Let410 till they went out of business. The airline had 2 crashes in a single day.
Last edited by BawliBooch on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

SR380

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:08 am

UA735WL wrote:
Hi folks,

Anyone know any more?

Hi there,
Even if I am a huge fan of Soviets aircarfts, I think that most airline ordering Soviets aircraft were influenced by the politics. It always have been this way, and still is the case today. For example, if you look at EgyptAir ordering a few Tu-154 in the early 70s, it was just after the Soviets helped Egypt build the Assouan Damn. As of today, this airline still flies a small number of Airbuses and Boeings, while it will be more economical to fly just 2-3 types. Case like that can be found pretty much everywhere, as long as it's a national airline. And until the early 90s, it was pretty much the case everywhere.

The better question would be if a private airline ever profitably operated soviets jets outside the CIS?

As for your question on standard underwing pressure fuel nozzle, I don't have an answer. But, as the USSR was one of the founders of the ICAO organisation, I would assume they all agreed upon some standards so Soviets jets could refuel in JFK just as the Pan Am 747 could refuel in SVO... Once again, I am just assuming.

TheEuphorian

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:12 am

JT(Lion Air) originally started off with the Yak-42 before moving towards the 737-200/MD-82

VN(Vietnam Airlines) operated Tu-134s prior to 1994 and soon after they were all dumped in favor of the A320 and 767-300ER

Antaras

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:26 am

Vietnam Airlines some 20 years ago operated Tu-134s, IL-18s and Yak-40s:

After Bill Clinton lifted the ban (in 1995, isn't it?), VN soon acquired bunches of ATR-72s, Fokker 70s, Airbus A320s and Being 767-300ERs.
Enventually those old Soviet-era airframes go straight to the museum (or literally yeeted to the hencoop, welcome to Vietnam :D).
Last edited by Antaras on Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

DIJKKIJK

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:29 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Air India itself did not operate the Il62. It was joint codeshare with Aeroflot for ONE route BOM-SVO with both SU and AI cabin crew. I think JAL had a similar arrangement for Tokyo-Moscow flights, first with Tu114 and then Il62.

Domestic carrier Indian Airlines also wet-leased An-24, Tu-154 and Tu-134 aircraft 3/4 times for around 3 months at a time. This was done to break the notorious cabin/flight crew strikes in the 70-80-90's when Indian Airlines was the only domestic airline in operation. The practice stopped after a wet-leased Tu-154 crashed on approach to DEL.

A privately owned airline called Archana Airways also operated Eastern Bloc aircraft like An-28 and Let410 till they went out of business. The airline had 2 crashes in a single day.

Indian Airlines never leased the An-24 or the TU-134. Only the Tu-154s, which were leased from Uzbekistan during one of the pilot strikes of the 1990s
If I recall correctly, in addition to the IL-62, Air India also once leased an IL-76 from Aeroflot for its cargo operations. I remember seeing the aircraft in BOM during the 1990s, wearing the old AI livery.

And Archana also never flew any Soviet type. They operated two Czech-built L 410, one of which crashed in Kanpur and the other went down in Kullu.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

SueD

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:54 am

Across the UK in particular summer charters during the 70s with the TU134 and 134A of Aviogenex, Lot, Balkan, Tu154 of Balkan and Tarom, and the IL62m of Tarom were very common indeed .
Even IL18s of Tarom ,LOT and Balkan were seen regularly.
CSA also sent in same three on scheduled flights in the later eighties.
Most airports could hand the Tupolevs quite readily with tugs, push bars and GPUs , The IL62 rather less so; Frequently these would park side on to piers or even remotely so reduce the need for the tugs and bars, that said Tarom were known to carry a bar in the hold specifically for remote and infrequently visited stations.

Blerg

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Yugoslav charter carrier, Aviogenex, operated a fleet of Tu-134 in addition to B727s and later on B732s.

georgiabill

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:16 pm

I always wondered why the Yak-40 did not operate for more carriers in developing countries in Africa, South and Central America. Would have been useful in Alaska and Northern Canada. Could operate from dirt fields and less developed airports.

alfa164

Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:39 pm

Melbourne wrote:
Asia:
Lion Air (Indonesia) operated Yakovlev Yak-42D aircraft
Interisland Airlines (Philippines) opetaed Yakovlev Yak-40 aircraft
Hajviary Airlines (Pakistan) operated leased Ilyushin il-86 aircraft
PIA (Pakistan) operated Tupolev Tu-154M aircraft
Air India (India) operated a leased Il-62M from Aeroflot at one stage also

Lao Aviation - the predecessor to today's Lao Airlines - also operated the Yak-40
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:00 pm

With regards to handling and mechanical issues, I would venture a guess that, as these were mostly "flagship & prestige routes", and given that the average citizen (not being high up in the Communist party) wasn't allowed to travel or couldn't afford to travel, there would have been a LOT of empty seats for "state security personnel" as well as well-trusted mechanics to travel with the airline, along with perhaps a supply of spare parts.

"For the glory of the Communist party" and all that governmental self-idolizing, I doubt CSA or Malev or LOT or any of the other former Warsaw Pact airlines would let one of their IL-62's go tech and get stuck somewhere, embarrassing the state AND the party. There would have to be back-up systems in place to get their few but loyal passengers back to the home country. Cancellations, delays, and the announcement of, "too bad, this flight isn't operating today. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not, good luck in getting where you're going" would only have been for domestic flights, where outsiders wouldn't have seen it. But a cancelled flight from a western country? With prying eyes shining on why that Soviet-build plane went tech? Never!

capicua

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

During the 1990s Venezuelan domestic airline Oriental de Aviacion used to operate three Yak-40s leased from Cuban carrier Aero Caribbean.

Here's a pic from this site's photo database:

Edited to add photo credit
Last edited by capicua on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The greatest sight to see is the world - look at it!" (Kurt Tucholsky),
and getting there is half the fun!

NickWebb

Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 pm

Aertirrena in Italy had the Yak 40 and Imperial in Perú had the TU-134, more recent times Oriental de Aviación (Venezuela) operated some Yak 40s
[photoid][/photoid]/Users/nickwebb/Desktop/FullSizeRender.jpg

VSMUT

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 pm

UA735WL wrote:

Soviet types used compatible fuel systems. Even their fighter jets were compatible with western systems, so you could keep them running on captured equipment and bases as they advanced west through Europe.

UA735WL wrote:

I'd guess so. At big destinations they probably had a spares depot and some fixed base engineers. Older Russian types often carry an engineer, so he would have been able to fix basic stuff. It isn't unique to Soviet types though, can be a problem for western types too. Not every airport in the world has maintenance facilities for every type, if they do any maintenance at all. You would be surprised at how many relatively big places you can't get a 737 fixed.
I did an ACMI job one summer at a smallish airfield. We had to bring our own engineer and a van full of spare parts to keep the ATR running. We also require non-standard towbars, plus many 737 and A320 compatible GPUs apparently aren't compatible. On a sidenote, I've had many refuelers tell me that the ATR has Soviet style latches on the hatches and access panels.

eta unknown

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:33 pm

I imagine Aeroflot would have had one of their engineers based in JFK who would also be contracted to look after CSA, LOT and Tarom.

I like this video of the engineer on the jets with what looks like an oil can during what may have been a one off tech stop:
https://youtu.be/iTVEu_ajals

F27500

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Really the only airlines that fly or flew Russian planes are from countries that have "had" to ... because they are (or were) under the Russian influence and intimidation umbrella .. or that they were too poor to buy better ones from the west.

Russian planes (and support for them) are not looked at seriously by most carriers because of their poor quality .. pure and simple.

The fact that even Aeroflot started buying Airbus and Boeing (as well as all the prev Russian plane carriers like LO, OK, etc) .. speaks volumes.

SueD

Re: Soviet Airliners Outside the Eastern Blocsh

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:48 pm

F27500 wrote:
Really the only airlines that fly or flew Russian planes are from countries that have "had" to ... because they are (or were) under the Russian influence and intimidation umbrella .. or that they were too poor to buy better ones from the west.

Russian planes (and support for them) are not looked at seriously by most carriers because of their poor quality .. pure and simple.

The fact that even Aeroflot started buying Airbus and Boeing (as well as all the prev Russian plane carriers like LO, OK, etc) .. speaks volumes.

Romania BUILT the BAc1-11 and Briton Norman Islanders, whilst Tarom also bought 3 707s . Yugoslavia has tonnes of Caravelles, DC-9s of almost all sizes, 707s 727s and DC10s even had military Gazelle helicopters.

BTW THE Tu154b-1 and M variants were seriously good frames especially for rough field performances.

Simply put relatively few made it beyond East Germany and soviet satellites in Africa and Central America in the main was and still is today, dire after sales service frankly.

The Yak 40 generated substantial interest , however failed traction explicitly because the after sales network didn’t exist.

SueD

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:49 pm

eta unknown wrote:
I imagine Aeroflot would have had one of their engineers based in JFK who would also be contracted to look after CSA, LOT and Tarom.

I like this video of the engineer on the jets with what looks like an oil can during what may have been a one off tech stop:
https://youtu.be/iTVEu_ajals

Pan Am were the handling agent at JFK and Washington

eta unknown

Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:55 pm

CSA, LOT, Tarom also used the Pan Am JFK terminal. PA were the handling agent, but did they do the engineering? If so, how did they get licenced on the IL-62- did they send people to Europe or was there an SU engineer at JFK?

SueD

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Aeroflot operated the IL62 and before that the TU114 with an engineer as crew and quite possibly KGB chaperone on politically important international routes at the same time.

VSMUT

Re: Soviet Airliners Outside the Eastern Blocsh

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:16 pm

SueD wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Romania BUILT the BAc1-11 and Briton Norman Islanders, whilst Tarom also bought 3 707s . Yugoslavia has tonnes of Caravelles, DC-9s of almost all sizes, 707s 727s and DC10s even had military Gazelle helicopters.

Romania, Albania and Yugoslavia weren't really Soviet vassal states. Even if they were Socialist dictatorships, they had the freedom to buy western. Romania and Yugoslavia had a lot of French and British equipment in their air forces, not least Alouette III, Gazelle and Puma helicopters and the IAR-93/Orao and IAR-99 are powered by Rolls Royce engines. The IAR-93 and Orao were armed with some pretty advanced US missiles among others.

SueD

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:29 pm

And Poland with the Viscount And Convairs ?

yes and Yugoslavia was a sight more peaceful land united under Tito but that’s for another thread I suppose

northstardc4m

Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:35 pm

Guyana Airways also flew Tu-154s (a B2 then replaced by an M) in regular service besides the IL-62 lease.

Aeronica flew an Tu-154M (and An-32s)

TAAG flew an IL-62M and Yak40s

LAM (Mozambique) flew an IL-62M

None of those are traditionally in the Soviet bloc, though maybe at various times could be called satellites ?(except Guyana).
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

dcajet

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 pm

All sales of Soviet airliners, whether outside the Soviet Bloc or within the Comecon (Council for Mutual Economic Assistance), were politically influenced/motivated. Those countries belonging to the Comecon didn't have much of a choice, whereas for other countries it boiled down to economic terms: the USSR would offer their planes at very advantageous conditions which included barter for local goods needed in the USSR and its satellites. Romania and the former Yugoslavia were free agents within the Eastern Bloc and pursued their own policies which included the procurement of Western types, such as the Caravelle, DC-9 & DC-10, 707 & 727 in the case of JAT and the 1-11 and 707 in the case of TAROM;
Keep calm and wash your hands.

bluejuice

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm

I'll need to dig out the pics but I remember flying on several Yak-42s inside China during the 90s.
Not biased against vacuum flush.

eta unknown

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Fun fact: JAT paid for some DC-9's with... pork! It was somehow arranged between the Yugoslav and US governments.

F27500

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:41 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Fun fact: JAT paid for some DC-9's with... pork! It was somehow arranged between the Yugoslav and US governments.

Yugoslavian pork? What ... we don't have enough pigs over here ???

leleko747

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:43 pm

Here in Brazil, a flying club from São Paulo state, named "Clube Náutico Água Limpa", had a Yakovlev Yak-40.
The jet was registered as S9-BAP (registered in São Tomé and Principe, Africa) and operated for a short time in the early 2000s.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zfFyWnvUsrE/ ... UBE1_T.jpg

Sadly, the jet was impounded by Brazilian authorities after irregularities were found.
Nowadays, the Yak-40 sit derelict at Ribeirão Preto airport, São Paulo state.

This great page show some pics of the whole operation. Although in Portuguese, it's surely worth to check!
http://blog.aeroentusiasta.com.br/2018/ ... do-no.html
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

n729pa

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:45 am

MIAT Mongolian Airlines and Ariana Afghan Airlines are two more.
Libyan Arab had Il76s too while I think of it

BawliBooch

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:28 am

Based on the pics I saw on a friends FB post, a Somali airline flew Il-18's till quite recently. Perhaps they still do.

There were passengers boarding the flight with live chickens! Inflight meal was a banana and tetrapak orange juice! :P
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Melbourne

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:44 am

n729pa wrote:
MIAT Mongolian Airlines and Ariana Afghan Airlines are two more.
Libyan Arab had Il76s too while I think of it

Mongolia, Afghanistan were definitely an eastern bloc nation with Soviet Back Governments. Syrian Air also operated Tu-154M aircraft and still operate TU-134 and Yak-40 aircraft but once again allies of the USSR/Russia.

vhqpa

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:01 am

There was a BNE based (attempted?) startup about 15 years ago, which had a single Yak-42. I recall the plan was to fly to the small mid Pacific nations such as Kiribati, and Micronesia in a combi configuration, with cargo loaded through the pax door as it didn't have a cargo door. I'm not sure if they survived long enough to even operate a single revenue flight, if it did it didn't do many.

*EDIT It was called Eco Airlines

"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

VirginFlyer

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:14 am

vhqpa wrote:
There was a BNE based (attempted?) startup about 15 years ago, which had a single Yak-42. I recall the plan was to fly to the small mid Pacific nations such as Kiribati, and Micronesia in a combi configuration, with cargo loaded through the pax door as it didn't have a cargo door. I'm not sure if they survived long enough to even operate a single revenue flight, if it did it didn't do many.

*EDIT It was called Eco Airlines

I seem to recall it flew a few times, then sat at BNE for several years with decreasingly inflated tyres.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Toinou

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 am

dcajet wrote:
All sales of Soviet airliners, whether outside the Soviet Bloc or within the Comecon (Council for Mutual Economic Assistance), were politically influenced/motivated. Those countries belonging to the Comecon didn't have much of a choice, whereas for other countries it boiled down to economic terms: the USSR would offer their planes at very advantageous conditions which included barter for local goods needed in the USSR and its satellites. Romania and the former Yugoslavia were free agents within the Eastern Bloc and pursued their own policies which included the procurement of Western types, such as the Caravelle, DC-9 & DC-10, 707 & 727 in the case of JAT and the 1-11 and 707 in the case of TAROM;

In the case of Yugoslavia, they were even more than "free agent". Their relationship with Soviet Union was very complicated, they were a founding member of the non-aligned movement. And, what is probably more relevant to the aircraft aspect, Tito was very good at playing a block against the other, keeping them in a constant competition in supporting him, which is a part of the explanation why the economy of Yugoslavia was doing somewhat better than that of other communist countries in Europe.

cedarjet

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:42 am

BawliBooch wrote:
Based on the pics I saw on a friends FB post, a Somali airline flew Il-18's till quite recently. Perhaps they still do.

There were passengers boarding the flight with live chickens! Inflight meal was a banana and tetrapak orange juice! :P

What’s wrong with a banana and a juice box? Better than catering provided on flights with American or United of comparable duration. And when I flew on that airline (called Daallo btw) there was no chickens in the cabin. This isn’t an Eddie Murphy movie.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Blerg

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:52 am

F27500 wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

Yugoslavian pork? What ... we don't have enough pigs over here ???

It was a political deal, the US needed to be tactical after Stalin died as that's when Yugoslavia and the Soviet Union got cozy. There is a reason why Yugoslavia didn't do anything in 1956 when the Hungarian uprising took place despite Belgrade sending strong messages of support for the changes taking place in Budapest. The US had to buy something from Yugoslavia in order to keep money flowing in. JAT bought US planes (DC-6, DC-9, DC-10, B707, B727, B737...) and in return the US government bought Yugoslav meat products.

Toinou

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:07 am

When you want absolutely to sell something, you may have to absolutely accept what is offered in payment. It can be a good option to set foot on a market which will, in the future, pay with real money. I know a Swiss company which accepted to be partially paid in onions for lab equipment by an East-German company around 1990.

Ty134A

Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:10 am

Mekong International 2xIL6
Air Kampuchea ?xTU3
BerLine ?xIL8
Several Iranian ones
Notable Chienese: Xinjiang which ordered three factory new ILW
KLM joint SU Ops on IL6
DaAllo ?xIL8, 1xTU5, ?xAN4

Old.Russianplanes.net has records for every foreign operator, there are/is hundreds small ones.
TU3/5,T20,IL8/6/W/9,I14,YK4/2,AN2/4,A26,A28,A38,A40,A81,SU9,L4T,L11,D1C,M11,M80/2/7,
AB4/6,318-321,313,332/3,342/3/5/6,712,703,722,732/3/4/5/G/8,741/L/2/3/4,752/3,763,
77E/W,J31,F50,F70,100,ATP,142/3,AR8/1,SF3,S20,D38,MIH,EM4,E75/90/95,AT7,DHT/3/4,CRJ/7/9

bombayduck

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 am

BerLine had a few IL18's in the early 90's. Had a flight on of their IL-18's in 1992 At the Berlin air show.

SueD

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 pm

bombayduck wrote:
BerLine had a few IL18's in the early 90's. Had a flight on of their IL-18's in 1992 At the Berlin air show.

Formed out of the liquidated assets of Interflug by a few former employees.

shankly

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:01 pm

I remember seeing a Lion Air (Indonesia) Yak 42 at the gate in KUL in probably the very early 2000's

KLM of course operated a joint Il62 service with Aeroflot on the Amsterdam-Moscow-Tokyo run. Flight crew were Aeroflot, but cabin crew and in flight service KLM. I believe upto 9 aircraft were used in the wet-lease arrangement
L1011 - P F M

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos