Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

trex8
Topic Author

CI freighter "hard" landings

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:27 pm

I vaguely recall something on anet about this at the time but of course I can't find it anywhere searching!

Report on pre threshold landing by CI 744F at TPE Dec 2108
https://taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/arc ... 2003733782

"Investigators found that the pilot’s lack of alertness could be attributed to a lack of sleep the previous night, when he had slept with his child

It was a copilot’s inappropriate operation of the aircraft and the pilot’s insufficient alertness that led to a hard landing of a China Airlines cargo flight on Dec. 13, 2018, the Taiwan Transportation Safety Board said yesterday."

Anyone have any news on the grass landing at ORD by a CI 744F June 2018- nothing new on NTSB site I could find, shouldn't there be something by now??
http://avherald.com/h?article=4ba33b1c

roadrunner165

Re: CI freighter "hard" landings

Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:59 pm

"...when he slept with his child." What does that even mean?

Like, he had a slumber party with the kids before I went to work, stayed up too late, and wasn't well rested. Or like, he's a pedophile? Something is obviously lost in translation here.

trex8
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:20 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:

Like, he had a slumber party with the kids before I went to work, stayed up too late, and wasn't well rested. Or like, he's a pedophile? Something is obviously lost in translation here.

I would hope he was up all night taking care of his kid who wasn't sleeping, possibly ill? If it was pedophilia/incest, that pilot would have a lot more to worry about from the Taiwan authorities than just career issues!

leleko747

Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:39 am

he probably meant that his child was ill, maybe crying too much, and the father took care of him late night... thus, not sleeping well. Maybe they just didn't use the right words, I guess.
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

Ziyulu

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:17 am

Do these incidents count against CI's safety? CI had a pretty bad safety record in the 90s.

smi0006

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:28 am

roadrunner165 wrote:

What?

You’ve never heard of a young toddler having a nightmare or getting scared and climbing into bed with their parents before? Come on, common sense here people. Seem a common form of sleep deprivation for all parents of young children. Nature torture.

ei146

Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:20 am

No, it is just that in some countries certain English words used in a certain context, have a completly different meaning then in others or to what a foreigner would expect. And sometimes there is very little awareness in these countries that their use and interpretation of the English language is a very local thing and NOT universally shared by all English speakers.
I saw English men speaking their native British English being completly misunderstood in the USA. Or people from India being very surprised that other English speakers had problems understanding them.
And then there are some people who in case of doubt will always assume the worst and most offending.

AA737-823

Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:16 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:

I'm guessing you don't have children...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos