Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Triple7Lr
Topic Author

US Carriers Considering Passenger Consolidation

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:37 am

Has this ever happened before?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/29/consoli ... osses.html

"How would service consolidation work? Take the route from New York City to St. Louis, Missouri. Right now, American, Delta and Southwest all fly the route from LaGuardia Airport to St. Louis Lambert International Airport. If the route were temporarily consolidated, all airlines would continue selling tickets on the route, but the carriers would agree to put all the passengers on one plane."

enilria

Re: US Carriers Considering Passenger Consolidation

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:47 am

It’s been illegal, so no. But it’s a lot like code share.

Jerseyguy

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:48 am

I'm sure it will just be a codeshare thing like how domestic routes are coshared with international airlines like PHL-STL might be AA 123, it might also be BA 5123 (which would only be sold as connection from an international flight). So now PHL-STL could be AA123 UA2123 DL3123

smokeybandit

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:50 am

Wouldn't that be super complicated to do on a whim?

ltbewr

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:59 am

With so few people flying, a strong CDC advisory against entering into the NYC Metro area, it might make financial sense for at least the next 4-6 weeks to do what would normally be in violation of anti-trust law.

Triple7Lr
Topic Author

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:00 am

enilria wrote:

That would be one complicated code share. That would basically eliminate competition on some routes.

BTW thanks for the weekly updates.

superjeff

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:13 am

Jerseyguy wrote:
I'm sure it will just be a codeshare thing like how domestic routes are coshared with international airlines like PHL-STL might be AA 123, it might also be BA 5123 (which would only be sold as connection from an international flight). So now PHL-STL could be AA123 UA2123 DL3123

They don't have to do that. AA, DL, and UA already have interline agreements and can sell tickets on each other. No need to go the code share route. it is just like it was before deregulation in 1978, when you could buy a round trip ticket on American LGA-STL with a return on TWA or Eastern, all on the same ticket.

rojo

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:18 am

I don't think this will be approved but if it does, it won't be codeshare, since it will take two or three months to implement with all the testing that needs to be done.

Using the current interline agreements can be a solution that will just need SPAs (Special Prorate Agreements) for each city pair. Not easy to implement but can be a solution.

tkoenig95

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:19 am

Triple7Lr wrote:
enilria wrote:

That would be one complicated code share. That would basically eliminate competition on some routes.

It doesn't seem like carriers are too worried about competition as much as staying alive. We've seen surprising and sudden changes in the last three weeks so who knows what can happen...

KD5MDK

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:04 am

superjeff wrote:
Jerseyguy wrote:

They don't have to do that. AA, DL, and UA already have interline agreements and can sell tickets on each other. No need to go the code share route. it is just like it was before deregulation in 1978, when you could buy a round trip ticket on American LGA-STL with a return on TWA or Eastern, all on the same ticket.

Interline tickets don’t help much with revenue sharing if there’s only one operator on the route.

I would assume the amount of testing for codeshares is per partner and not per flight, so it wouldn’t matter as much how many flights are partnered once you got the primary synchronization going.

Also, in emergencies things that take months normally can happen overnight sometimes. I’ve been a part of many of those.

MIflyer12

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:24 am

tkoenig95 wrote:
Triple7Lr wrote:
enilria wrote:

It doesn't seem like carriers are too worried about competition as much as staying alive. We've seen surprising and sudden changes in the last three weeks so who knows what can happen...

Their sense of urgency and indifference to providing competition doesn't change the law. That's a function of legislation.

reltney

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:31 am

Triple7Lr wrote:

"How would service consolidation work? Take the route from New York City to St. Louis, Missouri. Right now, American, Delta and Southwest all fly the route from LaGuardia Airport to St. Louis Lambert International Airport. If the route were temporarily consolidated, all airlines would continue selling tickets on the route, but the carriers would agree to put all the passengers on one plane."

Yes it has..50s-70s .it was called an “interchange service” ......a little different but the same overall . Different reason to do it but the same results..
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

reltney

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:36 am

enilria wrote:

Well, yes it has been done. It was called an interchange service. There is a different reason why it was done but the results were the same.

Sometimes the aiplanes had dual liveries. The continental/United DC-7s were the best example.. Delta had a 747 from ATL to IAD and then PanAm crews got in the delta plane and flew the IAD LHR leg on the Delta Jet. All passengers were Ticketed Delta or PanAm. Flew on it a few times.
Delta National DC-7 MSY to TPA. Many others out there.

Cheers
OUTLAW KNIVES.

lightsaber

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:41 am

ltbewr wrote:
With so few people flying, a strong CDC advisory against entering into the NYC Metro area, it might make financial sense for at least the next 4-6 weeks to do what would normally be in violation of anti-trust law.

They need an exemption. This only makes sense.

Temporary. Say 60 day authorization with an ability to extend. Although this violates union scope clauses.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

andrewying

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:41 am

It has actually been done in a similar fashion. They can just treat it as an IRROP, last-minute cancellation. My flight from GRU to ATL on DL104 on March 18th had passengers from UA and AA. DL FAs announced on the flight, welcoming UA and AA passengers.

KD5MDK

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 am

Was that pre or post CAB? Because I would say those are completely different worlds that need to be treated separately.

Woodreau

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:16 am

That’s what happed on one spirit flight from FLL to BOS.

All of the passengers were put on a JetBlue plane to Boston and the spirit crew that was supposed to operate the flight just flew on JetBlue to Boston as passengers.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

klakzky123

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:29 am

KD5MDK wrote:
Was that pre or post CAB? Because I would say those are completely different worlds that need to be treated separately.

I believe there were a few post de-regulation interchange flights but these wouldn't be interchange. Given how quickly this would need to be up and running, they would probably implement this using standard interline ticketing (where only the operating carrier's flight numbers are used) and presumably the carriers involve agree to separate proration agreements to cover settlement for these flights. Implementing codeshare would probably add complexity and make this more difficult to implement.

The issue is that in order for this to work airlines would have to coordinate on scheduling and pricing. Anti-trust law presumably wouldn't allow for such a thing so the airlines would need a temporary anti-trust exemption. And this would be different from foreign JVs where the JVs still have to compete with other airlines.

US airline consolidation means that the airlines are setting up monopoly routes so there has to be some guarantee of fair pricing and I have no idea how that would even work.

strfyr51

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:36 am

Triple7Lr wrote:

well? Since we already KNOW Southwest doesn't interline? That? I seriously doubt will happen. The other airlines mentioned? Can already write tickets on the other airlines as they have interline agreements.

eta unknown

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:23 am

rojo wrote:
Using the current interline agreements can be a solution that will just need SPAs (Special Prorate Agreements) for each city pair. Not easy to implement but can be a solution.

SPA's can't be ticketed in isolation- there needs to be an issuing carrier sector attached to make a through journey,

FCAFLYBOY

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:32 am

It seems the USA is finally seeing what has been happening across the world for (now) months and weeks, across Europe. I hope, in a few days, there are just skeleton domestic flights in the US, to maintain essential airlinks and supplies. There is NO need for anyone to be flying to take advantage of $18 one-way fare specials from FLL-LAX. If you're not an essential key worker, frontline healthcare professional or have some absolutely urgent need to travel, return home, or you're cargo, you should not be in the air at this time. Welcome to reality, signed the rest of the world.

PHLCVGAMTK

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:49 am

My first reaction to this was, there's no way even in the current emergency that DOT and DOJ would allow that level of coordination and implicit collusion. And even if they did, there's no way the pilot and FA unions would ever permit the airlines to give up their flying like that.

But then I thought about the regional carriers. There may be ways to consolidate flying on routes that are busy enough to have multiple carriers, but short and thin enough that they have no mainline flying. There are definitely some of those, and I can imagine SkyWest flying, say, RNO-LAX, or Republic flying IND-LGA, badged as two or even all three of American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United Express on the same flight. The unions probably don't care, since it's already not their flying anyway. It leaves WN and B6 in the cold, which might be irrelevant or might be a dealbreaker to DOT. OTOH, it could include AS's Skywest and Horizon flying.

However it's structured, there's no way there's a signoff without a hard cutoff at the end of the current emergency.

rojo

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:54 am

[twoid][/twoid]
eta unknown wrote:
rojo wrote:

SPA's can't be ticketed in isolation- there needs to be an issuing carrier sector attached to make a through journey,

I still think this will not be approved, but I am just saying that SPA's can be negotiated quickly if there is an interline agreement in place. Ticketing airline will normally pay service fees that need to be absorbed by operating carrier. UA, DL, AA, AS already have interline agreements between them (to protect customers during IROPS-Booked into Y within 72 hours), you just need WN to negotiate interline agreements (they have the capability to implement them now with AMADEUS Altea).

Just trying to give more context here since most here think passenger consolidation is an easy thing, In my opinion, it should not be approved but that's not my decision. I wish airlines the best during this crisis.

Charleytuna

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:02 pm

What's the point of flying all these empty planes around?

eta unknown

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Interline, FIMS and SPA's are 3 separate issues with separate conditions attached. What I'm trying to say is if hypothetically AA/DL/UA all jointly sell one LGA-ORD flight operated by AA, then DL/UA could only use an SPA if a 3rd city was involved using their own metal.
Alternatively, this scenario can only work as a codeshare arrangement.

marcelh

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:15 pm

FCAFLYBOY wrote:
It seems the USA is finally seeing what has been happening across the world for (now) months and weeks, across Europe. I hope, in a few days, there are just skeleton domestic flights in the US, to maintain essential airlinks and supplies. There is NO need for anyone to be flying to take advantage of $18 one-way fare specials from FLL-LAX. If you're not an essential key worker, frontline healthcare professional or have some absolutely urgent need to travel, return home, or you're cargo, you should not be in the air at this time. Welcome to reality, signed the rest of the world.

Finally a reasonable post. I just don’t understand why there is still a lot of domestic flying in the US. Europe is in a partial lockdown and a lot of airlines have grounded their fleets.

reltney

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:17 pm

KD5MDK wrote:

It was both pre and post CAB
OUTLAW KNIVES.

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:58 pm

This has a lot of advantages if they can make it happen.

No need to run multiple jungle/barbie jets under different logos by different regionals under different contracts, Gives lot of flexibility, better equipment, service quality, may even be environmentally friendly and fewer movements at busy airports.

One operating carrier with multiple marketing carriers means they don't need to fill seats at a deep discount.

The downside, already the US aviation is a highly capacity disciplined market, fares may go up.
All posts are just opinions.

Northwest1988

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Do you think we could see milk run routes make a comeback?

Hypothetically something like RSW-TPA-JAX-ATL?

airlineworker

Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:12 pm

Filling up one plane instead of three, means closer contact between passengers. Keeping a personal space with most seats filled is impossible.

cathay747

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:00 pm

In a somewhat twisted way, this reminds me of the old pre-deregulation "Mutual Assistance Pact" the major airlines had back in the 60's & 70's, but that was only implemented when strikes hit "member" airlines. If for example TWA were hit with a major strike, any of the other majors would accept TW pax tickets with no hassle, fly the pax, and give the revenue from the flight coupon to TW. Incredible as it seems, the accepting/flying airline in essence flew the pax for free, but of course the idea was that airline X who took that pax would someday need the favor in return. It rather neutralized the loss of revenue they'd otherwise incur from a strike, and certainly instilled pax confidence.

I'm sure they could figure out a formula to divide the operating cost of a flight to operate such a proposed pool-service.
Try a Little VC-10derness

DL717

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:07 pm

ltbewr wrote:

When it comes to aviation, our lifeblood, extreme times call for extreme measures. It would be complicated, but we have so few passengers flying around right now that a single large regional like SkyWest could support the entire system. Seriously folks. We’re under 250k pax a day in the US.

airlineworker wrote:
Filling up one plane instead of three, means closer contact between passengers. Keeping a personal space with most seats filled is impossible.

At 800 gallons of go juice per hour, this is unsustainable.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

enilria

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:24 pm

reltney wrote:
enilria wrote:

Well, yes it has been done. It was called an interchange service. There is a different reason why it was done but the results were the same.

Sometimes the aiplanes had dual liveries. The continental/United DC-7s were the best example.. Delta had a 747 from ATL to IAD and then PanAm crews got in the delta plane and flew the IAD LHR leg on the Delta Jet. All passengers were Ticketed Delta or PanAm. Flew on it a few times.
Delta National DC-7 MSY to TPA. Many others out there.

Cheers

First, there was no competition then. The industry was regulated. Price and capacity was controlled by the government. Second, what you describe is a code share in modern parlance. Not new. What is new is allowing airlines to agree not to compete. That's a problem.
Triple7Lr wrote:
enilria wrote:

That may be what prevents this. The IT side of implementing this would be insane. I don't see it happening for a short term solution. It would probably take 30-60 days just to throw together any kind of software solution. If they do this they would want this for a lengthy period.

Thanks
MIflyer12 wrote:
tkoenig95 wrote:
Triple7Lr wrote:

Their sense of urgency and indifference to providing competition doesn't change the law. That's a function of legislation.

I hope you are right, and I agree about their indifference.
dtw2hyd wrote:
One operating carrier with multiple marketing carriers means they don't need to fill seats at a deep discount.

The downside, already the US aviation is a highly capacity disciplined market, fares may go up.

The whole goal is to get fares to go up. It's not *MAY*. That's the only purpose. Also, who operates what flights? My guess is AA/DL/UA join in this, maybe with WN (although their IT is a hot mess so I don't see it). They lock out the LCCs and use this to crush them out of business, all with the blessing of the govt. Sounds great right?

masseybrown

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:32 pm

I fully expect the airlines to be given an anti-trust exemption limited in scope and duration in order to come up with reasonable schedule reductions that spread the burden.

dtw2hyd

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:40 pm

enilria wrote:
The whole goal is to get fares to go up. It's not *MAY*.

Well, if you read between lines, every airline is claiming they will reemerge as a small airline, not saying less revenue or profits.

Their revenue will be back to pre-COVID19 levels, with smaller networks and higher fares.
All posts are just opinions.

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Isn't there a fair amount of cargo, mail, etc. that needs to fly regardless of the human cargo strapped into the seats?

CRJ5000

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:01 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
enilria wrote:
The whole goal is to get fares to go up. It's not *MAY*.

Well, if you read between lines, every airline is claiming they will reemerge as a small airline, not saying less revenue or profits.

Their revenue will be back to pre-COVID19 levels, with smaller networks and higher fares.

I think you may be onto something, and I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about more. Seems to make perfect sense. All airlines are hurting, and potentially shrinking. Some may cease operations altogether eliminating some competition. Supply and demand and business logic would dictate that fares would have to go up.

MohawkWeekend

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:30 pm

I brought the issue about re-regulating the industry up a few days ago. Due to some comments the thread was shut down.
    300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

jetblueguy22

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:35 pm

I don’t think the government would be dumb enough to go after airlines for trying to consolidate and minimize the impact. It’s probably the smartest way for them to survive.

The unions may not like it, but the alternative is even worse. Flying one segment that has some passengers is a lot better than flying one empty. Minimize the hit and prevent even more cash going out the window. They can come out of this more stable than they would keeping current schedules..
    Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

jetblueguy22

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:37 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
    Isn't there a fair amount of cargo, mail, etc. that needs to fly regardless of the human cargo strapped into the seats?

Sure, but they can be accommodated on actual cargo airlines. Most of the mail doesn’t fly AA, DL, or UA anyways.

The cargo airlines are still running full schedules, if not beefed up schedules.
    Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Waterbomber2

Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:54 pm

masseybrown wrote:
    I fully expect the airlines to be given an anti-trust exemption limited in scope and duration in order to come up with reasonable schedule reductions that spread the burden.

I fully expect US airlines to be virtually grounded by the end of this week, except for government charters and a few key routes for medical personnel and equipment.

Those who really really need to fly can still hire an air taxi.

Those who really really need to get somewhere but can't afford an air taxi still have the option to drive.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:09 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
    masseybrown wrote:

I fully expect US airlines to be virtually grounded by the end of this week, except for government charters and a few key routes for medical personnel and equipment.

Those who really really need to get somewhere but can't afford an air taxi still have the option to drive.

Driving is much more likely to spread the disease than flying, so maybe not.

MohawkWeekend

Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:21 pm

Just spoke to a friend who lives on Hilton Head - said all he sees now are NY License plates. Which is freaking him out. So it's not just airplanes.
      300 319 320 321 707 717 720 727 72S 737 73S 734 735 73G 738 739 747 757 762 ARJ B11 C212 CRJ CR2 CR7 CR9 CV5 D8S DC9 D9S D94 D95 D10 DH8 DTO EMB EM2 E135 E145 E190 FH7 F28 F100 FTRIMTR HRN L10 L15 M80 M90 SF3 SWM YS11

Waterbomber2

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
      Waterbomber2 wrote:
      masseybrown wrote:

I have very strong doubts about your argument.
      Please do expand.

FlyingElvii

Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:25 pm

[/b]
      andrewying wrote:
      It has actually been done in a similar fashion. They can just treat it as an IRROP, last-minute cancellation. My flight from GRU to ATL on DL104 on March 18th had passengers from UA and AA. DL FAs announced on the flight, welcoming UA and AA passengers.

“Economic Cancellations” used to be a thing, before Congress got involved in the 90’s.
      Cancel the flight, and rule the passengers over to the next flight on another carrier. Not a big deal, they all did it. Until some Senator realized that it kept happening on his favorite USAir flight to DC.

WayexTDI

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:32 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
      masseybrown wrote:

You're kidding, right? There are some small businesses that are considered essential businesses, and that are too small to hire an air taxi (a.k.a. private jet).

jetmatt777

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:45 pm

It's an interesting idea, and if approved I don't see it being a large scale operation. It would likely just involve hub-hub flights. I.E. UA and AA agree to just let UA fly DFW-DEN and put AA pax on the UA flight, in exchange they let AA operate LAX-DFW and put all UA customers on AA, etc. To ramp it up any larger than that would be difficult to implement in such a short amount of time.

dlflynhayn

Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:49 pm

Was wondering if this is why on some days DL LAX-KOA-LAX in April are in the minus.DL currently is the only airline flying the route figured all airlines are putting there passengers on DL,would figure UA would keep a LAX flight but guess not.

usdcaguy

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:28 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
      Just spoke to a friend who lives on Hilton Head - said all he sees now are NY License plates. Which is freaking him out. So it's not just airplanes.

South Carolina has quickly become another NY South outpost. They need to implement the same measures there as they do in NY itself if they hope for any containment.

I really hope they don't let carriers coordinate capacity. All it would do would make life 10x more expensive for travelers once all the shelter-in-place policies are lifted. One thing each carrier could do, however, is expand IRROP agreements. I know DL wouldn't put anyone on AA for a long time, and UA stopped putting people on DL unless absolutely necessary. If everyone would just loosen up and get WN in on the game, the carriers could simply cancel flights as they see fit and not have to deal with so many irate passengers. Yet regardless of how much functionality WN got when they moved to Altea, I don't see them accepting people from other carriers or sending their own elsewhere, even in these circumstances.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:40 pm

Waterbomber2 wrote:
      GalaxyFlyer wrote:
      Waterbomber2 wrote:

I have very strong doubts about your argument.
      Please do expand.

Let’s see, stop for gas or meals, convenience store stops, hotels, everyone a potential face-to-face encounter.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos