Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

edealinfo
Topic Author

What has Delta not massively cut flights to Europe this summer as United has?

Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:59 pm

I noticed that Delta has not cut flights to Europe this summer even though United has implemented massive cuts. What gives? Is United ahead of the curve and Delta isn't?

Separately, Delta offers round trip flights to Europe for as little as 28K miles round trip for peak summer with wide availability.

Rdh3e

Re: What has Delta not massively cut flights to Europe this summer as United has?

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:31 pm

edealinfo wrote:
I noticed that Delta has not cut flights to Europe this summer even though United has implemented massive cuts. What gives? Is United ahead of the curve and Delta isn't?

Separately, Delta offers round trip flights to Europe for as little as 28K miles round trip for peak summer with wide availability.

You'll need to check your source. AA is the only US carrier that has actually reduced their schedule for the summer and they just did it this past weekend. DL/UA are both likely still figuring out how to re-accommodate passengers before pulling their schedules down. DL may still have inventory open for sale while UA may have closed down some flights, but they are both still "in the schedule" that is public.

Current YOY US>Europe Departures for July:
AA (51%)
DL +3%
UA +9%

chepos

Re: What has Delta not massively cut flights to Europe this summer as United has?

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Neither UA nor DL have announced a revised TransAtlantic flying program yet for 2020. As mentioned above , AA has, most probably the other two will shortly announce theirs in the upcoming weeks/days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

WayexTDI

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:37 pm

I think Delta has not updated their schedule yet.
I've been checking a round trip for end of June-early July, and the price hasn't moved since early January

tphuang

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I think all it takes is one carrier to do it for other carriers to do it. Now that AA has made its cuts, DL/UA will do so too.

There is a lot for the carriers to decide right now. A lot of them have decided how much they want to cut but not necessarily where they want to cut just yet. Give the carriers a little time. It's a busy time for them to try figure out how not to burn too much cash.

TW870

Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:54 pm

tphuang wrote:
I think all it takes is one carrier to do it for other carriers to do it. Now that AA has made its cuts, DL/UA will do so too.

There is a lot for the carriers to decide right now. A lot of them have decided how much they want to cut but not necessarily where they want to cut just yet. Give the carriers a little time. It's a busy time for them to try figure out how not to burn too much cash.

Yes, so much of the schedule pull-down process involves managing all of the labor it is going to create. American did a big cut all at once. I have not heard how it is going from a customer service perspective, but it looks like the other two carriers are biting it off in smaller chunks to avoid completely overwhelming the phone lines and online platforms. I have tickets to Europe on DL/AF for a late August departure. There is no reason to make me get a million push notifications right now about schedule changes, because it is just not clear what August is going to look like. Work the May rebookings now, then then move on to the later summer operation. But I think you will see at least a 50% cut on skyteam for summer.

WidebodyPTV

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:08 pm

I think DL’s more worries about its May schedules, and live updates to April, than it is about the summer. There’s been a push to increase fares, but they’re still low, and the “sales” have been extended through the summer, so it isn’t like people are booking...

AA747123

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 pm

My WAG is that DL and UA have not planned that far out. I would assume eventually they will see similar cuts. What really surprised me is AA is not even running at least 1 LAXLHR.

CALMSP

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:13 pm

AA747123 wrote:
My WAG is that DL and UA have not planned that far out. I would assume eventually they will see similar cuts. What really surprised me is AA is not even running at least 1 LAXLHR.

if BA is operating, then that's all BA/AA want to schedule. This is where JV's will help protect airlines.

joeblow10

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:18 pm

As someone pointed out above - the May schedule is probably the most pressing matter for DL. It’s still fully loaded with original capacity in there, and since I’m guessing we won’t need 9 daily flights on ATL-LAS or ATL-DEN for example, they’ve got a lot of work to do to pull that down.

chepos

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:20 pm

AA747123 wrote:

Should not surprise you, have you seen the amount of current pax flying of the US3 across the pond?
DL -2 flights to AMS (ATL/DTW)
UA- LHR/FRA (EWR)
AA- LHR (MIA/DFW)

Fly the Flag!!!!

edealinfo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 pm

chepos wrote:
Neither UA nor DL have announced a revised TransAtlantic flying program yet for 2020. As mentioned above , AA has, most probably the other two will shortly announce theirs in the upcoming weeks/days.

Thanks. I am unable to change "United" in the title to "American Airlines". Could a moderator, please help out?

Separately, would Delta cancel a summer flight, if it is 50% full at this time but most of those seats are frequent flyer tickets from 25K to 28K miles round trip?

edealinfo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:34 pm

Question.

If Delta cuts one flight of a round-trip flight, will the person be eligible for a full refund...... even if Delta automatically re-accommodates the person on a partner airline flight that would take off within 90 minutes of the cancelled flight?

Thanks.

Kilopond

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:47 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
[...]DL/UA are both likely still figuring out how to re-accommodate passengers before pulling their schedules down.[...]

What passengers? No travel bans will be lifted anytime soon.

JAMBOJET

Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:59 pm

Someone with more knowledge can answer this... but wouldn't Delta have to coordinate much more with AF-KL than AA/IAG and UA/LH Group due to the Delta Pilot agreement? I'd think their summer schedule would depend on how much AF-KL cut, right?
Not to say AA and UA wouldn't coordinate with their JV partners on all this, but they wouldn't violate any union contracts by a lower percentage of Atlantic flying compared to their JV partners.

delimit

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:03 pm

Kilopond wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
[...]DL/UA are both likely still figuring out how to re-accommodate passengers before pulling their schedules down.[...]

The ones they would have to issue refunds to if they cancel the flights.

tjerome

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:26 pm

They're definitely focused on May first. At least as of now there will be more flying across the Atlantic and Pacific than there is right now. It could go month-by-month for a while, but I think eventually there will be some announcements of seasonal Atlantic flying being cancelled for this summer.

jayunited

Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Kilopond wrote:

This thread is talking about June/July/August/September schedules. AA has decided to run most of their European schedule out of their ORD/DFW hubs this summer.

Even though UA has not publicly announced our summer plans I do know that we have multiple options on the table that are being considered and all of those options do include cuts to our European schedule. When will UA make the announcement I don't know but no one expects travel to return to pre-COVID-19 levels anytime soon.

Right now airlines have their hands full dealing with April cancellations, all three of these carriers had an April schedule already out and within the past week AA, DL, and UA have all announced major reductions in flying to the New York/New Jersey area. Phone calls to our reservation centers are insane and UA has moved CSR from some airport locations to reservation centers here in the U.S. to help our reservation agents deal with the increased work load. Even with the additional CSRs from the airport phone wait times are still horrendous. Announcing June/July/August and September schedule right now would increase the already horrendous wait time exponentially.

Another reasons why UA has not yet (to my understanding made a final decision) the first reason is waiting for more guidance from the CDC and WHO as to how much of an impact this virus will still have on the global population and global travel by June/July/August. There is a belief that most major world economies will be reopen by July at the latest but the impact on travel and travel bans is still unknown. Globally we are a long ways from having a clear picture of what to expect come June/July/August and September.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:06 pm

jayunited wrote:
Announcing June/July/August and September schedule right now would increase the already horrendous wait time exponentially.

First, that you for the extremely useful post.

With regard to your quoted statement above, I understand that UA wouldn't want to pull the schedule right now or cancel flights, but why do they allow people to make fresh bookings. I mean, if they cancel the flight aren't they responsible for booking the passenger on another flight (possibly not of their own) which may come at an even more expensive cost to them. As an example, if someone booked a UA flight to London, and then UA cancelled it but UA is now forced to re-book that person on another flight and one isn't available on their partner, and UA has to rebook on BA or Virgin, wouldn't that come at a great cost to UA?

Kilopond

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:29 pm

jayunited wrote:
[...]Globally we are a long ways from having a clear picture of what to expect come June/July/August and September.

:D Hehe, this is a very diplomatic response. ;) But there will not be any normal intercontinental travel during the period in question. In the very best case there will be a travel regime that would demand SARS-CoV-2 negative certificates and compulsory quarantine on both sides of the pond.

However, the whole situation is absolutely unprecidented in modern times which definitely qualifies as force majeur.

Kilopond

Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:56 pm

edealinfo wrote:
[...]if someone booked a UA flight to London [...] and UA has to rebook on BA or Virgin, wouldn't that come at a great cost to UA?

Sorry to say so, but this is a very unrealistic scenario. I don*t want to blame you personally, but it seems to me that some folks here are still in denial and refuse to hear the cannonballs roaring.

jayunited

Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:27 am

Kilopond wrote:
jayunited wrote:
[...]Globally we are a long ways from having a clear picture of what to expect come June/July/August and September.

:D Hehe, this is a very diplomatic response. ;) But there will not be any normal intercontinental travel during the period in question. In the very best case there will be a travel regime that would demand SARS-CoV-2 negative certificates and compulsory quarantine on both sides of the pond.

However, the whole situation is absolutely unprecidented in modern times which definitely qualifies as force majeur.

Okay I understand what you are implying and summer in your opinion will be to soon for "normal" intercontinental travel and you are talking about more than just flight reductions but also a change in departure and arrival procedures.

Just so I'm clear are you suggesting once travel bans are relaxed people will be required to take a COVID-19 test, the test results must be negative, they will need to bring those test results to the airport and have them either on their phone via an app or perhaps a paper copy and even with the negative test results passengers would still be required to go into mandatory 14 day quarantine once they arrive at their destination?

If that is what you are expecting my next question is; do you believe the restrictions you've stated will remain in place until a vaccine is in place and widely available?

IPFreely

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:06 am

edealinfo wrote:
Separately, would Delta cancel a summer flight, if it is 50% full at this time but most of those seats are frequent flyer tickets from 25K to 28K miles round trip?

There is no way Delta (or any airline) would fill anywhere near 50% of a summer TATL flight with frequent flyer tickets.

The cancelling is something of a waiting game. If DL cancels, paying passengers get refunds. The longer DL waits, the more paying passengers will cancel. And those passengers will generally get credit/vouchers at best, not cash refunds.

kavok

Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:11 am

IPFreely wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

There is no way Delta (or any airline) would fill anywhere near 50% of a summer TATL flight with frequent flyer tickets.

The cancelling is something of a waiting game. If DL cancels, paying passengers get refunds. The longer DL waits, the more paying passengers will cancel. And those passengers will generally get credit/vouchers at best, not cash refunds.

Exactly. At this point, assuming DL believes that summer traffic will be as bleak as predicted, the best option for DL is to first announce and allow “free changes for June, July, etc.” with the hope than many choose to take the change and get the ecredit. Only after an extended amount of time that is sufficiently long enough to get passengers to make the change should they formally cancel the flight.

Rdh3e

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:35 am

edealinfo wrote:
If Delta cuts one flight of a round-trip flight, will the person be eligible for a full refund...... even if Delta automatically re-accommodates the person on a partner airline flight that would take off within 90 minutes of the cancelled flight?

It would depend if they cross the threshold. For 90 minutes they probably don't have to offer a refund.

Kilopond wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

There are plenty of people who booked tickets before the pandemic started. The summer may be booked 50%+ for some of the leisure destinations. Most of these far-out bookings are non-refundable so people can't just cancel their own reservation unless the airline makes a change to it outside of the rules (which were just clarified by the DOT). This incentivizes the airlines to leave their schedule as is in order to prevent issuing a bunch of refunds at the exact moment they are in an absolute cash crunch.

All of that in addition to not overwhelming the call centers with thousands of people inquiring about their changes or refunds etc.

NWAROOSTER

Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:59 am

If Delta was to continue Trans Atlantic flights under less than ideal conditions or load factors would it be possible for Delta to operate more 757-200s flights. They carry fewer passengers and have the range. If necessary a technical stop (fuel stop) might be required but that would help solve the lower load factors. I am not saying this would happen but it could be an option. :old:
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:15 am

edealinfo wrote:

Do not worry they will. They mostly have been focusing on getting April/May at this point. May isn't even complete at this point. There is so much to do on these schedules and deciding what planes to park and retire. Do not worry any scenario massive Delta Europe cancellations are coming for this Summer. They are just trying to get closer in schedules (May). Its been so day to day they are looking for clues on how dead it will be this Summer. Delta is just like all of us, this has caught us all off guard and they are doing tons of work to try to figure it all out. They are being forced to plan, manage and work out all the logistics of a major company in such a short time period.

onwFan

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:22 am

delimit wrote:
Kilopond wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:

The ones they would have to issue refunds to if they cancel the flights.

None of these passengers are even remotely considering flying, and DL knows that. It is clear they are just trying to pocket all the money they can by pretending they are flying and loading the cancellations at the last moment - they did exactly the same with their transpacific schedule for April by announcing cancellation of almost all Haneda routes in the first week of April, when AA and UA announced their schedules way back.

WayexTDI

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:23 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
I think DL’s more worries about its May schedules, and live updates to April, than it is about the summer. There’s been a push to increase fares, but they’re still low, and the “sales” have been extended through the summer, so it isn’t like people are booking...

I have been monitoring a specific fare (ATL-BOD in late June, return mid-July) since early January; it hasn't moved, and is on par with 2018 prices. I don't think they're still low.

usdcaguy

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:30 am

edealinfo wrote:
Question.

Thanks.

They’re supposed to, but only if you decline the new schedule. They wouldn’t both fly you on a new partner flight and give you money.

Lootess

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:14 am

What more are you asking for? The situation is fluid everyday and DL doesn't have to update it until they feel it's final.

DL DTW-AMS, ATL-AMS are the only transatlantic routes running now. ATL-LHR 1x was axed.

factsonly

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:34 am

Lootess wrote:
What more are you asking for? The situation is fluid everyday and DL doesn't have to update it until they feel it's final.

DL DTW-AMS, ATL-AMS are the only transatlantic routes running now. ATL-LHR 1x was axed.

ATL-AMS is running daily A333 as published, but DTW-AMS is only running 4x A359 per week.

- 09 Apr 2020 DL134 DTW - AMS A359 Canceled
- 08 Apr 2020 DL134 DTW - AMS A359 N510DN
- 07 Apr 2020 DL134 DTW - AMS A359 Canceled
- 06 Apr 2020 DL134 DTW - AMS A359 Canceled
- 05 Apr 2020 DL134 DTW - AMS A359 N511DN
- 04 Apr 2020 DL134 DTW - AMS A359 N507DN
- 03 Apr 2020 DL134 DTW - AMS A359 N505DN

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/dl134

And remember....the DL/AF/KL/VS joint venture partners are also running USA-AMS, USA-CDG and USA-LHR on AF, KL, VS metal for passengers and some freight only.
Last edited by factsonly on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Detroit313

Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:43 am

Because they have not updated their summer schedule yet.

LJ

Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:17 am

edealinfo wrote:

Considering you mean AA, AA canceled those leisure oriented peak Summer and Summer seasonal flights only. Flights which carry a lot of business passengers are cancelled for May only.

JAMBOJET wrote:
Someone with more knowledge can answer this... but wouldn't Delta have to coordinate much more with AF-KL than AA/IAG and UA/LH Group due to the Delta Pilot agreement? I'd think their summer schedule would depend on how much AF-KL cut, right?

It would be stupid if they don't coordibate with KL. If KL flies to that destination, it can offer the passenger the one-stop and thus the money remains within the JV. If not, it has to decide how to rebook the passenger outside of the JV (not their preferred option).

DarkSnowyNight

Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 am

tphuang wrote:

I think this is a reasonable assessment. I do not see how anyone will be able to sustain much of their operations this year, leave alone international. Not on what the projected LFs are shaping up to. One legacy running at 50% would very likely be overkill.

I think left to their own devices, a lot more of their respective fleets would be long term parked and likely some more would be retired. But the truth is that this is an unprecedented and difficult task to organize, and will take time to implement fully. As a silver lining, a slow semi-effective recovery will give them time to properly manage this on the other end.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

JAMBOJET

Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:52 am

LJ wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

Considering you mean AA, AA canceled those leisure oriented peak Summer and Summer seasonal flights only. Flights which carry a lot of business passengers are cancelled for May only.

JAMBOJET wrote:

It would be stupid if they don't coordibate with KL. If KL flies to that destination, it can offer the passenger the one-stop and thus the money remains within the JV. If not, it has to decide how to rebook the passenger outside of the JV (not their preferred option).

Question wasn’t about “coordibation”, it was about percentage of flying required under Delta’s pilot agreement that other JVs don’t have.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:23 pm

Lootess wrote:

Doesn't DL have operate JFK as a hub out to Europe?

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:34 pm

I think the thread starter was thinking Delta would operate all those flights to Europe. The easy Answer here is they won't. Not even close they just have just not uploaded which will be cancelled YET.

They probably don't even know . There is so much to track here. Also as others said they don't want to have to refund tickets yet. Do not worry they absolutely have a huge list coming. More cancellations then flights will be flown. AA isn't even done yet they will have more coming.

Lootess

Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:35 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Lootess wrote:

Doesn't DL have operate JFK as a hub out to Europe?

VS-AF-KLM JV is handling the flights respectfully to LHR, CDG, and AMS from JFK.

tphuang

Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:33 pm

Well KL just extended the cuts of the JVs schedule to AMS, so that should give you an idea of changes they will make. Based on the KL extension, they are likely to run the current reduced schedule until at least early July.

Lootess

Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:16 am

DL-KLM JV update until July: Image

Dalmd88

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 am

edealinfo wrote:

They would not be 50% frequent flyer awards. Only a small percentage of a given flight is allocated to award redemption. Especially for standard awards.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:11 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
edealinfo wrote:

They would not be 50% frequent flyer awards. Only a small percentage of a given flight is allocated to award redemption. Especially for standard awards.

You are wrong. With Delta, every seat can be sold as a frequent flyer miles seat. As long as a seat is available on a Delta flight, it has its price in miles (which is dynamically priced based on supply and demand). If it is 25K miles roundtrip to Europe and 50% full for a flight in June, it means that Delta is pricing it in miles so low because even with the low mileage requirements, it doesn't expect the flight to be full in June.

edealinfo
Topic Author

Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:04 am

IPFreely wrote:

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
One legacy running at 50% would very likely be overkill.

Dalmd88 wrote:

Sorry to say but You are wrong. With Delta, every seat can be sold as a frequent flyer miles seat. As long as a seat is available on a Delta flight, it has its price in miles (which is dynamically priced based on supply and demand). If it is 25K miles roundtrip to Europe and 50% full for a flight in June, it means that Delta is pricing it in miles so low because even with the low mileage requirements, it doesn't expect the flight to be full in June.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos