Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
720B
Topic Author
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 am

Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:19 pm

As per San Chui's website, an Air France Airbus A330-200 is grounded at Agostinho-Neto International Airport, Point-Noire, Congo after being involved in a shooting.

The aircraft with registration F-GZCK is left with bullet holes in the fuselage after firearms were used against the aircraft during landing at PNR on April 11th. Aircraft was supposed to repatriate French nationals.

https://samchui.com/2020/04/12/air-fran ... pMVAchKiUl
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15126
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:43 pm

Likely there are a small number of persons with extreme political stupidity that did this. I hope they are found and given harsh 'justice'. This means even more people will have to be involved with these evacuation flights from certain politically hot areas for security to prevent another incident like this. Even an inspection on the ground will be difficult of the grounded airplane, given the security risks.
 
asuflyer
Posts: 542
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Apparently some police officers fired at the aircraft because they believed that the aircraft was bringing the coronavirus to the Congo.

Image

https://sacer-infos.com/pnoire-des-gend ... -au-congo/
 
cedarjet
Posts: 8789
Joined: Mon May 24, 1999 1:12 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:34 pm

I remember back in December 2000 a Sabena A330 was shot at while on finals to land at Bujumbura (capital of Burundi). One passenger and one flight attendant were injured. 13 holes in the plane.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz
 
raylee67
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:58 pm

asuflyer wrote:
Apparently some police officers fired at the aircraft because they believed that the aircraft was bringing the coronavirus to the Congo.


The plane was going to fly in and fly out immediately. Now the plane "that is bringing the coronavirus" is going to be there and the Congolese is going to stuck with the plane!
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS
 
fa4af
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2001 11:42 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:37 pm

Here is a link to the site in French only sorry..
https://www.facebook.com/10522503449172 ... 861757851/

Apparently two policemen were having an argument and they were both intoxicated and ended up shooting at each other and aiming at the aircraft...
At this stage nothing prooves the intended target was either this aircraft, AF in general or even foreigners bringing in COVID to PNR

A B777-200ER, F-GSPG is flying there today, and they are flying back on this aircraft for the "scheduled" (nothing really scheduled or normal lately in our roosters..) flight back to CDG tomorrow April 13th via BGF

stay safe everyone
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:41 pm

raylee67 wrote:
asuflyer wrote:
Apparently some police officers fired at the aircraft because they believed that the aircraft was bringing the coronavirus to the Congo.


The plane was going to fly in and fly out immediately. Now the plane "that is bringing the coronavirus" is going to be there and the Congolese is going to stuck with the plane!


These police officers are some real geniuses. :roll:

To be fair though, Congo has struggled with Ebola for many years now, and the disease was finally nearly beaten. I do understand why they would be worried about COVID-19 getting a foothold in Congo as well.

Hopefully the bullet holes are an easy fix.
 
889091
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:02 pm

 
raylee67
Posts: 857
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:19 pm

JetBuddy wrote:

To be fair though, Congo has struggled with Ebola for many years now, and the disease was finally nearly beaten. I do understand why they would be worried about COVID-19 getting a foothold in Congo as well.


Well, but the Congo that is struggling with Ebola is "Democratic Republic of Congo" (i.e. Congo-Kinshasa), not "Republic of Congo" (i.e. Congo-Brazzaville), which is where this shooting takes place. That's a wrong Congo.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS
 
debonair
Posts: 3778
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:27 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
These police officers are some real geniuses. :roll:


Maybe they will find a new job in Guayaquil... :duck:
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7243
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:38 pm

Here i am thinking some AF guys saw an LH plane over France...
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
lhrnue
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Protect the glidepath, send the police ….. hang on .. maybe not
 
bennett123
Posts: 9629
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:52 pm

If thy do not have the spares or security is an issue, could they fly unpressurised to a more secure location.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 5657
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:37 pm

I was there once, taken away at gunpoint to arrange payments to services rendered—lights, VOR, ILS, landing, parking, ground handling, etc. Delivered to the tower, it was explained to me SNPC wasn’t trusted to pay, so I’d have guarantee payment through my company. They dictated each charge, the amount, signed it. They fax’s it somewhere and a bit later I was returned to my plane. Rapidly departed for Douala.
 
User avatar
kjeld0d
Posts: 505
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:00 pm

Replacement aircraft is a 777-200. I would imagine their insurance reminded them not to send anything new.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:57 am

kjeld0d wrote:
Replacement aircraft is a 777-200. I would imagine their insurance reminded them not to send anything new.

To be fair the A332 isn't new either - it's 17 years old already!

Michael
 
User avatar
ClipperYankee
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:47 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I was there once, taken away at gunpoint to arrange payments to services rendered—lights, VOR, ILS, landing, parking, ground handling, etc. Delivered to the tower, it was explained to me SNPC wasn’t trusted to pay, so I’d have guarantee payment through my company. They dictated each charge, the amount, signed it. They fax’s it somewhere and a bit later I was returned to my plane. Rapidly departed for Douala.


Do you recall roughly how much the total payment was? Just out of curiosity.
707/717/727/737-100,200,300,400,500,700,800/747-200,300,400/757-200,300/767-300,400
772/788&9/DC3/DC6/DC8/DC9/DC10/MD80s/L1011/A300/A319,320,321/A332&3/A343/A359/A388/
BAE146/ATP/ATR42/DHC2,3,7,8/S340B/CRJ200,700,900/E140,145,175,190/F70,100/B1900
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 13041
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:03 am

I was asked if I was OK to go there a couple years ago for work, at first I said yes, then I did some research...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams
 
vinniewinnie
Posts: 728
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Aesma wrote:
I was asked if I was OK to go there a couple years ago for work, at first I said yes, then I did some research...


It’s perfectly ok to work anywhere in Africa outside war zones just don’t expect things to be like home.

This is an isolated and unfortunate incident serious yeah but cannot judge a county like that. It’s the same way that any normal person would not judge the US by the stories on gun violence!
 
vinniewinnie
Posts: 728
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:23 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:28 pm

vinniewinnie wrote:
Aesma wrote:
I was asked if I was OK to go there a couple years ago for work, at first I said yes, then I did some research...


It’s perfectly ok to work anywhere in Africa outside war zones just don’t expect things to be like home.

This is an isolated and unfortunate incident serious yeah but cannot judge a county like that. It’s the same way that any normal person would not judge not avoid the US due the stories on gun violence!
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 11648
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:00 pm

The wording of the headline is brilliant: "Air France A330 involved in a shooting"

You made an inept object look like a human and at the same time made the "victim" look like the perpetrator. :lol:
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
JetBuddy
Posts: 2567
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:04 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:56 pm

raylee67 wrote:
JetBuddy wrote:

To be fair though, Congo has struggled with Ebola for many years now, and the disease was finally nearly beaten. I do understand why they would be worried about COVID-19 getting a foothold in Congo as well.


Well, but the Congo that is struggling with Ebola is "Democratic Republic of Congo" (i.e. Congo-Kinshasa), not "Republic of Congo" (i.e. Congo-Brazzaville), which is where this shooting takes place. That's a wrong Congo.


Right okay. It was easier back when they were just called Zaire.
 
F27500
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:53 pm

.. The police .. shooting at the plane. Classy place.
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 2984
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:56 pm

 
mxaxai
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:20 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

Great to see duct tape at work!

Dutchy wrote:
The wording of the headline is brilliant: "Air France A330 involved in a shooting"

You made an inept object look like a human and at the same time made the "victim" look like the perpetrator. :lol:

Perhaps AF mounted a few .50 cals in the A330's nose. Just in case it finds itself ambushed by a competitor's jet or has to do some CAS to defend the airport perimeter.
 
ILNFlyer
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:34 pm

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:07 pm

Before you know it, the pilots will be sitting in bathtubs made of kevlar.
 
QueenoftheSkies
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:48 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:29 am

F27500 wrote:
.. The police .. shooting at the plane. Classy place.


Consider the looking thus took place. Not exactly surprising.
 
User avatar
Antaras
Posts: 703
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:59 am

Air France A330 involved in a shooting

The fanciest tite I have ever seen. Well done.
===============================
Did that police officer playing GTA too much and he thought that he can easily shot down an A330 by a rifle? :confused: :roll:
Edit signature
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
 
Boeingphan
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:29 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:48 pm

So the bullets didn't affect the pressurization? I see it climbed immediately out to 40k feet.
 
trex8
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:04 am

Re: Air France A330 involved in a shooting

Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:14 am

Boeingphan wrote:
So the bullets didn't affect the pressurization? I see it climbed immediately out to 40k feet.

Seems it didn't penetrate an inner layer? Or duct tape fixed it!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos