Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

magnumspec
Topic Author

American Airlines paint scheme

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:53 pm

For the current (2020) American Airlines fleet, I've seen both with a gray and a silver scheme. Anyone know what is the official paint scheme for their fleet or is the difference only on type of aircraft (Airbus gray and Boeing silver)?

jholio

Re: American Airlines paint scheme

Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:56 pm

I think it's supposed to be the same paint on both. The difference in the pictures you posted could just be lighting making one reflect more than the other. In the bottom picture, it looks like the sun is behind the photographer and in the top picture, it looks like the sun is to the left of the photographer so you don't get that same direct reflection coming back into the camera.

WayexTDI

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:12 pm

magnumspec wrote:
For the current (2020) American Airlines fleet, I've seen both with a gray and a silver scheme. Anyone know what is the official paint scheme for their fleet or is the difference only on type of aircraft (Airbus gray and Boeing silver)?

Isn't silver a variation of grey/gray? The various tones of silver all have "gray" in some form in their ISCC–NBS System of Color Designation.

NYPECO

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:19 pm

I think it depends on the lighting. It usually always looks plain grey imo.

alasizon

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:24 pm

There was a change sometime in 2017 (I think) that had to do with a mica infused paint that was wearing down quicker than planned. From what I recall it was initially painted on some 757s and then expanded out from there.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

dfdubflyer

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Did Jonnyc have a rumor a few months back we'd see a change soon? Could be related to this

JBo

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:50 pm

alasizon wrote:
There was a change sometime in 2017 (I think) that had to do with a mica infused paint that was wearing down quicker than planned. From what I recall it was initially painted on some 757s and then expanded out from there.

That, and there are always going to be variations with different batches of paint - especially when you get the silver mica material involved.

On top of that, the differences you see could also be caused by the color settings on the camera that took the photo, or whatever corrections the photographer made when processing the image in Lightroom.

The only way to truly confirm if there's any significant variance in paint would be to inspect the aircraft in person with the naked eye.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

kann123air

Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:55 pm

JBo wrote:
On top of that, the differences you see could also be caused by the color settings on the camera that took the photo, or whatever corrections the photographer made when processing the image in Lightroom.

Can confirm, I changed up the hue a little bit in Photoshop on the 77W.

And thanks for the plug! ;)
Going for great

crownvic

Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:56 am

As mentioned above, mica paint changes with color. There is a metal "flake" content in mica paint that will react to light from the sun as much as it will react to an overcast sky. If you want to see extremes of mica color change in light, look no further than images of Northwest planes in the final livery. Their mica was more concentrated than AA's mica and really had swings in shades, depending on lighting.

flightsimer

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:26 am

There is definitely a difference between paints. On our fleet of 175’s, the AA delivered 175’s have a slightly different tone to them then our Ex-Airways 175’s. Ive always chalked it up to variances in paint shops and paint batches.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

vhtje

Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:40 am

It would look better in white.

I cannot believe I am advocating for yet another boring Eurowhite-liveried aircraft, but it’s true. I realise the grey fuselage is to link the scheme to the previous 1968 scheme (which I loved, but arguably it was time for a change), but I think white with that complex sparkly stylised flag on the tail would look absolutely smashing. More in keeping with the US flag, too.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

JannEejit

Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:46 am

I thought the idea behind the 'new' scheme was to provide a uniform, pan-fleet look that could replace the polished aluminium look right across the board on old and newer aircraft with a variety of structural materials, such as CFRP's and traditional aluminium ?

BN727227Ultra

Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:44 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:
Did Jonnyc have a rumor a few months back we'd see a change soon? Could be related to this

I think that this is the wrong time to tout a 'rebirth' or 'rededication to service' or 'new beginning', especially with a potential BK, a literal decimation of payroll, and 5% load factors.

That, and I like the livery.

dfdubflyer

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:35 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:

I think that this is the wrong time to tout a 'rebirth' or 'rededication to service' or 'new beginning', especially with a potential BK, a literal decimation of payroll, and 5% load factors.

That, and I like the livery.

Lol what? I said nothing of that kind and just referenced an old post

Sooner787

Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:44 pm

AA's livery looks stunning in bright sunlight, especially on their 787's , but looks as haze gray as any USAF C-17 in overcast
or rainy, foggy weather.

itripreport

Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:53 pm

I have. a photo of an American A321 engine cowling where one piece is a shade lighter than the rest of the engine cowling. So yeah, they do have slightly different shades of gray.
Lemme see if I can find the photo.

skipness1E

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:40 pm

It’s not unprecedented, BA changed from off white to brilliant white and the fleet has mismatched nosecones galore now!

Antarius

Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:51 pm

dfdubflyer wrote:

Yes - here it is viewtopic.php?t=1435231
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

TripleA

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:41 am

It's funny that you ask this because just the other week we had a CR7 come into our station and though it was nighttime I immediately noticed that its nose cone was a different color than the rest of the plane. The entire plane was painted in the more dull gray color while the nose cone was much more shiny / metallic. So there was in fact a change/modification to the livery. It's not just the lighting.

n7371f

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:39 am

Expensive paint job.

T18

Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:28 pm

I always thought that RJs looks much worse in the new colors than the mainline jets do, granted the RJs looked worse in the old livery too as most were painted white as a base vs the chrome finish on the mad-dogs for example. I just with the tail design carried forward in some way.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Polot

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:10 pm

T18 wrote:
I always thought that RJs looks much worse in the new colors than the mainline jets do, granted the RJs looked worse in the old livery too as most were painted white as a base vs the chrome finish on the mad-dogs for example. I just with the tail design carried forward in some way.

I actually disagree and think the RJs look the best in the new livery, especially the E175s. Good tail to fuselage size ratio and I like the smaller American Eagle titles under the windows over the billboard.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos