Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 24
 
User avatar
a36001
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:40 pm

The is a LH A380 heading to AKL as LH9918 and a 747 heading to CHC as LH9880
What do they get all the good ones? We only get boring 777’s from KLM!
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2805
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:52 pm

Well back in the day you used to get LH 744's into SYD/MEL on a regular basis lol
You also got an Edelweiss A340 in SYD in addition to the KLM Asia 772.

Note: I'm wondering if the southbound mysterious 767-224 is Omni
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5527
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:04 pm

a36001 wrote:
The is a LH A380 heading to AKL as LH9918 and a 747 heading to CHC as LH9880
What do they get all the good ones? We only get boring 777’s from KLM!

That’s the 2nd consecutive day LH send an A380 to AKL & B747 to CHC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
zkncj
Posts: 3817
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:11 pm

EK413 wrote:
a36001 wrote:
The is a LH A380 heading to AKL as LH9918 and a 747 heading to CHC as LH9880
What do they get all the good ones? We only get boring 777’s from KLM!

That’s the 2nd consecutive day LH send an A380 to AKL & B747 to CHC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that is planned to happen for at least the next week!
With 16,000 Germans stuck in New Zealand it’s an massive effort to get them home.

It was probably an bit essay for people to exit Australia, than New Zealand.
 
VHZNE
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:35 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Well back in the day you used to get LH 744's into SYD/MEL on a regular basis lol
You also got an Edelweiss A340 in SYD in addition to the KLM Asia 772.

Note: I'm wondering if the southbound mysterious 767-224 is Omni


Sure is Omni. Believe the aircraft is N522AX.
 
TaniTaniwha
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:04 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:39 pm

zkncj wrote:

It was probably an bit essay for people to exit Australia, than New Zealand.


Why would you say that?
[photoid][/photoid][photoid][/photoid]
 
User avatar
Goodbye
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:41 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Surprised to see CI, CZ, CX, NH and many others still operating into Australia. Who is on those flights??
✈︎
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5527
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:07 pm

zkncj wrote:
EK413 wrote:
a36001 wrote:
The is a LH A380 heading to AKL as LH9918 and a 747 heading to CHC as LH9880
What do they get all the good ones? We only get boring 777’s from KLM!

That’s the 2nd consecutive day LH send an A380 to AKL & B747 to CHC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that is planned to happen for at least the next week!
With 16,000 Germans stuck in New Zealand it’s an massive effort to get them home.

It was probably an bit essay for people to exit Australia, than New Zealand.

That was going to be my next question.

Enormous effort to get them out of NZ & back home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Fuling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 pm

EK413 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
EK413 wrote:
That’s the 2nd consecutive day LH send an A380 to AKL & B747 to CHC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And that is planned to happen for at least the next week!
With 16,000 Germans stuck in New Zealand it’s an massive effort to get them home.

It was probably an bit essay for people to exit Australia, than New Zealand.

That was going to be my next question.

Enormous effort to get them out of NZ & back home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


In addition to all the LH aircraft, NZ had a flight routed CHC-YVR-FRA on a B77W. Flight NZ1952.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1733
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:47 pm

a36001 wrote:
The is a LH A380 heading to AKL as LH9918 and a 747 heading to CHC as LH9880
What do they get all the good ones? We only get boring 777’s from KLM!

At least we got Condor now & plenty other varieties during better days.

Michael
 
A350OZ
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:00 am

Fuling wrote:
EK413 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
And that is planned to happen for at least the next week!
With 16,000 Germans stuck in New Zealand it’s an massive effort to get them home.

It was probably an bit essay for people to exit Australia, than New Zealand.

That was going to be my next question.

Enormous effort to get them out of NZ & back home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


In addition to all the LH aircraft, NZ had a flight routed CHC-YVR-FRA on a B77W. Flight NZ1952.


There were (and still are going to be) daily flights with NZ 77Ws from AKL and CHC via YVR to FRA, all chartered by the German Foreign Ministry I believe. In addition to the dozen or so LH flights running via BKK. A huge logistical effort, and just amazing how many Germans are travelling in New Zealand at any given point in time.
 
Fuling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:10 am

A350OZ wrote:
Fuling wrote:
EK413 wrote:
That was going to be my next question.

Enormous effort to get them out of NZ & back home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


In addition to all the LH aircraft, NZ had a flight routed CHC-YVR-FRA on a B77W. Flight NZ1952.


There were (and still are going to be) daily flights with NZ 77Ws from AKL and CHC via YVR to FRA, all chartered by the German Foreign Ministry I believe. In addition to the dozen or so LH flights running via BKK. A huge logistical effort, and just amazing how many Germans are travelling in New Zealand at any given point in time.


Incredible effort indeed! According to the LH repatriation thread, the LH flights are a carrying nationals from several EU countries, and was a collaborative effort by Germany, and with the likes of France and Belgium.
 
moa999
Posts: 928
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:37 am

On one of the news last night was a piece with an Australian in Cambodia who said there were 250 Australians stuck there (Cambodian borders were closed before Govt issued come home recommendation) so embassy looking at direct flight.
 
CHCalfonzo
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:12 am

Goodbye wrote:
Surprised to see CI, CZ, CX, NH and many others still operating into Australia. Who is on those flights??


The CX flights are carrying freight only, using the original passenger flight numbers.
 
ArtV
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:24 am

moa999 wrote:
On one of the news last night was a piece with an Australian in Cambodia who said there were 250 Australians stuck there (Cambodian borders were closed before Govt issued come home recommendation) so embassy looking at direct flight.


The Cambodian borders were closed well after the Australian Government issued the come home recommendation...people just didn't process the severity fast enough as the Cambodian government was in denial about the Virus for a long time. There were still flights via BKK and other countries until just recently. But, let's not let facts get in the road of a good story.

(Written as an Australian in Asia at present, and have been watching the Embassy/Consulate advices and repatriation matters around here for Australians)
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11105
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:59 am

FJ has positioned A330's to BNE and SYD today for parking while Fiji rides out Tropical Cyclone Harold

https://twitter.com/FijiAirways/status/ ... 49056?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11105
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:06 am

For the month of April Scoot will operate to PER, 3 weekly 789

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-06apr20/
Forum Moderator
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1733
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:20 am

CHCalfonzo wrote:
Goodbye wrote:
Surprised to see CI, CZ, CX, NH and many others still operating into Australia. Who is on those flights??


The CX flights are carrying freight only, using the original passenger flight numbers.

Same goes for all direct flights to Mainland China, including MF, CZ, MU & QF (yes they've reinstated QF129/30) except once weekly each on CZ and MU.

Michael
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5527
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:43 am

Qantas will resume International services for approximately 4 weeks commencing Thursday 9th of April.

BRISBANE
1 x BNEAKL Day 1 & 7
1 x BNEHKG Day 3 & 6
1 x BNELAX Day 4

MELBOURNE
1 x MELAKL Day 3 & 5
1 x MELHKG Day 1
1 x MELPER Day 7

PERTH
1 x PERLHR Day 7
1 x PERMEL Day 4

LONDON
1 x LHRPER Day 3

AUCKLAND
1 x AKLBNE Day 1 & 5
1 x AKLMEL Day 3 & 7

LOS ANGELES
1 x LAXBNE Day 6

HONG KONG
1 x HKGBNE Day 3 & 6
1 x HKGMEL Day 1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11105
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:23 pm

Airports including SYD, BNE, MEL and CBR have accused Qantas of looking after itself after the airline wrote to airports telling them that Qantas would not be paying rents on airport offices and lounges from 1 February and would defer payments of aeronautical fees. The letter added the payment of aeronautical fees for February and March would not be paid until the crisis was over.

From Australian Airport Association

Australian Airports Association acting CEO Simon Bourke said it was “sad to hear Australia’s biggest airline was using the coronavirus crisis to look out only for itself”.

“A company that is sharing in $1bn in government support for airlines must not refuse to meet its basic obligations to others in the industry,” Mr Bourke said.

“Failure to do so puts jobs at risk across the aviation industry.”

He said aeronautical fees charged by airports had already been collected from the airline in the fares charged to passengers.

“There is no justification for any delay in paying airports for the services they have used and profited from,” Mr Bourke said.

“Airports use these funds for services like security and runway maintenance which must go ahead whether there is one flight a day or 100. The vast majority of airlines recognise that now is the time for partnership and solidarity and we are calling on anyone who doesn’t to rethink their approach.”


From BNE CEO

“It’s very disappointing the biggest player in the industry is taking a different approach,” said Mr de Graaff.

“Airports don’t have the luxury of being able to ‘hibernate’ their businesses. We need to keep our airfields and terminals operating so that repatriation flights can bring Australians home, emergency flights can land and freight can continue to be moved.”


https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... J57bHGz5Ec

Does this sound familiar? Im guessing there are more law suits to come, maybe a class action. It was only a week ago that Qantas CEO argued the case of Virgin not receiving federal money as it would not level the playing field. So can Virgin now not pay their rents or aeronautical fees as well. There is a double standard here and think Qantas needs to be careful here. Its one thing to argue about high costs, its another to to take things into your own hands. Given that the government stimulus package was to reimburse aeronautical fees, fees that would have been collected by Qantas upon selling tickets, why have these fees not be paid?
Forum Moderator
 
timtam
Posts: 303
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:42 pm

Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2805
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:18 pm

Does anyone remember the PR disaster SYD Airport had years back in demanding rent from tenants in the AN terminal after AN (the sole carrier at now Terminal 2) collapsed?
 
travelhound
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:21 pm

timtam wrote:
Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.


Airports have to provide a minimum level of service regardless of how many passengers pass through their gates.

It would be a very difficult situation if all of the airlines decided not to pay airport fees.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8275
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 pm

timtam wrote:
Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.


Exactly. Be it the large shopping centre operators, residential investers, and now apparently airports, I'm sick and tired of hearing landlords whinging. I have zero sympathy for them, regardless of what sector they are in.

The PM said that landlords and tenants should sit down and talk these things out, and he was initially reluctant to regulate the rental market. I agree with this approach, I'd much rather people actually applied some common sense rather than creating new regulations. Unfortunately the landlords refused to act in good faith, so will get the regulations they deserve. I fully support any tenant going rogue at this time.

Before I am accused of blindly defending Qantas, Virgin Australia and every other airline flying to Australia should do the same in my opinion. In additional to their own financial distress being sufficient grounds to reject or defer rental payments in the current environment, IMHO there will also be long-term benefits for the airlines if they do. This is a once in a century opportunity to really turn the screws on the airport industry, which has been sitting far too pretty for too long, to the detriment of pretty much everyone else.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 8275
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:45 pm

EK413 wrote:
Qantas will resume International services for approximately 4 weeks commencing Thursday 9th of April.

BRISBANE
1 x BNEAKL Day 1 & 7
1 x BNEHKG Day 3 & 6
1 x BNELAX Day 4

MELBOURNE
1 x MELAKL Day 3 & 5
1 x MELHKG Day 1
1 x MELPER Day 7

PERTH
1 x PERLHR Day 7
1 x PERMEL Day 4

LONDON
1 x LHRPER Day 3

AUCKLAND
1 x AKLBNE Day 1 & 5
1 x AKLMEL Day 3 & 7

LOS ANGELES
1 x LAXBNE Day 6

HONG KONG
1 x HKGBNE Day 3 & 6
1 x HKGMEL Day 1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's slightly misleading as they are not really "resuming" normal services. The repatriation flights are effectively charters for the Australian government rather than regular scheduled flights.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
openskies88
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:53 pm

Virgin Australia will operate a charter from Brisbane to Auckland, Hong Kong and Paris on the B777 commencing this Saturday:

Saturday 11th April
VA9940 BNE-AKL
VA9015 AKL-HKG

Sunday 12th April
VA9015 HKG-CDG
VA9941 CDG-HKG

Tuesday 14th April
VA16 HKG-BNE
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5527
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:59 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:
Qantas will resume International services for approximately 4 weeks commencing Thursday 9th of April.

BRISBANE
1 x BNEAKL Day 1 & 7
1 x BNEHKG Day 3 & 6
1 x BNELAX Day 4

MELBOURNE
1 x MELAKL Day 3 & 5
1 x MELHKG Day 1
1 x MELPER Day 7

PERTH
1 x PERLHR Day 7
1 x PERMEL Day 4

LONDON
1 x LHRPER Day 3

AUCKLAND
1 x AKLBNE Day 1 & 5
1 x AKLMEL Day 3 & 7

LOS ANGELES
1 x LAXBNE Day 6

HONG KONG
1 x HKGBNE Day 3 & 6
1 x HKGMEL Day 1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


That's slightly misleading as they are not really "resuming" normal services. The repatriation flights are effectively charters for the Australian government rather than regular scheduled flights.


Qantas grounded all International services & this is resumption of limited services in accordance with the Australian government.

“Qantas is operating International repatriation charters for approximately 4 weeks on the B789 commencing Thursday 9th of April”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
Qantas16
Posts: 756
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:56 pm

qf789 wrote:
Airports including SYD, BNE, MEL and CBR have accused Qantas of looking after itself after the airline wrote to airports telling them that Qantas would not be paying rents on airport offices and lounges from 1 February and would defer payments of aeronautical fees. The letter added the payment of aeronautical fees for February and March would not be paid until the crisis was over.

From Australian Airport Association

Australian Airports Association acting CEO Simon Bourke said it was “sad to hear Australia’s biggest airline was using the coronavirus crisis to look out only for itself”.

“A company that is sharing in $1bn in government support for airlines must not refuse to meet its basic obligations to others in the industry,” Mr Bourke said.

“Failure to do so puts jobs at risk across the aviation industry.”

He said aeronautical fees charged by airports had already been collected from the airline in the fares charged to passengers.

“There is no justification for any delay in paying airports for the services they have used and profited from,” Mr Bourke said.

“Airports use these funds for services like security and runway maintenance which must go ahead whether there is one flight a day or 100. The vast majority of airlines recognise that now is the time for partnership and solidarity and we are calling on anyone who doesn’t to rethink their approach.”


From BNE CEO

“It’s very disappointing the biggest player in the industry is taking a different approach,” said Mr de Graaff.

“Airports don’t have the luxury of being able to ‘hibernate’ their businesses. We need to keep our airfields and terminals operating so that repatriation flights can bring Australians home, emergency flights can land and freight can continue to be moved.”


https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... J57bHGz5Ec

Does this sound familiar? Im guessing there are more law suits to come, maybe a class action. It was only a week ago that Qantas CEO argued the case of Virgin not receiving federal money as it would not level the playing field. So can Virgin now not pay their rents or aeronautical fees as well. There is a double standard here and think Qantas needs to be careful here. Its one thing to argue about high costs, its another to to take things into your own hands. Given that the government stimulus package was to reimburse aeronautical fees, fees that would have been collected by Qantas upon selling tickets, why have these fees not be paid?


Qantas is a bully and have gotten away with it for a long time. If I were the airport corporation, I would look at ways to shut down operations that QF now isn't paying for - close the Qantas end of the domestic terminal, stop staffing security at the Qantas end etc... if QF doesn't want to pay for it, then take it away from them.

It is one thing if QF was completely out of business, but they are still operating and should be expected to pay accordingly. Should they get to pay reduced rent? Probably, but they can't hold the airport hostage in order to get it.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:58 pm

travelhound wrote:
timtam wrote:
Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.


Airports have to provide a minimum level of service regardless of how many passengers pass through their gates.

It would be a very difficult situation if all of the airlines decided not to pay airport fees.

It is weird how the airports haven't sought to minimise their costs. Airports such as SIN and LHR have responded by closing terminals. If I was Lyall Strambi at MEL, I would have closed everything except T2. There is an agreed process for domestic travel out of international terminals and there is plenty of gate capacity given the ridiculously low level of both domestic and international activity.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
ArtV
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:14 am

tullamarine wrote:
travelhound wrote:
timtam wrote:
Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.


Airports have to provide a minimum level of service regardless of how many passengers pass through their gates.

It would be a very difficult situation if all of the airlines decided not to pay airport fees.

It is weird how the airports haven't sought to minimise their costs. Airports such as SIN and LHR have responded by closing terminals. If I was Lyall Strambi at MEL, I would have closed everything except T2. There is an agreed process for domestic travel out of international terminals and there is plenty of gate capacity given the ridiculously low level of both domestic and international activity.


Mixing international arrivals, who may have Covid-19 and are required to go into compulsory quarantine, with domestic arrivals....not necessarily something that is good practice.

Maybe just keep T2 and T4....the lounges don't matter any more, so using T4 for all domestic flights wont really have that much of an impact on services. (Maybe not practical....but a thought, nonetheless).
 
travelhound
Posts: 2008
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:16 am

tullamarine wrote:
travelhound wrote:
timtam wrote:
Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.


Airports have to provide a minimum level of service regardless of how many passengers pass through their gates.

It would be a very difficult situation if all of the airlines decided not to pay airport fees.

It is weird how the airports haven't sought to minimise their costs. Airports such as SIN and LHR have responded by closing terminals. If I was Lyall Strambi at MEL, I would have closed everything except T2. There is an agreed process for domestic travel out of international terminals and there is plenty of gate capacity given the ridiculously low level of both domestic and international activity.


Interesting, I think part of the problem revolves around the carrier's leasing / owning gates, whilst at the same time having to pay for airport services.

If the carrier's / airport had adopted a multi-user gate model the airport would only receive incomes when the gate is used. As the carrier's have leased the gates for exclusive use they take on the risk when events like this occur.

With airports typically recording profits in the 50-80% of incomes, I am not surprised QANTAS see them as a source to save money.

.....at the same time, business is business. QANTAS negotiated the commercial terms with the airports. As with all commercial transactions each party takes on a element if risk.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1949
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
timtam wrote:
Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.


Exactly. Be it the large shopping centre operators, residential investers, and now apparently airports, I'm sick and tired of hearing landlords whinging. I have zero sympathy for them, regardless of what sector they are in.

The PM said that landlords and tenants should sit down and talk these things out, and he was initially reluctant to regulate the rental market. I agree with this approach, I'd much rather people actually applied some common sense rather than creating new regulations. Unfortunately the landlords refused to act in good faith, so will get the regulations they deserve. I fully support any tenant going rogue at this time.

Before I am accused of blindly defending Qantas, Virgin Australia and every other airline flying to Australia should do the same in my opinion. In additional to their own financial distress being sufficient grounds to reject or defer rental payments in the current environment, IMHO there will also be long-term benefits for the airlines if they do. This is a once in a century opportunity to really turn the screws on the airport industry, which has been sitting far too pretty for too long, to the detriment of pretty much everyone else.


Im fine with a rental discussion happening between the airports and airlines however the particularly galling part of this to me is the refusal to pay for services associated with flights already flown in Feb and March. This is in my view unreasonable and potentially a breach of contract.
 
ABpositive
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:36 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:57 am

eamondzhang wrote:
CHCalfonzo wrote:
Goodbye wrote:
Surprised to see CI, CZ, CX, NH and many others still operating into Australia. Who is on those flights??


The CX flights are carrying freight only, using the original passenger flight numbers.

Same goes for all direct flights to Mainland China, including MF, CZ, MU & QF (yes they've reinstated QF129/30) except once weekly each on CZ and MU.

Michael


Looking at Flightradar24, these are often using passanger planes for the cargo operations. Is the cargo stowed only in the belly or on seats as well?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3817
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:58 am

openskies88 wrote:
Virgin Australia will operate a charter from Brisbane to Auckland, Hong Kong and Paris on the B777 commencing this Saturday:

Saturday 11th April
VA9940 BNE-AKL
VA9015 AKL-HKG

Sunday 12th April
VA9015 HKG-CDG
VA9941 CDG-HKG

Tuesday 14th April
VA16 HKG-BNE


Freight charter? Or French repartition flight? Seems like an very odd route.
 
calt03
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:14 am

zkncj wrote:
openskies88 wrote:
Virgin Australia will operate a charter from Brisbane to Auckland, Hong Kong and Paris on the B777 commencing this Saturday:

Saturday 11th April
VA9940 BNE-AKL
VA9015 AKL-HKG

Sunday 12th April
VA9015 HKG-CDG
VA9941 CDG-HKG

Tuesday 14th April
VA16 HKG-BNE


Freight charter? Or French repartition flight? Seems like an very odd route.



I would hazard a guess and say it's multipurpose. Freight (inb/outb), people (in OZ/outb FR)
 
VHZNE
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:22 am

ABpositive wrote:
eamondzhang wrote:
CHCalfonzo wrote:

The CX flights are carrying freight only, using the original passenger flight numbers.

Same goes for all direct flights to Mainland China, including MF, CZ, MU & QF (yes they've reinstated QF129/30) except once weekly each on CZ and MU.

Michael


Looking at Flightradar24, these are often using passanger planes for the cargo operations. Is the cargo stowed only in the belly or on seats as well?


Bit of both, really depends on the airline. Typically freight in the pax cabin is only if it’s urgent or medical equipment but varies from each operator.
 
Tankdiver
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:07 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:27 am

Virgin Australia flight VA7 flown by VH-VPD is on the way to LAX. I'm on her all day for MX once she's here. I'll get some photos up.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Posts: 11105
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:38 am

The next KLM repatriation flight is about an hour out of SYD
Forum Moderator
 
JRPLANES
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:44 am

Just spotted a Suparna Airlines cargo flight approaching Australia from Wuhan. Rego B-1340

Flight Y87447 from Wuhan
https://fr24.com/YZR7447/24555538

EDIT: Somehow fr24 can't seem to recognise the flight number via this link :oops:

Anyone know which airport it's going to?
Last edited by JRPLANES on Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
moa999
Posts: 928
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:48 am

 
JRPLANES
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:52 am

moa999 wrote:


Thanks

Also spotted 2 SQ Cargo flights approaching Sydney tonight

JRPLANES
 
openskies88
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:10 am

zkncj wrote:
openskies88 wrote:
Virgin Australia will operate a charter from Brisbane to Auckland, Hong Kong and Paris on the B777 commencing this Saturday:

Saturday 11th April
VA9940 BNE-AKL
VA9015 AKL-HKG

Sunday 12th April
VA9015 HKG-CDG
VA9941 CDG-HKG

Tuesday 14th April
VA16 HKG-BNE


Freight charter? Or French repartition flight? Seems like an very odd route.



AKL-HKG and HKG-CDG are the charter flights. The rest will be ferry/cargo.
 
aerokiwi
Posts: 2788
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2000 1:17 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:52 am

qf2220 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
timtam wrote:
Most landlords of commercial property are providing rent relief to their distressed tenants.

Airports, being monopolies, plus also suffering a significant loss in non rental revenues, are probably not providing any rent relief.

Its a pity legislation has not been passed making some form of rent relief compulsory on commercial properties where there are distressed tenants suffering significant drops in revenue.


Exactly. Be it the large shopping centre operators, residential investers, and now apparently airports, I'm sick and tired of hearing landlords whinging. I have zero sympathy for them, regardless of what sector they are in.

The PM said that landlords and tenants should sit down and talk these things out, and he was initially reluctant to regulate the rental market. I agree with this approach, I'd much rather people actually applied some common sense rather than creating new regulations. Unfortunately the landlords refused to act in good faith, so will get the regulations they deserve. I fully support any tenant going rogue at this time.

Before I am accused of blindly defending Qantas, Virgin Australia and every other airline flying to Australia should do the same in my opinion. In additional to their own financial distress being sufficient grounds to reject or defer rental payments in the current environment, IMHO there will also be long-term benefits for the airlines if they do. This is a once in a century opportunity to really turn the screws on the airport industry, which has been sitting far too pretty for too long, to the detriment of pretty much everyone else.


Im fine with a rental discussion happening between the airports and airlines however the particularly galling part of this to me is the refusal to pay for services associated with flights already flown in Feb and March. This is in my view unreasonable and potentially a breach of contract.


This. Absolutely this. I think everyone understands the issue for the next few months and would expect a compromise there. But for services already provided, please. No doubt they'll be counting on the courts being semi operational, any dispute being resolved months and months away. And hoarding cash in the meantime. Perhaps QF is a little more precarious than they're letting on.

Qantas sold its domestic terminal at MEL back to the airport a year or two ago. They got a huge cash payout for that. But there are risks too. And that risk has now been realised.

Unless, of course, Joyce expects special treatment. Never!
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:36 am

Virgin Australia will fly to Paris (via Auckland and Hong Kong)

Reportedly chartered by the French govt, presumably picking up stranded French nationals along the way?

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... cue-flight
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2805
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:33 am

A recent report by CAPA (no giggles please) in defence of keeping VA alive has been roasted:
https://www.anthonyklan.com/aviation
 
Tankdiver
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:07 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:28 pm

Qantas at LAX as of March-8...Their B747-438ER VH-OEG is still here. It was supposed to leave last Monday to MVH then to MZJ. They currently have parked here three A380, one B747-400ER, and one B787-9 in the hangar. The A380s all have engine covers on.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Virgin Australia flew VH-VPD here today for a repatriating flight. They also did a bunch of maintenance on her, including changing two tires. She will head back to BNE tonight.

Image

Image

Image

Image
 
HM7
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Tankdiver wrote:
Qantas at LAX as of March-8...Their B747-438ER VH-OEG is still here. It was supposed to leave last Monday to MVH then to MZJ. They currently have parked here three A380, one B747-400ER, and one B787-9 in the hangar. The A380s all have engine covers on.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Virgin Australia flew VH-VPD here today for a repatriating flight. They also did a bunch of maintenance on her, including changing two tires. She will head back to BNE tonight.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Great photos! Any info on why she hasn’t left yet?
CRJ200, CRJ700, CRJ900, Q400, E175, E195, MD88, MD90, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A388, B712, B734, B738, B739, B752, B762, B763ER, B789, B744, B744ER
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:16 pm

eta unknown wrote:
A recent report by CAPA (no giggles please) in defence of keeping VA alive has been roasted:
https://www.anthonyklan.com/aviation


Anthony Klan is like a dog with a bone on this. And good on him. There are a few too many supposedly 'independent' sources which are often quoted in the media and seen by the mainstream as experts and authorities which have been pushing Virgin's line, and it's important to have somebody question this and poke holes in arguments made if those are weak or misleading arguments, as seems to be the case with the CAPA report.
 
User avatar
a36001
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:22 am

Tankdiver wrote:
Qantas at LAX as of March-8...Their B747-438ER VH-OEG is still here. It was supposed to leave last Monday to MVH then to MZJ. They currently have parked here three A380, one B747-400ER, and one B787-9 in the hangar. The A380s all have engine covers on.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Virgin Australia flew VH-VPD here today for a repatriating flight. They also did a bunch of maintenance on her, including changing two tires. She will head back to BNE tonight.

Image

Image

Image

Image


amazing photo's thanks for taking the time to share them!
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1652
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:38 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
A recent report by CAPA (no giggles please) in defence of keeping VA alive has been roasted:
https://www.anthonyklan.com/aviation


Anthony Klan is like a dog with a bone on this. And good on him. There are a few too many supposedly 'independent' sources which are often quoted in the media and seen by the mainstream as experts and authorities which have been pushing Virgin's line, and it's important to have somebody question this and poke holes in arguments made if those are weak or misleading arguments, as seems to be the case with the CAPA report.

The CAPA report is shameful and has trashed any last vestiges of respect that I had for it. Even more shameful that they won't answer legitimate questions about it.
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 24

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos