Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planesavvy

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 pm

Air Kiribati Embraer E190-E2 parked at BNE international terminal.

CraigAnderson

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 pm

Qantas Project Sunrise A350s economy class to have wider seats and more legroom?

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/sne ... 0-cockpit/

qf2220

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:42 pm

SCFlyer wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:
Yes I have seen the news, the Government has refused to inject money into VA, lots and lots of talk about VA gong under, but do you think they rely will go bust and never fly again? Do you rely think that the Government would QF be the only airline where you can bet QF will charge like a wounded bull or Australia go back to the 2 airline policy pricing? I think Virgin Australia will survive all be it much smaller, and what will happen to Tiger Air? To me Jetstar is apart of Qantas so will be no cheap flying there, I recon Virgin will survive.

Might be best for Virgin Australia to file voluntary administration, to allow them to get rid of the dead wood (namely most of the current shareholders), this will enable the administrators to research whether if its feasible to operate a 'mk 2' operation (perhaps without the Virgin name) to enable the new 'slimmed down' domestic 'VA replacement' to attract a buyer.
While also at the same time sorting out VA's financials.

Yep. The shareholdings have to go at no cost to the taxpaer.

Perhaps not an important question to some but one that I think is important, what would it call itself if it wasnt Virgin??

brucetiki

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:24 am

SCFlyer wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
Virgin could be allowed to crash for new airline

The federal government is likely to facilitate the entry of a new carrier into the domestic market, rather than bail out Virgin Australia, should the struggling airline not survive the coronavirus crisis.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/vi ... 401-p54fv6

Ryanair. The 'bogans' will sure get a wake up call if they decide to set up down under to replace VA as the 2nd carrier.

From memory Tiger were very much heading towards the Ryanair model before their grounding around 2012, and boy did the bogans hate that (as the show Airways showed on many occasions).
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video

747m8te

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:26 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas Project Sunrise A350s economy class to have wider seats and more legroom?

Well wider than the 787 and 747, so A350 seats in standard 3x3x3 config will give wider seats than the likes of the 787.
Flown on:
DHC8Q200,DHC8Q300,DHC8Q400, EMB145,E170,E175,E190, A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A380, MD80, B712,B733,B734,B737,B738,B743,B744,B744ER,B762,B763,B77W

aerohottie

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:48 am

qf2220 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:
Yes I have seen the news, the Government has refused to inject money into VA, lots and lots of talk about VA gong under, but do you think they rely will go bust and never fly again? Do you rely think that the Government would QF be the only airline where you can bet QF will charge like a wounded bull or Australia go back to the 2 airline policy pricing? I think Virgin Australia will survive all be it much smaller, and what will happen to Tiger Air? To me Jetstar is apart of Qantas so will be no cheap flying there, I recon Virgin will survive.

Might be best for Virgin Australia to file voluntary administration, to allow them to get rid of the dead wood (namely most of the current shareholders), this will enable the administrators to research whether if its feasible to operate a 'mk 2' operation (perhaps without the Virgin name) to enable the new 'slimmed down' domestic 'VA replacement' to attract a buyer.

Perhaps not an important question to some but one that I think is important, what would it call itself if it wasnt Virgin??

Ansett?
What?

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:54 am

China Airlines schedule for April

BNE - 2 weekly A359
SYD - 4 weekly A359, 3 weekly from 13 Apr 20

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... t-02apr20/
Forum Moderator

An767

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:56 am

qf2220 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:
Flyingsottsman wrote:

Perhaps the current Virgin could change it's name to the exact opposite ( starts with f & ends with d)
and the new one could be called Fresh , (Cant use the words i want too here)

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:00 am

EK413 wrote:

Qatar is introducing twice-weekly Boeing 777 freighters to Melbourne and Perth in Australia from 2nd of April.

Australia flights – read more: https://bit.ly/2X1DWu3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically its only 1 flight as it will fly DOH-SIN-MEL-PER-SIN-DOH pattern
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:04 am

The first QR flight to PER today is being operated by A359 which is the first scheduled A350 from QR to arrive to PER, its only taken them 6 years to send it here after they previously said in 2014 PER would get the A350

https://www.travelweekly.com.au/article ... atar-A350/
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:10 am

Air Canada sending the 789 to SYD for the last few days before SYD-YVR-YYZ is suspended

https://twitter.com/www16Right/status/1 ... 94594?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:12 am

Srilankan will suspend CMB-MEL for at least 2 weeks from 8-21 April 20

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/s ... 87.article
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:20 am

Nepal A332 on short finals to BNE, on a repatriation flight yesterday

https://twitter.com/BrisbaneAirport/sta ... 07200?s=20
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:28 am

Virgin CEO Paul Scurrah warns of Qantas monopoly if Virgin were to fail

https://www.afr.com/companies/transport ... 402-p54gb6
Forum Moderator

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:31 am

According to Macquarie analysts Qantas to one of a few companies to be acquired by Westfarmers

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 54gcb.html
Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:44 am

aerohottie wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Ansett?

There are some good reasons why the government shouldn’t bail out VA. A bail out of any type would in essence make the government a guarantor for VA’s existing $5 billion in debt.

If we consider the majority of this debt is with overseas institutions and the debt is secured by aircraft that will have reduced value in a fundamentally smaller market, a $1.4 billion debt saviour for VA could quickly become a $3-4 billion debt burden for the government.

If we tease out a scenario where VA was allowed to fold, 80% of the debt would be written off by institutions outside of Australia. If we consider VA already had high levels of debt, this may not be a bad thing.

With an excess of aircraft expected on the world markets, there should be plenty of opportunity for another operator to take over where VA left off. Considering VA’s airport facilities would become available, this could even allow for two - three new operators to come on line without the risks associated with access to airport infrastructure.

On the flip side, if VA was rescued by the government, I suspect a smaller VA with (5+1.4) $6.4 billion in debt would not be capable of ever paying it off.

Even though QF has similar levels of debt, it has higher cash reserves and approximately three times more revenue. Prior to the outbreak it was generating in excess of $1billion in free cash flows. On the other hand VA’s cash generation was negative.

I can’t see VA ever having the capability of paying off $6.4 billion in debt. Their transformation cost around $2billion over ten years......and we all know where that got them. The numbers associated with a VA bail out would simply result in a weaker airline that would struggle financially into the foreseeable future.

RyanairGuru

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:58 am

qf789 wrote:
According to Macquarie analysts Qantas to one of a few companies to be acquired by Westfarmers

https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 54gcb.html

Quite frankly Wesfarmers is the sort of invester that a post-adminstration Virgin would need.

Qantas would be a safer investment, but if you can acquire Virgin for pennies on the dollar and relaunch it as a simpler domestic carrier I really believe you would make a lot of money through an IPO once the economy rebounds. The underlying domestic business is sound and will be very profitable again in the future once people are travelling and businesses get through the current slump.

The remarkable turnaround of Coles would be a very good template for this. Expect a lot of ex- easyJet or JetBlue management to be attracted over (just as Coles was dominated by former Tesco and Asda management), and Wesfarmers have both the deep pockets and discipline to mould it into a viable and successful business.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

qf2220

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:49 am

These last two posts are perhaps the most logical of our discussion so far.

VirginFlyer

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:54 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Great video of the avionics bay there. I imagine it must get pretty warm inside there! It may be the wide-angle lens distorting things a bit, but the hatch to the avionics bay being hinged inboard rather than outboard looks really crazy - someone must have been feeling particularly sadistic when they decided to go for that particular design decision.

Interesting the article seems to completely ignore the existence of COVID-19 and assumes all will be normal operations in 2021. Geoffrey Thomas doesn't post here under the username VV does he? :duck:

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

DavidByrne

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:49 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
Interesting the article seems to completely ignore the existence of COVID-19 and assumes all will be normal operations in 2021. Geoffrey Thomas doesn't post here under the username VV does he?

It's clear that many aviation commentators are not at all tuned to the economics, politics or human psychology of the present situation. I saw one interview with an "aviation expert" at the University of West London yesterday who expressed a confident view that air travel during the northern summer next year would be back to "record" levels. Even the interviewer was quite taken aback. I doubt many people will be prepared to go on a long-haul flight before there's a vaccine to protect them from fellow passengers and crew, let alone from the populations of the country that they'll be arriving at. Even short-haul flights will be a gamble, especially in Europe where it will take time for people to rebuild confidence IMHO.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

CraigAnderson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:53 am

More cutbacks as airlines rush to save money.

Coronavirus: Qantas switches off inflight WiFi
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... light-wifi

Qantas, Virgin Australia cut inflight meals and drinks
https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... and-drinks

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:01 am

American Airlines has pushed back return date of SYD-LAX to 23 Oct 20

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... y-auckland
Forum Moderator

JRPLANES

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:06 am

Switzerland airline Edelweiss Air has an Airbus a340 plane on approach to Australia. Flight WK2000, rego HB-JMF

Anyone know which city it's going to?

JRPLANES

CraigAnderson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:13 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Quite frankly Wesfarmers is the sort of invester that a post-adminstration Virgin would need.

Qantas would be a safer investment, but if you can acquire Virgin for pennies on the dollar and relaunch it as a simpler domestic carrier I really believe you would make a lot of money through an IPO once the economy rebounds. The underlying domestic business is sound and will be very profitable again in the future once people are travelling and businesses get through the current slump.

The remarkable turnaround of Coles would be a very good template for this. Expect a lot of ex- easyJet or JetBlue management to be attracted over (just as Coles was dominated by former Tesco and Asda management), and Wesfarmers have both the deep pockets and discipline to mould it into a viable and successful business.

Agree 100%. Qantas is safer but Virgin has way more headroom if you snap it up at a bargain basement price. Wesfarmers could wait for VA go into administration and then sweep in with a 'save the airline, keep two-carrier competition, get rid of foreign ownership' play, or just walk into Scurrah's office and make a sweetheart deal to get this all rolling. Wesfarmers could guarantee a lot of business by making Virgin the preferred airline for all Wesfamers staff and only fly Qantas if it's a route not covered by Virgin.

And does Australia really need a new Virgin to be a full-service airline? Wesfarmers could rip out the business class seats, put in extra-legroom economy or a flexible European business class cabin which uses normal economy seats, adopt an NZ-style 'seats to suit' model, and close the airport lounges. Really make it like an Aussie easyJet.

SCFlyer

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:16 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Agree 100%. Qantas is safer but Virgin has way more headroom if you snap it up at a bargain basement price. Wesfarmers could wait for VA go into administration and then sweep in with a 'save the airline, keep two-carrier competition, get rid of foreign ownership' play, or just walk into Scurrah's office and make a sweetheart deal to get this all rolling. Wesfarmers could guarantee a lot of business by making Virgin the preferred airline for all Wesfamers staff and only fly Qantas if it's a route not covered by Virgin.

And does Australia really need a new Virgin to be a full-service airline? Wesfarmers could rip out the business class seats, put in extra-legroom economy or a flexible European business class cabin which uses normal economy seats, adopt an NZ-style 'seats to suit' model, and close the airport lounges. Really make it like an Aussie easyJet.

A VA replacement may not necessarily be called 'Virgin' for that matter. For example, If Westfarmers made a 'bid' for a post-administration 'Virgin Australia' identity, it's likely Westfarmers will brand the airline something else so they don't have to pay the bearded bloke licensing fees.

qf789

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:33 am

A breakdown of what will be included in the 44.5 tonnes of freight on Fiji Airways A359 to SYD on Sunday

https://twitter.com/FijiAirways/status/ ... 99008?s=20
Forum Moderator

VirginFlyer

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:39 am

qf789 wrote:
A breakdown of what will be included in the 44.5 tonnes of freight on Fiji Airways A359 to SYD on Sunday

Mmmmm Taro :cheerful:

Is this the new Icelandair and fish?

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

SCFlyer

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:43 am

Scurrah basically admitted in the ABC interview that their main foreign shareholders have financial troubles of their own and won't be putting in the capital into VA for the foreseeable future.

Also to add to RB's inaction, is it safe to say that "voluntary administration" for VA is inevitable?

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/a ... l/12117280

CraigAnderson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:44 am

SCFlyer wrote:
A VA replacement may not necessarily be called 'Virgin' for that matter. For example, If Westfarmers made a 'bid' for a post-administration 'Virgin Australia' identity, it's likely Westfarmers will brand the airline something else so they don't have to pay the bearded bloke licensing fees.

Some paintwork and rebranding is probably cheaper than Virgin licensing fees. Does anybody know what those fees are, anyway? They can't be cheap!

Chipmunk1973

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:56 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Great video of the avionics bay there. I imagine it must get pretty warm inside there! It may be the wide-angle lens distorting things a bit, but the hatch to the avionics bay being hinged inboard rather than outboard looks really crazy - someone must have been feeling particularly sadistic when they decided to go for that particular design decision. V/F

It is very slick for what is, for all intents and purposes, a data centre. The heat is an interesting thought though. The biggest culprits are usually the power supply units. But most items in there apart from the flight management computers seem relatively small.

VirginFlyer wrote:

Interesting the article seems to completely ignore the existence of COVID-19 and assumes all will be normal operations in 2021. Geoffrey Thomas doesn't post here under the username VV does he? :duck:

V/F

Harsh but funny. :D

I’m not in the least bit surprised that it is suggested that QF will acquire more 350’s, eventually. Yes, CV19 will have long lasting effects on the industry, something many people seem to either forget or blatantly ignore. However in 5+ years time I can foresee QF planning on an A380 replacement. Personally I’m wondering how they’ll the fleet will look. If we believe that they’ll take up to 12 x A350-1000LRs for PS, plus another 12 x 350-1000s as a one for one replacement of the 380, that brings us to 24.

Would they be split as two sub fleets? 12 @ 270-280 PAX in 4 classes for ULH and 12 @ 330-340 PAX in 3 or 4 classes for LH?
Cheers,
C1973

B707, B717, B727, B734, B737, B738, B743, B77W, A300, A320, A332, A333, A339, A388, BAe146, Cessna 206.

Milesdependent

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:00 am

Maybe they can rebrand as Ansett! Wonder who owns that trademark now.

zkncj

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:14 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
qf789 wrote:

Mmmmm Taro :cheerful:

Is this the new Icelandair and fish?

V/F

Has Qantas or Virgin started any freight only flights with there widebodies yet?

Surely would make some sense to bring some revenue and return in or is VA’s 77W all now just losing money?

NZ has started sending up 4x daily 789’s to China a day on cargo only flights, surely it would be a way for VA to get some revenue.

anstar

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:21 am

Maybe this will open the door for someone like Air Asia to set up shop in Aus?

VirginFlyer

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:25 am

Milesdependent wrote:
Maybe they can rebrand as Ansett! Wonder who owns that trademark now.

I just posted this in the Virgin Australia thread:

There are 10 Ansett trademarks currently registered in Australia: https://search.ipaustralia.gov.au/trade ... t?q=Ansett

• The trademark Ansett Australia, Ansett Aviation Training and A Ansett Aviation Training (that's with the A logo), all in Class 41 (Education; providing of training; entertainment; sporting and cultural activities.), are owned by Ansett Aviation Training: https://www.ansettaviationtraining.com/
  • The trademark Ansett in Classes 12 (Vehicles; apparatus for locomotion by land, air or water.) and 35 (Advertising; business management; business administration; office functions.) is owned by Ansett Australia Limited, which is the remains of the airline in administration. The trademark was last renewed in June 2011 and is due for renewal in June 2021.
  • The trademarks Ansett, Ansett Gold, Tradewinds by Ansett, Landline Workwear by Ansett, and Ansett Merino Collection, all in Class 25 (Clothing, footwear, headwear.), are all owned by Rasiner Holdings Pty Ltd and Ash Demons Holdings Pty Ltd.
  • The trademark A Ansett Real Estate We Bring You What You Dream in Class 36 (Insurance; financial affairs; monetary affairs; real estate affairs.) is owned by Ansett Real Estate Pty Ltd

V/F

qf2048

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:44 am

waoz1 wrote:
QF ends fflyer partnership with Air North

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... h-airnorth

As mentioned in the article QF will continue to codeshare on selected routes.
Wasn't airnorth, or their owners, already in financial trouble?
ZL,QF,KE,BA,AS,CX,FR,U2,W6,EI,IB,JL,AY,LH,AA,AC,FQ,DJ,JQ,LA,FJ,QS,NZ,NF,SB,PG,EK,AB,VA,MH,KA,VN

cam747

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:05 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

Some paintwork and rebranding is probably cheaper than Virgin licensing fees. Does anybody know what those fees are, anyway? They can't be cheap!

It’s no longer disclosed, but up to 2015 (the last time it was in the accounts) it was about $10m p.a.

Flyingsottsman

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:18 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:

Qatar is introducing twice-weekly Boeing 777 freighters to Melbourne and Perth in Australia from 2nd of April.

Australia flights – read more: https://bit.ly/2X1DWu3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technically its only 1 flight as it will fly DOH-SIN-MEL-PER-SIN-DOH pattern

Great to see more freighters on the ground at Melbourne.

CraigAnderson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:20 am

anstar wrote:
Maybe this will open the door for someone like Air Asia to set up shop in Aus?

Please no, I can abide by low-cost but there are still limits...

CraigAnderson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 am

cam747 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

It’s no longer disclosed, but up to 2015 (the last time it was in the accounts) it was about $10m p.a.

$10m per year? Okay, a rebranding is sounding better and better.

Flyingsottsman

Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:22 am

qf789 wrote:

I am afraid every body can see that, and if that does happen watch Qantas go back to Sydney Airlines again. Lets hope Virgin does survive in some form or another.

JQ321

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:28 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
qf789 wrote:

I am afraid every body can see that, and if that does happen watch Qantas go back to Sydney Airlines again. Lets hope Virgin does survive in some form or another.

Let's not hope virgin survives. The whole virgin brand is from a bygone era. We need a new second or even third airline. Virgin is not a great airline unless it morphs into something new without the virgin branding it won't thrive as a second airline in Australia should.

Flanker7

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am

KLM is sending a 777-200 to SYD as we speak to pick up stranded pax. There will be a few more flights the next coming days. Routing will be AMS-KUL-SYD.
Flying blue only if possible

qf002

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:00 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:

QF's recent innovation and growth has had nothing to do with VA.

I think VA needs a controlled death with a phoenix rising out of its ashes. If anything, I would have thought QF would be arguing for the survival of the dysfunctional VA rather than facing the treat of the much leaner, more effective competitor which would inevitably fill the void (whether now or later on).

n251ay

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:33 am

Has anybody been able to catch the Edelweiss A340-300 HB-JMF that has just landed in SYD?

JRPLANES

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:34 am

JRPLANES wrote:
Switzerland airline Edelweiss Air has an Airbus a340 plane on approach to Australia. Flight WK5000, rego HB-JMF

JRPLANES

Landed at SYD a few minutes ago (at 8:24pm)

DE8896 (third visit from Condor) currently on approach to MEL

JRPLANES

SCFlyer

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:45 am

Been reported through multiple other forums that VA had just closed transfers of points from Velocity to KrisFlyer.
Unsure if the other way is still open or not.

TBH, I'm more surprised it the Velocity > Krisflyer transfers has lasted this long since the Covid-19 Pandemic started.

eta unknown

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 am

JRPLANES wrote:
Switzerland airline Edelweiss Air has an Airbus a340 plane on approach to Australia. Flight WK2000, rego HB-JMF

JRPLANES

Edelweiss landed in SYD. Can't see it on the departure boards for today/tomorrow.

eta unknown

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:51 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Been reported through multiple other forums that VA had just closed transfers of points from Velocity to KrisFlyer.
Unsure if the other way is still open or not.

TBH, I'm more surprised it the Velocity > Krisflyer transfers has lasted this long since the Covid-19 Pandemic started.

I was waiting for that- phew, got in just in time!

n251ay

Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 am

eta unknown wrote:
JRPLANES wrote:

JRPLANES

Edelweiss landed in SYD. Can't see it on the departure boards for today/tomorrow.

Will depart around 1600 tomorrow (04APR). Would love to see pictures in case some spotters are still out :-)

CraigAnderson

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:20 am

Qantas, Virgin Australia to mount repatriation flights to LHR, LAX, HKG and AKL

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ng-kong-nz

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos