Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

32andBelow

Re: Ravn Alaska closing its doors?

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:40 am

rfields5421 wrote:
I really know very little about Alaska, but I understand many communities depend on air transport for everything from medical care to mail to fuel in some cases.

Is there any option in the emergency for military/national guard air assets to be used for communities with no service.

No one is making any money of passenger traffic right now. Story in Dallas today that max load on AA from NYC one recent day was 27 pax. Can't even pay the crew with that small load.

I'm sure loads are as low on a comparative basis in Alaska.

All the communities have service already. There’s a lot of pet 135 operators in Alaska. It just not be as efficient as they were used to.

mcg

Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm

32andBelow wrote:
mcg wrote:
It would seem to me that if ever there was a community that required essential air service it would be Dutch Harbor.

Dutch harbor doesn’t need essential air service. It made enough money that Alaska airlines was purchasing 100 seats a day each way from Penair. It’s a huge market. In fact it’s the hub community for the EAS routes of Nikolai, ATKA and others.

I wonder if the judge is just going to convert them to chapter 7 immediately.

My point is that air service to Dutch Harbor is actually physically 'essential' because it is without highway connections to anywhere. Didn't express that well. Plus, how are they going to film Deadliest Catch?

EA CO AS

Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:07 pm

mcg wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
mcg wrote:
It would seem to me that if ever there was a community that required essential air service it would be Dutch Harbor.

Dutch harbor doesn’t need essential air service. It made enough money that Alaska airlines was purchasing 100 seats a day each way from Penair. It’s a huge market. In fact it’s the hub community for the EAS routes of Nikolai, ATKA and others.

My point is that air service to Dutch Harbor is actually physically 'essential' because it is without highway connections to anywhere. Didn't express that well. Plus, how are they going to film Deadliest Catch?

Way back when I was a res agent we had the DUTANC flight cancel due to weather. A travel agent was calling, pissed that her client was standing there tearing her a new one over why his employee couldn’t get out. She said, “Then here’s what’s going to happen - you’re going to charter a bus to get him to Anchorage!”

Try as I might, she just didn’t get that a bus wasn’t going to be sufficient. People just don’t get the concept of living in certain parts of AK.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

alaskan9974
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:26 pm

usxguy wrote:
And for today's episode of As The Prop Spins...

"North Slope Borough mayor signs order seizing Ravn’s North Slope assets
APRIL 6, 2020 BY JEFF LANDFIELD
The Alaska Landmine has obtained an emergency order, signed by North Slope Borough Mayor Harry Brower, that orders the seizure of all RavnAir assets located on the North Slope. The order can be seen here:"

https://alaskalandmine.com/landmines/no ... pe-assets/

The state of alaska is contesting this claim as illegitimate.

The NSB is proposing giving these facilities to Wright’s air service and Ryan air for use to serve communities in that region.

32andBelow

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:42 pm

roadrunner165

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:42 am

Ravens CEO Dave Pflieger asked Alaskans to get on social media to ask the president to step in.

A bail out for the private equity firms who loaded the company up with debt? Yeah, no thanks. There are plenty of other operators around the state to pick up the slack. Let them go under.

crj900lr

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:01 am

mcg wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
mcg wrote:

Deadliest Catch is all scripted and most of it is fake anyway. The few shots of Dutch Harbor that they may need can be used from previous episodes to make it seem like its happening currently. I'm sure that there will be another airline that will jump in and provide some service to these communities/cities.

aemoreira1981

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:16 am

At this point, Alaska should plan for Wright and Ryan Air to fill the gap. Ravn should be persuaded to sell its owned tangible assets to the two.

32andBelow

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:34 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
At this point, Alaska should plan for Wright and Ryan Air to fill the gap. Ravn should be persuaded to sell its owned tangible assets to the two.

You realiZe those two airlines are tiny and don’t have any money right

NameOmitted

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:35 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:

And Grant, and Bering Air, and Wings of Alaska. We have the most pilots per capita of anywhere in the nation. Its but like we won't have options when Ravn goes into Chapter 7.

Kaphias

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:28 am

NameOmitted wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

And Grant, and Bering Air, and Wings of Alaska. We have the most pilots per capita of anywhere in the nation. Its but like we won't have options when Ravn goes into Chapter 7.

Wings of Alaska doesn't exist. Alaska Seaplanes is essentially their replacement but I don't think they have any interest in expanding beyond Southeast, and Ravn didn't operate down here anyways.

32andBelow

Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:46 am

None of those operators have big enough planes for places like AKN DLG DUT UNK

roadrunner165

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:17 pm

Well, having 90+ million in debt didn’t work out too well for Raven, now did it. The horrible customer service didn’t help any, either.

It will take time, but other carriers will step in and fill the gaps. Sounds like there are plenty of Raven assets gonna be coming up for sale shortly.

32andBelow

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:35 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:
Well, having 90+ million in debt didn’t work out too well for Raven, now did it. The horrible customer service didn’t help any, either.

It will take time, but other carriers will step in and fill the gaps. Sounds like there are plenty of Raven assets gonna be coming up for sale shortly.

Alaska needs to bring some e175s up and re establish themselves as Alaska’s airline imo.

roadrunner165

Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:35 pm

I would love to see Horizon come in with E-175s and expand service within the state of Alaska. Even here in Nome, I'd take three E-175s a day as opposed to current two 737s. Unalakleet could probably support a daily E-175 with a small EAS bump.

32andBelow

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:50 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:
I would love to see Horizon come in with E-175s and expand service within the state of Alaska. Even here in Nome, I'd take three E-175s a day as opposed to current two 737s. Unalakleet could probably support a daily E-175 with a small EAS bump.

Ena hom could fill 2-4 a day. AKN/DLG could be 2x triangle and more in the summer

mga707

Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 pm

Kaphias wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Wings of Alaska doesn't exist. Alaska Seaplanes is essentially their replacement but I don't think they have any interest in expanding beyond Southeast, and Ravn didn't operate down here anyways.

When did Wings Of Alaska fold? Flew them 10 years ago this summer Juneau-Gustavus and return, on either end of a full-day Glacier Bay cruise. I remember waiting to board our Cessna at Gustavus that evening for the return flight and one of the passengers for another of their single-engined aircraft was freaking out that she was getting on a 'puddle-jumper' rather than the Alaska Airlines 737-400 parked next door. Me, I enjoyed the flights immensely.

Chugach

Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:50 pm

mga707 wrote:
Kaphias wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

When did Wings Of Alaska fold? Flew them 10 years ago this summer Juneau-Gustavus and return, on either end of a full-day Glacier Bay cruise. I remember waiting to board our Cessna at Gustavus that evening for the return flight and one of the passengers for another of their single-engined aircraft was freaking out that she was getting on a 'puddle-jumper' rather than the Alaska Airlines 737-400 parked next door. Me, I enjoyed the flights immensely.

usxguy

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:14 pm

mga707 wrote:

Wings of Alaska was bought by SeaPort investors in 2008 and BECAME SeaPort. WAK shut down with the rest of Seaport.

One of the prinicipals for Alaska Seaplanes is one of the main guys behind Seaport.
xx

FlyingElvii

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:19 am

Just speculating, but do the Silver ATR’s have the legs to get into Dutch?

32andBelow

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:48 am

FlyingElvii wrote:

Yah and their Saab’s. They’re flight crews are going to crash tho

32andBelow

Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:38 am

Apparently they filed some paperwork with bankruptcy court that they plan on liquidating unless they get a huge cares loan. The next hearing is Wednesday.

Lootess

Thu May 07, 2020 12:24 am

32andBelow wrote:
https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/04/28/ravn-files-plan-to-liquidate-as-bankruptcy-proceeds/

Quite a casualty, the bankrupcy judge still hasn't approved it yet as of today but i'm betting we have seen the last of those 72 aircraft flying for Ravn.

F9Animal

Thu May 07, 2020 5:57 am

FlyingElvii wrote:

I don't think the ATR would be healthy anywhere in Alaska.
I Am A Different Animal!!

32andBelow

Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 am

F9Animal wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Empire flies it.

TWA902fly

Fri May 08, 2020 5:26 am

32andBelow wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

Empire flies it.

As do Air North, First Air, and Calm Air, in very similar conditions in Canada.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

32andBelow

Fri May 15, 2020 6:51 am

JUNEAU—Alaska Seaplanes, the premier commuter airline of Southeast Alaska, has tendered an offer to acquire the operating certificate and assets of RavnAir Group’s subsidiary Peninsula Airways (PenAir). Alaska Seaplanes’ offer will restore service to a handful of communities by as early as June if RavnAir Group and its creditors move quickly to consummate a sale. The now-insolvent RavnAir Group, which is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, has initiated a plan to liquidate and dispose of its assets through a liquidation trust of which the PenAir certificate and assets are part.
“Spinning off PenAir’s operating certificate, prior to the first week in June is critical as the certificate only has a small window of time before it expires or must be surrendered back to the FAA as per government regulations. The Alaska Seaplanes plan will allow creditors the opportunity to monetize the PenAir certificate, while it still has value, capitalizing on a narrow window of opportunity to restart PenAir as a stand-alone independent company, and resume operations quickly. We are excited to begin a new chapter of PenAir’s history once again with Alaskan leadership, and a return to the spirit of service upon which the company was founded—a culture of safety and community partnership that defines Alaska Seaplanes as well,” said Mike Stedman, Co-owner of Alaska Seaplanes.
Juneau-based Kalinin Holdings, Inc. dba “Alaska Seaplanes” is owned by the Stedman and Craford families and has distinguished itself as one of the fastest growing commuter airlines in the state over the last decade. The company operates passenger, cargo and charter service throughout Southeast Alaska. The new PenAir division would be led by Alaska Seaplanes board member Wayne Heller, a veteran airline executive with extensive experience in running regional airlines.
“PenAir was once a safe, profitable airline with a proud history, a pillar of the Alaska aviation community. Alaska Seaplanes is just such a company, now, and we are best positioned to rebuild PenAir and its relationships with the communities it serves,” said Heller.
“I remember well PenAir’s best years, and am confident that under Wayne’s day-to-day management, we can rebuild PenAir into one of the best regional airlines in the state, if not the country,” added Stedman.
Financing for the transaction is provided by a partnership between the Stedman and Craford families and Wexford Capital. Note: Alaska State Senator Bert Stedman is a relative of James “Mike” Stedman but has no ownership in Alaska Seaplanes and is not a party to the transaction.

Chugach

Fri May 15, 2020 6:05 pm

32andBelow wrote:
JUNEAU—Alaska Seaplanes, the premier commuter airline of Southeast Alaska, has tendered an offer to acquire the operating certificate and assets of RavnAir Group’s subsidiary Peninsula Airways (PenAir). Alaska Seaplanes’ offer will restore service to a handful of communities by as early as June if RavnAir Group and its creditors move quickly to consummate a sale. The now-insolvent RavnAir Group, which is currently in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, has initiated a plan to liquidate and dispose of its assets through a liquidation trust of which the PenAir certificate and assets are part.
“Spinning off PenAir’s operating certificate, prior to the first week in June is critical as the certificate only has a small window of time before it expires or must be surrendered back to the FAA as per government regulations. The Alaska Seaplanes plan will allow creditors the opportunity to monetize the PenAir certificate, while it still has value, capitalizing on a narrow window of opportunity to restart PenAir as a stand-alone independent company, and resume operations quickly. We are excited to begin a new chapter of PenAir’s history once again with Alaskan leadership, and a return to the spirit of service upon which the company was founded—a culture of safety and community partnership that defines Alaska Seaplanes as well,” said Mike Stedman, Co-owner of Alaska Seaplanes.
Juneau-based Kalinin Holdings, Inc. dba “Alaska Seaplanes” is owned by the Stedman and Craford families and has distinguished itself as one of the fastest growing commuter airlines in the state over the last decade. The company operates passenger, cargo and charter service throughout Southeast Alaska. The new PenAir division would be led by Alaska Seaplanes board member Wayne Heller, a veteran airline executive with extensive experience in running regional airlines.
“PenAir was once a safe, profitable airline with a proud history, a pillar of the Alaska aviation community. Alaska Seaplanes is just such a company, now, and we are best positioned to rebuild PenAir and its relationships with the communities it serves,” said Heller.
“I remember well PenAir’s best years, and am confident that under Wayne’s day-to-day management, we can rebuild PenAir into one of the best regional airlines in the state, if not the country,” added Stedman.
Financing for the transaction is provided by a partnership between the Stedman and Craford families and Wexford Capital. Note: Alaska State Senator Bert Stedman is a relative of James “Mike” Stedman but has no ownership in Alaska Seaplanes and is not a party to the transaction.

Huh, interesting.

32andBelow

Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 pm

Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Huh, interesting.

No quite sure why Alaska seaplanes wants to go out of business.

Kaphias

Fri May 15, 2020 6:36 pm

I'm absolutely f--- floored. My goodness.

Kaphias

Fri May 15, 2020 7:24 pm

So since it's just PenAir, what assets does that include? A handful of SAABs? Any buildings?

32andBelow

Fri May 15, 2020 7:36 pm

Kaphias wrote:
So since it's just PenAir, what assets does that include? A handful of SAABs? Any buildings?

Penair has 2 hangars but I imagine ravn owns those now and would need to be purchased separate.

All the 2000s are leased. All they are really getting is a 121 certificate.

MO11

Fri May 15, 2020 10:18 pm

32andBelow wrote:

Interesting that Wexford was the competing bidder for PenAir in the 2018 bankruptcy auction.

32andBelow

Sat May 16, 2020 1:46 am

MO11 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Interesting that Wexford was the competing bidder for PenAir in the 2018 bankruptcy auction.

Wexford was an investor in penair when they needed money before the first bankruptcy.

Also hearing rumors that the seyberts are involved somehow.

usxguy

Sat May 16, 2020 5:39 am

Ill bet ya the KS certificate is free of all the financial debt & obligations of 7H... if so, very smart move by Kent & Mike.
xx

Ishrion

Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 am

Ravn Alaska has been approved to seek support from the CARES Act.

https://twitter.com/RavnAlaska/status/1 ... 2631847937

32andBelow

Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 am

Ishrion wrote:
Ravn Alaska has been approved to seek support from the CARES Act.

https://twitter.com/RavnAlaska/status/1 ... 2631847937

Their plan is batshit. I predict the creditors are going to advise them to sell the penair feet immediately.

NameOmitted

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:27 am

Ravn Air Group will go to the auction block after declaring bankruptcy: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2020/06/25/alaskas-biggest-rural-airline-will-go-to-the-auction-block-after-declaring-bankruptcy/

Auction to be held after the 4th holiday.

Who is Float Shuttle?

32andBelow

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:29 am

NameOmitted wrote:
Ravn Air Group will go to the auction block after declaring bankruptcy: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/aviation/2020/06/25/alaskas-biggest-rural-airline-will-go-to-the-auction-block-after-declaring-bankruptcy/

Who is Float Shuttle?

Looks like some sort of Uber for planes in California. Guaranteed they are just Interested in the 135cert and maybe the hageland planes. They’d prolly just take them to California.

ytib

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 am

NameOmitted wrote:

Who is Float Shuttle?

https://www.floatshuttle.com/about
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

NameOmitted

Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:19 pm

The sealed auction is today, court proceedings tomorrow should let us know the resaults:

https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2020/07/06/ravn-air-group-to-be-auctioned-in-closed-door-event-tuesday/

NameOmitted

Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:12 am

The small aircraft were sold to various existing Alaskan regional carriers yesterday, the Qs and SAABs, as well as 2 of the 3 operating certificates were to be sold today.

Today's auction was cancelled, as apparently the bids were not attractive enough for Ravn to proceed.

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2020/07/08/ravnair-cancels-auction-for-remaining-planes-calling-rural-hub-service-into-question/

LAXintl

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:18 am

Los Angeles Air-Shuttle Service to Buy Ravn Assets for $8 Million and Serve Alaska
https://www.wsj.com/articles/los-angele ... 1594338797

A startup Los Angeles air-shuttle service will expand into Alaska after receiving approval to buy planes and other assets from a bankrupt airline. California-based Float Shuttle Inc. struck an $8 million deal shortly before a bankruptcy-court hearing on Thursday to take over at least six planes as well as certain terminal leases, intellectual property and two Federal Aviation Administration certificates from Ravn Air Group Inc. of Anchorage, Alaska.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

32andBelow

Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:59 am

So this is whacky. Apparently float shuttle is seaport and the current ceo of ravn is involved. TMZ level information but that’s what I’ve heard.

gmcc

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:19 pm

So a warm weather start up is taking over a cold weather operation. Not sure how well that will turn out. Hopefully they aren't in over their heads. Good luck to all involved.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:49 pm

https://www.newravn.com/

Any Silicon Valley fans here? New new RAVN.

FURUREFA

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:02 am

They are re-hiring the existing management team, but that should help.

32andBelow

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:38 am

FURUREFA wrote:
They are re-hiring the existing management team, but that should help.

I’ve heard a lot of people have declined offers

bennett123

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:50 am

Is hiring the same management team a smart move?.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos