Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11
 
User avatar
CPS001
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:05 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:09 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
It appears Air India will bring home stranded Americans from India. The US Embassy in India is arranging these evacuation flights.

https://twitter.com/shukla_tarun/status ... 2720820224
Air India already repatriated stranded Europeans from several points in India to Frankfurt over the last week using B787s.

The French government is organizing a flight to repatriate 300 French citizens from Chennai to Paris. Airline that will operate is unknown.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 928842.cms
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8412
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:14 pm

CPS001 wrote:
The French government is organizing a flight to repatriate 300 French citizens from Chennai to Paris. Airline that will operate is unknown.


MAA tweet claims QR operated a French rescue flight.
https://twitter.com/aaichnairport/statu ... 9608866817
All posts are just opinions.
 
Tankdiver
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:07 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:14 pm

Virgin Atlantic is operating a A350-1000 from LHR to LAX to day...it's quite interesting hardware they been using the last few days..

VS23 from London to Los Angeles https://fr24.com/VIR23J/244e4117
 
alasizon
Posts: 2602
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:15 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
CAI-SLC is nothing close to the other flights though. It’s only 7,021 miles or around 14-15 hours of flight time.

Whereby SLC is the stronghold and headquarters of the Mormons. So what's an Arab airline doing in the city? Are there Muslims on board who want to convert the Mormons to Islam? ;-))

Or Mormons on board, having spent months in Egypt trying to convert Muslims to the true faith, but now desperate to get home to Utah?

Do you think anyone in those circumstances is going to hold out for an American airline to show up?
Or is there is an FAA ban on foreign carriers repatriating Americans even in these troubled times? (genuine question)


The Church has already chartered several different airlines for repatriation of their missionaries. Right now, missionaries are making up about 5-10% of the traffic I'm seeing on a daily basis domestically.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
MontyP
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:50 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:06 pm

Any information yet on the UK repatriation flights that the Foreign Secretary announced on monday?
 
Kilopond
Posts: 561
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:43 pm

Lufthansa‘s A330 D-AIKI got her seats removed so that big boxes tightened with nets can travel in the former passenger cabin. She is now shuttlng between FRA and PVG.

See a photo here: https://lufthansa-cargo.com/en/newsroom ... rt-2985372
 
KirkSeattle
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:32 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 am

How did this one escape all of us! Wizz Air LAX-JFK...any info?

https://www.flightradar24.com/WZZ9014/244e98b6

Odd!

Edit - I said "you guys" i meant all of us
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:34 am

KirkSeattle wrote:
How did this one escape all of us! Wizz Air LAX-JFK...any info?

https://www.flightradar24.com/WZZ9014/244e98b6

Odd!

Edit - I said "you guys" i meant all of us


Noted on the last page.

It’s a repatriation flight with a stop in JFK and possibly KEF
 
KirkSeattle
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:32 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 am

Ishrion wrote:
KirkSeattle wrote:
How did this one escape all of us! Wizz Air LAX-JFK...any info?

https://www.flightradar24.com/WZZ9014/244e98b6

Odd!

Edit - I said "you guys" i meant all of us


Noted on the last page.

It’s a repatriation flight with a stop in JFK and possibly KEF


Thanks man! I appreciate it.
 
CRJ200flyer
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:38 am

While at work today took this photo of the new temporary wall being built to close the C concourse gates in DTW. The gate agent working my flight said today was the end of operations from those gates for the time being.

Image

Direct link: https://flic.kr/p/2iL7GUF
 
Efhkspotter
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:22 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 am

Kilopond wrote:
Lufthansa‘s A330 D-AIKI got her seats removed so that big boxes tightened with nets can travel in the former passenger cabin. She is now shuttlng between FRA and PVG.

See a photo here: https://lufthansa-cargo.com/en/newsroom ... rt-2985372


Where does it say they removed any seats? Better picture on their Facebook shows seats are still in place.
https://www.facebook.com/story.php?stor ... 3994684003
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:59 am

France deploying more and more aircraft to transfer patients from Paris and Mulhouse.

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/live/202 ... _3244.html

French Air Force A330MRTT inside look at Covid19 ops
https://youtu.be/cm-nhRu7oss

Air ambulance
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HCSnrnvSI


French Army NH90
https://youtu.be/gkfk-p759vE

We're talking hundreds of new hospitalised cases per day, they should be transfering mild cases who are likely to turn worse instead of already critical cases.
They can use commercial widebodies with lie-flat business class seats for a short hop to transfer mild cases, these few military medevacs are not going to cut it.
It's time to go all-in, what are the US waiting to do this for NYC? We dont need daily press briefings, stop talking, start working.
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:25 am

An opinion piece on the WSJ sharing the same view:


Call it Operation Covid Airlift. Most of those who develop Covid-19 symptoms severe enough to require hospitalization have the time for an emergency flight from New York City to a region with unused capacity. State or national health authorities should provide daily updates of available ICU beds and ventilators. Patients who are stable but at high risk for requiring intubation over the next several days could be moved from New York-based hospitals to other regions that are fully ready to care for them.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/operation- ... 1585695115

What do you need a huge military airlift capacity for if you don't use the aircraft when and where you need them?
 
holczakker
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 7:34 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:30 am

Ishrion wrote:
KirkSeattle wrote:
How did this one escape all of us! Wizz Air LAX-JFK...any info?

https://www.flightradar24.com/WZZ9014/244e98b6

Odd!

Edit - I said "you guys" i meant all of us


Noted on the last page.

It’s a repatriation flight with a stop in JFK and possibly KEF

Several flights operated to China (BUD-TSE-PVG/PEK-TSE-BUD) to bring medical supplies. Repatriation of stranded Hungarian/Canadian/US citizens is being done on routes BUD-JFK-LAX-JFK-KEF-BUD and BUD-KEF-YYZ-MIA-ORD-KEF-BUD. All of those flights are operated with 321neo's. Plenty of short range repatriation done on routes IEV/KBP-SXF and SKP-FMM/LJU/SXF/CGN among others.
 
ELBOB
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:32 am

A124 RA-82038 operated UUMU - EINN - CYYR- KJFK with medical supplies on 01 April as RFF8460
 
Travelboff
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 am

SAS currently have a A350 enroute from Copenhagen to Lima https://www.flightradar24.com/SAS7030/244ee100
 
Mortyman
Posts: 5870
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:47 am

CNN has an article about how travel might be after the virus, including for air travel:

What will travel look like after coronavirus?

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html
 
max999
Posts: 1230
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:05 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:03 pm

Mortyman wrote:
CNN has an article about how travel might be after the virus, including for air travel:

What will travel look like after coronavirus?

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html


I think the number of people who will be employed in the aviation industry, and travel industry in general, will be much fewer than before. It may take many years before it gets back up to pre-corona level of employment.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 8412
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:44 pm

Aviation infrastructure-related question, Wouldn't it be prudent to use now lull to fix issues at busy airports, with government financial help or whatever. This may be once in a lifetime opportunity.
All posts are just opinions.
 
oldJoe
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Great to see, all this Fa`s want to help ! Hope they have everything on hand to protect them selve
 
Travelboff
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:28 pm

I am finding all these repatriation flight routings fascinating. A Condor 767-330ER is currently flying from Vientiane, Laos to undisclosed destination, but I would imagine Frankfurt https://www.flightradar24.com/CFG693/244efdeb
 
SwissCanuck
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:32 pm

ELBOB wrote:
A124 RA-82038 operated UUMU - EINN - CYYR- KJFK with medical supplies on 01 April as RFF8460


CKL-SNN-YYR-JFK

FTFY (Most of us on a.net use IATA codes, not ICAO).
 
User avatar
TK787
Posts: 4543
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:05 pm

TK suspended all international pax flights till May 1st. ( They operate only a handful of Domestic flights and still doing a lot of Cargo flying )
For existing tickets, they offer banking them, rebooking them or two months for refund. I guess I will find out soon :(
 
MKIAZ
Posts: 279
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 5:24 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:14 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Seriously - why are US carriers still even flying around as much capacity as they are? States like TX and NM are now requiring arriving pax to quarantine for 14 days - and not just those from NY/NJ. It’s only a matter of time before every state is doing this, and the few folks traveling will dwindle even further. Not saying 100% of flying needs to be grounded - but why they even bother flying anything more than 5-10% or capacity is beyond me


I've speculated for awhile that the airlines are keeping flights to avoid refunding cash to people who already booked flights. With oil so low and pilots still getting paid regardless, if they cancel the flight they have to refund everyone who was booked on it in cash. If they operate it and everyone voluntarily decides to cancel they all get credit.
 
Waterbomber2
Posts: 1339
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:44 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:46 pm

MKIAZ wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
Seriously - why are US carriers still even flying around as much capacity as they are? States like TX and NM are now requiring arriving pax to quarantine for 14 days - and not just those from NY/NJ. It’s only a matter of time before every state is doing this, and the few folks traveling will dwindle even further. Not saying 100% of flying needs to be grounded - but why they even bother flying anything more than 5-10% or capacity is beyond me


I've speculated for awhile that the airlines are keeping flights to avoid refunding cash to people who already booked flights. With oil so low and pilots still getting paid regardless, if they cancel the flight they have to refund everyone who was booked on it in cash. If they operate it and everyone voluntarily decides to cancel they all get credit.


I think that you are correct.
They are flying to preserve cash, and avoid refunds, plus they are operating at the expense of their suppliers by increasing accounts payable, which is equivalent to a short-term loan.
Malicious, environmentally irresponsible, but effective in the short-term.
However, I don't see this lasting past April 15th, as for every passing day, there are less and less non-refundable advance bookings. They are trying to carry this forward by suggesting expanded use of interlining and using smaller aircraft but eventually it will stop making sense and become cheaper to refund than keep operating.
Also, at some point their suppliers and contractors are going to ask to pay their bills at the risk of suspension of service.
 
Newark727
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:48 pm

TGV wrote:
You are right. The largest airplane used is a military French Air Force A330 specialised in Medevac which can transport up to 6 people at the same time.


How is the A330 laid out? This doesn't seem like that many, but I have no idea how much space it takes to treat a Covid-19 patient.
 
factsonly
Posts: 2977
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:21 pm

In response to the Chinese policy restricting airlines to 1x weekly frequency per route, China Southern has re-introduced the A380 from CAN to AMS, LAX and SYD during April:

Now en-route:

- 3 Apr 2020: CZ307 CAN 00.33 - AMS 06.16 CZ A380-841 B-6138

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/b-6138

The A388 is new to this route, as in previous years CZ operated the A388 PEK-AMS in summer only.
 
KFTG
Posts: 864
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:26 pm

A positive sign!
 
TGV
Posts: 722
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:37 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:48 pm

Newark727 wrote:
How is the A330 laid out? This doesn't seem like that many, but I have no idea how much space it takes to treat a Covid-19 patient.


There was a video in the above post from Waterbomber2. This plane is normally used to transfer wounded soldiers, I don't think it has been modified for Covid-19 patients.

Waterbomber2 wrote:
French Air Force A330MRTT inside look at Covid19 ops
https://youtu.be/cm-nhRu7oss
I will never fly again 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:11 pm

Does anyone know if airlines are using this time to get any maintenance done? Not sure if they could do it and still keep 6 feet distance? Does anyone have a list of current in service fleet sizes for the majors during this period? I was shocked to see the flight arrivals at LAX yesterday...
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone
 
LH658
Posts: 1201
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 am

EK resumes operations

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:16 pm

Emirates has been given the green light to restart flights. Flights will resume on April 6th, with destinations like Zurich, London, Perth, Frankfurt, and more. Thoughts?

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/tr ... -1.1000678
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: EK resumes operations

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:24 pm

aren't they one-way flights out of DXB? That would really only mean they are "exporting" ex-pats back home.
 
BinTamim1
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: EK resumes operations

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:24 pm

LHR #4 time a week
FRA, CDG, BRU and ZRH #3 time a week

Emirates temporary flights will only carry outbound passengers from the UAE.

Emirates will also carry belly-hold cargo in both directions, supporting trade and communities with the transport of essential goods.


Emirates will resume the temporary operating from Dubai International airport Terminal 2 until further notice.


أرسلت بواسطة iPhone بإستخدام Tapatalk
 
trex8
Posts: 5584
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Newark727 wrote:
TGV wrote:
You are right. The largest airplane used is a military French Air Force A330 specialised in Medevac which can transport up to 6 people at the same time.


How is the A330 laid out? This doesn't seem like that many, but I have no idea how much space it takes to treat a Covid-19 patient.

well it seems they weren't too worried about space for these flights, just need to take the appropriate protective precautions
https://www.defense.gouv.fr/content/dow ... nix_BD.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhvb_DlneM
 
N626AA
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:02 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:00 pm

GlobalAirways wrote:
Does anyone know if airlines are using this time to get any maintenance done? Not sure if they could do it and still keep 6 feet distance? Does anyone have a list of current in service fleet sizes for the majors during this period? I was shocked to see the flight arrivals at LAX yesterday...


Great question, have been wondering that myself. If not maintenance, then maybe a deep clean/sanitization of the cabin, lavs, belly, cockpit, etc to kill any potential covid-19 that found it's way into any of those frames? I keep reading that this thing can survive on surfaces for hours up to several days or more. While many of these frames may not see heavy human activity for weeks or months, it wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution at the rate things are developing. Just my 2 cents
A306 319 320 321 332 333 343 B722 733 734 735 737 738 744 752 762 763 772 773 DC93 DC1040 MD82/83/88 MD90 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 E140 E145/45X DHQ3 ATR7
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 2276
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Newark727 wrote:
TGV wrote:
You are right. The largest airplane used is a military French Air Force A330 specialised in Medevac which can transport up to 6 people at the same time.

How is the A330 laid out? This doesn't seem like that many, but I have no idea how much space it takes to treat a Covid-19 patient.

FWIW - Configuration CM30; 20 stations for up to 40 lightly wounded

But the more likely set-up is the middle one
Configuration Morphée; 10 modules for "up to a dozen" (personally I'm seeing 10-for-10) heavy wounded

I confess I cannot see any reason to further reduce capacity to just six, but then I'm not a medic.
Image
Thx to
https://www.defense.gouv.fr/var/dicod/s ... phenix.jpg
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5001
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:49 pm

N626AA wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:
Does anyone know if airlines are using this time to get any maintenance done? Not sure if they could do it and still keep 6 feet distance? Does anyone have a list of current in service fleet sizes for the majors during this period? I was shocked to see the flight arrivals at LAX yesterday...


Great question, have been wondering that myself. If not maintenance, then maybe a deep clean/sanitization of the cabin, lavs, belly, cockpit, etc to kill any potential covid-19 that found it's way into any of those frames? I keep reading that this thing can survive on surfaces for hours up to several days or more. While many of these frames may not see heavy human activity for weeks or months, it wouldn't hurt to err on the side of caution at the rate things are developing. Just my 2 cents

Just parking them for weeks/months will take care of any covid
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1977
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:53 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
Aviation infrastructure-related question, Wouldn't it be prudent to use now lull to fix issues at busy airports, with government financial help or whatever. This may be once in a lifetime opportunity.

Stuttgart airport (STR) in Germany is using the opportunity to accelerate the runway maintenance they had planned for this year. Resurfacing of ~ 1/3rd of the runway. The airport will be closed entirely for the next 2 weeks rather than work at night only.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24701
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:54 am

Per travel agent notice, Volaris suspending U.S service to IAH, SEA, PHX, DEN, DFW, JFK, SMF, RNO, MIA, LAS, FAT, CLT, SAT and IAD.
Will retain service to LAX, OAK, SJC, ORD, MDW, PDX and MCO.
Also approx 80% of domestic capacity will be trimmed as part of the announced lockdown.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:16 am

Yesterday NZ operated 89 flights and carried a total of 165 passengers

https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 81440?s=20

And 20 of those flights had 1 passenger onboard

https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 25185?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:43 am

An interesting article on SQ's fleet choice for remaining flights during this outbreak:

Singapore Airlines To Rely On Boeing Aircraft During Coronavirus Downturn
 
User avatar
SheikhDjibouti
Posts: 2276
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:45 am

qf789 wrote:
Yesterday NZ operated 89 flights and carried a total of 165 passengers

https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 81440?s=20

And 20 of those flights had 1 passenger onboard

https://twitter.com/CamWallace_NZ/statu ... 25185?s=20

Thank goodness that NZ's route network is mostly short local flights.
Oh, wait..... :cry2:
Nothing to see here; move along please.
 
aquariusHKG
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:50 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:44 am

https://twitter.com/journodannyaero/sta ... 05920?s=21
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/art ... g-just-582

Cathay Pacific reporting seeing 99.4% drop in passenger number, and on one day only carried 582 customers

Furthermore, the schedule of the CX / KA will reduce to the following:

Long-haul: 2x a week to: LHR, YVR, SYD & LAX
Regional (unchanged): 3x a week to NRT, TPE, DEL, BKK, CGK, MNL, SGN, SIN, PEK, PVG, KUL
 
737max8
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:13 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 am

GlobalAirways wrote:
Does anyone know if airlines are using this time to get any maintenance done? Not sure if they could do it and still keep 6 feet distance? Does anyone have a list of current in service fleet sizes for the majors during this period? I was shocked to see the flight arrivals at LAX yesterday...


MX costs money. Airlines need to save money. My best guess as much MX is deferred as possible. Park the planes that need the most.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A220 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A339 A343 A346 A359 A388
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am

Waterbomber2 wrote:
France deploying more and more aircraft to transfer patients from Paris and Mulhouse.

https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/live/202 ... _3244.html

French Air Force A330MRTT inside look at Covid19 ops
https://youtu.be/cm-nhRu7oss

Air ambulance
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HCSnrnvSI


French Army NH90
https://youtu.be/gkfk-p759vE

We're talking hundreds of new hospitalised cases per day, they should be transfering mild cases who are likely to turn worse instead of already critical cases.
They can use commercial widebodies with lie-flat business class seats for a short hop to transfer mild cases, these few military medevacs are not going to cut it.
It's time to go all-in, what are the US waiting to do this for NYC? We dont need daily press briefings, stop talking, start working.

They have been moving cases out of NYC to upstate NY for days....
 
Sand0rf
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:12 am

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:29 am

Here is a video about Schiphol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exGAVC8VjkY
Incredible to see how empty it is, it makes me very sad...

Let's all hope and pray that the aviation industry will recover from this crisis.
 
ZazuPIT
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:32 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:53 am

aquariusHKG wrote:
https://twitter.com/journodannyaero/status/1245906283649105920?s=21
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/art ... g-just-582

Cathay Pacific reporting seeing 99.4% drop in passenger number, and on one day only carried 582 customers

Furthermore, the schedule of the CX / KA will reduce to the following:

Long-haul: 2x a week to: LHR, YVR, SYD & LAX
Regional (unchanged): 3x a week to NRT, TPE, DEL, BKK, CGK, MNL, SGN, SIN, PEK, PVG, KUL


Caught a quick blurb on the news that they carried 582 pax in one day as opposed to 100k they normally flew. Can't find the link though. Not good.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11134
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:46 pm

Avolon has announced a cancellation of 75 737MAX plus 4 A330neos and delivery of another 25 aircraft have been deferred

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 32.article
Forum Moderator
 
sotnas7
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:59 pm

After going for the first time to Shanghai last week, an A330neo from TAP Air Portugal is now en route to Beijing (PEK), presumably for more medical supplies.

https://www.flightradar24.com/TAP9185/245083aa
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:26 pm

I don't airlines are doing much line maintenance given all the social distancing. There is no doubt in my mind that by the end of April we will be in a global Depression, or at least here in the states. Air travel will take years to recover, particularly leisure. As far as capacity cuts, downsizing staff and routes, retirement of a/c, terminating deliveries, etc. we "ain't seen nothing yet." Some airlines will be gone by year end. The airlines themselves have no idea of how deep they will need to cut. It's going to be far uglier than anything we've ever seen.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos