Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 10242
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:41 pm

AFAIK there have not really been any station closures so far among the domestic carriers, so I thought this deserved its own thread. Apparently Niagara Falls and Plattsburg are in the New York metro area. This is who we trust for info????

Spirit Airlines will be temporarily suspending service at airports in the New York metro area starting later this week. This includes to and from airports including LaGuardia, Newark, Hartford, Niagara Falls, and Plattsburg. A Spirit Airlines official tells us they anticipate the suspension through May 4.

https://wpde.com/news/coronavirus/spiri ... -this-week
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:34 pm

Surprised they are keeping ACY up and running.
 
ordbosewr
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:30 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Surprised they are keeping ACY up and running.


Actually in the southern part of NJ, there are not many reported cases.

goto weather.com and search Atlantic city then select the Covid-19 tab, you will see they have 24 confirmed cases in total.

I live in Monmouth county and we have 870 cases. We have many people in our area that commute into NYC for work (finance folks+)
 
tphuang
Posts: 5170
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:39 am

enilria wrote:
AFAIK there have not really been any station closures so far among the domestic carriers, so I thought this deserved its own thread. Apparently Niagara Falls and Plattsburg are in the New York metro area. This is who we trust for info????

Spirit Airlines will be temporarily suspending service at airports in the New York metro area starting later this week. This includes to and from airports including LaGuardia, Newark, Hartford, Niagara Falls, and Plattsburg. A Spirit Airlines official tells us they anticipate the suspension through May 4.

https://wpde.com/news/coronavirus/spiri ... -this-week


Seems like they are looking to get out of flying from these airports and this is a convenient excuse.

So so far today, they've announced:
1) the poison pill clause
2) suspend all ny services
3) new credit line

It feels like something big is coming at NK.
 
YYZLGA
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:28 am

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:17 am

Plattsburgh is hardly surprising. Canadians are the vast majority of travellers (a bit proportion at IAG as well) and all non-essential cross-border travel is prohibited.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2494
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:44 am

Who will pick up their LGA slots?
 
umichman
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:42 am

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:49 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Who will pick up their LGA slots?


No one. It's a temporary suspension right now and the FAA has waived slot use requirements through the end of May.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4931
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:06 am

Well most of the people that use PBG are from Canada and the border is closed.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 3787
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:07 am

I think BDL would be surprised to find out they are part of the NYC metro.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15195
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:16 am

Someone did a rush job on the announcement. Likely the should have said 'all airports in the NY City Metro area and NY State'.
 
FlyDeltaJets
Posts: 1655
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:24 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 am

As someone said earlier, this suspension is likely less crew safety in COVID-19 heavy region, but more likely financial stability reasoning.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts
 
Brickell305
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:22 am

Does this preclude Spirit from getting government bailout money?
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4749
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 am

Definitely makes cents to me. Those are all money losers until demand comes back. Rather them do this exit then just cancel every single flight everyday . The slots are safe there is a waiver in place that airlines don't have to use them right now .
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1073
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:08 am

Brickell305 wrote:
Does this preclude Spirit from getting government bailout money?


I wouldn't think so, considering a lot of airlines in the USA are dramatically scaling back on domestic and international flights. It's not like these cuts are limited to NK.

Also, keep in mind that several states (including Texas and Florida) have instituted mandatory 14-day quarantine orders for residents who were recently in the New York tri-state area. So, it doesn't make much sense to have a slew of flights out of LGA/JFK/EWR/BDL. (Yes, I know Hartford isn't technically part of the NYC metro area per se, but nearby New Haven is technically considered part of the New York commuter-shed - a major Metro-North commuter rail line to New York originates in New Haven - which is why I added BDL to my comment.)
Last edited by ctrabs0114 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
UPNYGuy
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:12 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Definitely makes cents to me. Those are all money losers until demand comes back. Rather them do this exit then just cancel every single flight everyday . The slots are safe there is a waiver in place that airlines don't have to use them right now .


I would agree with this. The BDL flights that I’ve been on have alway been full. I would be surprised if those are 100% axed.
 
malev2012
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:20 am

This is just the start. I wouldn't be shocked to see other airlines suspend flights as demand plummets. The only question is who is next to cut flights?
Airlines flown: AA, AB, AC, AY, BA, CO, DL, DY, EW, F9, G4, IB, KL, LH, LX, NK, NW, NZ, OS, QF, SN, TP, UA, US, VA, VC, WN, XE
 
Jerseyguy
Posts: 2181
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:05 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 am

ordbosewr wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Surprised they are keeping ACY up and running.


Actually in the southern part of NJ, there are not many reported cases.

goto weather.com and search Atlantic city then select the Covid-19 tab, you will see they have 24 confirmed cases in total.

I live in Monmouth county and we have 870 cases. We have many people in our area that commute into NYC for work (finance folks+)


Ocean county has 750 or so with Lakewood having around 400 (its in the top 4 for cities in NJ with Corona)
 
User avatar
enilria
Topic Author
Posts: 10242
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Spirit Suspends All New York Services

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 am

FlyDeltaJets wrote:
As someone said earlier, this suspension is likely less crew safety in COVID-19 heavy region, but more likely financial stability reasoning.

Agreed, although I doubt this is something unique to these markets. The whole USA is running on fumes.
ctrabs0114 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
Does this preclude Spirit from getting government bailout money?


I wouldn't think so, considering a lot of airlines in the USA are dramatically scaling back on domestic and international flights. It's not like these cuts are limited to NK.

Also, keep in mind that several states (including Texas and Florida) have instituted mandatory 14-day quarantine orders for residents who were recently in the New York tri-state area. So, it doesn't make much sense to have a slew of flights out of LGA/JFK/EWR/BDL. (Yes, I know Hartford isn't technically part of the NYC metro area per se, but nearby New Haven is technically considered part of the New York commuter-shed - a major Metro-North commuter rail line to New York originates in New Haven - which is why I added BDL to my comment.)

The bailout language says specifically that an airline may not close stations open as of March 1, 2020. Some of these are iffy for claiming public health emergency exceeds the overall one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos