Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

berari
Topic Author

Ethiopian irregularities to Washington and Chicago today; + Miami!

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:58 am

Ethiopian's flights to Washington DC and Chicago flew nonstop from Addis Ababa, arriving earlier this morning.

What's even more interesting is that rather than the flights going back to ADD, they each flew to Miami during the day, and are currently en route to ADD nonstop from MIA.

What prompted this? What happened to the IAD-ADD and ORD-ADD passengers today?

Needless to say, ET's flight to Washington DC that departs ADD on March 30 is currently en route.

wezgulf3

Re: Ethiopian irregularities to Washington and Chicago today; + Miami!

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:01 am

Guess they were probably empty going so no need for the stop in Ireland, and maybe the addition of MIA was for repatriation?

Wes...

berari
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:09 am

wezgulf3 wrote:
Guess they were probably empty going so no need for the stop in Ireland, and maybe the addition of MIA was for repatriation?

Wes...

Fair re: no stop in Ireland. It was expected, however the part where they flew to MIA is odd. Repatriate what/who? It's two B77Ls that went ORD-MIA and IAD-MIA to then fly nonstop to ADD. Even from a crew positioning perspective it does not make sense. Bookings are open IAD-ADD and ORD-ADD all this week, we shall see what happens tomorrow.

berari
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:12 am

Found an article. Apparently the two Ethiopian flights are transporting healthy cruise ship crews:

Healthy crew members who have been stuck on the coronavirus-stricken Costa Favolosa and Costa Magica cruise ships since mid-March finally touched land in Miami Monday on their way home.

Dozens of workers were shuttled via lifeboat to PortMiami, then boarded buses bound for Miami International Airport around 9:00 a.m. One Wamos Air charter flight and two Ethiopian Air flights — both headed to Manila, Philippines — were scheduled to depart in the early afternoon but were delayed into the evening.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/busine ... 20671.html

usflyer msp

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:14 am

ET has been doing quite the charter business lately.

oceanvikram

Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:51 am

usflyer msp wrote:

The management of this airline astounds me! Brilliant move!

Get revenue where possible to breakeven and hopefully no job losses.

I reckon, since the end of the civil war, this is best run airline in the world (may not be the best airline). Kudos to the Ethiopian government.
My comments are based as an aviation enthusiast first, then as a passenger who paid for his own ticket, after that a passenger on a business trip and finally an armchair CEO.

atcsundevil

Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:49 am

Everything Ethiopian has been doing at IAD for the past two weeks has been unusual. Some days have had two or three flights, sometimes direct, sometimes via ACC, SNN, or elsewhere, sometimes as a stopover to ORD or SLC, and on a mix of 77W, 77L, 788, 789.. Very interesting to see, but clearly they've found a way to keep planes in the air and performing various missions.

bravotango75

Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:20 am

Are they still doing the Houston service? It would shock me if they were, I never understood why that route was started in the first place.

bmagee

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:06 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Everything Ethiopian has been doing at IAD for the past two weeks has been unusual. Some days have had two or three flights, sometimes direct, sometimes via ACC, SNN, or elsewhere, sometimes as a stopover to ORD or SLC, and on a mix of 77W, 77L, 788, 789.. Very interesting to see, but clearly they've found a way to keep planes in the air and performing various missions.

A lot of repatriation flights for the US government over the past two weeks. ET has the fleet and the flexibility to be able to handle it.

A388

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 am

bmagee wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:
ET has the fleet and the flexibility to be able to handle it.

In today's situation, almost every airline has the flexibility to do such flights, looking at all the airline fleets sitting idle these days so this flexibility isn't anything unique to ET alone.

A388

AF022

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:33 am

A388 wrote:
bmagee wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

In today's situation, almost every airline has the flexibility to do such flights, looking at all the airline fleets sitting idle these days so this flexibility isn't anything unique to ET alone.

A388

And thus the question would be, why can ET do this but not other airlines?

TC957

Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:53 pm

Must be a question of costs. Good on them to perform these flights at short notice. And good for us enthusiasts to catch one where they don't normally go, if you can get out to the airport !

bmagee

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:04 pm

Yeah - I would assume labor costs are quite a bit lower (seems to be the case compared to others), and the fact they are already positioned in the region where a lot of the repatriation/evacuation flights are coming from. Most of the ones going into IAD were from various spots in Africa (as noted, often making a couple of odd stops along the way). US diplomatic missions are on an Authorized Departure notice, meaning they are allowing a lot of staff members to return to the USA as global borders shut down. I knew a couple folks on the ADD-ACC-IAD flight who had been positioned in ADD from elsewhere in order to catch that one as all other commercial options were either not running or booked up. From what I've heard, there will probably be a few more over the next week.

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:23 pm

AF022 wrote:

A couple of posters have kept a running dialog of DL repatriation flights; others, LH. It's not like ET is alone in this - you just need to be paying attention.

c3000flyboy

Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:30 pm

It may also come down to employment law from which the flights are departing.
In Canada we have the "right to refuse unsafe work".
Now, while working a sked YYZ-YVR may have the risks involved in today's COVID climate, picking up a boatload of possibly sick passengers may be pushing the envelope of "unsafe". Particularly when viewed by our politicians, crew and unions.

It should be noted that flights to Canada specifically transporting cruise ship passengers to Canadian air force bases for quarentine, have not been Canadian (Kalitta, Wamos, etc.)
Emergency! Keep your head down, stay down!!

berari
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:34 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
Are they still doing the Houston service? It would shock me if they were, I never understood why that route was started in the first place.

They are still doing the Houston service. A service that makes absolute sense (minus Coronavirus.)

oceanvikram wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

The management of this airline astounds me! Brilliant move!

Get revenue where possible to breakeven and hopefully no job losses.

I reckon, since the end of the civil war, this is best run airline in the world (may not be the best airline). Kudos to the Ethiopian government.

ET is usually the last airline to leave an unstable destination, and the first one back in while others take a more cautious approach. BA for example is the first one to leave any unstable territory.

A388 wrote:
bmagee wrote:
atcsundevil wrote:

A388

Traffic rights, operational flexibility or lackthereof.

bmagee wrote:
Yeah - I would assume labor costs are quite a bit lower (seems to be the case compared to others), and the fact they are already positioned in the region where a lot of the repatriation/evacuation flights are coming from. Most of the ones going into IAD were from various spots in Africa (as noted, often making a couple of odd stops along the way). US diplomatic missions are on an Authorized Departure notice, meaning they are allowing a lot of staff members to return to the USA as global borders shut down. I knew a couple folks on the ADD-ACC-IAD flight who had been positioned in ADD from elsewhere in order to catch that one as all other commercial options were either not running or booked up. From what I've heard, there will probably be a few more over the next week.

I don't think that the labour costs mean much here, but more about availability of labour to do the work. The US State Department is funnelling its citizens via these ET operated flights out of Africa. We have seen a number of flights operated for the Mormon church, Brazilian companies getting their people out etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMCSJGb8sc

MIflyer12 wrote:
AF022 wrote:

A couple of posters have kept a running dialog of DL repatriation flights; others, LH. It's not like ET is alone in this - you just need to be paying attention.

I would love to hear about the DL and LH repatriation flights. Where do they send their aircraft to?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos