Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cubsrule

Re: OAG Changes 4/12/2020: VB Adds MTY-SAT;UA Adds MEI/PIB;F9 Adds MIA-RDU; 1000s of Routes Are Suspended

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:05 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
*DL LGA-YHZ JUN 0.8>0.0[1.0] JUL 1.0>0[0.9] AUG 1.0>0[1.0]

This is a seasonal route. Looks like DL are skipping 2020 outright and will probably be back for summer 2021.

I expect we’re ultimately going to see a fair number of summer seasonal routes skip 2020. (KL AMS-AUS, which now has a published start date in May 2021 is another.). That makes a certain amount of sense, as there seems to be broad agreement that things will look much more not al a year from now.

Yeah definitely. All the new seasonal adds from the likes of DE and LH are already pulled for 2020, including the AC to LH metal swap of the May-October seasonal YOW-FRA route. LH pulled it entirely before ever operating a single flight to YOW. Here’s hoping they load it for summer 2021...too soon to tell as LH’s schedule doesn’t have May 2021 available for bookings yet.

What equipment was LH planning on YOW-FRA? I figure most routes that were to be daily on anything larger than the smallest airplane in the fleet that can serve the route will wind up with some level of service.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

flyboy7974

Re: OAG Changes 4/12/2020: VB Adds MTY-SAT;UA Adds MEI/PIB;F9 Adds MIA-RDU; 1000s of Routes Are Suspended

Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Chuska wrote:
The OO/AA* service to MEI, PIB, and CYS are the only routes from DFW where OO operates CRJ-200's. CYS has already been cut, dont know if this has anything to do with letting MEI and PIB go as well. I sure would like to see MEI go to DL* as DL was the original carrier that served MEI from ATL and DFW during regulation days. Southern Airways was at MEI too (as well as PIB) and now they're part of DL too.

Who operates the DFWSGU flight on the Cr2? Is that SkyWest, or was it Skywest before Covid reductions?

dfw88

Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Cheyenne has performed poorly and the decision to discontinue was made in January. The discontinuation date was moved forward due to COVID.

Where were you getting a discontinue date from? CYS was originally loaded through September and those schedules were released in Feb so that would tend to disagree with the decision to cut it in January.

Agreed - it was always loaded through summer, and at 2x daily again even. And the city reduced the MRG with OO in the fall, indicating the route was probably performing fairly well.

Now, if the route was suffering more during the winter months, that absolutely makes sense.

I just checked the schedules and other than the blip at the beginning of the summer it's still loaded through next February. Had it been cut in January I think it would've been pulled by now.

slcdeltarumd11

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:03 pm

chonetsao wrote:
Thank you for the update.

Has AA cut its international, especially European schedule too fast and too deep? I mean the cut is all the way to September. Wouldn't it be smarter to cut one month at a time in case of unexpected surge after the travel ban?

No I think it's just a different strategy to deal with a dumpster fire.

They all know summer demand is 100% toast to Europe there won't be a vaccine. AA is just making a bigger fire sooner and dealing with it once. Other airlines are trying to drag it out so they have less of a surge. Either is just tough for everyone. Don't worry DL and UA plan to cut just as much they are just tying to deal with cancellations and rebookings and handling retiring and parking planes differently. I rarely think AA does much that make sense but having a larger fire and getting the flames out sooner makes some sense to me.

There won't be a summer or fall surge without a vaccine and it would be easy for them add one or two additional LHR from a hub turn if demand picks up. They can connect to anywhere in Europe with BA. Hubs will be more important than ever as demand and routes will be impossible to predict.

Chuska

Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:49 pm

CYS-DFW is still in the AA system from Jun 4 indefinitley but only once per day. Since the city just built a new terminal, a rather large terminal at that, seems like CYS would keep working at keeping air service.

enilria
Topic Author

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:04 pm

afcjets wrote:
enilria wrote:
Yes, that one nearly killed me. I didn't even have the energy to make comments by the time I got to WN.

Have you looked into a way to automate this? I had no idea you typed it manually, that must take hours.

NWAESC wrote:
Same here. I thought he was cut-n-pasting his work from Excel.

No I don't type it manually! But there's a lot of Excel.

enilria
Topic Author

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:06 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

Has AA cut its international, especially European schedule too fast and too deep? I mean the cut is all the way to September. Wouldn't it be smarter to cut one month at a time in case of unexpected surge after the travel ban?

They all know summer demand is 100% toast to Europe there won't be a vaccine. AA is just making a bigger fire sooner and dealing with it once. Other airlines are trying to drag it out so they have less of a surge. Either is just tough for everyone. Don't worry DL and UA plan to cut just as much they are just tying to deal with cancellations and rebookings and handling retiring and parking planes differently. I rarely think AA does much that make sense but having a larger fire and getting the flames out sooner makes some sense to me.

There won't be a summer or fall surge without a vaccine and it would be easy for them add one or two additional LHR from a hub turn if demand picks up. They can connect to anywhere in Europe with BA. Hubs will be more important than ever as demand and routes will be impossible to predict.

That's probably true. OTOH, DL is taking people's money (few of them?) for flights to Europe and will have to issue refunds to them which costs staff labor, but they do get to hold the money for a few months.

LAXdude1023

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:18 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

There wont be a vaccine until 2021, but we wont be grounded that long.

Two things will be the drivers to people getting back out and flying:
1) Widespread tests and antibody tests. When anybody can get a test for any reason and people can know for certainty if they have had it.
2) Effective treatment. The only difference between a virus being a serial killer and an annoyance is being able to control it. Many moons ago, cutting your finger on the wrong thing meant death. Now, we dont think twice about it. If we can get effective treatments in the way of drugs or antibody exchange, it will go a long way to returning to normal.

There is also the concept of herd immunity. That will take longer than a vaccine though.

The biggest thing is getting drugs to treat it.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

knope2001

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:59 pm

enilria wrote:
Yes, that one nearly killed me. I didn't even have the energy to make comments by the time I got to WN.

Wow -- I figured it was a bunch of work to pull this together but that you have to *type* so much increases my appreciation exponentially. How do you not have bunches of typos?!?

kiowa

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:10 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
Interesting for WN is how many cuts they show for June when it doesn’t appear that way for many of the others.

It seems the other airlines cut flights sooner. It will be interesting to see what the best strategy was in retrospect.

CIDFlyer

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:29 am

Wow DSM, CID, MSN, FSD, ATW, SBN lose all ATL flights from DL. OMA and CID lose all
DTW flights. Understandable but still hurts to see it. Surprised MLI keeps ATL and DTW but loses MSP

MIflyer12

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 am

CIDFlyer wrote:
Wow DSM, CID, MSN, FSD, ATW, SBN lose all ATL flights from DL. OMA and CID lose all
DTW flights. Understandable but still hurts to see it. Surprised MLI keeps ATL and DTW but loses MSP

CARES Act requires grant-receiving carriers to keep destinations but not routes. (Let's see which carriers file for how many exemptions, and what requests are rejected.) Most of those airports you mention will have plenty of connectivity thru their closest DL hubs, MSP or DTW. Domestically, it looks like 'Long and thin' is going to be 'quick and dead' for a while.

KLASM83

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:33 am

A tough read, but thanks for your work. Wow that's a lot of cuts.
"The goodness of the true pun is in the direct ratio of its intolerability" -Edgar Allan Poe

Don't you want to hang out and waste your life with us?

aemoreira1981

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:57 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
Are your fingers bleeding enilria? Have you been typing since Wednesday? I can't even begin to imagine how long this took you to do. Thank you very much. Happy Easter. Have a cocktail on me, you deserve it.

There is so much to digest, the common denominator seems to be that the majors will funnel most traffic into their main hubs and move people from there albeit with less planes and frequency.

One thing that stood out was TP and BR. They don't seem to be reducing very much. They must love to lose money or have a crystal ball and think that service will return to normal in a month or so and are looking to gain market share.

TP lists all North and South American service as suspended until at least May 17 now. IMO, they should only resume EWR (from LIS), YYZ, and BOS, all on the A21N, and MIA on the A339, and suspend EWR (from OPO), JFK, ORD, and SFO for S20. (TAP will soon have 6 internationally-configured A321neo, allowing them to use 1 frame apiece and 1 to TLV.) Right now, those 3 could be narrow-bodies daily, with 1 as a spare. (BEL could go on the A21N as well when it resumes.) Frankly, given that TAP didn't serve BOS from 1985 until 2016, the only think that could justify its return is B6 feed (and use of a B6 gate).

As for BR, I agree that JFK should go down to 2x-3x weekly if flown at all. Cargo can be exchanged at SFO or LAX onto UA, which operates wide-bodies to EWR.

On TLV, I notice that DL hasn't decided what it will do, but UA has to be the king on that route as it can carry all sorts of belly cargo, including refrigerated belly cargo, on EWR-TLV (and SFO-TLV). UA is also the airline for repatriation to Israel at this time, but belly cargo can definitely support the route.

As for American's DFW to TLV and SEA to BLR routes, I'd be surprised if either gets off the ground until at least S21.

dfw88

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:32 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
As for American's DFW to TLV and SEA to BLR routes, I'd be surprised if either gets off the ground until at least S21.

AA announced that both will start (assuming they start) in fall of 2021, so yea...

hiflyeras

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:55 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Excellent post. Things might pick up just a tad in the summer or fall but it would be a small addition to flying and easy to manage. Airlines need to watch bookings and make a guess a couple of months out whether or not to up the flying. If they do, then comes early January and it all peters out again...then maybe up a tad for spring break? The earliest we might see substantial travel return could be May and summer 2021 but even then not to the levels of pre-Covid. This will likely take years. :(

Boof02671

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:10 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
piedmontf284000 wrote:
Are your fingers bleeding enilria? Have you been typing since Wednesday? I can't even begin to imagine how long this took you to do. Thank you very much. Happy Easter. Have a cocktail on me, you deserve it.

There is so much to digest, the common denominator seems to be that the majors will funnel most traffic into their main hubs and move people from there albeit with less planes and frequency.

One thing that stood out was TP and BR. They don't seem to be reducing very much. They must love to lose money or have a crystal ball and think that service will return to normal in a month or so and are looking to gain market share.

TP lists all North and South American service as suspended until at least May 17 now. IMO, they should only resume EWR (from LIS), YYZ, and BOS, all on the A21N, and MIA on the A339, and suspend EWR (from OPO), JFK, ORD, and SFO for S20. (TAP will soon have 6 internationally-configured A321neo, allowing them to use 1 frame apiece and 1 to TLV.) Right now, those 3 could be narrow-bodies daily, with 1 as a spare. (BEL could go on the A21N as well when it resumes.) Frankly, given that TAP didn't serve BOS from 1985 until 2016, the only think that could justify its return is B6 feed (and use of a B6 gate).

As for BR, I agree that JFK should go down to 2x-3x weekly if flown at all. Cargo can be exchanged at SFO or LAX onto UA, which operates wide-bodies to EWR.

On TLV, I notice that DL hasn't decided what it will do, but UA has to be the king on that route as it can carry all sorts of belly cargo, including refrigerated belly cargo, on EWR-TLV (and SFO-TLV). UA is also the airline for repatriation to Israel at this time, but belly cargo can definitely support the route.

El Al is operating repatriation flights, haven’t seen UA

LAXdude1023

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:43 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Excellent post. Things might pick up just a tad in the summer or fall but it would be a small addition to flying and easy to manage. Airlines need to watch bookings and make a guess a couple of months out whether or not to up the flying. If they do, then comes early January and it all peters out again...then maybe up a tad for spring break? The earliest we might see substantial travel return could be May and summer 2021 but even then not to the levels of pre-Covid. This will likely take years. :(

It all depends on when an effective treatment comes out en mass. It’s at that point we can officially start recovery. That could be in May or it could be in 2021. We don’t know. A vaccine won’t be until 2021 for sure.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Dominion301

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:51 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

I expect we’re ultimately going to see a fair number of summer seasonal routes skip 2020. (KL AMS-AUS, which now has a published start date in May 2021 is another.). That makes a certain amount of sense, as there seems to be broad agreement that things will look much more not al a year from now.

Yeah definitely. All the new seasonal adds from the likes of DE and LH are already pulled for 2020, including the AC to LH metal swap of the May-October seasonal YOW-FRA route. LH pulled it entirely before ever operating a single flight to YOW. Here’s hoping they load it for summer 2021...too soon to tell as LH’s schedule doesn’t have May 2021 available for bookings yet.

What equipment was LH planning on YOW-FRA? I figure most routes that were to be daily on anything larger than the smallest airplane in the fleet that can serve the route will wind up with some level of service.

It was going to be 5x weekly 343 service. It used to be daily 763 on AC. Despite the differences in frequency, the difference in capacity was negligible due to the difference in gauge size. I think this was metal swapped to LH due to aircraft shortages at AC. Now that AC are probably going to have a surplus of aircraft when all is said and done, I would not be surprised to see this swap back to AC on a smaller 788.

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:06 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
It all depends on when an effective treatment comes out en mass. It’s at that point we can officially start recovery. That could be in May or it could be in 2021. We don’t know. A vaccine won’t be until 2021 for sure.

Per the WHO, there are 70 different vaccines in development, with 3 being the most promising so far. But it won't take a vaccine to kickstart demand; all that's needed is an effective treatment strategy, and that's coming along much more quickly. People are fed-up with being cooped up and want to get back out and work, travel, see friends, etc.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

alasizon

Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:18 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Per the WHO, there are 70 different vaccines in development, with 3 being the most promising so far. But it won't take a vaccine to kickstart demand; all that's needed is an effective treatment strategy, and that's coming along much more quickly. People are fed-up with being cooped up and want to get back out and work, travel, see friends, etc.

Anecdotally, people seem to be more comfortable travelling this week since the revised CDC guidance on masks came out.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

NWAESC

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm

How so? Are you seeing an uptick in flights you’re working? Some other indicator? Just curious is all.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:05 pm

alasizon wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Anecdotally, people seem to be more comfortable travelling this week since the revised CDC guidance on masks came out.

They do report how many people have cleared security each week Nationwide . That has not had a really large uptick from last I saw. Only thing I've heard is alot more crew members are dead heading on flights with so many cancellations. Huge Increase in dead heading so you are seeing alot more crew on flights but passengers I haven't heard much.

Couldn't that be all of the cancellation and consolidation of flights we are starting to see. The airlines are not flying zero passengers flights anymore they are consolidating much better so that has to be putting more people on each flight but there are so many less of them.

NWAESC

Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:22 pm

Alasizon mentioned his own experience; I was just curious what they were seeing.

durangomac

Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:41 am

hiflyeras wrote:
Bingo1 wrote:
AS OMA-SEA MAY 1.4>2[1.0

Is that a misfile?

Looking at the cuts and is LGA-ORD the deepest listed? Down from 13-1.

I'm seeing mutliple mistakes in the AS file. They're not operating more than 1x daily to pretty much any city they serve except a few exceptions.

I can't remember for sure but I thought that OMA-SEA had gone mainline, so did the route swap back to E175 and get two a day instead?

I suspect that will be the case on several of those.

alasizon

Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:02 am

NWAESC wrote:
How so? Are you seeing an uptick in flights you’re working? Some other indicator? Just curious is all.

It's mostly remarks from passengers and a decrease in no-shows which were obviously sky high. Loads are also up on intra-region flights from what I've seen.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

NWAESC

Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks. At this point, any kind of green shoots are good news!

MIflyer12

Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
They do report how many people have cleared security each week Nationwide . That has not had a really large uptick from last I saw. Only thing I've heard is alot more crew members are dead heading on flights with so many cancellations. Huge Increase in dead heading so you are seeing alot more crew on flights but passengers I haven't heard much.

Some screening counts get reported daily. There has been no general uptick. And of course the screening numbers include flight crew and concession/restaurant employees beyond security so the rev passenger number flying is even smaller.

On Sunday, its officers screened 90,510 people, compared to more than 2.4 million on the same day in 2019. That’s a 96% drop from last year’s traffic.

Those numbers have fallen week-by-week. TSA began March screening just above last year’s travelers, but on the last day of the month, the agency screened about 6% of the equivalent day in 2019.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news ... c87af6db38

twaconnie

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 pm

enilria wrote:
afcjets wrote:
enilria wrote:

Have you looked into a way to automate this? I had no idea you typed it manually, that must take hours.

NWAESC wrote:

I think at this point in time it might be easier to just list the flights that are operating,thanks for all your work.

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:35 pm

knope2001 wrote:
enilria wrote:

Wow -- I figured it was a bunch of work to pull this together but that you have to *type* so much increases my appreciation exponentially. How do you not have bunches of typos?!?

It's not typed. But the Excel part is painful and time-consuming...

enilria
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:35 pm

twaconnie wrote:
enilria wrote:
afcjets wrote:

NWAESC wrote:

I think at this point in time it might be easier to just list the flights that are operating,thanks for all your work.

I've had that thought already!

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:51 pm

Your report is going to be a mess on the other side of this as you show the YOY changes.
People will be like "OMG look at the HUGE increase they are adding like 5 flights over last year!!!!!"

What's even crazier is that there is the schedule they are actually loading and of sale in April & May versus what they are actually flying, which is being trimmed another 30-40% as close-in cancellations.

Miamiairport

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:09 pm

I've been traveling and see no uptick in paxs. Take away crew and the airplanes would really, really be empty. At least for AA I think some of the flights are used to transport crew that get stranded when flights are cancelled. Flying has become a real game with cancellations popping up left and right. On Saturday I was at MIA working on my laptop at one of the gates when I realized no one was around. No one walking by. Anyone that knows MIA Concourse D would know how surreal that experience is. Normally there's pax around 24 hours a day (TSA is open 24 hours a day).

Walking by the AC at MIA that day one of the staff that I know had walked out to get some fresh air. Normally a very happy person he looked and sounded stressed. The lack of paxs must be a toll on customer interfacing workers wondering what the future will be. While my work has slowed down some I'm still fairly busy but I can't imagine if I was sitting around with little to do. Therefore stressing about when the paychecks would end.

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:27 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Your report is going to be a mess on the other side of this as you show the YOY changes.
People will be like "OMG look at the HUGE increase they are adding like 5 flights over last year!!!!!"

What's even crazier is that there is the schedule they are actually loading and of sale in April & May versus what they are actually flying, which is being trimmed another 30-40% as close-in cancellations.

Yeah, it's a total s***show. At least in April 2021 we will definitely have growth!
Miamiairport wrote:
I've been traveling and see no uptick in paxs. Take away crew and the airplanes would really, really be empty. At least for AA I think some of the flights are used to transport crew that get stranded when flights are cancelled. Flying has become a real game with cancellations popping up left and right. On Saturday I was at MIA working on my laptop at one of the gates when I realized no one was around. No one walking by. Anyone that knows MIA Concourse D would know how surreal that experience is. Normally there's pax around 24 hours a day (TSA is open 24 hours a day).

Walking by the AC at MIA that day one of the staff that I know had walked out to get some fresh air. Normally a very happy person he looked and sounded stressed. The lack of paxs must be a toll on customer interfacing workers wondering what the future will be. While my work has slowed down some I'm still fairly busy but I can't imagine if I was sitting around with little to do. Therefore stressing about when the paychecks would end.

The numbers are worsening. It won't turn until the Governors remove shelter in place.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos