Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

johnyv
Topic Author

New Norm? - UAL has averaged 80 flts. in the air 3/27

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:38 pm

Will this be the new normal? Flightaware has shown United with only about 80 flights in the air at a given time on 3/27. How have they decided what flights have been cut?

KFTG

Re: New Norm? - UAL has averaged 80 flts. in the air 3/27

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:39 pm

Short term? Definitely. Long term? Definitely not.

johnyv
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:42 pm

It is sad. All the DL, AA, and WN are down too, but not nearly as much as UA. Very sad

jayunited

Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:56 pm

johnyv wrote:
It is sad. All the DL, AA, and WN are down too, but not nearly as much as UA. Very sad

It is very sad but what is the point you are trying to make?

Everyone knows most flights no matter the carrier have at most 20-30 passengers on board and in most cases you are lucky if you have 10 passenger total on a flight. Yesterday UA only operated 40% of its schedule flights the other 60% was canceled. On many of our hub to hub routes UA is canceling a lot of narrowbody flights and combining them onto widebodies and even with that you are lucky if there are 40-50 people on the widebody flight. Having 80 flights in the air is the reality of the times we are living in.

MIflyer12

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:02 pm

Flights in the air at a point in time is a poor measure. Flights per day is more useful. No, it's not very many right now.

johnyv
Topic Author

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 pm

jayunited wrote:
johnyv wrote:

It is very sad but what is the point you are trying to make?

Everyone knows most flights no matter the carrier have at most 20-30 passengers on board and in most cases you are lucky if you have 10 passenger total on a flight. Yesterday UA only operated 40% of its schedule flights the other 60% was canceled. On many of our hub to hub routes UA is canceling a lot of narrowbody flights and combining them onto widebodies and even with that you are lucky if there are 40-50 people on the widebody flight. Having 80 flights in the air is the reality of the times we are living in.

No real point, other than awestruck by this development and just wanted to see what others thought

FlyThiz

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:19 pm

Last week I was trying to get home from Frankfurt on UA and the flights to EWR, ORD, IAD & my flight to SFO had less than 100 pax including our 77W and EWRs 787-10 at the opposite gate. UA had, at that point, cancelled all flights to LAX from LHR (original departure point). At that time I figured they were only operating to their hubs.
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

catiii

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:31 pm

johnyv wrote:
Will this be the new normal? Flightaware has shown United with only about 80 flights in the air at a given time on 3/27. How have they decided what flights have been cut?

Is every aspect of the customer experience or operational experience going to warrant a thread as "is this the new normal?" Of course it isn't the new normal. It's a temporary fact of life until the pandemic subsides and traffic returns. Airlines have pulled down as much as 80% of their system capacity in response to demand pressures from the pandemic. Will it last forever? No.

wetpantsmcgee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:23 am

Is United a write-off?

uadc8contrail

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 am

wetpantsmcgee wrote:
Is United a write-off?

if UA is a write off then AA,DL,WN and certainly AS and lets throw in every other us carrier as well.
Bus Driver

Pi7472000

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:41 am

Very sad times for the friendly skies! Seems like AA, DL, and WN are doing much better than UA! I loved United Airlines and hope they survive, but things seem to be worse there than others. Let's hope they can make it!!!

mga707

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:47 am

johnyv wrote:

A chart I recently saw had AA being down even more than UA. Something like 68% vs 70 %. Close, but AA was first among large US carriers in terms of percentage of flights cancelled overall.

United1

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:59 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Very sad times for the friendly skies! Seems like AA, DL, and WN are doing much better than UA! I loved United Airlines and hope they survive, but things seem to be worse there than others. Let's hope they can make it!!!

I would not say UA is doing worse than AA, DL or WN is....although don't get me wrong none of them are doing well right now.

UA has been far more aggressive than AA, DL or WN has been in consolidating flights and canceling the rest. UA is being extremely nimble right now and while it's a bit shocking to see they are taking the steps they need to in order to ensure UA comes out of this. The second part is even before this happened UA operated fewer mainline flights (especially domestic) than AA, DL or WN did so operating fewer flights right now is not particularly surprising.

Cancelations today:
UA 1608 72%
AA 1685 51%
DL 1339 39%
WN 642 15%
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

jetblastdubai

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:01 am

Pi7472000 wrote:
Very sad times for the friendly skies! Seems like AA, DL, and WN are doing much better than UA!

Assuming every other carrier's trips have 30-40% load factors, the opposite might be true. If most flights are losing money during this transition from full schedule to slashed schedule, then fewer flights might actually be better. We'll see how many ops. the other carriers have by next weekend.

Guillaume787

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:04 am

Pi7472000 wrote:

What is the basis for your statement? Honest question - why do you think UA seems to be worse than others?

United1

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:06 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:
Very sad times for the friendly skies! Seems like AA, DL, and WN are doing much better than UA!

Assuming every other carrier's trips have 30-40% load factors, the opposite might be true. If most flights are losing money during this transition from full schedule to slashed schedule, then fewer flights might actually be better. We'll see how many ops. the other carriers have by next weekend.

30-40% load factors would be wonderful right now....the TSA only screened around 10% of the people they did last year this time.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Cedar

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:23 am

United1 wrote:
Pi7472000 wrote:

I would not say UA is doing worse than AA, DL or WN is....although don't get me wrong none of them are doing well right now.

UA has been far more aggressive than AA, DL or WN has been in consolidating flights and canceling the rest. UA is being extremely nimble right now and while it's a bit shocking to see they are taking the steps they need to in order to ensure UA comes out of this. The second part is even before this happened UA operated fewer mainline flights (especially domestic) than AA, DL or WN did so operating fewer flights right now is not particularly surprising.

Cancelations today:
UA 1608 72%
AA 1685 51%
DL 1339 39%
WN 642 15%

:thumbsup: You hit the nail on the head. UA in my opinion has been alot more responsive & nimble to adapt to the market.They made very early decisions, and I give them props for being on their game & quickly adjusting. Not that DL, AA & WN are not - just that they reacted later & when they did, they weren't trying to reduce cost as agressively as UA. Now they are all in.

Cedar

Karlsands

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:24 am

johnyv wrote:

Why would one assume, nor ask if something occurring during an abnormal time is going to be normal ? Plus how the heck would we know haha

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos