Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Turkish Aviation April 2020

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:45 pm

Hello there Turkish Aviation fans,



Who would have thought?
-In a matter of one month, TK to go from “the airline who flies to most countries in the world” to “an airline that flies only a handful of Domestic passenger flights and some Cargo flights”
-SAW is closed to operations.
-ISL is full of Turkish planes parked.

There is so much pain, suffering and uncertainty around us but we must all have hope that this shall too pass. As Aviation enthusiasts we must still share our experiences going forward and have a historical timeline of events recorded here at these threads.

We will get through this.
Be safe everyone.

**You can find last month's thread here: Turkish Aviation March 2020
 
ARNbased
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:09 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for keeping up the great work here at A.net.

These certainly are trying times and I hope - and think - that things will begin to get back to normal during the summer and hopefully recover during late Q3 and Q4.
 
OTTOMANAIR
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:30 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:01 am

ARNbased wrote:
I just wanted to say thanks for keeping up the great work here at A.net.

These certainly are trying times and I hope - and think - that things will begin to get back to normal during the summer and hopefully recover during late Q3 and Q4.


I hope so too... But I really believe that’s just wishful thinking.
 
User avatar
TKflyer
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:35 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:15 am

Interesting that OnurAir took deliverie of an additional Airbus A330 in these days.
Skyliner–Aviation.de reports that the Airbus A330–243 msn 501 was delivered on 31/03/2020 to ISL.
The F-WWKG was operated before as F–GRSQ by Star Airlines and XL Airways France and is leased from AerCap.
 
SeanM1997
Posts: 416
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:41 am

Pegasus Airlines are to increase 4 London Stansted routes from 3 August 2020 which will last until the end of the Summer 2020 season:
- Izmir goes from 5 to 7 weekly (daily)
- Ankara goes from 3 to 4 weekly (additional Sunday)
- Antalya goes from 2 to 3 weekly (additional Saturday)
- Dalaman goes from 1 to 3 weekly (additional Thursday and Saturday)

Additionally, Antalya - London Stansted will go year round with 2x weekly in Winter 2020
.
.
.
Furthermore, SunExpress are to operate winter flights between London Luton - Antalya and London Luton - Izmir 1x weekly in December & January
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:42 am

Now that you have to have a "Travel Permit" to be able to fly domestically in Turkey, has anyone gone through the process? I read it is done through e-government portal and somewhat and easy process. What do you have to do to qualify? Thank you.
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:47 pm

TK787 wrote:
Now that you have to have a "Travel Permit" to be able to fly domestically in Turkey, has anyone gone through the process? I read it is done through e-government portal and somewhat and easy process. What do you have to do to qualify? Thank you.

Most probably is that you need to be younger than 65 (for the moment...). For example, I cannot go thru that process having birth in 1952. :banghead: :airplane:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:17 pm


Latest news from TK; international flight suspension extended till May 1st :(
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:18 pm

And now, TK stopped those 14 Domestic destinations also for a period of 15 days. (till April 20th??)
Effectively, TK is only flying Cargo flights for the next 15 days.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 24506
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:31 pm

In other news, anna.aero has a little story and look at SunExpress as the airline celebrates its 30th anniversary.

https://www.anna.aero/2020/04/03/sunexp ... led-seats/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
User avatar
AirbusA343
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:38 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 pm

I was just having a look at TK's European flights for the summer and saw that Kiev will be getting double daily 787s on TK457/8/9/60. I was looking at dates around the middle of July. LHR will also be getting them on TK1985/86 and TK1971/72 is blank, so I'm guessing that's an A350.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:03 pm

Wow, here is another milestone:
Remember exactly last year today? TK moved from ISL to IST and started operation solely there.
Who would have thought this to happen, at this severity?
Like they say.... one day at a time.... and it is going to get worse but eventually it will better. Hopeful news are coming from Italy and Spain.
Hang in there friends.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:50 pm

On other COVID19 news;
-ISL might be turned into a hospital if needed during this pandemic.
-a.net member, good friend; captain "wing" is out of the hospital after 8 days and feeling better. Awesome news.
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:27 am

TK787 wrote:
On other COVID19 news;
-ISL might be turned into a hospital if needed during this pandemic.


Despite verbally announced by President Erdogan, ISL is not going to be converted in any kind of hospital or healthcare facility. Preparation (earth leveling, etc.) has started at a location totally outside ISL's boundaries, but this location is totally unsuitable for even a temporary hospital due to several reasons! (Very near to residential area, limited transportation and road accessability, etc.)
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:57 am

For those of you who are well familiar with Istanbul and can follow in Turkish, the hospital's location and some preliminary details (supposedly to be at ISL (AHL) !!!) can be seen in the following link:

https://tolgaozbek.com/haberler/ataturk ... yapiliyor/

This site is definitely and only it the neighborhood of the Airport and you can see that it's in a very unsuitable location.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24264
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:04 pm

TK787 wrote:

Latest news from TK; international flight suspension extended till May 1st :(


Shame the 2 blue tails ruined a good picture ;)
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks for the details mafaky. It says the hospital will be finished in 45 days. I hope that is fast enough. Why didn't they start much sooner?
I am surprised that there are no available places to quickly be turned into hospitals. NY got its convention center "Javitts Center" turned into a makeshift hospital in about a week or so, with at least 2500 beds. And it is one of few others.
 
emre787
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
I mentioned a few days ago that TC-LSN was at Edinburgh. It sure had an interesting routing. It took off from Edinburgh, diverted to Zurich, landed at Sivas for the probably the reason that emre explained and back to IST..


Yes, exactly. There are still many repatriation flights to bring back Turkish citizen and mostly students back to Turkey.

Here are some of the destinations/flights I've seen in the last week:

77W: Kabul, Kuwait, London LHR, Amsterdam, Dubai DWC, Casablanca, Kyiv, Algiers, Mexico City/Cancun
A333: Warsaw (also Prague I believe)
A321: Marseille
and probably many more...

They mostly flew to IST, but as the capacity there is also not unlimited some flights flew to other destinations, e.g. IAD 787 to ADB, last JFK 777 to ESB, but also KWI to OGU Ordu-Giresun with a 77W!

Also many pilgrimage flights from JED and MED went to Konya KYA, some friends have been on those flights.

Besides TK, Air Algerie A332 flew to Samsun SZF (and IIRC to IST) to fly back Algerians and Ethiopian flew Turkish citizen from ADD to Izmir with a 788. Also Uzbekistan Airways 767 and Air Astana A321 both brought back Turkish students from Tashkent and respectively Astana/Nur-Sultan to Antalya.

I hope that I could give you an interesting list of flights created by the ongoing situation
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:19 pm

TK787 wrote:
Thanks for the details mafaky. It says the hospital will be finished in 45 days. I hope that is fast enough. Why didn't they start much sooner?
I am surprised that there are no available places to quickly be turned into hospitals. NY got its convention center "Javitts Center" turned into a makeshift hospital in about a week or so, with at least 2500 beds. And it is one of few others.


Well, first bite your lips: latest rumors whisper that the said site is now dismissed. Will keep you informed as soon as fresh news emerge! :|

Venues/facilities like convention halls, covered roof sports facilities and the like are "sacred places" and our totally future oriented, forward planning Administration cannot convert them into temporary hospitals. "Construction" is their first, foremost and only strategy!!! :banghead: :(

Don't even ask why they haven't started sooner! Late is better than the late!!! :twisted:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:46 pm

Not sure what to make of these photos of construction started though...
https://www.airporthaber.com/ahl-haberl ... lendi.html
Turks can't get rid of the CONSTRUCTION virus :)
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:14 pm

TK787 wrote:
Not sure what to make of these photos of construction started though...
https://www.airporthaber.com/ahl-haberl ... lendi.html
Turks can't get rid of the CONSTRUCTION virus :)

Well, you posted the "good news" :oops: :twisted: before I could. It seems that they are going to demolish part of that 17R/35L runway which is 3.000 mt. long. What you see in those photos is the southern part of the runway, nearer to the Marmara seaside. They cannot completely demolish the northern part as there are the General Aviation Terminal & hangar facilities adjacent to that runway. But, in my guess, they may demolish at least half of that runway.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
User avatar
A321Lufthansa
Posts: 243
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:40 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:40 pm

TK787 wrote:
Not sure what to make of these photos of construction started though...
https://www.airporthaber.com/ahl-haberl ... lendi.html
Turks can't get rid of the CONSTRUCTION virus :)

Plenty of aircrafts parked at the terminal is on storage?
Last flown aircrafts: A320 OE-LBO < A21N CS-TJO < A21N CS-TXC < E190 CS-TPQ < A319 F-GRXC < A321 F-GTAH < B738 SP-LWF < E175 SP-LII < A320 OE-LBL < A320 OE-LBU < A319 OE-LDE < A320 OE-LBZ < A320 D-AIPL < A319 D-AIBA
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:14 pm

A321Lufthansa wrote:
Plenty of aircrafts parked at the terminal is on storage?


Naturally!... More TK frames may be stored (parked) at AHL if TK will not start near-to-full scale operations after May1st.

Storage/parking fees at ISL (AHL) are much lower than what IGA charges at IST!
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
User avatar
TK105
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:54 pm

mafaky wrote:
It seems that they are going to demolish part of that 17R/35L runway which is 3.000 mt. long. What you see in those photos is the southern part of the runway, nearer to the Marmara seaside. They cannot completely demolish the northern part as there are the General Aviation Terminal & hangar facilities adjacent to that runway. But, in my guess, they may demolish at least half of that runway.

This is a shame. The idea of using AHL for a temporary emergency hospital is because it has excellent connectivity to the city via ring roads and seaside road. But the location they build this temporary hospital can not benefit this connectivity and it would be difficult to access this hospital for stuff, patients and general public. Moreover they are ruining this airport runways for such a bad idea. Another “rezalet”.

Image
The future is in the skies.
 
User avatar
TKflyer
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:35 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:01 pm

TC–RBD msn 9349 Airbus A321–251NX ex D–AYAD, named „Azra“ was delivered yesterday (09/04/2020)
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Again, things are moving very rapidly.
TK starts to sell IST-JFK tickets again, starting May 1st, 3 x Daily. (Lowest Y fares $350 each way)
According to the latest models, if current distancing rules stay in place, NY daily death tolls from COVID19 could be down to 10 people by May 1st (fingers crossed). But who would want to fly I have no idea??
 
marcogr12
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:11 pm

I think it's at least overambitious,if not crazy, to think that they can start right away with 3 daily, given the huge decrease in demand and the death toll rising in Turkey and how things are in New York..Even if things do get better it will take some time before normality returns and people want to start travelling,esp. to places that have been hit so hard and the virus situation is still unclear how it will evolve..I'd say 1 daily would be more than enough now...
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..
 
acechip
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:22 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:45 am

The future of hubs will greatly depend on the future of nationalistic policies. The traditional East-meets-West via West-Asia may not have much favour in future because it essentially propagates many-to-many model of traffic. The very thing that is uncontrollable in the face of a pandemic. I see , atleast for the time being, a more controlled access , point-to-point services and massive decline in casual travel for holidays.MAybe after a vaccine is successfully deployed, and the economic costs of this pandemic are absorbed, the airline routes may open up as before.
 
User avatar
TK105
Posts: 598
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:25 pm

TK787 wrote:
Again, things are moving very rapidly.
TK starts to sell IST-JFK tickets again, starting May 1st, 3 x Daily. (Lowest Y fares $350 each way)
According to the latest models, if current distancing rules stay in place, NY daily death tolls from COVID19 could be down to 10 people by May 1st (fingers crossed). But who would want to fly I have no idea??

As TK management are graduates of Kartal Imam-Hatip School, I’m curious how much they follow scientific advice.

Current situation of Covid19 pandemic according to “official” figures are as follows.
Image

Pandemics follow Probability Theory and have a Gaussian Distribution over time. Its distribution character changes based on restrictions issued by governments (figure from Wiki).
Image

As we are yet in the skirt of pandemic uprise, we can expect minimum 2 weeks but possibly 4 weeks to reach the summit of the pandemic. Summit will represent half time of the pandemic. From start to summit, total duration will be 6-10 weeks (which 4 week have already passed). We can expect another 6-10 weeks for pandemic to finish following the summit, if a 2nd wave does not happen.

I think we can expect start of early flights by end of May (earliest mid May), once pandemic downfall becomes sharp. Normal flight schedules may be resumed by end of June (earliest mid June) after the pandemic ends, assuming that economic activities returns to normal immediately and people start actively traveling as if nothing happened.
The future is in the skies.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24264
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:03 pm

I think we can expect some flights to return by June but nothing near to normal until next year unless TK are going to fly half empty planes around the globe. Mass tourism will be too scared to travel for a while and thats before you even take into account a massive downturn in corporate travel.
 
MeCe
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:19 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:36 pm

TK105 wrote:

I think we can expect start of early flights by end of May (earliest mid May), once pandemic downfall becomes sharp. Normal flight schedules may be resumed by end of June (earliest mid June) after the pandemic ends, assuming that economic activities returns to normal immediately and people start actively traveling as if nothing happened.


We missed that opportunity. After mess of mini curfew spread will increase wildly, we will see it next 10-15 day. Until yesterday I expect flights may start in june but now my guess is Turkey will close this summer with no flights.
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:50 pm

TK105 wrote:
As TK management are graduates of Kartal Imam-Hatip School, I’m curious how much they follow scientific advice.

As we are yet in the skirt of pandemic uprise, we can expect minimum 2 weeks but possibly 4 weeks to reach the summit of the pandemic. Summit will represent half time of the pandemic. From start to summit, total duration will be 6-10 weeks (which 4 week have already passed). We can expect another 6-10 weeks for pandemic to finish following the summit, if a 2nd wave does not happen.

I think we can expect start of early flights by end of May (earliest mid May), once pandemic downfall becomes sharp. Normal flight schedules may be resumed by end of June (earliest mid June) after the pandemic ends, assuming that economic activities returns to normal immediately and people start actively traveling as if nothing happened.


1) I don't think that Ilker Aycı is the very typical, short-sighted kind of Kartal Imam Hatip'li, but regretfully the Boss is far worse than that...
2) The possibility of a 2nd wave pandemic (globally, not only in Turkey and its neighborhood) is not zero chances; let's just cross or fingers that it will not ever happen!
3) I really don't give more than10% chance that people will start air travelling at a near future time, as if nothing has happened few months ago. That includes corporate traveling. China (being the "global factory" may be a little bit of exception. You cannot solve esp. technical matters with the Chinese unless you can speak Chinese English, intelligently. It takes one day (if not several hours) to solve matters with them when you meet them face to face, for something you try to solve and come to a mutual understanding remotely over weeks.
4) Charter flights will severely suffer for at least one year, starting from that Freedom Day; most likely. Smaller tour operators will more prefer to buy block seats on scheduled fights as they will find it risky to pre-book full plane loads. Consequently the tour selling prices will increase for the holiday travelers.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24264
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:26 pm

Interesting article

The Coronavirus Will Destroy Turkey’s Economy

As of April 7, Turkey had more than 34,000 coronavirus cases, with one of the world’s worst reported trajectories in terms of infection and with confirmed cases doubling every six days, compared with the world average of nine. However, there is concern that even this worrying figure is an undercount. When Ankara reported its first confirmed case on March 11, becoming the last major economy to do so, Ergin Kocyildirim of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine wrote a warning the same day under the title “Turkey’s Coronavirus Coverup Is A Disaster Waiting To Happen.”

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/04/08/th ... s-economy/


Now if true dont expect lots of tourists at the traditional beach resorts and even International transit passengers at IST. Foreign governments might not lift restrictions on their citizens travelling to or Via Turkey until the real situation is known.
 
Blerg
Posts: 3960
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:47 pm

Turkey needs to put this corona thing under control as the summer season is about to start in a month or two. Not only will tourism demand drop but they need to get as much as possible from the little there will be left.

Has Turkey fully recovered from the coup period slump?
 
EIBPI
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 pm

Blerg wrote:
Turkey needs to put this corona thing under control as the summer season is about to start in a month or two. Not only will tourism demand drop but they need to get as much as possible from the little there will be left.

Has Turkey fully recovered from the coup period slump?


I don't think anyone is expecting a summer travel season this year.
 
cuban8
Posts: 253
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:56 pm

Unfortunately, I believe this corona virus might bankrupt a few companies in Turkey. In a way, Turkey is used to crisis situations and it's aviation industry has gone through a lot, but this time they will not be able to wet-lease aircraft's around the world like they have done previously.

For sure Turkish Airlines will survive (and be saved like any flag carrier around the world). The question is how the remaining companies will look like after the corona. Pegasus and Sunexpress are of course very strong, but they are also the ones who has taken the risk of expanding aggressively with quite some aircraft commitments. I think Onur Air is the weakest Turkish carrier in the domestic market now that Atlas Jet is gone and I believe their Jeddah operation will be severely affected in these Ramadan times. They will definitely have some tough times ahead. The remaining charter operators will also have some very difficult times ahead. I'm not sure who is the strongest/weakest among Freebird, Corendon and Tailwind, but I have a hard time imagining all of them surviving a weak tourism season this summer.

I really hope I'm wrong about this corona virus since I have many friends in all the Turkish Aviation companies. If someone on this forum has better information or more details about the financial state of above mentioned companies, I would be very interested to hear your opinions.
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~
 
Blerg
Posts: 3960
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:58 pm

EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Turkey needs to put this corona thing under control as the summer season is about to start in a month or two. Not only will tourism demand drop but they need to get as much as possible from the little there will be left.

Has Turkey fully recovered from the coup period slump?


I don't think anyone is expecting a summer travel season this year.


It will depend on how well some countries control the spread of the virus.
 
Blerg
Posts: 3960
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:00 pm

I know the government will come to rescue TK but what about other airlines? I mean Pegasus is quite big and its bankruptcy would negatively affect the economy.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13022
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Turkey needs to put this corona thing under control as the summer season is about to start in a month or two. Not only will tourism demand drop but they need to get as much as possible from the little there will be left.

Has Turkey fully recovered from the coup period slump?


I don't think anyone is expecting a summer travel season this year.


It will depend on how well some countries control the spread of the virus.


Well one way to control it is to close borders and not allow anyone in or out !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
Blerg
Posts: 3960
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:51 am

Aesma wrote:
Blerg wrote:
EIBPI wrote:

I don't think anyone is expecting a summer travel season this year.


It will depend on how well some countries control the spread of the virus.


Well one way to control it is to close borders and not allow anyone in or out !


Yes but not for an indefinite period of time. That's the whole point. Here in Serbia the situation is under control and the state of emergency will most likely be lifted at the end of the month. So from May things might go back to normal. So why shouldn't someone think of going for holidays in two months?
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24264
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:26 am

Way too early to be thinking about lifting restrictions and any sensible government will do it slowly to see what implications its having. In Ireland we are on lockdown until 5/5 and have been told this will not be the day things are lifted. When things are slowly relaxed it will mean a hardware store can open again not flights with hundreds of people inside heading off on holidays. I know nobody who normally travel extensively who are even contemplating a holiday before October and many not until New Year. There is also the point that travel insurance will not cover any trips. If a second wave does come they risk being stranded just like we have seen .
 
Blerg
Posts: 3960
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:12 am

OA260 wrote:
Way too early to be thinking about lifting restrictions and any sensible government will do it slowly to see what implications its having. In Ireland we are on lockdown until 5/5 and have been told this will not be the day things are lifted. When things are slowly relaxed it will mean a hardware store can open again not flights with hundreds of people inside heading off on holidays. I know nobody who normally travel extensively who are even contemplating a holiday before October and many not until New Year. There is also the point that travel insurance will not cover any trips. If a second wave does come they risk being stranded just like we have seen .


No one said that governments will lift all restrictions tomorrow. What is being said is that countries that managed to effectively counter corona will be among the first whose people will start thinking about travelling abroad. Just because something is the case in Ireland doesn't mean it's the rule for everywhere else as well, neither are your contacts or friends. That is why I gave the case of Serbia where the situation was under control from day 1. Restrictions will be eased after Easter (19.04) meaning life will start to slowly return to normal. That means that by July/August many will be able to travel abroad and most Serbs will probably go to Montenegro and Greece depending on how things turn out there.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24264
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:37 am

Blerg wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Way too early to be thinking about lifting restrictions and any sensible government will do it slowly to see what implications its having. In Ireland we are on lockdown until 5/5 and have been told this will not be the day things are lifted. When things are slowly relaxed it will mean a hardware store can open again not flights with hundreds of people inside heading off on holidays. I know nobody who normally travel extensively who are even contemplating a holiday before October and many not until New Year. There is also the point that travel insurance will not cover any trips. If a second wave does come they risk being stranded just like we have seen .


No one said that governments will lift all restrictions tomorrow. What is being said is that countries that managed to effectively counter corona will be among the first whose people will start thinking about travelling abroad. Just because something is the case in Ireland doesn't mean it's the rule for everywhere else as well, neither are your contacts or friends. That is why I gave the case of Serbia where the situation was under control from day 1. Restrictions will be eased after Easter (19.04) meaning life will start to slowly return to normal. That means that by July/August many will be able to travel abroad and most Serbs will probably go to Montenegro and Greece depending on how things turn out there.



You will only be allowed to travel abroad if the both governments have the same advice and if the transit countries ( where applicable ) allow it. Those that might be able to travel in July and August will be the minority. Just because Serbia has it under control now does not mean that they will not get another wave once any restrictions are eased. This Summer indeed will not be a huge success or a major travelling period for most.
 
stylo777
Posts: 2808
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:49 am

totally agree on OA260's points; it's just not that easy. countries with the highest volume of outbound travellers have currently laws in place restricting any travel to any country. I'm talking about the ones likes Germany, UK, France, Switzerland, Italy (just a few examples from Europe). On top of that, on your return you have to self-isolate yourself for 14days minimum. Sure, restrictions can be lifted or at least loosen a bit; however, it's just too risky for any tourist-focussy country to jump on this train now and allow inbound tourism in near future. And I believe the same is truth for Turkey (and actually is the most senseful thing...).

In regards to insolvency of other carriers:
- IMHO TK, PC, XQ are going through liquidity challenges, but will be ok; in particular due to the fact that the biggest four airports in Turkey are evenly distributed among them (at least for domestic travel: TK - IST / PC - SAW / ADB and AYT - XQ). This is quite important during a ramp-up phase in a domestic heavy market like Turkey;
- Onur depends on the Saudia ops; unless SV cancels the wet-lease agreement, they will also survice;
- Freebird (Gözen Holding) and Corendon (Corengon Group/Triton/Sunweb) have big companies currently backing them; bigger liquidity challenges for sure, but I'm sure they will also survive;
- Tailwand is for me the greatest questionmark; one of the founders and currently chairman is Kadri Muhiddin (who also is chairman of AMAC Aerospace - a Switzerland based MRO); very knowledgable guy, but I don't have any insight to the overall financing of Tailwand operations
 
Blerg
Posts: 3960
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:08 pm

OA260 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Way too early to be thinking about lifting restrictions and any sensible government will do it slowly to see what implications its having. In Ireland we are on lockdown until 5/5 and have been told this will not be the day things are lifted. When things are slowly relaxed it will mean a hardware store can open again not flights with hundreds of people inside heading off on holidays. I know nobody who normally travel extensively who are even contemplating a holiday before October and many not until New Year. There is also the point that travel insurance will not cover any trips. If a second wave does come they risk being stranded just like we have seen .


No one said that governments will lift all restrictions tomorrow. What is being said is that countries that managed to effectively counter corona will be among the first whose people will start thinking about travelling abroad. Just because something is the case in Ireland doesn't mean it's the rule for everywhere else as well, neither are your contacts or friends. That is why I gave the case of Serbia where the situation was under control from day 1. Restrictions will be eased after Easter (19.04) meaning life will start to slowly return to normal. That means that by July/August many will be able to travel abroad and most Serbs will probably go to Montenegro and Greece depending on how things turn out there.



You will only be allowed to travel abroad if the both governments have the same advice and if the transit countries ( where applicable ) allow it. Those that might be able to travel in July and August will be the minority. Just because Serbia has it under control now does not mean that they will not get another wave once any restrictions are eased. This Summer indeed will not be a huge success or a major travelling period for most.


There might be another wave but it doesn't mean they will not be ready to handle it. Don't forget that around 400.000 Serbs returned to Serbia before corona causing a major spike in infections. Even with all that our healthcare system has not collapsed and we managed to weather the storm. There are other countries out there that have a similar scenario like Serbia. These countries are the first ones that will return to stability and normalcy. It's from markets such as those that tourism will start recovering first and countries such as Egypt, Tunis, Turkey, Greece, Cyprus... will welcome them. If Turkey is not ready to at least get a small part of tourism this year it might negatively affect their economy. That's the whole point.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 24264
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:03 pm

stylo777 wrote:
totally agree on OA260's points; it's just not that easy. countries with the highest volume of outbound travellers have currently laws in place restricting any travel to any country. I'm talking about the ones likes Germany, UK, France, Switzerland, Italy (just a few examples from Europe). On top of that, on your return you have to self-isolate yourself for 14days minimum.s


Todays interview is maybe a warning :

As well as warning Europe's elderly population, and those with pre-existing health conditions, that they may need to stay isolated for the rest of the year, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen has warned EU nationals against booking their summer vacation just yet.

https://amp.dw.com/en/coronavirus-lates ... a-53097901
 
User avatar
TK787
Topic Author
Posts: 4470
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:43 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:36 pm

OA260 wrote:
I know nobody who normally travel extensively who are even contemplating a holiday before October and many not until New Year.

I for one, who used to fly once a week, still can not bring myself to buy a ticket for next March :( for a pre-planned vacation.
I am still trying to get refunds from few trips, few flights.... some cancelled, some in the coming months, most not covered by travel insurance.
But most importantly, I want to feel 100% safe when I set foot on an airplane, airport, on a new country that I will not get infected, or yet worse; infect someone else. Or get stuck in limbo between two countries due to closed borders/cancelled flights.
And all this traveling should bring me joy, happiness, relaxation with minimum stress. Is it worth it? Is this the right time?
 
leftcoast8
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:59 pm

If YVR ends up going ahead in June, what will be the most popular connecting routes? Or will it mostly be O&D to Turkey?

My bet is on TLV, BEY, IKA, DXB, DOH, RUH.
 
LLA001
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun May 08, 2005 7:36 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:27 am

TK787 wrote:

Latest news from TK; international flight suspension extended till May 1st :(


Wow, thank you for sharing my photo :)

Constructionvirus is a very well definition, can't get rid of it. I still do not understand why they are building a makeshift hospital ( ruining two runways at the same time, bir taş ile iki kuş vurma?) instead of converting the existing terminals? Or even the convention center which will not be used till September anyway? They both have hvac systems and in the case of the airport terminals, they need some repairs and servicing after not being used for a year. Both have open floor systems which means you can easily install required mechanical and electrical system for ICU rooms, op-rooms and etc. In a week or two they could have been readied to admit patients.

You can always counter argue that a new building will be more efficient and tailored for Covid-19 crisis but since these are temporary measures ( whatever you build in 45 days is not permanent without proper prior prep.) converting existing facilities would be much quicker and cost effective.

But then it is not glamorous as saying "oh we built a hospital in 45 days" ( probably they will not use the name Atatürk Airport but say Yeşilköy Yerleşkesi or something.) Lets see who is the pre-selected contractor who will benefit form this crisis.

I am sad that political decisions dominate even in health crisis such as these but am I suprised?
 
User avatar
mafaky
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:04 am

Re: Turkish Aviation April 2020

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Latest news and photos as how a could-be-totally operational airport is demolished by a "State Breed Virus" which actually is more deadly than the current Covid-19!

Pls. see (sorry text is in Turkish only!): https://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik- ... surat.html

Both of the 17/35 (northerly) runways are now already gone!... The General Aviation Terminal and hangar facilities will likely be re-located in the area that was evacuated by the militray but even that is a big and costly as well as time-taking operation! :ashamed: :banghead: :banghead:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos