Topic Author

Four Ethiopian 772LRs into MSY today, then nonstop to ADD

Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:12 pm

Heads up to local spotters!

ET8399 . . . ORD-MSY-ADD
ET8499 . . . IAD-MSY-ADD
ET8599 . . . LFW-MSY-ADD
ET8699 . . . IAD-MSY-ADD

Word is that they're bringing staff to operate flagged ships currently stationed in Mississippi, before returning nonstop to east Africa.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

berari

Re: Four Ethiopian 772LRs into MSY today, then nonstop to ADD

Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:08 pm

The ones into ORD and IAD are coming in from DUB, ARN and FRA.

Last week they did the same from ORD and IAD to MIA, then flew to ADD and onwards to MNL.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:34 am

Video of arrivals, by local spotter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRASTEkph3c
Last edited by LAX772LR on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ishrion

Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:42 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Video of arrivals, by local spotter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRASTEkph

Video unavailable

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:44 am

Ishrion wrote:
Video unavailable

Corrected:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRASTEkph3c

NolaMD88fan

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:41 am

Aviation geek = freaking awesome. Human being = sad about why they were here.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:14 am

Indeed, it's likely the longest flight to ever depart MSY.

eamondzhang

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:53 am

Or wouldnt that be those staff returning home from cruise ship works? I know the cruise ship industry hires a fair number of Africans, and myself have met a few (very nice) staff from Ethiopia actually.

Given the whole cruise industry shutdown it won't surprise me if that's the case.

Michael

SunsetLimited

Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:31 pm

A group of 60+ came in from LAX on AA only to take one of the flights to MNL. Yes you read that right. LAX-MSY-ADD-MNL.
Spread hope like fire.

SunsetLimited

Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:44 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
Or wouldnt that be those staff returning home from cruise ship works? I know the cruise ship industry hires a fair number of Africans, and myself have met a few (very nice) staff from Ethiopia actually.

Given the whole cruise industry shutdown it won't surprise me if that's the case.

Michael

Yes they are all gong home... crews from Carnival ships out of Long Beach, Galveston, New Orleans, and Mobile.
Spread hope like fire.

Oilman

Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:03 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
A group of 60+ came in from LAX on AA only to take one of the flights to MNL. Yes you read that right. LAX-MSY-ADD-MNL.

If it gets you home, I guess you take it!

maverick4002

Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:59 pm

I asume the crusie ship crews have to pay for these flights? Anyone have insight into coordination of these flights? Costs? These aircraft have first class seats right. Are those sold as first class, who gets those, are they empty?

MD80Ttail

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:15 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
I asume the crusie ship crews have to pay for these flights? Anyone have insight into coordination of these flights? Costs? These aircraft have first class seats right. Are those sold as first class, who gets those, are they empty?

My brother has worked for over 15 years as Director of Operations for a major cruise line based in Florida. I asked him your questions as I was curious as well.

—The crew do not pay for the flights. It’s an industry standard in the crew contracts transportation is provided to and from the ship from your home irregardless where the ship is located. Many cruise workers couldn’t afford to pay for the flights if they had too. Many workers get paid an extremely small amount for working 70-100hr weeks. Contracts are mostly 9 months-7 days a week for a straight 9 month 70-100+ hrs a week. What makes it attractive for workers, especially from developing countries, is the strength of the US dollar compared to their local currency.

—coordination is done from the cruise lines corporate office. Each cruise line has a department which handles travel for staff. At my brothers cruise line there are about 60 people involved in the logistics of hiring and moving staff to and from ships at ports all over the world.

—there is a huge hierarchy onboard cruise ships based on your position. Crew, which is operations such as engine ect. They are the lowest class and some spend 9 to as long as 14 months on lower decks and never leave the ship and don’t come into contact, if rarely, with passengers. Next up is staff. Staff are stewards and cleaning people. They do come into contact with passengers often. Next class are entertainers who have a pretty good life onboard, live well and enjoy the destinations compared to what my brother refers to “legalized slavery”. (His words). Next is child care personnel. They tend to be younger college age and mostly recruited from the entirety of the UK empire and have a really good gig with plenty of partying and time off the ship. Next class is officers who are kings and queens in relation to other employees. Fun fact, each class has their own accommodation, galley and recreation areas on board. They don’t mix much, if at all, and the quality of their food, accommodations and lives is all determined by the hierarchy. Officers for example , higher ranking can eat in the fanciest restaurants, use passenger pools and facilities, mingle with passengers and even fornicate with the girls. (not officially of course but it’s extremely common)

This all explains the seating on planes because the higher ranking or class employees will have preference. For example there are multiple different rankings of food and beverage officers. A Senior sous chef and chef have ranks as officers. There will be multiple levels of food and beverage officers ect. So seating will be determined by these qualifiers with officers occupying the 1st class, followed by the rest of the hierarchy from best to worst seats.

Also, you will almost never see an American working onboard a cruise ship. My brothers cruise line which is very large currently has a single American Captain. American staff is even harder to come by. The reason per my brother is Americans won’t work for less than minimum wage and are used to certain “rights” as workers. They won’t work 100hrs a week, no overtime and follow orders having been more entitled and living in a totally different system.

Hope that helps. Glad you asked it. Was fascinating talking to my brother. They even have contracts with termination providers because if you get pregnant you can’t work and get sent home. They will pay for the trip home if you choose. Otherwise the transportation and logistics office has a bus scheduled for the trip to remedy the issue. It’s common to hear cruise staff talking about needing to “take the bus” when they are in port. That’s what they are referring too.

Medical care onboard is free as is birth control for all staff. However, if you get sick and it’s an extended or expensive issues to treat you get stabilized and sent home immediately and your contract is terminated. No such thing as sick days onboard. (Which ties in with this whole Coronavirus issue and thus this thread)

Almost all cruise ships are foreign flagged so are exempt from US labor laws. That’s why they flag them in developing countries. The few ships required to be flagged in the US, I.e. Hawaiian to Hawaiian cruises, are required to use US staff and follow all US work rules ect. That’s why those cruises cost so much and usually score poorly in guest satisfaction reviews. It’s an entire world unto itself.
Last edited by MD80Ttail on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phatfarmlines

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:41 pm

ET really has alot of charters operating. Whether its for LDS repatriation to Utah or cruise ship personnel going back from MSY to ADD, they are making their rounds.

Did these flights use the North or South Terminal gates?

MD80Ttail

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:46 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
ET really has alot of charters operating. Whether its for LDS repatriation to Utah or cruise ship personnel going back from MSY to ADD, they are making their rounds.

I would guess they are very economical for charters compared to many other carriers. Despite being economical they have a track record and reputation for being reliable, clean and safe operators. They have a good size fleet of long haul planes too. They seem to be making the most they can out of the downturn in travel.

smokeybandit

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:53 pm

If the major cruise lines were flagged in America, they wouldn't be major cruise lines because most wouldn't be able to afford one.

MartijnNL

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:23 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:

Incredible. More than twice the distance compared to a direct flight. In total 15,350 miles instead of 7,305 miles. Talk about a detour. The passengers going all the way to the Philippines are looking at more than 25 hours in the air.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lax-mnl%0D ... =wls&DU=mi

TonyBurr

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:32 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
IThese aircraft have first class seats right. Are those sold as first class, who gets those, are they empty?

ET does not have First Class. The highest class is Business Class. Few airlines today have a real First Class

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:49 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:

They departed from the old South Terminal, which remains in use solely for this very purpose.

kjeld0d

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:51 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
If the major cruise lines were flagged in America, they wouldn't be major cruise lines because most wouldn't be able to afford one.

Exactly...how affordable would airline tickets be if all staff were well-paid? Huge (nonessential) travel industry built on layers of labour mistreatment.

LightningZ71

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:53 am

Honestly, not very much more. If you paid each crew member an extra hundred dollars per leg in a 200 seat aircraft, that amounts to a minimum of $600 per flight. If you divide that evenly among the seats, that's just three dollars per passenger per leg. That's trivial in the grand scheme of things. Even at a 50% load factor, that's just six dollars per seat per leg, including payroll taxes, that's just right per seat/leg. Still not too bad.

$100 per leg, flying about four legs a day for four days a week on average, is about 64 legs a month, or $6400 dollars a month. Not bad money. What am I missing?

maverick4002

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:06 am

MD80Ttail wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

My brother has worked for over 15 years as Director of Operations for a major cruise line based in Florida. I asked him your questions as I was curious as well.

—The crew do not pay for the flights. It’s an industry standard in the crew contracts transportation is provided to and from the ship from your home irregardless where the ship is located. Many cruise workers couldn’t afford to pay for the flights if they had too. Many workers get paid an extremely small amount for working 70-100hr weeks. Contracts are mostly 9 months-7 days a week for a straight 9 month 70-100+ hrs a week. What makes it attractive for workers, especially from developing countries, is the strength of the US dollar compared to their local currency.

—coordination is done from the cruise lines corporate office. Each cruise line has a department which handles travel for staff. At my brothers cruise line there are about 60 people involved in the logistics of hiring and moving staff to and from ships at ports all over the world.

—there is a huge hierarchy onboard cruise ships based on your position. Crew, which is operations such as engine ect. They are the lowest class and some spend 9 to as long as 14 months on lower decks and never leave the ship and don’t come into contact, if rarely, with passengers. Next up is staff. Staff are stewards and cleaning people. They do come into contact with passengers often. Next class are entertainers who have a pretty good life onboard, live well and enjoy the destinations compared to what my brother refers to “legalized slavery”. (His words). Next is child care personnel. They tend to be younger college age and mostly recruited from the entirety of the UK empire and have a really good gig with plenty of partying and time off the ship. Next class is officers who are kings and queens in relation to other employees. Fun fact, each class has their own accommodation, galley and recreation areas on board. They don’t mix much, if at all, and the quality of their food, accommodations and lives is all determined by the hierarchy. Officers for example , higher ranking can eat in the fanciest restaurants, use passenger pools and facilities, mingle with passengers and even fornicate with the girls. (not officially of course but it’s extremely common)

This all explains the seating on planes because the higher ranking or class employees will have preference. For example there are multiple different rankings of food and beverage officers. A Senior sous chef and chef have ranks as officers. There will be multiple levels of food and beverage officers ect. So seating will be determined by these qualifiers with officers occupying the 1st class, followed by the rest of the hierarchy from best to worst seats.

Also, you will almost never see an American working onboard a cruise ship. My brothers cruise line which is very large currently has a single American Captain. American staff is even harder to come by. The reason per my brother is Americans won’t work for less than minimum wage and are used to certain “rights” as workers. They won’t work 100hrs a week, no overtime and follow orders having been more entitled and living in a totally different system.

Hope that helps. Glad you asked it. Was fascinating talking to my brother. They even have contracts with termination providers because if you get pregnant you can’t work and get sent home. They will pay for the trip home if you choose. Otherwise the transportation and logistics office has a bus scheduled for the trip to remedy the issue. It’s common to hear cruise staff talking about needing to “take the bus” when they are in port. That’s what they are referring too.

Medical care onboard is free as is birth control for all staff. However, if you get sick and it’s an extended or expensive issues to treat you get stabilized and sent home immediately and your contract is terminated. No such thing as sick days onboard. (Which ties in with this whole Coronavirus issue and thus this thread)

Almost all cruise ships are foreign flagged so are exempt from US labor laws. That’s why they flag them in developing countries. The few ships required to be flagged in the US, I.e. Hawaiian to Hawaiian cruises, are required to use US staff and follow all US work rules ect. That’s why those cruises cost so much and usually score poorly in guest satisfaction reviews. It’s an entire world unto itself.

Oh my, well this is insightful into the logistics and I guess seat assignment for these flights. Lots of other information in here about cruise employee life that I will not comment but this was a wild read!

berari

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:06 am

All four aircraft carried on to Manila.

What's interesting is that ET is using its 77Ls for these repatriation flights almost exclusively. I don't see A350s, B77Ws in these efforts. Aside from range, the B77Ls are all owned, while the rest are a mix of leased and owned, if that means anything in the current situation.

iadbudd

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:28 am

phatfarmlines wrote:

ET also had almost 10 Peace corps volunteers evacuation flights from different cities in Africa offload in IAD and then fueled right back up with a new flight deck crew and ferried back to Africa .

iadbudd

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:33 am

TonyBurr wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
IThese aircraft have first class seats right. Are those sold as first class, who gets those, are they empty?

ET does not have First Class. The highest class is Business Class. Few airlines today have a real First Class

It's called Cloud nine class. If fact the ET 77W's that were not used for these flights have a high density configuration of just about 400. It's like 12 Cloud nine and 388 economy or something really close to those numbers.

chonetsao

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:59 pm

MD80Ttail wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

Slight correction:

Crew transportation is in the contract, but not necessary with cruise lines itself. Cruise line directly employed staff or contracted staff, that including captain, guest service and engineers, are handled by cruise line travel department.

Front line employee in hotel department is likely to be on contract from overseas agencies, their transportation is arranged through the recruitment agencies, not cruise lines. Cruise lines travel department may coordinate in planning, but the ticket is paid and booked by recruitment agencies in most cases. That comes from the commission recruitment agency charged from the ships crew. And they are entitled to a special Seaman's discount.

There are some cruise lines started to recruit by themselves instead of the recruitment agency from overseas. But they are the minority at this moment and not the industry norms. To recruit from overseas agency is the prime tool to escape the US or European labor laws, as the employment contract is moved from the shipping company to the agents.

7673mech

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:22 pm

My understanding is ET is charging a premium for these charters. My sister helps in Peace Corp logistics and she said the flights were not cheap.

aemoreira1981

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:29 pm

How much belly cargo was there? I could see a situation where there was belly cargo originating in China, possibly CAN, which is an ET outstation, then traveling via ADD and an intermediate point to MSY. Remember, after the NYC metro area, Louisiana is having the hardest hit with COVID-19 within the USA.

e38

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Quoting berari (Reply # 23), "ET is using its 77Ls for these repatriation flights almost exclusively. I don't see A350s, B77Ws . . ."

what's the difference between the 77L and the 77W?

e38

LCDFlight

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:58 pm

They probably got an excellent price on a giant amount of fuel loaded.

carlokiii

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:11 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:

Incredible. More than twice the distance compared to a direct flight. In total 15,350 miles instead of 7,305 miles. Talk about a detour. The passengers going all the way to the Philippines are looking at more than 25 hours in the air.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lax-mnl%0D ... =wls&DU=mi

That is insane. I guess the cruise ship line has an existing contract with ET to ferry their employees as I highly doubt ET is the cheapest option for repatriation efforts from the US to MNL.

berari wrote:
All four aircraft carried on to Manila.

What's interesting is that ET is using its 77Ls for these repatriation flights almost exclusively. I don't see A350s, B77Ws in these efforts. Aside from range, the B77Ls are all owned, while the rest are a mix of leased and owned, if that means anything in the current situation.

Cargo, probably? Limited number of flights for most payload. And ET has been flying the 77L to MNL and the far east so these airliners would feel at home. Maybe.

berari

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:15 pm

7673mech wrote:
My understanding is ET is charging a premium for these charters. My sister helps in Peace Corp logistics and she said the flights were not cheap.

I imagine that the cost includes transportation and re-positioning of aircraft.

e38 wrote:
Quoting berari (Reply # 23), "ET is using its 77Ls for these repatriation flights almost exclusively. I don't see A350s, B77Ws . . ."

what's the difference between the 77L and the 77W?

e38

77L: 777-200LR
77W: 777-300ER

e38

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:16 pm

berari, thank you.
But where do the abbreviations come from?
I mean, 77L makes a little bit of sense, but how does “W” designate 777-300ER?
e38

BravoOne

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:22 pm

I think this is an A.Net naming convention as I have never seen that on a Boeing document?

aeromoe

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 pm

e38 wrote:
berari, thank you.
But where do the abbreviations come from?
e38

Actually they are official codes from the international governing body IATA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_type_designators
Last edited by aeromoe on Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

aeromoe

Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:08 pm

BravoOne wrote:
I think this is an A.Net naming convention as I have never seen that on a Boeing document?

Actually they are official codes from the international governing body IATA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_type_designators
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:40 am

e38 wrote:

That's the IATA designation.

The common lore is because "773" was already in use; and the 777-300ER was the first 777 to feature a wingtip device.

e38

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:29 am

aeromoe and LAX772LR,

thank you for the link to aircraft type designators--very interesting; I was not aware of it previously, and for the explanation, LAX772LR.

e38

aeromoe

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:32 am

e38 wrote:
aeromoe and LAX772LR,

thank you for the link to aircraft type designators--very interesting; I was not aware of it previously, and for the explanation, LAX772LR.

e38

:checkmark: you're welcome!

JAGflyer

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:59 am

MD80Ttail wrote:

I read that a few times and it didn't make sense. Until I realized "termination providers" was a reference to the pregnant women. In my innocent mind I kept thinking of termination as in firing the staff for getting pregnant. :boggled:
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

solracfunk14

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:18 am

Ethiopian is flying a lot for repatriation flights.

They just did two ADD-MPM-CNF flights and will make third tomorrow with the 77L. The first ones were with the 788. The 4th can be with the A359.

My pic of the departure: https://i1.wp.com/www.aeroin.net/wp-con ... C350&ssl=1

https://www.aeroin.net/pela-terceira-ve ... da-africa/

berari

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:33 am

They had a 77W do ADD-LFW-CKY-BJL-IAD(?) today. Landing shortly. There's another B788 also going into IAD(?) via a West African point, about an hour behind the first flight.

bmagee

Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:27 am

A handful of US bound repatriation flights departed yesterday operated by ET all heading to IAD:
2 from South Africa - Cape Town and Johannesburg (via LFW)
1 from Kinshasa, DRC via Luanda, Angola
1 from N'Djamena, Chad (unsure if this had any other stop)

Another leaves today from Cape Town, SA

iadbudd

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:40 pm

bmagee wrote:
A handful of US bound repatriation flights departed yesterday operated by ET all heading to IAD:

All 4 landed at IAD within 6 hours of each other. They quickly offloaded, fueled up and got a fresh flight deck crew to launch them all back to ADD nonstop empty

berari

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:24 am

iadbudd wrote:
bmagee wrote:

All 4 landed at IAD within 6 hours of each other. They quickly offloaded, fueled up and got a fresh flight deck crew to launch them all back to ADD nonstop empty

The 77W carried on to LAX. It's now making its way back to IAD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos