Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

workhorse

Re: Air France KLM - Master Thread

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:28 am

Alsatian wrote:
Transavia France will add eight 737s to its fleet for the next summer season to get a total of 48 airframes (in french) : https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-fi ... 58220.html

Any idea on where these will come from?

FlyingHonu001

Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:01 pm

workhorse wrote:
Alsatian wrote:
Transavia France will add eight 737s to its fleet for the next summer season to get a total of 48 airframes (in french) : https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-fi ... 58220.html

Rental planes, most likely again via G3

PANAMsterdam

Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:08 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Alsatian wrote:

Rental planes, most likely again via G3

With interesting hybrid liveries!
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

airbuster

Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:10 pm

About the KL A330s there is PH-AON that will be retired soon. The others will serve more routes coming winter but they remain an oddball in KLMs future single long haul fleet strategy. COO has stated that for now they will retain the 330s as a flexible skin to lighten the load on the 77/78 fleet or take advantage of an uptick in traffic. And CEO Elbers stated that lessors/financial institutions are having a hard time coping with all airlines wanting to return planes earlier than contractually agreed. Add to that the fact that state aid will be given to AFKL and that the French have already stated that AF should shop for more Airbii in the future anything is possible with the Airbus at KLM.
FLY FOKKER JET LINE!

factsonly

Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:17 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
To be more precise: all A333's and at least one A332 are dry lease, so chances are they are indeed on the shortlist of retirement

Sorry FlyingHonu001, to be more precise.............

- Wet-lease = a rather short term aircraft lease, including operating crew and insurance.
- Dry-lease = a medium-term lease of just an aircraft, mostly used to handle seasonal capacity issues.

Neither of these two lease constructions apply to AF/KLM's A330 fleet !

What you probably wish to refer to, is:

- Operating lease = A long-term aircraft lease, where aircraft ownship remains with the lease company.
- Finance Lease = A long term aircraft lease, where aircraft ownership passes to the airline on completion of the lease.

AF/KLM uses the latter two for 99% of its fleet.
The A330 fleet is mostly on Operating Leases, where ownership does not pass to AF/KLM, but remains with the lessor company, so aircraft can be returned to the owner.

FlyingHonu001

Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:25 pm

factsonly wrote:
FlyingHonu001 wrote:
To be more precise: all A333's and at least one A332 are dry lease, so chances are they are indeed on the shortlist of retirement

- Wet-lease = a rather short term aircraft lease, including operating crew and insurance.
- Dry-lease = a medium-term lease of just an aircraft, mostly used to handle seasonal capacity issues.

- Operating lease = A long-term aircraft lease, where aircraft ownship remains with the lease company.
- Finance Lease = A long term aircraft lease, where aircraft ownership passes to the airline on completion of the lease.

The A330 fleet is mostly on Operating Leases, where ownership does not pass to AF/KLM, but remains with the lessor company, so aircraft can be returned to the owner.

I stand corrected :oops: Thanks for the clarification though :bigthumbsup:

x1234

Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:45 pm

Since the A330's are GE powered, is there a chance KLM will sell the A330's to Delta? I know AF is refurbishing its A332's.

pythoniels

Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:00 pm

andrew1996 wrote:
Any idea why KLM seems pretty aggresive currently in maintaining frequency at daily (or near daily) for most places? Are they depending on AMS as a cargo hub? I have noticed that KLM has been flying daily to SIN when no other European carriers, including BA, is serving SIN on a daily basis with travel restrictions on both ends? In fact, Air France is like 2-3X weekly on a smaller 789 for SIN too compared to KLM's 77W for SIN

There’s still some business there as Singapore May return to Singapore from both Europe and from DPS as the tail-end SIN-DPS-SIN is still in place. While Indonesia is also closed except for citizens and those with a work permit, the flights must be rather empty. I get why KL continues to operate this flight, but not on a daily basis.

There’s also the flights to HKG/CGK/MNL all making a stop in BKK but BKK being closed for foreigners as well. The flights to HKG and CGK are very empty, sometimes only 20-50 pax on board unfortunately.

Perhaps crew is allowed to stay in BKK overnight, and not in CGK/HKG/MNL?

777luver

Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:25 pm

What about the A318s?

remco1979

Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:02 pm

factsonly wrote:
FlyingHonu001 wrote:

You can find details in the KL annual report 2019 page 42:
https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/images ... 063986.pdf

6x332 owned, rest is via operating lease

marcogr12

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:03 pm

workhorse wrote:
Alsatian wrote:

Where will they be deployed? I couldnt open the article as a non-subscriber...Eight seems a lot in one batch... Shouldn't have they leased more -700s to cope with the falling demand and adjust capacity, instead of flying only bigger half-empty -800s?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

Alsatian

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:11 am

marcogr12 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
Alsatian wrote:

Where will they be deployed? I couldnt open the article as a non-subscriber...Eight seems a lot in one batch... Shouldn't have they leased more -700s to cope with the falling demand and adjust capacity, instead of flying only bigger half-empty -800s?

For the first time, Transavia will be allowed to operate french domestic routes. Some have already been announced and more to come so here is a clue about the future use of the new frames.

factsonly

KLM Launches Zanzibar, 6th East African destination

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:21 pm

KLM extends its presence in East Africa with the launch of a stop in Zanzibar Kisauni Airport en-route to DAR:

- KL515 B781 AMS09.40 - 20.25 ZNZ 21.40 - 22.35 DAR 23.40 - 07.00 AMS Thu, Sun

Pre-COVID KLM operated AMS-JRO-DAR on a daily basis, but lately also routed AMS-KGL-DAR-AMS.

From December 2020 the AMS-DAR route will be operated 6x weekly:
- AMS-JRO-DAR 4x weekly B781
- AMS-ZNZ-DAR 2x weekly B789

From December the airline will serve six destinations in East Africa: EBB, NBO, JRO, DAR, ZNZ, KGL.

https://www.klm.co.uk/search/advanced?c ... nnection=0

PANAMsterdam

Re: KLM Launches Zanzibar, 6th East African destination

Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:35 pm

How do they manage this slot-wise? I understand that Corona has had a major impact on aviation, but from what I can remember were all slots 'frozen' and airlines couldn't lose them after emergency measures taken to overrule the 'use it or lose it' slot-law.
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

PHBVF

Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:30 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:
How do they manage this slot-wise? I understand that Corona has had a major impact on aviation, but from what I can remember were all slots 'frozen' and airlines couldn't lose them after emergency measures taken to overrule the 'use it or lose it' slot-law.

Probably because they still have unused slots as they are not up to pre-corona frequency.
Also this is in stead of a JRO-DAR rotation as opposed to supplemental. That's normally a daily route and the combined frequency will bring it to 6 weekly as per OP message.
Licensed 777/787 driver

factsonly

Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:59 pm

PANAMsterdam wrote:

First of all, there is no slot issue as KLM operated AMS-DAR 7x weekly in W19 and now plans 6x weekly in W20, so the airline actually opens up slots.
Second there is a European agreement that airlines do not loose their slot rights during this COVID pandemic.

At present, there are many slots available at AMS and several new operators have gained access to the airport.
This situation is similar to LHR, which accepts many LGW flights and operators.

In COVID 2020 AMS gained the following new operators:
- Kuwait Airways Cargo
- Avianca Cargo
- Blue Air (starts Oct. 9, 2020)

In addition many passenger and cargo operators increased the number of cargo flights.

SonaSounds

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:05 pm

KLM's Africa network continues to impress!

FSDan

Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:40 pm

SonaSounds wrote:

And when combined with AF's strength to West and North Africa, it's especially impressive!
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

LH658

Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Lufthansa is also flying to Zanzibar and also Mombasa.

eastafspot

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:51 pm

Wise move for (AF)KL since the termination of the JV with KQ. It would not be surprising to see more new destinations served by KL in the near future (MBA, BJM or back to ADD or LUN/HRE).

In the meantime, ZNZ brand new T2 got inaugurated a few weeks ago, but still awaiting for OACI approval to welcome passengers. Take a look at inside here:
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/ ... -169951781
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

eastafspot

Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:54 pm

SonaSounds wrote:

Wise move for (AF)KL since the termination of the JV with KQ. It would not be surprising to see more new destinations served by KL in the near future (MBA, BJM or back to ADD + LUN/HRE).

In the meantime, ZNZ brand new T2 got inaugurated a few weeks ago, but still awaiting for ICAO approval to welcome passengers. Take a look at inside here:
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

abrelosojos

Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 am

I don't know what surprises me more ... KL not flying MBA, or LH beating other mainline carriers to the punch, and having MBA service.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

migair54

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:35 pm

eastafspot wrote:
SonaSounds wrote:

Wise move for (AF)KL since the termination of the JV with KQ. It would not be surprising to see more new destinations served by KL in the near future (MBA, BJM or back to ADD + LUN/HRE).

In the meantime, ZNZ brand new T2 got inaugurated a few weeks ago, but still awaiting for ICAO approval to welcome passengers. Take a look at inside here:

Maybe we could see some tag on existing routes like EBB, or some triangular routing, lot of cargo opportunities for an airline like KLM, but I am not sure if the demand will be there any time soon.

Finally the T2 of ZNZ will be open, it's late by few years now, big tourist spot, I have been there few times and is nice, I think Pemba has even more potential that ZNZ but it's very little developed, they could have nice resorts like Maldives in the West part of the island.

LH658 wrote:
Lufthansa is also flying to Zanzibar and also Mombasa.

They both had plenty of charters from Germany and Italy mainly, however most of that airlines are no longer among us, so tour operators need to find alternative ways, I remember I saw Alitalia in Zanzibar few times.

PANAMsterdam wrote:

KLM can always reduce some flights here and there and add new ones, shuffle some departure and arrival times to make room for more convenient destinations., it's like BA at LHR, many times new flights are not new slots, they are just reuse ones from routes that quietly are reduced or even cancelled.

eastafspot

Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:20 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
I don't know what surprises me more ... KL not flying MBA

Since June 2020, only codeshares to/from East Africa via NBO are now valid/offered for AF/KL, at the opposite of codeshares from European cities via AMS, CDG or LHR for KQ. If the traffic to the Kenyan coastal town, less leisure-oriented than ZNZ, shows good figures then KL will most likely take the best decision once the C19 thing almost over! It may not please KQ at all, but do they have choice now considering their terrible situation?

migair54 wrote:
Maybe we could see some tag on existing routes like EBB, or some triangular routing, lot of cargo opportunities for an airline like KLM, but I am not sure if the demand will be there any time soon.

Finally the T2 of ZNZ will be open, it's late by few years now, big tourist spot, I have been there few times and is nice, I think Pemba has even more potential that ZNZ but it's very little developed, they could have nice resorts like Maldives in the West part of the island.

Yes you are right, except NBO no other route are served non stop. EBB seems a perfect "hub" for KL with a new infrastructure soon (first cargo, then in 4-5 years time frame pax).
Agree with you with ZNZ and Maldives comparison, to be honest, I had lost hope since the construction works began well before DAR, 11 years ago or so (I have my own photos as proofs ;)), but got delayed countless of times.
The problem with Pemba is the connectivity to the economic capital or different touristic spots compared to Zanzibar. When (pre-covid), we planned to visit Zanzibar or Pemba in June this year, pristine beaches or seclude hotels weren't enough to endure the extra trip duration.
But most important, TZ Government has other big projects before developping Pemba, I might be wrong though!

mercure1

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Air France says good bye to the A340.

The A340-300 registered F-GLZK and bearing the colors of Joon, operated one way retirement flight October 12, 2020 to Istanbul.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AFR ... /LFPG/LTBA

A340 has served at Air France for 22 years.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EkRsJIXXsAA ... ame=medium
mercure f-wtcc

FGITD

Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:30 pm

I believe that would also mark the end of Air France quad jet operations. Pretty remarkable, given the prominence of twinjets for decades now

and unfortunate that despite having a sizable fleet, the a340s go quietly and not even wearing the right livery.

mercure1

Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Yes, it was a rather silent adieu to the A340 and end of quad ops at AF. AF operated 34 A340 frames (-200/-300) over the years.
mercure f-wtcc

Iemand91

Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm

FGITD wrote:
I believe that would also mark the end of Air France quad jet operations.

Indeed it is. This is the end of 67 years of quad jets at Air France starting with the de Havilland DH.106 Comet in 1953.
Since 1959 (Boeing 707), Air France always had quad jets in their fleet...
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

AZa346

Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:08 pm

I am very surprised that Air France retired all the Embraer 145 and ATR (entire 40~ seat fleet of the group) from HOP this june/july and now they are wetleasing Amelia for some routes (I have seen Paris Orly- Castres but I am sure there are other routes as well). Wouldn't it have been easier to keep the flying in house, considering that it is not that easy to terminate crews and thus that expense doesn't go away when retiring a fleet?
also, i am sure that the CRJ 700 is too big of an AC on some routes they operate and so they are readjusting frequency( for example MXP-LYS went from 2 daily E145 to one daily CRJ700, decreasingly enormously the connectivity)

Alsatian

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:30 pm

AZa346 wrote:
I am very surprised that Air France retired all the Embraer 145 and ATR (entire 40~ seat fleet of the group) from HOP this june/july and now they are wetleasing Amelia for some routes (I have seen Paris Orly- Castres but I am sure there are other routes as well). Wouldn't it have been easier to keep the flying in house, considering that it is not that easy to terminate crews and thus that expense doesn't go away when retiring a fleet?
also, i am sure that the CRJ 700 is too big of an AC on some routes they operate and so they are readjusting frequency( for example MXP-LYS went from 2 daily E145 to one daily CRJ700, decreasingly enormously the connectivity)

Between your message and mine, Air France has lost hundreds of thousands of euros. I doubt that keeping two subfleets would have improve figures.

AZa346

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Alsatian wrote:
Between your message and mine, Air France has lost hundreds of thousands of euros. I doubt that keeping two subfleets would have improve figures.

Yes, sadly that is true. If the subfleets weren't needed i would definite agree with you, but considering that they show that they need that ac size and also that it would be more appropriate for routes for which the CRJ700 or e170 were appropriate pre-Covid and might bee too much of a plane now, I am not sure i understand the reasoning behind this choice.

Theseus

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:44 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Air France says good bye to the A340.

The A340-300 registered F-GLZK and bearing the colors of Joon, operated one way retirement flight October 12, 2020 to Istanbul.

I read this with a bit of nostalgia, as I have plenty of wonderful memories on board of the AF A340s. Wonderful aircraft to fly on.

jbs2886

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:50 pm

AZa346 wrote:
Alsatian wrote:

Yes, sadly that is true. If the subfleets weren't needed i would definite agree with you, but considering that they show that they need that ac size and also that it would be more appropriate for routes for which the CRJ700 or e170 were appropriate pre-Covid and might bee too much of a plane now, I am not sure i understand the reasoning behind this choice.

Apparently AF disagrees with you that they need an aircraft that size.

mercure1

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Lets remember as part of Hop! restructuring, they will be dropping nearly all their previous points to point routes where the smaller aircraft were used and will focus instead on feeder services from hubs in Paris CDG and Lyon-Saint Exupéry
As per AF corporate announcement in August, Hop! domestic France routes generated €80mil loss in 2019. The restructuring will see 40% reduction in staff positions and a streamlined fleet of 32 Embraer frames at Hop!
mercure f-wtcc

mercure1

Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:48 pm

As additional market deterioration is anticipated this winter, KLM has reopened its voluntary resignation scheme and seeks a further 1,500 jobs reductions in addition to the previously announced 5,000.
KLM now planning an additional 10-20% reduction in summer 2021 capacity.
mercure f-wtcc

Aloha717200

Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:49 pm

So...I am very confused by something. I am looking at flights for April through CDG, and what should I find but the A380 listed as operating a ight CDG-LAX on April 6.

Is this an error or have we heard anything about AF potentially bringing the A380 back after COVID?

To me that seems rather unlikely and I'm assuming this is in error.

mercure1

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:26 pm

Air France barely knows what it will operate in November, let alone April 2021.

Summer 2021 schedules are hardly finalized or loaded.
mercure f-wtcc

IWMBH

Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:27 pm

There’s no way that the A380 will return to service after Corona. Just old information.

Alsatian

Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 am

Airlines copy/paste their schedules for the upcoming season(s) in order to keep flights bookable and then gradually adjust the datas.

kaitak

Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Iemand91 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

Indeed it is. This is the end of 67 years of quad jets at Air France starting with the de Havilland DH.106 Comet in 1953.

It's even more significant than that, because even before the 707s, AF had been operating four engined aircraft; its first was the SE 161 Languedoc from 1946 (and the DC4 around the same time); so it's actually the first time since just after WW2 that AF has not had a four engined aircraft (it actually operated a six engined aircraft, the Latecoere from 1947 until the early 1950s). That's 74 years!

Apart from the Languedoc, the DC4 and DC6, it also operated the Constellation, Super Constellation and the Breguet Deux Ponts - an interesting two level short haul type.

So, the A340's retirement leaves it with twin engine aircraft only; it's quite a milestone!

ro1960

Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:03 am

kaitak wrote:
Iemand91 wrote:
FGITD wrote:

It's even more significant than that, because even before the 707s, AF had been operating four engined aircraft; its first was the SE 161 Languedoc from 1946 (and the DC4 around the same time); so it's actually the first time since just after WW2 that AF has not had a four engined aircraft (it actually operated a six engined aircraft, the Latecoere from 1947 until the early 1950s). That's 74 years!

Apart from the Languedoc, the DC4 and DC6, it also operated the Constellation, Super Constellation and the Breguet Deux Ponts - an interesting two level short haul type.

So, the A340's retirement leaves it with twin engine aircraft only; it's quite a milestone!

You forgot the Vickers Viscount!

AF also operated the DC8 and the CV990. Although seasonly leased they bore AF colors.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

FlyingHonu001

Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:04 pm

KL Fleet update: PH-AOE and PH-AOF to be repositioned to GAE for long term storage. 10x 737 to follow

hollywoodcory

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:02 pm

As of tomorrow KLM will have restored service to all 5 of its Canadian destinations, with YEG returning via a stop in YYC. I think they will be the first foreign carrier to do so.

inkjet7

Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:55 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
KL Fleet update: PH-AOE and PH-AOF to be repositioned to GAE for long term storage. 10x 737 to follow

That should be GRQ. PH-AOE and PH-BGC positioned AMS->GRQ Oct 28.

ro1960

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:29 pm

France: nationwide lockdown initially until December 1

President Macron said intra-European borders will remain open but it is unclear who will be allowed to travel.

mercure1

Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:47 pm

Group AFKL recorded in the third quarter a net loss of €1.66 billion, on a turnover having fallen by 68.3% compared to last year.
Winter capacity will be further reduced for the fall-winter season, to 35% of what was planned for Air France and 45% for KLM Royal Dutch Airlines due to the impact from the resurgence of Covid-19.

https://www.airfranceklm.com/en/finance ... ns/results
mercure f-wtcc

rjbesikof

Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:19 pm

ro1960 wrote:

President Macron said intra-European borders will remain open but it is unclear who will be allowed to travel.

What AF U.S. flights are getting the ax due to the lockdown?

ro1960

Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:12 am

rjbesikof wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

From AF website:
“Due to the closure of extra-European borders and ongoing travel restrictions, our flight schedule for next week is being updated.

At this stage, it is too early to assess the impact of these new measures on our flight schedule beyond this period. Further adjustments will be made over the next week.”

adambrau

Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:27 am

ro1960 wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
ro1960 wrote:

From AF website:
“Due to the closure of extra-European borders and ongoing travel restrictions, our flight schedule for next week is being updated.

At this stage, it is too early to assess the impact of these new measures on our flight schedule beyond this period. Further adjustments will be made over the next week.”

At JFK we are losing the following flights.

November 01 last AF14/23, indefinitely.

November 9th last AF10/11, to be replaced with a cargo flight not sure frequency.

AF6/7 to be sole sole passenger flight starting 10 Nov for at least a month.

December could see a return of a second daily flight.
JFK Friendly

Dutchy

Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:37 am

KLM rescue plan of 3,4bn Euro's has been put in doubt. One of the conditions of the Dutch government was that the employees took a pay-cut in order to have a viable airline in a few years. The government stipulated that the pay-cut needed to be for the duration of the loan, till 2025.
The Pilots union - VNV (agreed till beginning 2022) - and the FNV (agreed till beginning 2023) - labor union of the ground staff - refused to sign it. The other 6 unions agreed.

link in Dutch

So we will see if the government will grand the loan or not. The unions are playing poker with the future of the airline.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos