Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
MO11
Topic Author
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:29 pm

Global Crossing Airlines, yet another 36th Street airline, filed its initial applications with the DOT yesterday to begin domestic and foreign charters using A320s. The twist is that it intends to merge with Canada Jetlines, which would cause all Jetlines shareholders to become shareholders in the Global Crossing parent, and also facilitate sales of additional shares to cover start-up expenses.

The holding company's largest shareholder is Ed Wegel, founder of Eastern Airlines (Mk 737-800). Required management positions are being filled by "well seasoned" 36th Street veterans.

The full (domestic) application can be downloaded here:

https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=DOT-OST-2020-0041-0001&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf
 
fraT
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:32 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Could explain to me the meaning of 36th street airline/veterans?
 
afcjets
Posts: 3434
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:18 pm

fraT wrote:
Could explain to me the meaning of 36th street airline/veterans?

I am guessing all the airlines headquartered in MIA over the years, Eastern, Pan Am, National, etc. had their offices by the airport on 36th Street and that their upper management came from them.
 
bennett123
Posts: 9616
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:48 pm

Seems to be no overlap in personnel at the top.

Also Canada Jetlines shareholders will hold less than 49% of the new company.

I do wonder how much of the original Canada jetlines will remain.
 
CanesFan
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:49 pm

afcjets wrote:
fraT wrote:
Could explain to me the meaning of 36th street airline/veterans?

I am guessing all the airlines headquartered in MIA over the years, Eastern, Pan Am, National, etc. had their offices by the airport on 36th Street and that their upper management came from them.


Also some of the more colorful airlines such as Fine Air, Florida West, Miami Air, Sky King, etc...
 
n7371f
Posts: 1801
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:40 am

Good luck. 4-6 months living expectations.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:49 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Seems to be no overlap in personnel at the top.

Also Canada Jetlines shareholders will hold less than 49% of the new company.

I do wonder how much of the original Canada jetlines will remain.


My guess is none. Jetlines’ “business plans” never made any sense. Now to see them transform into a US “airline” is either sad or hilarious.
 
User avatar
novak500
Posts: 180
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:55 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Not another Canada Jetlines thread. This "airline" gets more attention on a.net than real airlines that actually have planes and sell tickets.
 
jimbo737
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:18 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:08 pm

So, they’d be US based, named Canada Jetlines, and be permitted to operate transborder, but not operate Canada domestic because of cabotage regulations ?

That’s an even dumber plan than their last one.
 
sixtyseven
Posts: 829
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:42 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:30 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
So, they’d be US based, named Canada Jetlines, and be permitted to operate transborder, but not operate Canada domestic because of cabotage regulations ?

That’s an even dumber plan than their last one.


LOL

Probably you’re best post ever. That was genuinely funny.
Stand-by for new ATIS message......
 
superjeff
Posts: 1347
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:18 pm

MO11 wrote:
Global Crossing Airlines, yet another 36th Street airline, filed its initial applications with the DOT yesterday to begin domestic and foreign charters using A320s. The twist is that it intends to merge with Canada Jetlines, which would cause all Jetlines shareholders to become shareholders in the Global Crossing parent, and also facilitate sales of additional shares to cover start-up expenses.

The holding company's largest shareholder is Ed Wegel, founder of Eastern Airlines (Mk 737-800). Required management positions are being filled by "well seasoned" 36th Street veterans.

The full (domestic) application can be downloaded here:

https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=DOT-OST-2020-0041-0001&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf


Ed Wegel was involved in the new incarnation of World Airways. Is he not still with that organization (which doesn't appear near to any operating certicate)?
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:28 am

And the Leafs will win the cup this year!!
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:53 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
So, they’d be US based, named Canada Jetlines, and be permitted to operate transborder, but not operate Canada domestic because of cabotage regulations ?

That’s an even dumber plan than their last one.


Lol they could even operate transatlantic out of Canada on 5th freedoms. MIA-YHU-BVA anyone?
 
debonair
Posts: 3770
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed May 20, 2020 10:34 pm

:alert: Take your breath guys, SMARTLYNX is back on board! OMG! :eyepopping:

https://www.globalairlinesgroup.com/news.html

A short reminder if you don't know what I am talking about:

https://www.jetlines.com/en/news/jetlin ... estigation
Last edited by debonair on Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
santi319
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 pm

The Canadian Avatar (Family) airlines
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 pm

It's not Canada and it's never gonna be Jetlines.
Delta Gold Medallion
 
User avatar
MKE22
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:58 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
So, they’d be US based, named Canada Jetlines, and be permitted to operate transborder, but not operate Canada domestic because of cabotage regulations ?

That’s an even dumber plan than their last one.


:lol: :lol: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3361
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 pm

CanesFan wrote:
afcjets wrote:
fraT wrote:
Could explain to me the meaning of 36th street airline/veterans?

I am guessing all the airlines headquartered in MIA over the years, Eastern, Pan Am, National, etc. had their offices by the airport on 36th Street and that their upper management came from them.


Also some of the more colorful airlines such as Fine Air, Florida West, Miami Air, Sky King, etc...


Interesting. Any airline still based there to date and any historic buildings which the airlines took up that you could note to us? Will defenitly consider giving it a visit once things calm down.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed May 20, 2020 11:54 pm

afcjets wrote:
fraT wrote:
Could explain to me the meaning of 36th street airline/veterans?

I am guessing all the airlines headquartered in MIA over the years, Eastern, Pan Am, National, etc. had their offices by the airport on 36th Street and that their upper management came from them.

If those are the Legacies of 36th Street? I would not advertise it! doesn't seem to be much happening.
 
User avatar
sunking737
Posts: 1599
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 12:24 am

Are they going to operate in Canada, or the US?? or both??
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 12:26 am

Whiteguy wrote:
And the Leafs will win the cup this year!!


Unless the restrictions on non-essential travel between the US and Canada are eased (as it stands right now, the restrictions are effective through June 21) AND the 14-day self-isolation/quarantine orders are lifted, then nobody will win the Stanley Cup this season. Considering that nearly half of the NHL's players are Canadian AND you have nearly 100 European players in the league, attempting to even staging training camps to restart the season is unlikely until mid-July at the earliest. Any extension of the Canadian restrictions due to COVID-19 will more than likely kill the season, optimism notwithstanding.

That said, I'd half expect Canada Jetlines to merge with Baltia at some point ... because why not?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
MO11
Topic Author
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 am

sunking737 wrote:
Are they going to operate in Canada, or the US?? or both??


GlobalX is a new entrant airline now in FAA certification using the Airbus A320 family aircraft. Subject to FAA and DOT approvals, GlobalX intends to fly as an ACMI and wet lease charter airline serving the US, Caribbean and Latin American markets.
 
User avatar
KLMatSJC
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 1:08 am

Whiteguy wrote:
And the Leafs will win the cup this year!!

That's exactly how I feel about this too!
A318/19/20/21/21N A332/3 A343/5 A388 B712 B722 B732/3/4/7/8/9/9ER B744/4M B752/3 B762ER/3/3ER/4ER B772/E/L/W B788 CRJ2/7/9 Q400 EMB-120 ERJ-135/140/145/145XR/175 DC-10-10 MD-82/83/88/90

Long Live the Tulip, Cactus, and Redwood
 
Metjetceo
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 1:18 am

I would agree with what you guys say, but check out the investors. 3 Investment Capital groups that seem to be legit.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 am

MO11 wrote:
sunking737 wrote:
Are they going to operate in Canada, or the US?? or both??


GlobalX is a new entrant airline now in FAA certification using the Airbus A320 family aircraft. Subject to FAA and DOT approvals, GlobalX intends to fly as an ACMI and wet lease charter airline serving the US, Caribbean and Latin American markets.


Now launching an ACMI charter airline in the US makes a bit more sense. The Jetlines linkage though is still beyond perplexing, especially given zero reference to any transborder charter ops.
 
CaptainObvious1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:22 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 2:09 am

Whiteguy wrote:
And the Leafs will win the cup this year!!


LOL, Maybe their first flight number will be 1967.


For those who don't know NHL, 1967 was the last time the Leafs won the cup.
It was also the last year of the "Original 6 Era", the following year they added 6 additional teams bringing the NHL to 12 teams.
To put this in perspective the Leafs have players who not born, but also their parents were not born the last time they won the Cup.
 
Whiteguy
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:11 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 2:44 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
And the Leafs will win the cup this year!!


Unless the restrictions on non-essential travel between the US and Canada are eased (as it stands right now, the restrictions are effective through June 21) AND the 14-day self-isolation/quarantine orders are lifted, then nobody will win the Stanley Cup this season. Considering that nearly half of the NHL's players are Canadian :roll: AND you have nearly 100 European players in the league, attempting to even staging training camps to restart the season is unlikely until mid-July at the earliest. Any extension of the Canadian restrictions due to COVID-19 will more than likely kill the season, optimism notwithstanding.

That said, I'd half expect Canada Jetlines to merge with Baltia at some point ... because why not?


LOL, thanks for the explanation..... :lol: :roll:
 
User avatar
spinkid
Posts: 1893
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2001 5:59 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 3:25 am

I do recall reading a while back that they were having such trouble starting up in Canada they were going to flip flop themselves. They want to operate an Allegiant model ULCC low frequency.

In terms of 36th St. Airline, I'm thinking hat refers to some of the carriers based there for a blink and you miss it length of time. Most recent Eastern, Dynamic, Swift, National 3 or 4 or 8.0??, some of those types of names come to mind. based there or not.

They are only allowed to own 49% as a foreign owner. The 5th freedom is actually kinda interesting. Some of the Norwegian routes that were flown or scheduled people would have said impossible so maybe we will see FLL-Halifax-Dublin, they could even flounder and try all kinds of things like FLL-SWF-Hamilton-Dublin or just back to SWF-FLL. I should probably stick to my virtual airlines.. lol
 
debonair
Posts: 3770
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 pm

Metjetceo wrote:
I would agree with what you guys say, but check out the investors. 3 Investment Capital groups that seem to be legit.


Maybe, this is my own opinion, Jetlines nor GlobalX weren't able to pay back the investment to SmartLynx after they pulled out. Instead, GlobalX changed the debt into a "comprehensive commercial agreement"?! Who knows?!
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13022
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 pm

Are we looking at rich people trying to become less rich ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
catiii
Posts: 3515
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu May 21, 2020 7:52 pm

MO11 wrote:

The holding company's largest shareholder is Ed Wegel, founder of Eastern Airlines (Mk 737-800). Required management positions are being filled by "well seasoned" 36th Street veterans.


Oh so then a sterling track record of success.
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 1072
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 am

Whiteguy wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
And the Leafs will win the cup this year!!


Unless the restrictions on non-essential travel between the US and Canada are eased (as it stands right now, the restrictions are effective through June 21) AND the 14-day self-isolation/quarantine orders are lifted, then nobody will win the Stanley Cup this season. Considering that nearly half of the NHL's players are Canadian :roll: AND you have nearly 100 European players in the league, attempting to even staging training camps to restart the season is unlikely until mid-July at the earliest. Any extension of the Canadian restrictions due to COVID-19 will more than likely kill the season, optimism notwithstanding.

That said, I'd half expect Canada Jetlines to merge with Baltia at some point ... because why not?


LOL, thanks for the explanation..... :lol: :roll:


I didn't insert that eye roll in my original reply, so I don't know if it was a tech glitch or what. But that emoji wasn't showing up on my end... weird.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Now that Global Crossing has acquired the CAD$2 million that Jetlines had in the bank, they have now reached an agreement with ACY to operate a ‘northern base’ from there and might possibly build a maintenance hangar.

According to an email I received from them a few minutes ago (PR will probably be out later today), they plan on operating charters into ACY from YUL & YYZ and various unnamed US points.

This thing actually has a far greater chance of getting off the ground than Jetlines ever did.
 
CFWAD
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:09 pm

To be fair, Jetlines was pumping out arbitrary airport agreements with every airport authority imaginable. Everything from Vancouver to St.Hubert to Dominican Republic. This is the company that, at the start back in 2014, envisioned flying an A319 from Fort. St. John to Abbotsford, haha.

You have to give Family/Avitar credit for at least sticking with their fleet plans. Between this and their previous iterations, I think "GlobalX" and/or Canada Jetlines has gone from being a A319 operator circa 2014 to actually signing LOA for 737-7Max, then to 737-800s and then to A320s just prior to SmartLynx pulling the funding. Not too mention 3 liveries and at least 4-5 President/CEOs.

Flair might not be perfect - but at least they are operational.

And Enerjet's new iteration at least has metal, albeit on hold due to the Max groundings.

As for ACY - WS gave that a shot many years ago. I don't believe AC has ever touched it and the fact TS, WG and PD have never bothered shows the lack of enthusiasm. I am not from Eastern Canada but how many people from the YYZ/YUL area really want to spend their summers in an Atlantic City casino vs. cottage country? And as for winters? I would think people from Toronto would rather spend the extra flight time doing LAS for warmer weather than ACY.
CaVOK
A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2782
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Canada Jetlines moves to Miami

Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:13 pm

CFWAD wrote:
To be fair, Jetlines was pumping out arbitrary airport agreements with every airport authority imaginable. Everything from Vancouver to St.Hubert to Dominican Republic. This is the company that, at the start back in 2014, envisioned flying an A319 from Fort. St. John to Abbotsford, haha.

You have to give Family/Avitar credit for at least sticking with their fleet plans. Between this and their previous iterations, I think "GlobalX" and/or Canada Jetlines has gone from being a A319 operator circa 2014 to actually signing LOA for 737-7Max, then to 737-800s and then to A320s just prior to SmartLynx pulling the funding. Not too mention 3 liveries and at least 4-5 President/CEOs.

Flair might not be perfect - but at least they are operational.

And Enerjet's new iteration at least has metal, albeit on hold due to the Max groundings.

As for ACY - WS gave that a shot many years ago. I don't believe AC has ever touched it and the fact TS, WG and PD have never bothered shows the lack of enthusiasm. I am not from Eastern Canada but how many people from the YYZ/YUL area really want to spend their summers in an Atlantic City casino vs. cottage country? And as for winters? I would think people from Toronto would rather spend the extra flight time doing LAS for warmer weather than ACY.


ACY is probably a spring/fall spot. I could see ad-hoc charters working like the old Casino Express used to do. ACY is within a day's drive of Toronto/Ottawa/Montreal, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 747d10, axio, Baidu [Spider], davidjohnson6, debonair, dk44, DNDTUF, EA CO AS, eamondzhang, Google Adsense [Bot], Jack, JCK98, Jonne1184, njeinaz, Number6, proest, runway24r, skipness1E, Someone83, SRGVA67, vhqpa, Williamsb747, Wingtips56 and 418 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos