Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

slcguy
Topic Author

DL 8955, military charter or medical relief flight?

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Today 3/28/20 DL 8965 (B763) departed SLC at 1422 UTC scheduled route SLC-ELP, ELP-ADW, ADW -ATL. Changing to a B752 and continuing on ATL-POB, POB-ELP, ELP-ATL arriving ATL tomorrow afternoon 3/29/20. Guessing they are military charters based on the ELP, ADW, POB stops and are flying medical personnel and supplies.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8965

FlyHossD

Re: DL 8955, military charter or medical relief flight?

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:29 pm

Considering the airports involved, that sure looks like a military charter to me, although why use ELP when BIggs AAF is just a few miles away (from ELP)?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

slcguy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Don't know why ELP, but that's the way it is scheduled.

32andBelow

Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:59 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
Considering the airports involved, that sure looks like a military charter to me, although why use ELP when BIggs AAF is just a few miles away (from ELP)?

Probably for ground handling. I’ve seen delta mil charters operate off ANC when EDF AFB is like 3 miles away.

BravoOne

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:40 pm

It was quite common back as far as Vietnam MAC charters to use ANC in lieu of EDF simply because they were better prepared to handle the ground duties.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:43 pm

Note that the two flights aren’t necessarily related. This looks to me like separate ELP-ADW and ADW-POB missions and their associated positioning flights that happen to use the same flight number.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

slcguy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:50 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Note that the two flights aren’t necessarily related. This looks to me like separate ELP-ADW and ADW-POB missions and their associated positioning flights that happen to use the same flight number.

Don't forget the POB-ELP-ATL leg. You don't reposition POB to ATL via ELP lol. This is all one flight over a 26 hour period with an aircraft change at ATL from a 763 to a 752 midway through..
Last edited by slcguy on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:58 pm

slcguy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Don't forget the POB-ELP-ATL leg. You don't reposition POB to ATL via ELP lol.

I had the right idea but typed the wrong codes. Separate ELP-ADW and POB-ELP charters. You don’t do POB-ELP via ATL with a night stop and aircraft change.

32andBelow

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:07 pm

BravoOne wrote:
It was quite common back as far as Vietnam MAC charters to use ANC in lieu of EDF simply because they were better prepared to handle the ground duties.
interesting, but I’m talking them doing this as soon ago as this year.

slcguy
Topic Author

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
slcguy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I had the right idea but typed the wrong codes. Separate ELP-ADW and POB-ELP charters. You don’t do POB-ELP via ATL with a night stop and aircraft change.

The aircraft change in ATL is between the SLC-ELP-ADW-ATL and the ATL-POB-ELP-ATL flights, Common is ELP, wonder why ELP/Ft Bliss is so popular now.
Last edited by slcguy on Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:31 pm

slcguy wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
slcguy wrote:

The aircraft change in ATL is between the SLC-ELP-ADW-ATL and the ATL-POB-ELP-ATL flights.

Maybe the third time’s the charm - ugh. You don’t do ADW-POB or ADW-ELP via ATL with a night stop and a change of gauge.

wjcandee

Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:39 pm

Military charter? Yes.

"Relief supplies/Medical"? No reason to believe that. The military moves people around all the time for myriad reasons.

FlyHossD

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:54 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
32andBelow wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

Probably for ground handling. I’ve seen delta mil charters operate off ANC when EDF AFB is like 3 miles away.

Thanks for the reply.

Still I wonder as I had flown a military charter from Biggs (BIF) years ago even though my airline had ops at ELP.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Cubsrule

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:03 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
32andBelow wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Still I wonder as I had flown a military charter from Biggs (BIF) years ago even though my airline had ops at ELP.

It’s not totally mechanical (do we operate at ELP or not)? The ELP operation also needs the staff and GSE available. Were you flying a type that didn’t operate to ELP?

ThePinnacleKid

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:04 pm

FlyHossD wrote:

Because currently the runway at Biggs AAF is under renovation/rehabilitation. For a while it was only the last 4000' but supposedly now it's the entire runway last I heard... either way, my carrier switched months ago from using Biggs to ELP due to the operational issues with the runway work.
"Sonny, did we land? or were we shot down?"

FlyHossD

Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:08 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
32andBelow wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

It’s not totally mechanical (do we operate at ELP or not)? The ELP operation also needs the staff and GSE available. Were you flying a type that didn’t operate to ELP?

Yes, many of our flights to/from ELP at that time were 737s (as was the military charter I flew). Coincidentally, we used no ground equipment at Biggs; just left the APU running, loaded bags (Army duffel bags) manually and didn't need to push back after engine start. IOW, the ground equipment and personnel weren't a factor.

ThePinnacleKid wrote:
Because currently the runway at Biggs AAF is under renovation/rehabilitation. For a while it was only the last 4000' but supposedly now it's the entire runway last I heard... either way, my carrier switched months ago from using Biggs to ELP due to the operational issues with the runway work.

Ah - thank you.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos