Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:23 pm

As from when will Jazz start retiring its aging dash8 fleet for the crj200 jet in order to keep up with fierce competition?
 
User avatar
CrewBunk
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:38 pm

Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:54 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?

The statement was made by Air Canada.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:18 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?

The statement was made by Air Canada.


I think it’s safe to say that the DH1s are now done vs the planned end of 2020 fleet exit. A sizeable portion of the DH3 fleet aren’t going anywhere and will probably be around for another 20 years. They’re now mostly used on routes where AC faces little to no competition.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14473
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:07 am

Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?

The statement was made by Air Canada.


I think it’s safe to say that the DH1s are now done vs the planned end of 2020 fleet exit. A sizeable portion of the DH3 fleet aren’t going anywhere and will probably be around for another 20 years. They’re now mostly used on routes where AC faces little to no competition.


As a passenger, I really don’t mind half full DH3s. They get quite hot on the ground but that’s much less of an issue for AC than it was for US/AA. CLT, FLO, HHH, etc. aren’t nice in the summer.
Last edited by Cubsrule on Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:10 am

Ill miss the -100 personally but I have a long history with them. At least the -300s are staying... for now.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
User avatar
767333ER
Posts: 1170
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:23 am

Well there’s at least one I know for sure was in service still yesterday but that’s all I know.

Sad thing is apparently Jazz finds the -300 per seat more efficient than the -400.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 984
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:45 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
As from when will Jazz start retiring its aging dash8 fleet for the crj200 jet in order to keep up with fierce competition?

CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?

embraer175e2 wrote:
The statement was made by Air Canada.

The statement was made by you. If Air Canada made it, why didn't you mention it in the opening post?

What statement are we talking about? What did Air Canada state and where? They said the older variants of the DHC-8's will be replaced by CRJ-200's? But they didn't say when? Strange.

I thought CRJ-200's are also being retired everywhere.
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:24 am

MartijnNL wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
As from when will Jazz start retiring its aging dash8 fleet for the crj200 jet in order to keep up with fierce competition?

CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?

embraer175e2 wrote:
The statement was made by Air Canada.

The statement was made by you. If Air Canada made it, why didn't you mention it in the opening post?

What statement are we talking about? What did Air Canada state and where? They said the older variants of the DHC-8's will be replaced by CRJ-200's? But they didn't say when? Strange.

I thought CRJ-200's are also being retired everywhere.


He has posted a statement that was over a year old, no where did it say fierce competition. He has since removed the statement, along with my comment stating it was over a year old and kind of a moot point these days.
 
DH8PU
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:49 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:06 am

Jazz's Dash8-100s are being sent to YYB for long term storage/cargo conversion by their sister company Voyager. The 300s are going through life extension in YHZ.

CRJs were planned for use on YYZ trans-boarder flying that had returned from Air Georgian, although with the massive reduction in flying from Covid-19, that flying isn't happening right now.
Cabin secure and doors checked
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
As from when will Jazz start retiring its aging dash8 fleet for the crj200 jet in order to keep up with fierce competition?

CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?

embraer175e2 wrote:
The statement was made by Air Canada.

The statement was made by you. If Air Canada made it, why didn't you mention it in the opening post?

What statement are we talking about? What did Air Canada state and where? They said the older variants of the DHC-8's will be replaced by CRJ-200's? But they didn't say when? Strange.

I thought CRJ-200's are also being retired everywhere.


He has posted a statement that was over a year old, no where did it say fierce competition. He has since removed the statement, along with my comment stating it was over a year old and kind of a moot point these days.


Montreal-based Air Canada and Jazz parent Chorus, based in Halifax, have positioned the deal as responding to threatening competition. They do not name competitors, but in recent years Air Canada has faced threats from rapidly expanding WestJet and from new ultra-discount startups.
Threating competition.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:29 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?


Montreal-based Air Canada and Jazz parent Chorus, based in Halifax, have positioned the deal as responding to threatening competition. They do not name competitors, but in recent years Air Canada has faced threats from rapidly expanding WestJet and from new ultra-discount startups.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:50 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
As from when will Jazz start retiring its aging dash8 fleet for the crj200 jet in order to keep up with fierce competition?



https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/a ... 48.article
 
User avatar
CrewBunk
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:00 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
They do not name competitors, but in recent years Air Canada has faced threats from rapidly expanding WestJet and from new ultra-discount startups.


Yes. You keep saying that.

But, can YOU cite a route flown by the DHC-8-100 or -300 that YOU feel the competition flew something better? In my opinion the -100/300 is more comfortable than the Q400 which seems to have more seats crammed into it every time I fly on one.

Bottom line is that Jazz positions the aircraft where the competition is irrelevant. It’s not like Westjet flying the Q400 trying to compete with Air Canada’s jets to YOW, YUL or LGA from YYZ.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3574
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:28 pm

I have to wonder if Viking Air (DHC) will offer a DH8D combi conversion. Such would basically result in a Dash 8-300 cabin, but also the ability to carry cargo, in a Dash 8-400-style frame (the Dash 8-400 combi is offered new). Such could be useful especially out of YYZ, YUL, and maybe even YYC to points north or to smaller airfields.
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:14 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I have to wonder if Viking Air (DHC) will offer a DH8D combi conversion. Such would basically result in a Dash 8-300 cabin, but also the ability to carry cargo, in a Dash 8-400-style frame (the Dash 8-400 combi is offered new). Such could be useful especially out of YYZ, YUL, and maybe even YYC to points north or to smaller airfields.


There aren't many smaller markets, especially in the northern communities that would warrant service that aren't already.

Combined with most really far north communities/reserves wouldn't generate nearly enough revenue to justify the expense of a Q400, plus their runways are seldom paved. The standard is 3000' of gravel which would present challenges, especially for a Q400. Length wouldn't be terribly restrictive, however, they would sink as they park on the parking pads, which at best have small concrete squares for tires.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:01 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
They do not name competitors, but in recent years Air Canada has faced threats from rapidly expanding WestJet and from new ultra-discount startups.


Yes. You keep saying that.

But, can YOU cite a route flown by the DHC-8-100 or -300 that YOU feel the competition flew something better? In my opinion the -100/300 is more comfortable than the Q400 which seems to have more seats crammed into it every time I fly on one.

Bottom line is that Jazz positions the aircraft where the competition is irrelevant. It’s not like Westjet flying the Q400 trying to compete with Air Canada’s jets to YOW, YUL or LGA from YYZ.


YOW-YFC is the only DH1/3 route I can think of where AC responded to a competitor by switching to a CRJ shortly after PD launched the route. Might have been a coincidence though as the route has since bounced between a CRJ and a DH3.

However in the west they responded to WestJet on a lot of routes by upping DH3s to DH4s/Q400s.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:54 pm

Air Canada closes C$100m Jazz investment for this
 
User avatar
northstardc4m
Posts: 3393
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2000 11:23 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:02 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
YOW-YFC is the only DH1/3 route I can think of where AC responded to a competitor by switching to a CRJ shortly after PD launched the route. Might have been a coincidence though as the route has since bounced between a CRJ and a DH3.
.


They swapped YYZ-YTS to mostly CRJ200s (The first domestic Jazz CRJ route) when JetsGo started the route, then pulled them the day JetsGo left and went back to Dash 8-100/-300s.

But that's the only other instance I know of.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:49 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
YOW-YFC is the only DH1/3 route I can think of where AC responded to a competitor by switching to a CRJ shortly after PD launched the route. Might have been a coincidence though as the route has since bounced between a CRJ and a DH3.
.


They swapped YYZ-YTS to mostly CRJ200s (The first domestic Jazz CRJ route) when JetsGo started the route, then pulled them the day JetsGo left and went back to Dash 8-100/-300s.

But that's the only other instance I know of.


But for how much more time can you keep flying the aging dash?
 
User avatar
CrewBunk
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:39 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:

But for how much more time can you keep flying the aging dash?


Quite a while as long as you maintain it well.

Much like the DC-3, or gravel 737-200, sometimes there are just no other alternatives to a niche requirement. It comes to a point when maintenance costs rise to being unviable.

The 37/50 seat turboprop market doesn’t have a lot of options. Will Viking/Longview produce the DHC-8s now? If so, that may be the best option.
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1537
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:30 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
As from when will Jazz start retiring its aging dash8 fleet for the crj200 jet in order to keep up with fierce competition?



https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/a ... 48.article


Again, an article from over a year ago that really means nothing now that 90% is grounded....
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:49 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
YOW-YFC is the only DH1/3 route I can think of where AC responded to a competitor by switching to a CRJ shortly after PD launched the route. Might have been a coincidence though as the route has since bounced between a CRJ and a DH3.
.


They swapped YYZ-YTS to mostly CRJ200s (The first domestic Jazz CRJ route) when JetsGo started the route, then pulled them the day JetsGo left and went back to Dash 8-100/-300s.

But that's the only other instance I know of.


But for how much more time can you keep flying the aging dash?


The life extension program will add 15 years extra life minimum to the DH3s.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:21 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

They swapped YYZ-YTS to mostly CRJ200s (The first domestic Jazz CRJ route) when JetsGo started the route, then pulled them the day JetsGo left and went back to Dash 8-100/-300s.

But that's the only other instance I know of.


But for how much more time can you keep flying the aging dash?


The life extension program will add 15 years extra life minimum to the DH3s.


Did Air Canada use this program on its Dash8-100-200-300's?
 
whywhyzee
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:27 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

But for how much more time can you keep flying the aging dash?


The life extension program will add 15 years extra life minimum to the DH3s.


Did Air Canada use this program on its Dash8-100-200-300's?


They do on the Dash 300s. The 100s were always on their way out, the -311 fleet is staying, I believe the -301s are on their way out as well/being used for parts to keep the -311s flying.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:40 pm

northstardc4m wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
YOW-YFC is the only DH1/3 route I can think of where AC responded to a competitor by switching to a CRJ shortly after PD launched the route. Might have been a coincidence though as the route has since bounced between a CRJ and a DH3.
.


They swapped YYZ-YTS to mostly CRJ200s (The first domestic Jazz CRJ route) when JetsGo started the route, then pulled them the day JetsGo left and went back to Dash 8-100/-300s.

But that's the only other instance I know of.


So there will be more of these cases on different routes that A.C. flies?
Is the crj200 a good replacer on all dash8-100-200-300 routes of Air Canada anyways?
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:58 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
YOW-YFC is the only DH1/3 route I can think of where AC responded to a competitor by switching to a CRJ shortly after PD launched the route. Might have been a coincidence though as the route has since bounced between a CRJ and a DH3.
.


They swapped YYZ-YTS to mostly CRJ200s (The first domestic Jazz CRJ route) when JetsGo started the route, then pulled them the day JetsGo left and went back to Dash 8-100/-300s.

But that's the only other instance I know of.


So there will be more of these cases on different routes that A.C. flies?
Is the crj200 a good replacer on all dash8-100-200-300 routes of Air Canada anyways?


On some it can sub well for a DH1/3, but routes like YQB-YGP-YGR that’s a no-go.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:55 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

They swapped YYZ-YTS to mostly CRJ200s (The first domestic Jazz CRJ route) when JetsGo started the route, then pulled them the day JetsGo left and went back to Dash 8-100/-300s.

But that's the only other instance I know of.


So there will be more of these cases on different routes that A.C. flies?
Is the crj200 a good replacer on all dash8-100-200-300 routes of Air Canada anyways?


On some it can sub well for a DH1/3, but routes like YQB-YGP-YGR that’s a no-go.

What is going to replace the dash on these routes??
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:59 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

So there will be more of these cases on different routes that A.C. flies?
Is the crj200 a good replacer on all dash8-100-200-300 routes of Air Canada anyways?


On some it can sub well for a DH1/3, but routes like YQB-YGP-YGR that’s a no-go.

What is going to replace the dash on these routes??


Nothing for at least the next 15 years.
 
User avatar
Embajador3
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:37 am

Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

On some it can sub well for a DH1/3, but routes like YQB-YGP-YGR that’s a no-go.

What is going to replace the dash on these routes??


Nothing for at least the next 15 years.


Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.
Flying Together
 
diverted
Posts: 1287
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:56 am

Embajador3 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
What is going to replace the dash on these routes??


Nothing for at least the next 15 years.


Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.


One minor detail - Canadian North and First Air are the same company now, though the ATR's are all legacy First Air aircraft.

Secondly - Why spend the money on a brand new ATR42 when you're already one of the largest Dash 8 operators in the world, and have a fleet of Dash 8-400's that will be around for a long time. They're going through a life extension program, and while they're obviously significantly different than the -400, there's still a lot that's the same. Further to that, the ATR42 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes, so imagine the residual value probably isn't great.
 
User avatar
Embajador3
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:30 am

diverted wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:


Secondly - Why spend the money on a brand new ATR42 when you're already one of the largest Dash 8 operators in the world, and have a fleet of Dash 8-400's that will be around for a long time. They're going through a life extension program, and while they're obviously significantly different than the -400, there's still a lot that's the same. Further to that, the ATR42 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes, so imagine the residual value probably isn't great.


There are plenty of ATR42s in the second hand market, no need to go for a brand new -600 series ATR42/72. If bigger airlines went from B737 only operators to A320 family aircraft, why not change from Dash8-100/200 to ATR42/72s?
Flying Together
 
SwissCanuck
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 pm

Embajador3 wrote:
diverted wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:


There are plenty of ATR42s in the second hand market, no need to go for a brand new -600 series ATR42/72. If bigger airlines went from B737 only operators to A320 family aircraft, why not change from Dash8-100/200 to ATR42/72s?


Because there's no advantage to changing. It's cheaper to renew the frames - no cabin outfitting or retraining of pilots/maintenance. The investment outweighs the return.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Embajador3 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
What is going to replace the dash on these routes??


Nothing for at least the next 15 years.


Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.


Air St-Pierre, might use their ATRs to Canada, but they're not a Canadian airline; they're French. Every single current ATR operator in Canada since the demise of CP bought their ATRs used. That includes First Air/Canadian North, Calm Air, Westwind Aviation and Air North...the latter buying 7F's used -300s to make way for some -500s at 7F.

As was said, why would Jazz want to dump an aircraft that they're intimately familiar with for a brand-new type? AC mainline did so and I think it's safe to say they're regretting that decision.
 
danipawa
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:18 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:44 pm

they are adding more CRJ ?
 
ExMilitaryEng
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:54 pm

danipawa wrote:
they are adding more CRJ ?

Yes, some new 76 seats CRJ900s.

Won't help much the smaller DH1 destinations - that probably can't now fill a PC-12 or even a Beaver...
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:48 pm

diverted wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Nothing for at least the next 15 years.


Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.


One minor detail - Canadian North and First Air are the same company now, though the ATR's are all legacy First Air aircraft.

Secondly - Why spend the money on a brand new ATR42 when you're already one of the largest Dash 8 operators in the world, and have a fleet of Dash 8-400's that will be around for a long time. They're going through a life extension program, and while they're obviously significantly different than the -400, there's still a lot that's the same. Further to that, the ATR42 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes, so imagine the residual value probably isn't great.
The 400 is too large for certain routes while keeping the 100 200300 in service for another 15 years instead of replacing them With ATRs will bring high costs the you on fuel
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

On some it can sub well for a DH1/3, but routes like YQB-YGP-YGR that’s a no-go.

What is going to replace the dash on these routes??


Nothing for at least the next 15 years.





The 400 is too large for certain routes while keeping the 100 200300 in service for another 15 years instead of replacing them With ATRs will bring high costs for you on fuel
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:02 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
diverted wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.


One minor detail - Canadian North and First Air are the same company now, though the ATR's are all legacy First Air aircraft.

Secondly - Why spend the money on a brand new ATR42 when you're already one of the largest Dash 8 operators in the world, and have a fleet of Dash 8-400's that will be around for a long time. They're going through a life extension program, and while they're obviously significantly different than the -400, there's still a lot that's the same. Further to that, the ATR42 isn't exactly selling like hotcakes, so imagine the residual value probably isn't great.
The 400 is too large for certain routes while keeping the 100 200300 in service for another 15 years instead of replacing them With ATRs will bring high costs for you on fuel
 
anrec80
Posts: 2759
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:41 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Fierce competition?
Where do you see fierce competition on a route a DHC-8-100/300 is flying?


The sentence containing "Canada" and "fierce competition" is an oxymoron.
 
anrec80
Posts: 2759
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:46 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
So there will be more of these cases on different routes that A.C. flies?
Is the crj200 a good replacer on all dash8-100-200-300 routes of Air Canada anyways?


AC Jazz flies to many regional and rural airports than may even not be able to accept jets. I think such planes are needed in Canada, and AC operating them and those destinations is important to those communities. Also - tickets to those destinations are expensive (a round trip to some rural town about 1-1.5 hrs worth of flying time to the north of Canadian border) can easily set you back by CAD1500, while AC Jazz/Express flights are accessible via Aeroplan (AC's frequent flier program).
 
anrec80
Posts: 2759
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:48 pm

danipawa wrote:
they are adding more CRJ ?


They may as well drop or cut frequencies to some rural and mountainous destinations.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:58 am

anrec80 wrote:
danipawa wrote:
they are adding more CRJ ?


They may as well drop or cut frequencies to some rural and mountainous destinations.

Atr is the solution for long term rural flying.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:59 am

anrec80 wrote:
danipawa wrote:
they are adding more CRJ ?


They may as well drop or cut frequencies to some rural and mountainous destinations.

Atr is the solution for long term rural flying.
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:02 am

Embajador3 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
What is going to replace the dash on these routes??


Nothing for at least the next 15 years.


Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.

is sure the solution for long term fuel gozzling dash 8's
 
User avatar
Embajador3
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:28 am

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 am

Dominion301 wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Nothing for at least the next 15 years.


Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.


Air St-Pierre, might use their ATRs to Canada, but they're not a Canadian airline; they're French. Every single current ATR operator in Canada since the demise of CP bought their ATRs used. That includes First Air/Canadian North, Calm Air, Westwind Aviation and Air North...the latter buying 7F's used -300s to make way for some -500s at 7F.

As was said, why would Jazz want to dump an aircraft that they're intimately familiar with for a brand-new type? AC mainline did so and I think it's safe to say they're regretting that decision.


I know Air Saint Pierre is French, so are Saint Pierre and Miquelon islands. My point was that many operators currently use ATRs in Canada, regardless of the nationality. As for Jazz's use of Dash8s instead of ATRs, I am certain they have their numbers to back their decissions.
Flying Together
 
yyztpa2
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:13 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:
danipawa wrote:
they are adding more CRJ ?


They may as well drop or cut frequencies to some rural and mountainous destinations.

Atr is the solution for long term rural flying.

Any rural flying I see is mainly with crop dusters. Now, if we're talking about small metro centers.....

Definition of rural
: of or relating to the country, country people or life, or agriculture
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:01 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Nothing for at least the next 15 years.


Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.

is sure the solution for long term fuel gozzling dash 8's


I take it you’re a huge ATR fan? I think it’s safe to say that most Canadian avgeeks are big on the Canadian built birds. I have to hand it to First Air though; they invented the ATR combi.
 
ExMilitaryEng
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:48 pm

I'm curious to know what's the DH3 CASM versus the ATR-42... Must not be that different, isn't it?
 
embraer175e2
Topic Author
Posts: 291
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: Jazz Dash8-100 200 retirement

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:54 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
Embajador3 wrote:

Why not use brand new ATR42/72s? Canadian North, Air Saint Pierre, Northstar Air and First Air use them in Canada, without a problem.

is sure the solution for long term fuel gozzling dash 8's


I take it you’re a huge ATR fan? I think it’s safe to say that most Canadian avgeeks are big on the Canadian built birds. I have to hand it to First Air though; they invented the ATR combi.

These home made birds are getting older. This is what the topic is all about, what will replace them in 15 years from now? Air Canada mentioned crj on some routes but not all routes are big enough for the crj according to contris in this topic.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos