Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

KFTG
Topic Author

"Amazon" Callsign Reserved w/ FAA

Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:05 pm

According to a document recently filed with the FAA (linked below), the ICAO designator (3LD) “MZN” and associated callsign “AMAZON” have been reserved by an entity called "Aviation Specialities Unlimited, LLC". Link: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/WOCC_GENOT_AMAZON.pdf. This entity is based in Boise.

MO11

Re: "Amazon" Callsign Reserved w/ FAA

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:30 am

JBo

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 am

MO11 wrote:

Either [A] Amazon is developing a partnership with this company (or is acquiring it), or [B] ASU decided to register it for themselves hoping that Amazon would have to buy it back from them (similar to how people register and park on domain names on the Internet to sell them at a premium).
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

WayexTDI

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:56 am

JBo wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Either [A] Amazon is developing a partnership with this company (or is acquiring it), or [B] ASU decided to register it for themselves hoping that Amazon would have to buy it back from them (similar to how people register and park on domain names on the Internet to sell them at a premium).

Is [B] even legal in the US?
I believe, in some countries, an individual cannot register an internet domain name unless mandated by the legal owner of the trademark to prevent such "blackmails"; I would imagine similar applies in those countries for airline callsigns.

KFTG
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:58 am

Yes, I believe this company either purchased the rights to the callsign to "sit on it" until Amazon pays up, or this is a shell company (or one soon to be purchased by Bezos).

wjcandee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:42 am

Not a shell company. A long-time operator. Probably didn't even think about Amazon.com. Owner probably has some personal connection to the callsign. Many aviation companies have interesting backstories on unusual callsigns: "Candler", "Waterski", etc.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:30 am

wjcandee wrote:
Not a shell company. A long-time operator. Probably didn't even think about Amazon.com. Owner probably has some personal connection to the callsign. Many aviation companies have interesting backstories on unusual callsigns: "Candler", "Waterski", etc.

ASA changed their callsign back to Acey after the FAA allowed them to do so. I'm pretty sure nobody made the Candler association unless they're a Coca-Cola historian.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

32andBelow

Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:58 am

Amazon just flies under the individual carriers call signs. I don’t think they care to have a call sign.

SierraPacific

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:46 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

ASA changed their callsign back to Acey after the FAA allowed them to do so. I'm pretty sure nobody made the Candler association unless they're a Coca-Cola historian.

I thought it was named after Candler Park in Atlanta rather than the Coke connection?

To the OP,

There are tons of crazy callsigns and I would personally bet money on this not having anything to do with Amazon.com. Two of my personal favorite weird callsigns are "Rock Band" and "Mission".

bluecrew

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:52 am

WayexTDI wrote:
JBo wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Either [A] Amazon is developing a partnership with this company (or is acquiring it), or [b] ASU decided to register it for themselves hoping that Amazon would have to buy it back from them (similar to how people register and park on domain names on the Internet to sell them at a premium).

Is [ B] even legal in the US?
I believe, in some countries, an individual cannot register an internet domain name unless mandated by the legal owner of the trademark to prevent such "blackmails"; I would imagine similar applies in those countries for airline callsigns.

If they really wanted it they could probably apply through the US Patent Office or something similar. See the Taco Tuesday/LeBron James fiasco.
Logic would be similar, Amazon is such a large and pervasive household name that it would have more standing than this small operator.

But they won't do that, because this doesn't look like a shell corporation in any way, and I'm virtually completely certain that nobody at Amazon could care less about this

strfyr51

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:58 am

this could mean that AMAZON expects to progress from contractor flying to forming their OWN Airline division. UPS did the same thing as Airborne did as well. they Have no operating Certificate as of yet so this could be the first step in getting one. Their next thing is to actually form an Airline to operate their planes instead of the "mish-mash" they have now and bring all operations under the same roof. Whie they also face the OTHER challenges of forming an airline ith Staff,and an Operating Certificate Suffice to say? They have a Task before them..

JBo

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:01 am

32andBelow wrote:
Amazon just flies under the individual carriers call signs. I don’t think they care to have a call sign.

Unless Amazon is looking to bring all of their cargo flying in-house rather than contract it out. In which case, it might be cheaper for them to buy out a small cargo operator such as this one to obtain an operating certificate than it would be to apply for and go through the process of obtaining a new certificate (not to mention faster).

Either that, or, like I said before, the owner of ASU registered it with the hope that someday Amazon will offer them a load of cash to buy the callsign from them.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

wjcandee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:22 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of real Atlantans, at least 15 years ago, knew exactly who Asa Candler was.

But it's a Southern thing. Like Truett Cathy. Nobody in NYC would ever have the slightest idea who he was. In the South in the 90s and early 2000s, there were few who didn't know that name.

wjcandee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:33 am

SierraPacific wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

I thought it was named after Candler Park in Atlanta rather than the Coke connection?

Maybe. But Candler Park is named after the guy who donated the land for the park in the 1920s: Asa Griggs Candler.

There were actually two Asa Candlers: the father (above), who bought the formula and founded the Coca Cola Company in like 1890 and died in like 1930, and his son, Asa Jr., who really built out the bottling business nationwide and died in the '50s.

A lot of native Atlantans are pretty-familiar with the family and its history. (In the same way that they are passionately-loyal to Coke. Don't try to serve Pepsi in your restaurant in Atlanta; it won't end well.)

Asa Candler, Jr. also built an airport called Candler Field, which is now called...

wjcandee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:38 am

JBo wrote:
Unless Amazon is looking to bring all of their cargo flying in-house rather than contract it out. In which case, it might be cheaper for them to buy out a small cargo operator such as this one

I'm not sure I would call them a "small cargo operator". They're an aircraft-night-vision-equipment manufacturer and installer (and trainer). But because they're all helicopter pilots, practically, from the CEO down, they also operate a Part 135 helicopter outfit that does very-challenging helicopter missions (and moves the occasional master-of-the-universe executive where he wants to go).

If I had to make a guess, I would think that Amazon is more to do with jungles and challenging-terrain night flying in terrible weather. The CEO was an Apache pilot back in the day.

SierraPacific

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:09 am

wjcandee wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Maybe. But Candler Park is named after the guy who donated the land for the park in the 1920s: Asa Griggs Candler.

There were actually two Asa Candlers: the father (above), who bought the formula and founded the Coca Cola Company in like 1890 and died in like 1930, and his son, Asa Jr., who really built out the bottling business nationwide and died in the '50s.

A lot of native Atlantans are pretty-familiar with the family and its history. (In the same way that they are passionately-loyal to Coke. Don't try to serve Pepsi in your restaurant in Atlanta; it won't end well.)

Asa Candler, Jr. also built an airport called Candler Field, which is now called...

Ahh, I always had thought of the park rather than the beverage. I have an excuse now to go back and visit the World of Coke now :lol: .

wjcandee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:49 am

SierraPacific wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

Ahh, I always had thought of the park rather than the beverage. I have an excuse now to go back and visit the World of Coke now :lol: .

I have never been to the World of Coke! I guess I now have to go next time I'm in Town.

Funny thing is, here in NYC I still know people who insist on calling JFK "Idlewild". And a lot of people know that ORD was Orchard Field. But I have never heard ATL referred to with its old name Candler Field.

chunhimlai

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:47 am

Amazon can register “EBAY” calling signal

USAirKid

Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:42 am

chunhimlai wrote:

Nah, they’ll go for PRIME

scbriml

Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:52 pm

IMHO, nothing in Amazon's history suggests they'd have been dumb enough to miss this if it was something they were remotely interested in.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mcg

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:12 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

To the OP,

There are tons of crazy callsigns and I would personally bet money on this not having anything to do with Amazon.com. Two of my personal favorite weird callsigns are "Rock Band" and "Mission".

so I must ask, who is "Rock Band" and who is "Mission"?

blueflyer

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:31 pm

bluecrew wrote:
Logic would be similar, Amazon is such a large and pervasive household name that it would have more standing than this small operator. But they won't do that, because this doesn't look like a shell corporation in any way, and I'm virtually completely certain that nobody at Amazon could care less about this

And they would have a hard time convincing a judge the audience of ATCos may be confused by the "mis-appropriation" of the brand and mistakenly acquire goods or services from this ASU entity while thinking they were purchasing from Amazon. Just because you own a trademark doesn't give you exclusive rights to use it as a brand in every market, every industry, and every form of trade. Besides...

USAirKid wrote:

Prime Air is the name of their still-in-testing drone delivery service. A Prime Air callsign for a manned delivery service seems far more likely indeed.

SierraPacific

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm

mcg wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

To the OP,

so I must ask, who is "Rock Band" and who is "Mission"?

Rock Band is the callsign for Journey Aviation (A private jet company) based in Boca Raton then Mission is STA jets (another Part 135 charter) based in Santa Ana.

UA444

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:59 pm

Amazon should use “SEARS”

RWA380

Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:59 am

USAirKid wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

This is the obvious choice anyway, given the name of Prime Air.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Adipocere

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:36 am

I think they would go with “BLUE ORIGIN”.

FlyHossD

Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:20 pm

USAirKid wrote:
chunhimlai wrote:

"Prime" was my first thought, too. That or maybe "Bezos."
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

32andBelow

Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:11 pm

I think amazon is more than happy to have the accidents/incidents go under names like atlas or air transport instead of amazon or prime.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos