Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LNCS0930

Re: JetBlue requiring all customers to cover their face beginning May 4th

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:03 am

catiii wrote:
Just announced. It will be interesting to see if other carriers follow.

http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/jetb ... wsid=68480

Unlikely. I think this will cause a percentage of people to not fly. I don’t expect any other carriers will do it

FlyingElvii

Re: Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - April 2020

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:26 am

Argentina stops all flights until 1 September
No passenger ticket sales at all. This might do in LATAM

https://www.france24.com/en/20200428-ar ... ing-outcry

catiii

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:50 am

enilria wrote:
catiii wrote:

I assume TSA will require removal at the checkpoint?

Most people are covering their face already in the terminal. I'm sure the TSA policy will be no different.

catiii

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:52 am

LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:

Unlikely. I think this will cause a percentage of people to not fly. I don’t expect any other carriers will do it

What percentage of the roughly 3% that are flying now will abandon flying? Traffic is down practically 97% YOY. You think a facial covering is going to drive the masses away?

catiii

Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:53 am

tphuang wrote:
I think they and all carriers should provide masks at check-in. There could be any number of reasons where a passenger may not have a mask when they get to the airport.

Policy wise, I think this is the right policy.

The policy is facial covering. Doesn't need to be a mask.

airhansa

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:30 am

The situation over in Europe seems to be more dire because on increased competition and less demand. The major airlines of the US will remain but the smaller regional airlines will merge. In Europe, which lacks a major airline, mergers and failures are more likely to happen.

jomur

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:08 am

airhansa wrote:
The situation over in Europe seems to be more dire because on increased competition and less demand. The major airlines of the US will remain but the smaller regional airlines will merge. In Europe, which lacks a major airline, mergers and failures are more likely to happen.

So IAG, AFKLM, LH, EasyJet ,Wizz and RyanAir all don't count then?

airhansa

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:39 am

jomur wrote:
airhansa wrote:

They still retain the various national airlines within the merged companies. This isn't efficient and loses money. Why would Lufthansa want to prop up a loss making Austrian Airlines?

ltbewr

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:39 am

Masks being worn by all on an airplane should be mandated by all government airline authorities for the duration of the highest risk period of this pandemic. Some, like my brother, have to travel as part of their job and for financial survival. Some have to travel as provide technical services to keep our country running to survive this pandemic. The wearing of masks is a relatively inexpensive, incremental and critical way to reduce the risks of possibly infected persons infecting others, to reduce the risk of getting infected when in places like stores or where social distancing is difficult, like in an airplane. To me JetBlue is making the correct and sound business and ethical decision.

jomur

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:18 pm

airhansa wrote:
jomur wrote:
airhansa wrote:

They still retain the various national airlines within the merged companies. This isn't efficient and loses money. Why would Lufthansa want to prop up a loss making Austrian Airlines?

But you are comparing a country for a region... Try comparing Europe with the whole of the American continent then.. No one major airline then as all the airlines are country specific.

LNCS0930

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:50 pm

catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:

What percentage of the roughly 3% that are flying now will abandon flying? Traffic is down practically 97% YOY. You think a facial covering is going to drive the masses away?

Immediately I don’t think so but 4-5-6 months from now it might. If airlines start seeing advanced bookings go up for the later summer into the holiday season I would be wary about instituting a mask required policy. Jet Blue got a fairly poor response to it on social media yesterday. I think what AA has done is better. Hand them out and I think many will wear it. You make people do it and it’s usually less well received

ArtV

Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:17 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

Immediately I don’t think so but 4-5-6 months from now it might. If airlines start seeing advanced bookings go up for the later summer into the holiday season I would be wary about instituting a mask required policy. Jet Blue got a fairly poor response to it on social media yesterday. I think what AA has done is better. Hand them out and I think many will wear it. You make people do it and it’s usually less well received

Other countries have compulsory face mask laws in public including transportation/aircraft, and people accept and move on that it is part of life. I think the approach in the US of people objecting to infringements of their civil liberties (a face mask...despite its likely effectiveness against spreading the virus) may go someone to explain why there are significantly more cases and deaths in the US than other countries.

catiii

Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:32 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

Most everything I saw on social was positive. Bookings aren't coming back unless customers have confidence they aren't going to get sick, or if they do get sick they aren't going to die. The therapeutic and vaccine will address the latter, and thats at minimum 18 months away. Reducing the risk of transmission, which the mask does, provides more confidence. Time will tell who's right, but no one is anticipating a U shaped recovery by november. if there is then we've won and the pandemic is solved.

LAXdude1023

Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:59 pm

catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:

Most everything I saw on social was positive. Bookings aren't coming back unless customers have confidence they aren't going to get sick, or if they do get sick they aren't going to die. The therapeutic and vaccine will address the latter, and thats at minimum 18 months away. Reducing the risk of transmission, which the mask does, provides more confidence. Time will tell who's right, but no one is anticipating a U shaped recovery by november. if there is then we've won and the pandemic is solved.

A vaccine is 18 months away. Therapeutic drugs should be here in the summer. As far as an economic recovery goes, that will probably take 18 months from the time we get this under control.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Chemist

Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:05 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

A vaccine is 18 months away. Therapeutic drugs should be here in the summer. As far as an economic recovery goes, that will probably take 18 months from the time we get this under control.

Therapeutic drugs, and the timeline for them, are a hope, nowhere near a guarantee.

LAXdude1023

Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:59 pm

Chemist wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
catiii wrote:

Therapeutic drugs, and the timeline for them, are a hope, nowhere near a guarantee.

Yeah, but given the number on trail (over 100) if even 1% of them were effective, that would give us something. Based on early data, it should be closer to 5% that are effective. Results on the first rounds should be in June. That and the fact we cannot wait for a vaccine to come out to start things up make them our best bet.

jayunited

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm

Couple of quick questions, I was watching COVID-19 coverage this morning and one of the analyst stated, since airlines have drawn down so much capacity, COVID-19 could give rise once again to the road trip here in the U.S. as we get into those summer months with people seeing their car or SUV as a safer option to flying. In their (the analysts) opinion people are not going to "cancel" their summer they are going to get out and there has been data showing more and more Americans are not staying home the deeper into spring we go. Also according to this analyst in certain parts of the country (states with beautiful beach locations and even Las Vegas) hotels and other lodging areas are stating to seeing more people inquiring or actually booking summer travel than there are people canceling. That trend if true does not necessarily mean more people are looking to fly to their destination.

My questions are how will airlines decided when to increase capacity and where to increase capacity? Even as some states reopen what are some key data points airlines are looking at to guide their decision making for their June, July, and August domestic schedules? Can the data be skewed if more people turn to road trips as their means of transportation instead of flying?

catiii

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:58 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Chemist wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Yeah, but given the number on trail (over 100) if even 1% of them were effective, that would give us something. Based on early data, it should be closer to 5% that are effective. Results on the first rounds should be in June. That and the fact we cannot wait for a vaccine to come out to start things up make them our best bet.

I prefer your timeline!

dampfnudel

Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:02 am

I guess for many if it’s a choice between wearing a mask or some other facial covering for a couple of hours on a plane to Florida or 15 hours plus in a vehicle, they’ll choose wearing the mask/facial covering.
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

JayinKitsap

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:56 am

jayunited wrote:
Couple of quick questions, I was watching COVID-19 coverage this morning and one of the analyst stated, since airlines have drawn down so much capacity, COVID-19 could give rise once again to the road trip here in the U.S. as we get into those summer months with people seeing their car or SUV as a safer option to flying. In their (the analysts) opinion people are not going to "cancel" their summer they are going to get out and there has been data showing more and more Americans are not staying home the deeper into spring we go. Also according to this analyst in certain parts of the country (states with beautiful beach locations and even Las Vegas) hotels and other lodging areas are stating to seeing more people inquiring or actually booking summer travel than there are people canceling. That trend if true does not necessarily mean more people are looking to fly to their destination.

My questions are how will airlines decided when to increase capacity and where to increase capacity? Even as some states reopen what are some key data points airlines are looking at to guide their decision making for their June, July, and August domestic schedules? Can the data be skewed if more people turn to road trips as their means of transportation instead of flying?

Airlines will see their actual bookings increase, if/when they see 50+% of seats filled on a route consistently, they will add flights before raising prices, otherwise their competition swoops in. So they are both watching portal traffic, clicks, and actual reservations.

Trips by car will certainly be an alternate to flying destinations, it seems like car trips are the first to come back. The first trips will be for 2 or 3 nights within a few hours drive, for me going to the coast or the mountains. Things like restaurants, attractions not open, not in a party mood will point to a simpler life for a while. Ocean front condos and hotels are available for rent on a June weekend, normally totally booked. Nice places for $160/night, so 4 hours in the car each way with great scenery, kitchens in the rooms $ 320 for lodging 2 nights $60 in gas, great crab shacks and seafood spots run by locals. A lot of trip for not much. Just flying to Vegas would add $500 and I will be in places that are either ghost town or flat packed. No thank you

frmrCapCadet

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:15 pm

I have not read anything about epidemiology and travel that can give practical advice. I suspect studies and followups of people traveling could provide some actual data about what makes flying safer. Masks? Likely exposures and infections suffered while in a plane, etc.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

TK787

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:41 pm

TK extends the suspension of all Domestic and International Flights till May 28th.

tphuang

Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:20 pm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwes ... 10279.html
reposting what got posted in the news thread. This is pretty impressive stuff. WN will have enough money even if this near zero revenue environment lasts until Q4 and positive cash flow don't come back until 2022. They are still flying too much right now, but they should have plenty of money around when industry picks up again.

Nicknuzzii

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:36 pm

United blocked all middle seats until next April. Isn’t this a bit too much?

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:13 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Highly useful publicity, and could attract extra customers as a result.
Who would say "no thx" to some extra elbow room?

I'm also betting that somewhere in the small print it states that they reserve the right to open up & sell these seats at some future date if the Covid-19 situation improves.

Win-win.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

747d10

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:

Is there a link to this? I couldn’t find it on United.com or even by googling it.
E145 E190 F100 L10/15 DC8 D8S D10 M11 D91/S/5 M80 M90 717 727/S 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/42/43/44 752 762/3/4 77E/L 788 A300 310 319 320 321 333 Concorde
AA AC AF AL AQ AS BN CI CO CX DL EA FL HA HU HY KL MC MU MX NA NC NW OZ PA PI QH RC SQ TI TW UA US WA 9K

Nicknuzzii

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:02 am

747d10 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Is there a link to this? I couldn’t find it on United.com or even by googling it.

Dummy bookings

Antaras

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:57 am

VN8 (A350-941 non-ULR) is ferrying HAN-YVZ nonstop.
This aircraft will fly back to Vietnam as a repatriation flight, carrying 300 pax on YVZ-YVR-HAN.
I am wondering that if VN can hold 300 pax on YVR-HAN nonstop on the A359 original, why would SQ has to use the A359ULR on SIN-SFO?

VN will also operate IAD-ANC-HAN, as well as SFO-HAN as other repatriation flights.
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

airhansa

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:01 am

East Asia air travel may actually rebound quicker than Western air travel due to the history of SARS, which turned out all fine obviously. Furthermore, this pandemic does seem to be mainly a western problem, a lot of these social distancing measure were never implemented in East Asia yet the spread has been far less in Asia than in the West. Even the likes of Taiwan and Singapore didn't do such measures to the extreme.

FlyingElvii

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:02 am

747d10 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

It comes as a pop up notification while booking on the UA website. Looks like they are also blocking row 1 in coach as well, Looked at the CRJ and 319 seat maps. Appears they are also blocking B and F in First.

On the 175 blocking row C, front to back.
Last edited by FlyingElvii on Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

MrPeanut

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:03 am

LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

I think what AA has done is better. Hand them out and I think many will wear it. You make people do it and it’s usually less well received

I wouldn’t be surprised to see AA require masks soon and then charge people an exorbitant price to buy face masks onboard. It will be AA’s new way to nickel and dime the hell out of people in the new Covid-19 world.

hoons90

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:23 am

If there's any airport that hasn't been impacted all that much by the pandemic:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airp ... u/arrivals

Almost looks like a normal day at CJU pre-pandemic sans international arrivals.
Flown: 2L 7C 9E 9L AA AB AC AF AY AZ BA BR BX B6 CA CO CP CX DL EK EY JL KE KL LA LH LX MQ NW OZ PD RW SQ TG TP TR TS US WG WN WS XE XJ

panamair

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:18 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

Highly useful publicity, and could attract extra customers as a result.
Who would say "no thx" to some extra elbow room?

I'm also betting that somewhere in the small print it states that they reserve the right to open up & sell these seats at some future date if the Covid-19 situation improves.

Win-win.

To be clear, middle seats are blocked from advance seat assignment only; it is not a guarantee that middle seats will be left empty and that they will limit inventory on each flight. If the flight fills up, those middle seats will be used and assigned by gate agents. Several travel blogs have already covered this when they asked the airlines for clarification.

VRHNM

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:52 am

Antaras wrote:
VN8 (A350-941 non-ULR) is ferrying HAN-YVZ nonstop.
This aircraft will fly back to Vietnam as a repatriation flight, carrying 300 pax on YVZ-YVR-HAN.
I am wondering that if VN can hold 300 pax on YVR-HAN nonstop on the A359 original, why would SQ has to use the A359ULR on SIN-SFO?

VN will also operate IAD-ANC-HAN, as well as SFO-HAN as other repatriation flights.

For your reference:

YVR-HAN stands at 6729nm
CX used to regularly operate the A359 (regular version) between SFO and HKG, which stands at 6927nm
SQ's SFO-SIN is significantly longer than these two routes at 8446nm

LAXdude1023

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:38 pm

catiii wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Chemist wrote:

I prefer your timeline!

This could be a game changer if successful. The vaccine has been shown to work in Macaque Monkeys which is the closest immune relation to us:

https://www.businessinsider.com/oxford- ... ute-2020-4

catiii

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:56 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:

oh yeah?

Delta, American first legacy carriers to require passengers to wear masks
By Brianna Gurciullo
04/30/2020 05:43 PM EDT
Delta Air Lines became the first legacy carrier to require passengers to wear face coverings, an announcement quickly followed by American Airlines, as carriers increasingly succumb to pressure from the public and lawmakers to require protective gear for everyone on board.
Delta said today that passengers will have to wear face coverings from check-in through the duration of their flights, though they will be able to remove those coverings during meal service. The requirement begins Monday. Soon after, American announcedthat face coverings will be required for passengers starting May 11.

catiii

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:00 pm

catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:

oh yeah?

By Brianna Gurciullo
Delta Air Lines became the first legacy carrier to require passengers to wear face coverings, an announcement quickly followed by American Airlines, as carriers increasingly succumb to pressure from the public and lawmakers to require protective gear for everyone on board.
Delta said today that passengers will have to wear face coverings from check-in through the duration of their flights, though they will be able to remove those coverings during meal service. The requirement begins Monday. Soon after, American announcedthat face coverings will be required for passengers starting May 11.

United now too: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/3 ... rus-227454

LNCS0930

Fri May 01, 2020 1:03 am

catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:

oh yeah?

By Brianna Gurciullo

Just stupid, it serves no purpose when everyone is taking them off to eat or drink anyway. I guess I won’t be flying for awhile because I refuse to do this

panamair

Fri May 01, 2020 11:55 am

LNCS0930 wrote:
Just stupid, it serves no purpose when everyone is taking them off to eat or drink anyway. I guess I won’t be flying for awhile because I refuse to do this

Completely disagree. Anything that helps to further reduce transmission risk is helpful. The amount of time spent with the mask off for drinks/food is minimal compared to the the rest of the travel time a passenger is required to wear a mask (check-in, going through security, boarding, most of the flight, and then arrival etc.); mandatory masks will help reduce the transmission risk significantly through the bulk of the passenger's travel process.

alasizon

Fri May 01, 2020 12:06 pm

panamair wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

Completely disagree. Anything that helps to further reduce transmission risk is helpful. The amount of time spent with the mask off for drinks/food is minimal compared to the the rest of the travel time a passenger is required to wear a mask (check-in, going through security, boarding, most of the flight, and then arrival etc.); mandatory masks will help reduce the transmission risk significantly through the bulk of the passenger's travel process.

Not that your point is invalid, but the mask is only required onboard so all of the time spent in the airport is optional.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

panamair

Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm

alasizon wrote:
panamair wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

Not that your point is invalid, but the mask is only required onboard so all of the time spent in the airport is optional.

Sorry I was referring to Delta’s policy (haven’t read the details of American’s).

https://news.delta.com/facecoverings

“...face coverings will be required starting in the check-in lobby...” - can be found around the middle of the linked article above.

LAXdude1023

Fri May 01, 2020 1:50 pm

LNCS0930 wrote:
catiii wrote:
LNCS0930 wrote:

oh yeah?

By Brianna Gurciullo

You refuse to wear a mask??? Why?

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 1:52 pm

Please continue discussion in Coronavirus Aviation Related News & Discussion Thread - May 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1445545
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos