Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAX772LR
Topic Author

VIDEO: insane crosswind *takeoffs* at BHX

Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:40 am

I've seen dozens of videos about the crazy crosswind approaches at BHX, but this is actually the first compilation of takeoffs that I've seen during the worst of the winds there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CBHHBi1aTw

I'm aware that it LOOKS far worse than it actually is, but still, to see an EK 77W get tossed around like that is just so innately unsettling to the senses! :eek:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

thepinkmachine

Re: VIDEO: insane crosswind *takeoffs* at BHX

Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:02 am

Fortunately, this stuff usually looks much scarier from the outside, than from the cockpit... :)
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:31 am

thepinkmachine wrote:
Fortunately, this stuff usually looks much scarier from the outside, than from the cockpit... :)

Indeed. I have to mentally remind myself of that every time flying through rough turbulence. :)

peterinlisbon

Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:41 am

Amazing video. Most of the planes are either Monarch, Thomas Cook or FlyBe, so this video must be at least a couple of years old.

pnut

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:34 pm

I feel for those people in the back of the A321s. The back end of that, and the A319, seem to toss all over the place during windy conditions! That blue 757 wingflex jolt was awesome after takeoff! The turboprobs looked like they were just sliding all around! It's amazing what these machines can handle sometimes! :bigthumbsup:
"Illegitmi non carborundum"

WayexTDI

Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:54 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
Amazing video. Most of the planes are either Monarch, Thomas Cook or FlyBe, so this video must be at least a couple of years old.

The video was uploaded June 6, 2016 per YouTube; so, yeah, at least a couple of years old...

asr0dzjq

Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:51 pm

Try getting an MD-11 to take off under those conditions
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

Western727

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:43 pm

As a GA pilot I appreciate "having" to deal with crosswinds, especially when significant gusts are involved, forcing me to do the crosswind component calculation to ensure that I do not exceed the aircraft's max crosswind component. Real yoke action is a great way to hone one's piloting skills, and I get annoyed when I learn of certain CFIs who cancel lessons for student pilots when the crosswind component isn't exceeded. Thankfully my CFIs (all 3 of who are ATPs today) didn't practice that, instead encouraging me to "face the music". Because, obviously, crosswinds...happen.

Having said that, I loved watching the flicker of the LED runway lights in some of these clips!
Jack @ AUS

reltney

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:53 pm

Absolutely funny. The 757 did it correct! Rarely I see anyone use aileron during the takeoff roll. Idiots. Been teaching heavy Jets for years and it bewilders me how the common sense of a little aileron into the wind cuts 3/4 of the problem on takeoff roll and rotation. Now you don’t want full throw but up to the point of roll spoiler is necessary. Where are the pilot skills going? Certainly none of the turboprops did anything remotely safe.... well, the ATR did ok... finally our airline put 30kt winds into our recurrent and I laugh every time I have to go back and teach swept wing aerodynamics and what to do with your ailerons during the takeoff roll. Basic aviation 101. If you can’t track the centerline on takeoff and transition to fly down the runway after liftoff. Fail.... that simple... imagine if one of those pilots had an engine failure during those winds...who’ll you put your family on those planes........ not me...
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

MrBretz

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm

Great video.....I liked the headwind turns into a tailwind frames...

arcticcruiser

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 pm

“Insane crosswind”, and one youtube “takeoff traumas”. Clickbait verbiage by those that hardly understand and don’t deal themselves with these situations. All in a days work.
Last edited by arcticcruiser on Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arcticcruiser

Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Arrg, this website.

LAX772LR
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:14 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
“Insane crosswind”, and one youtube “takeoff traumas”. Clickbait verbiage by those that hardly understand and don’t deal themselves with these situations. All in a days work.

I'm not sure how deficient one's self esteem need be, to seek attention by grandstanding over others' lack of situational exposure:
but it *is* indeed rather "insane" and/or easily "traumatic," for those who don't deal with these kind of ops on a recurrent or professional basis. :roll:

asr0dzjq wrote:
Try getting an MD-11 to take off under those conditions

Always wanted to see that!

dmstorm22

Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:25 am

arcticcruiser wrote:

Ah yes, same reason I hate watching highlights of Nadal or Federer hit 'insane shots' because it is all in a days work for them.

Lighten up man. I've not flown a plane myself but taken 100s of a flights, and been through rough turbulence up through go-arounds.

I still get a kick out of marveling at planes taking off or landing in this type of wind.

ikolkyo

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:54 am

Look at that GE90 just bobbing around, insane.

Western727

Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:36 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
Arrg, this website.

There are countless other websites out there. Nobody's forcing you to visit a.net.
Jack @ AUS

asr0dzjq

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:05 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:

Sadly, you're right.
R.I.P. Douglas Aircraft Company
Born 22 July 1921 | Died 23 May 2006
You will be missed, but your management will not.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos