Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blacksoviet
Topic Author

JFK Terminal 2 Final Flight

Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:56 pm

Does anybody know what gate and destination the final flight had? What about the equipment?

Will this terminal ever be used again before it is finally demolished? Delta took over the entire terminal after they merged with Northeast and Northwest. I wonder if the Jitney buses will be reused after Terminal 4 is expanded.

Does anybody have pictures of the final flight? Were the passengers even told that this was a historic flight?

In 2013, Delta had a small ceremony at Gate 6 for the final flight of Terminal 3.
Last edited by blacksoviet on Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

KFTG

Re: JFK Terminal 2 Final Flight

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 am

Highly unlikely it will ever be used again. It should be demo'd promptly.

alfa164

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:59 am

KFTG wrote:
Highly unlikely it will ever be used again. It should be demo'd promptly.

Unlike T3, it will not be missed.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

e38

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 am

Actually I’ll miss it a lot.

As far as I know, it’s the last remaining terminal of JFK’s original terminal buildings (built in 1962, I think) and I still remember when travelers referred to it as the “Braniff, Northwest, Northeast terminal.”

I have flown out of Terminal 2 quite a bit over the past few years and haven’t really had a problem with it. Granted, not a lot of food choices (still get a good cup of coffee at WorldBean next to Gate C-66, however) and occasionally a little crowded—quite a few terminals have the same issues; they’re not unique to Terminal 2—but personally, there’s quite a bit of history to Terminal 2 that I will miss when it’s gone.

e38

jetawayusa

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Does anybody know what gate and destination the final flight had? What about the equipment?

Will this terminal ever be used again before it is finally demolished? Delta took over the entire terminal after they merged with Northeast and Northwest. I wonder if the Jitney buses will be reused after Terminal 4 is expanded.

Does anybody have pictures of the final flight? Were the passengers even told that this was a historic flight?

In 2013, Delta had a small ceremony at Gate 6 for the final flight of Terminal 3.

Delta took over this terminal after the Pan Am Acquisition in 1991....Delta was already in terminal 2 at the time of the Acquisition! In addition they took over Terminal 3! (Long Long before the merger with Northwest Airlines)

admanager

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:57 am

What? T2's finished? That was fast.
It wasn't pretty, it had birds flying around inside, but where else could you get into a cab in 2 minutes from any gate? The Sky Club was average and it was functional. But versus up to 15 minutes in T4; I'll miss T2

superjeff

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:00 am

jetawayusa wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

Delta took over this terminal after the Pan Am Acquisition in 1991....Delta was already in terminal 2 at the time of the Acquisition! In addition they took over Terminal 3! (Long Long before the merger with Northwest Airlines)

Delta acquired Northeast in 1972. That's when they got into that terminal. They took over Braniff's space as well, as Braniff moved into the old United Terminal.

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:59 am

I hope they used an MD-88 for the final flight. That was the most common aircraft type at Terminal 2 for 15 years.

The terminal is so old , it will probably take months to remove the asbestos. Best to get started on it now.

dampfnudel

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:07 am

On a related note, when is construction on the new T1 scheduled to begin?
A313 332 343 B703 712 722 732 73G 738 739 741 742 744 752 762 76E 764 772 AT5 CR9 D10 DHH DHT F27 GRM L10 M83 TU5

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 am

dampfnudel wrote:
On a related note, when is construction on the new T1 scheduled to begin?

It will be easier to wait for Terminal 2 to be demolished before starting construction on T1.

evank516

Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:00 am

admanager wrote:
It wasn't pretty, it had birds flying around inside, but where else could you get into a cab in 2 minutes from any gate? The Sky Club was average and it was functional. But versus up to 15 minutes in T4; I'll miss T2

100% agree. It was so easy to travel through. Yes, it's old, yes it's dated, but you could go from curbside to gate and vice versa really fast.

TW870

Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:30 am

evank516 wrote:
admanager wrote:

100% agree. It was so easy to travel through. Yes, it's old, yes it's dated, but you could go from curbside to gate and vice versa really fast.

I'm confused. Are people assuming that because of the rapid traffic drop-off that T2 is finished, and they can do the T1 reconstruction now? I didn't understand that funds were anywhere near ready to go on this.

On the one hand I will miss a JFK original terminal and the 1960s minimalist design. But T2 had become an embarrassing illustration of all that is wrong with US infrastructure. I'll never forget being there about five years ago. My 738 was departing for MSP from a gate between an IST and a PRG departure. It was so horribly crowded that old folks and people with disabilities were forced to stand in a dense crowd. Pigeons were swooping and shitting while flying. Old Turkish and Czech folks on the flights next door were holding their newspapers over their heads to avoid boarding with shit in their hair from the pigeons. It was just epic to hear the boarding announcements layered over the sound of pigeons' wings flapping. Such an embarrassment for the US.

DL_Mech

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:01 am

superjeff wrote:
Delta acquired Northeast in 1972. That's when they got into that terminal. They took over Braniff's space as well, as Braniff moved into the old United Terminal.

Photo of DL at JFK prior to NE merger:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenfielding/6794811181
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

DL777200LR

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:51 am

Who said T2 is being demolished anytime soon? DL consolidated to T4 because there are barely any departures and T4 can handle all of them for now. T2 is currently being used as parking space.
Nothing better than the sound of a 77W GE90-115B on engine start.

KFTG

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:52 am

No one said it. But it is a logical step to take.

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:53 am

If they do decide to demolish, Delta could find themselves with a gate shortage a year from now before T4A is completed. T4A could easily take more than two years to build and be ready to go.

It would be nice if one of the gates at T4A could be a bus gate and a couple of the JFK Jitney buses could run back and forth between T4A and a gate at T4B.

Hopefully Delta will begin construction at T4A in July, once most construction workers can return to work.

Lootess

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:10 am

Almost amazing T2 will likely end up getting mothballed because of a pandemic, instead of DL dictating the timeline.

No one said demolish, just it may never re-open at the end of this when you consider the airline is very likely going to be shrinking systemwide, the loss of those gates may absorb the shrinkage at JFK.

I do wonder if capital improvement suspension includes T4A, of course it's probably not all DL's decision since JFKIAT group is a large part of it, they really do need it as part of the master plan.

jfklganyc

Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:45 am

This whole thread is non sensical in so many ways, it is ridiculous

1. The terminal is closed because of a pandemic

2. any redevelopment project is on hold indefinitely

3. Even if Delta does shrink at JFK they are going to need more space than terminal 4, as they were very gate constrained to begin with

4. Airlines teetering on collapse (which is every airline at present) dont have ceremonies at gates as they shut things down to stay alive

Lack of context on this thread is naïve and alarming

Right up there with the Newark airport future thread in which people are pretending the world of aviation isnt collapsing around them...”gee guys when will Terminal C get replaced?”

Polot

Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:42 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
superjeff wrote:

DL was at JFK prior to NE merger but they were in Terminal 9 (UA’s old terminal), not 2.

After the NE merger Braniff and DL essentially switched places with DL consolidating with NE in T2 and Braniff moving to DL’s old space in T9 until they ceased ops.

airlinereporter

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:27 pm

This thread has made some wild assumptions. As of early March, before COVID19 really started impacting the US airlines, the plan was for Delta to fully utilize T2 until early 2023. It would abandon and demolish T2 only after it fully consolidated ops into T4. If things pop back to normal in a year or two, it'll still need T2.

timf

Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Traffic will need to rebound before they even consider starting construction on T4A, at which point T2 will be needed again and reopened.

e38

Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:40 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply # 18), "This whole thread is non sensical in so many ways, it is ridiculous."

jfklganyc, yes it is. I agree.

But, what you may have noticed over the past few years is that Airliners.net has really deteriorated to a very low level of quality in aviation interest, and this thread is very exemplary of that.

I think the issues include:

1. some members of A.Net these days have very little ability to think or even reason logically.
2. some people these days do not have the ability to properly research a question they might have; or perhaps have the patience to do so. Therefore, rather than attempt to find an answer to a question on their own, it is just easier for them to post their thoughts immediately on this forum and let someone else answer.
3. For some reason, many topics on A.net are embellished with drama, misinformation, and/or an unnecessary sense of urgency.

Just a few of my personal observations. It's just the way it is.

e38

VirginFlyer

Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:28 pm

e38 wrote:
Quoting jfklganyc (Reply # 18), "This whole thread is non sensical in so many ways, it is ridiculous."

jfklganyc, yes it is. I agree.

But, what you may have noticed over the past few years is that Airliners.net has really deteriorated to a very low level of quality in aviation interest, and this thread is very exemplary of that.

I think the issues include:

1. some members of A.Net these days have very little ability to think or even reason logically.
2. some people these days do not have the ability to properly research a question they might have; or perhaps have the patience to do so. Therefore, rather than attempt to find an answer to a question on their own, it is just easier for them to post their thoughts immediately on this forum and let someone else answer.
3. For some reason, many topics on A.net are embellished with drama, misinformation, and/or an unnecessary sense of urgency.

Just a few of my personal observations. It's just the way it is.

e38

As someone who has been here for nearly 20 years, what you’re describing is not a new phenomenon...

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

Brianpr3

Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:18 pm

Yeah when things are back to normal they will demolish it and they need to demolish that dilapidated terminal
Brian

AA94

Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:38 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
This whole thread is non sensical in so many ways, it is ridiculous

1. The terminal is closed because of a pandemic

2. any redevelopment project is on hold indefinitely

3. Even if Delta does shrink at JFK they are going to need more space than terminal 4, as they were very gate constrained to begin with

4. Airlines teetering on collapse (which is every airline at present) dont have ceremonies at gates as they shut things down to stay alive

Lack of context on this thread is naïve and alarming

Right up there with the Newark airport future thread in which people are pretending the world of aviation isnt collapsing around them...”gee guys when will Terminal C get replaced?”

:checkmark:

You and I almost never agree on anything, but we agree on this. This thread is ridiculous.

superjeff

Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:53 am

Polot wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:
superjeff wrote:

DL was at JFK prior to NE merger but they were in Terminal 9 (UA’s old terminal), not 2.

After the NE merger Braniff and DL essentially switched places with DL consolidating with NE in T2 and Braniff moving to DL’s old space in T9 until they ceased ops.

That''s correct. Braniff's old lounge at T2 went to Delta (small and dark); Braniff went to the old United terminal. I don't remember if they took over a Delta Crown Room or if they used United's Red Carpet Lounge in their terminal.

880dc8707

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:05 am

Flew out of there in Dec 1968, it was dirty and desolate even then. Was not a terminal worth remembering.

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:10 am

superjeff wrote:
Polot wrote:
DL_Mech wrote:

That''s correct. Braniff's old lounge at T2 went to Delta (small and dark); Braniff went to the old United terminal. I don't remember if they took over a Delta Crown Room or if they used United's Red Carpet Lounge in their terminal.

Is the original Braniff lounge still used by Delta at T2?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos