Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

airporthistory
Topic Author

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi folks,

In the late 1960s, Toronto Airport planners considered relocating Pearson's passenger terminal area to the other side of runway 15L/33R (then 14/32). I wrote a little post about it with some cool images of the proposed scheme.

You can find the article here: https://www.airporthistory.org/blue-concourse/why-toronto-pearson-could-have-looked-completely-different

What do you think? Should they have moved ahead with the plan?

arcticcruiser

Re: IMAGES: 1960S scheme to rebuild Toronto Pearson

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:41 pm

Great article, thanks. Glad they didn’t build any more Aeroquays, looks inspired by the horrible CDG terminal 1.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:49 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
Great article, thanks. Glad they didn’t build any more Aeroquays, looks inspired by the horrible CDG terminal 1.

Happy you enjoyed!

Actually, it's the other way around. CDG's Aérogare 1 was inspired on the Aeroquay. The Aeroquay opened in 1964, a few years before design work on CDG's Aérogare started. I also have CDG planning documents that state that the aeroquay formed a major source of inspiration.

c3000flyboy

Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:18 pm

Nice article :)

Though can you please explain what happened to the structure of terminal 2? Since now terminal 2 doesn't technically exist there is just terminal 1 and 3.

**EDIT** Disregard, I found the answer to my own question:
https://www.blogto.com/city/2015/10/wha ... n_airport/
Emergency! Keep your head down, stay down!!

Dominion301

Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:47 pm

c3000flyboy wrote:

Though can you please explain what happened to the structure of terminal 2? Since now terminal 2 doesn't technically exist there is just terminal 1 and 3.

Wow I never knew some 727s like the EA one depicted, could take mini containers like UA’s DC-8s.

airlineAZ

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Nice article! Never knew that about YYZ! So what happened to the area where T1 was?

airporthistory wrote:
Hi folks,

In the late 1960s, Toronto Airport planners considered relocating Pearson's passenger terminal area to the other side of runway 15L/33R (then 14/32). I wrote a little post about it with some cool images of the proposed scheme.

You can find the article here: https://www.airporthistory.org/blue-concourse/why-toronto-pearson-could-have-looked-completely-different

What do you think? Should they have moved ahead with the plan?

airporthistory
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:17 pm

airlineAZ wrote:
Nice article! Never knew that about YYZ! So what happened to the area where T1 was?

Thank you!

I guess what you're asking is what would have happened with the area where T1 was located if the plan was executed? It's not mentioned in the document but logically speaking it would have been used for cargo and maintenance facilities. Currently the new T1 is located there.

VirginFlyer

Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:00 pm

airlineAZ wrote:

I was interested in this question when this was first posted, so I had a look at the historical imagery in Google Earth. In that, you can see the old T1 footprint is on the apron between Terminal 1's D gates and F gates. After it was demolished, the paving where it stood is a different colour to the rest of the apron.

You can see the different coloured paving where T1 stood in these photos:

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

SwissCanuck

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 am

c3000flyboy wrote:

Some of us sat on a nearby hill with beers in our hands when they started tearing that hell hole down. Critique T1 all you like, T2 was the real hell on earth. More than double over capacity, and was originally designed as a cargo terminal. There was times where the morning pre-clearance lineup snaked the entire length of the terminal, twice. I've never been so happy to see a wrecking ball in all my life.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:16 pm

SwissCanuck wrote:
c3000flyboy wrote:

Some of us sat on a nearby hill with beers in our hands when they started tearing that hell hole down. Critique T1 all you like, T2 was the real hell on earth. More than double over capacity, and was originally designed as a cargo terminal. There was times where the morning pre-clearance lineup snaked the entire length of the terminal, twice. I've never been so happy to see a wrecking ball in all my life.

A hill?? We are talking about Toronto right? :-)

By the way, I will soon do a photo special on the Aeroquay, featuring many never seen before photos, as well as a full history on Pearson. If you want to know when it goes online there's a newsletter signup button on the front page.

Dominion301

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:43 pm

SwissCanuck wrote:
c3000flyboy wrote:

Here's my critique of old T1: Not pretty, but one of the best spotting places in the world, if not the best.

VirginFlyer

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:20 pm

SwissCanuck wrote:
c3000flyboy wrote:

The article linked by c3000flyboy disagrees with the idea it was intended as a freight terminal:

Located south of Aeroquay One, Pearson's second passenger boarding area didn't have the prestige of its neighbour―its squat, linear layout led to a rumour it was a converted freight terminal (it wasn't—it was just ugly).

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

CrewBunk

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:02 pm

Terminal Two was originally designed for American, BOAC and CPAir. Always as a passenger terminal, I think the confusion started as a cargo terminal was being built on the other side of Terminal One.

It became apparent during construction that it would be the “lesser” terminal and AA, BA and CP all backed out of the move. AC, being the government airline was forced to move into T2.

Designed in three separate areas, with three separate aims and three separate baggage systems, it was a disaster for one airline. But they made it work.

whywhytee

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:21 am

Does anyone know where we could find pictures of the old T1/T2?

VirginFlyer

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:38 am

whywhytee wrote:

The database here has several: https://www.airliners.net/search?countr ... lay=detail

Here are a selection:

V/F

Exrampieyyz

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks for the great article and bringing back a lot of memories! In the day of Viscounts, Vanguards, DC-8s and no security it was the best terminal ever. Security 747s and L1011 made it terrible.
My Dad was a load agent in YQG and loved the sun so we'd fly to TPA or LAX 3,4,5 times a year so would be connecting through there. And CNX times were usually long.
I would head up to P8 the level below the roof for great views all around the airport. The roof had a fence so not as good to look through. No obstructions on the lower levels. Best plane spotting spot ever.
When I wasn't doing that it was down to the ring to check all the phone booths for dimes and quarters that people left after making free calls. The Commissioner's would give me dirty looks or even try to run me off cause I was taking their change.
In 1978 got hired by AC and worked a T2 for over 30 years. Flew out of it hundreds of times. It was an ugly terminal. But it had lots of gate space for working flights. The only congested area were the new gates the put around the back like 109 I think it was. Push backs when all the gates were full could be an adventure. Oh yea gate 80 scared me when pushing back DC-9-15s cause they were so short and the fence was so close. The best part was the area for the Air Ontario flights. It was new with lots of windows and looked over the ramp area of T1. When it was new a Convair came into the gate close to the fence by the Admin building and clipped an evergreen tree just out side. Oops, they hadn't measured that out quite right. Made for even harder push backs from gate 80 but I was much more experienced by then so no problems.
After T3 opened and GX moved over to T1, I had enough seniority to bid there and it was again a great terminal at least for us rampies. Lots of room on the gates. The departure lounges were upstairs not like the new T1 so the cold air wasn't freezing the building out every time a flight boarded or deplaned. Lots of stairs for passengers though.
T1 was an old building by then and well used. We got into an old office on the ramp level and the drywall had a few holes punched in around waist level. When someone kicked another hole in at floor level, hundreds of mini booze bottles came flowing out. Empty of coarse!!
Those were great days to be working at YYZ. When the security checks started first with TC and later with the GTAA it just got worse and worse. Waiting in line for finger printing and iris scans. The Safety Nazis giving tickets for not driving on roadways or headlights out. The new T1 with horribly designed bag rooms, very tight gates. It became a joke and pain in the ass. Glad I retired when I did.

Anyway rhanks for bringing back the memories. The original T1 was perfect for when it was designed and 4 terminals like that would have been great, a little like TPA,s design latter, but increased flight numbers and widebodies made it obsolete very quickly.

Here's a long video of the demolition. Spent a few hours at the newT1 at the back of the bag room watching them chew up the old T1 during my breaks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XOdMRC2P3yg

Great old video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MEpUJsdYb3E

This is T2 with views of T1. And that is a gate 80 push back. Short planes were much more sensitive than longer ones especially for me as a newby
P51 P38 TBM B17 T34P ST75 C150/72/85 C402/21 AA1 B06 S232/33 AC80 BE35 DC3/4M/8/9/10 DHC4/6/7/8 CRJ2/9 CONI L188 L101 B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87 A319/20/21/30/40/80 E175/90 BA46 BA11 CLVT A748 B190 JS31 SW4 SF34 F28 VISC VC9
my.flightradar24.com/boeinga1

Exrampieyyz

Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:42 pm

Sorry there Airporthistory, I got a little carried away in memories.

As per you're OP, I think the infield terminal would have been great. It's always seemed to me to have been the best spot for the terminals. If you ever left from T2 or even the newT1 transboarder or international gates and had to use rwy 05 the taxi is at least 25 min.
The infield terminal would have been far more centralized for runway access. Also I always liked T2 for it's straight design. Gates and ramp areas are much less congested. The U shape of the new T1 and T3 are not nearly as user friendly. The other problem now is de-ice center being there. If they would have put the pads on the end of the runways they would not have all the hold over problems that occur now. Type 4 glycol would rarely be needed as they would be sprayed and then ready to go. Not have to taxi and wait for take off.
So I think they really dropped the ball when they jammed all the terminals into that corner. Might have cost a lot in the beginning but would have saved a lot of time and fuel savings in the long run
P51 P38 TBM B17 T34P ST75 C150/72/85 C402/21 AA1 B06 S232/33 AC80 BE35 DC3/4M/8/9/10 DHC4/6/7/8 CRJ2/9 CONI L188 L101 B717/27/37/47/57/67/77/87 A319/20/21/30/40/80 E175/90 BA46 BA11 CLVT A748 B190 JS31 SW4 SF34 F28 VISC VC9

Prost

Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:05 pm

I really appreciate your articles, thank you for bringing them to my attention.

whywhytee

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:38 am

Thank you :D
VirginFlyer wrote:
whywhytee wrote:

The database here has several: https://www.airliners.net/search?countr ... lay=detail

Here are a selection:

V/F

PANAMsterdam

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:22 am

Was the airport designed by Dutch people? Cause I see a lot of dutch written on that airport design plan.
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

phatfarmlines

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:00 am

Exrampieyyz wrote:
Thanks for the great article and bringing back a lot of memories! In the day of Viscounts, Vanguards, DC-8s and no security it was the best terminal ever. Security 747s and L1011 made it terrible.

How was it like traversing through T1 as a passenger? I see those six piers jutting out of the ring. I presume the upper level was for departures, and int'l arrivals had to walk through the lower-level pier? Then again, I also see some of the piers with ground jetways at the end of the piers, so perhaps a separate waiting area on the lower level?

I can't find any good maps of old T1, so hard to image the ticketing/bag claim layout as well.

SwissCanuck

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:31 am

VirginFlyer wrote:
SwissCanuck wrote:
c3000flyboy wrote:

The article linked by c3000flyboy disagrees with the idea it was intended as a freight terminal:

Located south of Aeroquay One, Pearson's second passenger boarding area didn't have the prestige of its neighbour―its squat, linear layout led to a rumour it was a converted freight terminal (it wasn't—it was just ugly).

V/F

I must have glossed over that part. TIL! It was a pretty persistent rumour then.

Thanks for the pics BTW, can I send my shrink's bill to you? :)

I'm pretty happy with the Pearson of today. Was great to see the UP Express when I blew through around Christmas. Just wish they had an airside connection between the terminals. I admit it wouldn't be used much but I was wheelchair confined and was connecting from EI to AC. The T3 attendant was not happy with this news LOL. At least she got a smoke break out of the deal.

Exrampieyyz

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:21 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Exrampieyyz wrote:

How was it like traversing through T1 as a passenger? I see those six piers jutting out of the ring. I presume the upper level was for departures, and int'l arrivals had to walk through the lower-level pier? Then again, I also see some of the piers with ground jetways at the end of the piers, so perhaps a separate waiting area on the lower level?

I can't find any good maps of old T1, so hard to image the ticketing/bag claim layout as well.

When it was new there where no bridges, just stairs down to the fingers and then out onto the ramp. The Air Ontario flights operated that way after AC moved back in when T3 was built.

All departure lounges were in the top ring. When bridges put in they build on top of fingers so had stairs down for customsand baggage hall. Check in and a restaurant where in the center section on departure level. Before security you could acess the ring from the resturant or any hall. Arrivals was on the lower level and there was a basement where I think you could rent a room.

The road system was very dark, tight and steep being in the middle of the ring.

ghYHZ

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:37 pm

From the Terminal 1 Guide......

Exrampieyyz

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:16 pm

ghYHZ wrote:
From the Terminal 1 Guide......

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iNdz1x]Image[/ourl]

Thanks for the great find. Oh I'd forgotten about the T1 T2 tunnel.
Anybody with more plans like the bag rooms. They were soo small. Didn't envy those guys working widebodies out of there

airporthistory
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:07 pm

airporthistory wrote:

PANAMsterdam wrote:
Was the airport designed by Dutch people? Cause I see a lot of dutch written on that airport design plan.

Nice that you noticed! The plans come from a report that was prepared after a Dutch delegation visited a number of North American airports in the late 1960s. It's a fantastic document by the way with numerous plans and diagrams and features airports like JFK, LAX, SFO and ORD.

whywhytee wrote:

As mentioned above, I will soon upload a photo special on T1 as well as a full history on Pearson, featuring many very rare images--aerial, exterior and interior--of both terminals in their hey days. If you want to know when it goes online, you can sign up for the newsletter here: https://mailchi.mp/9e7347d14c2b/airporthistory

Dominion301

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:12 am

airporthistory wrote:
airporthistory wrote:

PANAMsterdam wrote:

Nice that you noticed! The plans come from a report that was prepared after a Dutch delegation visited a number of North American airports in the late 1960s. It's a fantastic document by the way with numerous plans and diagrams and features airports like JFK, LAX, SFO and ORD.

whywhytee wrote:

As mentioned above, I will soon upload a photo special on T1 as well as a full history on Pearson, featuring many very rare images--aerial, exterior and interior--of both terminals in their hey days. If you want to know when it goes online, you can sign up for the newsletter here: https://mailchi.mp/9e7347d14c2b/airporthistory

I can’t wait for your Canadian airports series part 2.

ghYHZ

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Hard to believe with the number of airlines now (or until recently!) at Pearson.....but the first international carrier was BOAC (British Airways) in 1960. The other majors didn't arrive until the '70s: Alitalia in '72, Lufthansa '73, KLM '74, Swissair '75 and Air France in '76.

Transborder: American Airlines began service in 1941 and actually had an agreement for the first US Pre-Clearance in 1952. There were no other US carriers until Eastern Airlines and Mohawk in 1966.....then United Airlines and North Central in 1967.

ghYHZ

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:53 pm

Here's a T2 Guide Map from the '90s.....

airporthistory
Topic Author

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:18 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
I can’t wait for your Canadian airports series part 2.

Hi there, it's in the works, I'm just waiting for a couple of great historic color images of a certain airport. However, due to Covid everything is delayed.

Make sure you sign up to the newsletter to know when it goes online. I don't announce every article here on A.net. The moderators have already been very accommodating with allowing me to showcase my work here. You can use this link to sign up: https://mailchi.mp/9e7347d14c2b/airporthistory

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos