Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NameOmitted

Re: Ravn Alaska closing its doors?

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:58 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Is hiring the same management team a smart move?.

Is buying an airline during a pandemic smart?

I think this venture may be more motivated by optimism then by design.

JBo

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:43 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Buying an airline in Alaska is probably smarter than buying an airline anywhere else, since air travel is a far more crucial link up there than in the rest of the country.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

scntekir

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

IMHO it's a great time to grab market share...
A wiser person than me said "lead, follow or get out of the way". I have been trying to "get out of the way" ever since...

bennett123

Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:11 pm

You are mis quoting me.

I said 'Is hiring the same management team a smart move'.

EA CO AS

Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:57 am

bennett123 wrote:
You are mis quoting me.

Define "management" - do you mean the executive leadership team, the operational leaders, etc? Either way, it's hard to infer that the team was inept or not worthy of keeping when you're dealing with a global pandemic that no one could have foreseen.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

smithbs

Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:41 am

bennett123 wrote:

If engaged smartly, they could tell you how to operate in that region, what the challenges are, and why they didn't have enough cash when it counted. Valuable information, if you play it right.

FURUREFA

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:56 am

EA CO AS wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
You are mis quoting me.

Define "management" - do you mean the executive leadership team, the operational leaders, etc? Either way, it's hard to infer that the team was inept or not worthy of keeping when you're dealing with a global pandemic that no one could have foreseen.

Ops leadership - helpful.

New ownership is optimistic but they're acquiring a bunch of assets just slightly above book value (ie. cheap). Dependence of cargo in the market is helpful. Frankly the two 121s in and of themselves are worth a decent amount.

Curious - why would folks not accept re-hire offers?

d8s

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:41 am

JBo wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Buying an airline in Alaska is probably smarter than buying an airline anywhere else, since air travel is a far more crucial link up there than in the rest of the country.

Boeing has a website to teach us how to start up our own airline. I imagine there are many on A.net who think they can go from arm chair CEO to actual CEO.

https://www.boeing.com/company/about-bc ... oeing.page

usxguy

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:56 am

FURUREFA wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
You are mis quoting me.

New ownership is optimistic but they're acquiring a bunch of assets just slightly above book value (ie. cheap). Dependence of cargo in the market is helpful. Frankly the two 121s in and of themselves are worth a decent amount.

Well, you have the FAA mandated "5 wisemen" who can't really be replaced - those come with the certificate. It could be that some staff don't want to work for XXX (insert person's name) again; such as the Chief Pilot, Dir of Maintenance, Dir of Ops, etc. So FLOAT will have to keep them, and then still meet the operation parameters, security protocols, etc. Unfortunately Ravn & PenAir were shut down too long to just "turn the keys" and *poof* be ready to go.

They are, however lightyears ahead of the new Wexford/Seaplanes option. Via Air doesn't even have ops specs for Alaska. Not sure ERJ 145s or E120s are the best option for Alaska, so they'll need to add a new fleet type to the cert & do proving runs, so that's at least 6 months away. And that's a big IF the US DOT allows the scheduled authority to remain intact.
xx

alaskan9974
Topic Author

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:19 pm

FURUREFA wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
You are mis quoting me.

I have heard the same from employees there now, they will not be returning once their time is up and will be moving on, lack of faith in management that was retained.

Seems they will dump the smaller operations and focus on the Dash routes to larger cities.

32andBelow

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:50 pm

usxguy wrote:
FURUREFA wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Well, you have the FAA mandated "5 wisemen" who can't really be replaced - those come with the certificate. It could be that some staff don't want to work for XXX (insert person's name) again; such as the Chief Pilot, Dir of Maintenance, Dir of Ops, etc. So FLOAT will have to keep them, and then still meet the operation parameters, security protocols, etc. Unfortunately Ravn & PenAir were shut down too long to just "turn the keys" and *poof* be ready to go.

They are, however lightyears ahead of the new Wexford/Seaplanes option. Via Air doesn't even have ops specs for Alaska. Not sure ERJ 145s or E120s are the best option for Alaska, so they'll need to add a new fleet type to the cert & do proving runs, so that's at least 6 months away. And that's a big IF the US DOT allows the scheduled authority to remain intact.

Seaplanes can put pc12s on the routes tomorrow if they want to tho.

Basically whoever lands the Alaska airlines codeshare is going to win.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos