Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SR380
Topic Author

Question about Tu-154 follding seats

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:41 am

Hey guys,

going through tu-154 cabin pictures, I realized that the u-154 could fold into an unusual manner (for a westerner point of view). What was the reason of this disign? What it meant to transport cargo as well?

https://www.knaviation.net/museum-budapest/

Thanks

TUGMASTER

Re: Question about Tu-154 follding seats

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:46 am

Absolutely ....Exactly that reason.

Was also useful to stretch your legs out, on a lightly loaded flight.

SR380
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 am

TUGMASTER wrote:

Thanks. Must habe been very comfy fly when you could stretch your legs! I can now see also how EgyptAir did cargo flight with their Tu-154 before the crash.

PlymSpotter

Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm

This is pretty much standard for all major Russian types. It is also incredibly dangerous in an incident.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

tu204

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:23 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
This is pretty much standard for all major Russian types. It is also incredibly dangerous in an incident.

I assume you mean because at the moment of impact you hit the seat and crunch the pax in front of you?

On the positive note during an evacuation you can fold the seats and get out easier.

On a side note I've flown a couple very late built T154's (2009 and 2011 if I am not mistaken), and these birds have the standard seats we are used to that don't fold forward.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Antaras

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi, I just have some question about Tu-154's brother, Tu-134.
From this video on Youtube (18:14) recording a Vietnam Airlines flight in 1996, I notice that the luggage cabinets cannot be closed.
Can anyone verify this? Is this mean that when there is disturbance or heavy shakes, the luugage fill fall directly onto passengers' heads?
An snapped image here in case that you are too lazy to check the vid :D
Luckily now VN operates bunches of ATR, Airbus and Boeing which all have close-able luggage cabinets and the bags are hardly fall onto my head :cry2:
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

workhorse

Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm

Antaras wrote:
From this video on Youtube (18:14) recording a Vietnam Airlines flight in 1996, I notice that the luggage cabinets cannot be closed.
Can anyone verify this? Is this mean that when there is disturbance or heavy shakes, the luugage fill fall directly onto passengers' heads?
Luckily now VN operates bunches of ATR, Airbus and Boeing which all have close-able luggage cabinets and the bags are hardly fall onto my head :cry2:

This was pretty standard on all aircraft from that era (mid-60s). Check out cabin pictures of 707s, DC-8s, Caravelles.

TUGMASTER

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm

Can’t remember if the Saha707’s had open racks.....

NameOmitted

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Antaras wrote:

In 1989 I flew into Vladivostok. We flew into Magidan on an international TU-154, and then transferred to a domestic one. The domestic model had open luggage racks, and lacked oxygen masks for the passengers. I asked the flight attendant about the oxygen masks and she smiled, assuring me the cockpit had them, and we would not want to be conscious in there case is an emergency anyway.

32andBelow

Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:52 pm

Some seats on flights to rural Alaska did this so they could load stretchers.

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:49 pm

SR380 wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:

Thanks. Must habe been very comfy fly when you could stretch your legs! I can now see also how EgyptAir did cargo flight with their Tu-154 before the crash.
Not so fast, comrade!

Aeroflot Tu-154s were presumably fitted with Soviet made seats, but... Egyptair sent their Tu-154s to LHR to have alternative (British?) seats fitted, not necessarily the same folding design. Maybe the Egyptians didn't like the idea of folding seats? (see caption to photo #1)

However... it is true that they did use these planes for cargo (maybe after removing the seats completely?), as shown by the second photo (SU-AXD) caught in the act of loading parcels via a conveyor ramp up to the central door, taken at the same LHR Cargo Centre where the seats were fitted. (photo #2)

Nothing to see here; move along please.

opticalilyushin

Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:09 pm

Also it was in the better days of travel when the racks mostly held just coats and briefcases, etc.

Antaras wrote:

SR380
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:19 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
SR380 wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:

Not so fast, comrade!

Aeroflot Tu-154s were presumably fitted with Soviet made seats, but... Egyptair sent their Tu-154s to LHR to have alternative (British?) seats fitted, not necessarily the same folding design. Maybe the Egyptians didn't like the idea of folding seats? (see caption to photo #1)

However... it is true that they did use these planes for cargo (maybe after removing the seats completely?), as shown by the second photo (SU-AXD) caught in the act of loading parcels via a conveyor ramp up to the central door, taken at the same LHR Cargo Centre where the seats were fitted. (photo #2)

Thanks. Anyway, as EgyptAir newer flew passenger service and as one crashed, I assumed it was comfortable after all.

I just deeply regret I could fly the mighty tree jet when I was in the DPRK.

TUGMASTER

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 pm

The only ones I flew were in Iran.
An Iran Air Tours machine and a Aria Air bird, in an Eram air c/s. Both had the folding seats.

Aesma

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:22 am

Open racks also called hat racks, giving an indication of the intended use.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Melbourne

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:11 am

Open racks on Tu-154A to B-2 was normal along with the early Il-62M aircraft as well. From the early 80s enclosed bins were standard on Tu-154M, Il-62M, Il-86 onward.

Seats in all Soviet airliners were able to fold forward for a number of space utilisation, sometimes in flight in turbulence they would retract!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos