Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Miami
Topic Author

South African Airways lands in Miami after 20+ years

Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:01 am

It's been over 20+ years since SAA last landed in Miami. Today, an Airbus A350-900XWB ended the drought.

Due to the unfortunate circumstances of COVID-19, SAA came to the rescue of dozens of South Africans in Miami. Flight came in from JNB with a stop at DSS as SA4211. Flight back will depart MIA on Tuesday.

https://www.facebook.com/FlySAAUSA/post ... 7550936033

Welcome back, SAA!

- Miami
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Miami
Topic Author

Re: South African Airways lands in Miami after 20+ years

Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:46 pm

Leaves tonight with 310 pax to JNB. 7:30pm.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

JetBuddy

Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Love the picture.

N62NA

Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:44 pm

I hope one day they will return with scheduled flights. But in the meantime, this is nice!

bravotango75

Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:59 pm

So, this is nothing more than a ” repatriation” flight? What is the big deal? I mean, almost every US city are seeing these in one form or another, we have seen a ton here in BOS, no big deal made out of it. Now had it been a new or a service re-start, then yeah, newsworthy, though given SAA’s current financials, that would be suicide. But for city of Miami's stature and prominence with commercial addition, to tout this as a big event, wow, that seems like something that they would do in Dallas or Houston.

x1234

Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:19 pm

I am surprised the A359 can't do JNB-MIA non-stop.

DylanHarvey

Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:50 pm

x1234 wrote:

It can quite easily do it, I'm assuming there's a multitude of other reasons behind the stops. A350 flies plenty of longer routes around the world.

hpff

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:30 pm

DylanHarvey wrote:
x1234 wrote:

It can quite easily do it, I'm assuming there's a multitude of other reasons behind the stops. A350 flies plenty of longer routes around the world.

JNB is hot-and-high, probably factors into it

DylanHarvey

Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:36 pm

hpff wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
x1234 wrote:

It was more than likely completely empty leaving JNB. The 359 can get out of JNB at 275t. Which they most definitely don't need completely empty.

FLALEFTY

Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:00 am

DylanHarvey wrote:
hpff wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

It was more than likely completely empty leaving JNB. The 359 can get out of JNB at 275t. Which they most definitely don't need completely empty.

All of SAA's A350's are leased and it is possible that the lessors put a takeoff weight limit clause into the leases? SAA is not in good financial health and perhaps the lessors are expecting to see these back in their inventories soon, hopefully in good shape. They probably don't want the landing gear, air frame and engines stressed just to make a one-off R/T non-stop flight between JNB-MIA. Stopping in DSS breaks the flights up into 2, roughly 4,200sm segments, rather than 1 segment of 8,100sm.

9252fly

Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:08 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
hpff wrote:

All of SAA's A350's are leased and it is possible that the lessors put a takeoff weight limit clause into the leases? SAA is not in good financial health and perhaps the lessors are expecting to see these back in their inventories soon, hopefully in good shape. They probably don't want the landing gear, air frame and engines stressed just to make a one-off R/T non-stop flight between JNB-MIA. Stopping in DSS breaks the flights up into 2, roughly 4,200sm segments, rather than 1 segment of 8,100sm.

In respect to your comment about the financial health of SAA, the South African government today said that they will not provide any further funding to the airline as they are broke for lack of a better way to put it. It would seem the business rescue partners will likely have no other option now than to put the airline into liquidation, truly a sad situation for all those that will be effected.

chepos

South African Airways lands in Miami after 20+ years

Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:56 am

9252fly wrote:
FLALEFTY wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:

In respect to your comment about the financial health of SAA, the South African government today said that they will not provide any further funding to the airline as they are broke for lack of a better way to put it. It would seem the business rescue partners will likely have no other option now than to put the airline into liquidation, truly a sad situation for all those that will be effected.

A eulogy for SAA has been written in these forums far too many times (along with AZ). I’ll believe that when I se it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

blacksoviet

Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:02 am

Did they use a hardstand or a gate?

trees

Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:14 am

FLALEFTY wrote:
DylanHarvey wrote:
hpff wrote:

Those A350’s are used on the JNB-JFK route. By your logic those frames are ready to be scrapped.

trees

Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:15 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Did they use a hardstand or a gate?

Gate J11A

evanb

Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:20 am

x1234 wrote:

It can do it non-stop (they fly JNB-JFK-JNB non-stop with the A350s). It's just a lot more expensive to do it non-stop and without a high yield revenue it's not necessary.

Also, the return leg is operating MIA-DDS-JNB, so the outbound gave the chance to position the second crew for the DDS-JNB leg.

TWA902fly

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:50 am

evanb wrote:
x1234 wrote:

It can do it non-stop (they fly JNB-JFK-JNB non-stop with the A350s). It's just a lot more expensive to do it non-stop and without a high yield revenue it's not necessary.

Also, the return leg is operating MIA-DDS-JNB, so the outbound gave the chance to position the second crew for the DDS-JNB leg.

Not that it makes a big difference, but JNB-MIA is actually about 100sm longer than JNB-JFK.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

dfwjim1

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:59 am

bravotango75 wrote:
So, this is nothing more than a ” repatriation” flight? What is the big deal? I mean, almost every US city are seeing these in one form or another, we have seen a ton here in BOS, no big deal made out of it. Now had it been a new or a service re-start, then yeah, newsworthy, though given SAA’s current financials, that would be suicide. But for city of Miami's stature and prominence with commercial addition, to tout this as a big event, wow, that seems like something that they would do in Dallas or Houston.

I was thinking the same thing...why make such a big deal over a one time flight?

smokeybandit

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:06 pm

20 years? That has to be a record for longest flight then.

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:12 pm

N62NA wrote:
I hope one day they will return with scheduled flights. But in the meantime, this is nice!

Zero chance. Today they announced they will fire all of their staff and sell their assets. South African Airways is no more.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:04 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
So, this is nothing more than a ” repatriation” flight? What is the big deal? I mean, almost every US city are seeing these in one form or another, we have seen a ton here in BOS, no big deal made out of it. Now had it been a new or a service re-start, then yeah, newsworthy, though given SAA’s current financials, that would be suicide.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

bravotango75 wrote:
But for city of Miami's stature and prominence with commercial addition, to tout this as a big event, wow, that seems like something that they would do in Dallas or Houston.

Not really sure the point of digging at DFW and IAH; seeing as they both have plenty of longhaul routes/services that MIA has failed to attain, and in some cases could never even dream of. Strange.

x1234 wrote:

Could a generic 280T A359 in premium configuration do JNB-MIA? ...with no problem.

Is that cost efficient for a 1time repatriation flight, for an airline who otherwise has little reason to rate its aircraft at that kind of gross weight? ...clearly not.

chepos wrote:
A eulogy for SAA has been written in these forums far too many times (along with AZ). I’ll believe that when I se it

Looks like today you're getting your wish :(

https://onemileatatime.com/south-africa ... ing-staff/
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Miami
Topic Author

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:34 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
N62NA wrote:

Zero chance. Today they announced they will fire all of their staff and sell their assets. South African Airways is no more.

False. Not official.

dfwjim1 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing...why make such a big deal over a one time flight?

Who said this was a big deal?

LAX772LR wrote:
Not really sure the point of digging at DFW and IAH; seeing as they both have plenty of longhaul routes/services that MIA has failed to attain, and in some cases could never even dream of. Strange.

Stopped after 9/11.. Not failed.

Also, name a few routes for me.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:22 pm

Miami wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Can you kindly point out to me what 9/11 has to do with anything I just mentioned.

Because that appears to be quite the irrelevant non sequitur....

Miami wrote:
Also, name a few routes for me.

Oh, I dunno, nonstops to just about anywhere in east Asia perhaps? Tokyo, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul.

...and Polynesia.
...and Australia.
...and New Zealand.
...and western Africa.

Pre-shutdown, DFW and/or IAH had achieved and sustained nonstops to all of the above.
MIA didn't, couldn't, and for most of them: likely won't ever--- in even the furthest and most optimistic stretch of foreseeable future.

Which is why it's exceedingly strange to take a dig at either of them in the manner put forth.

evanb

Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:53 pm

Miami wrote:

Not quite. SAA exited MIA in 1999 when it switched to ATL. MIA didn't fail for them but they switched their US partner from AA to DL in 1999.

LAX772LR

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:02 pm

evanb wrote:
Miami wrote:

Not quite. SAA exited MIA in 1999 when it switched to ATL. MIA didn't fail for them but they switched their US partner from AA to DL in 1999.

And even then, they still flew JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL-JNB for nearly 3yrs after that, with ability to both enplane and deplane passengers there until 2001.

But that said, I'm still at loss as to WTH 9/11 has to do with DFW/IAH having plenty of longhaul routes that MIA doesn't and likely won't ever. :confused:

DarkSnowyNight

Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:58 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
All of SAA's A350's are leased and it is possible that the lessors put a takeoff weight limit clause into the leases? SAA is not in good financial health and perhaps the lessors are expecting to see these back in their inventories soon, hopefully in good shape.

Not for an A350. There are weight limit groupings, but these follow OEM guidelines.

FLALEFTY wrote:
They probably don't want the landing gear, air frame and engines stressed just to make a one-off R/T non-stop flight between JNB-MIA. Stopping in DSS breaks the flights up into 2, roughly 4,200sm segments, rather than 1 segment of 8,100sm.

None of the composite or metallic components listed above will show any outside-of-limit wear for normal use and/or extra segments. And if they were made out butter, extra cycles would be worse than one longer trip.

LAX772LR wrote:
And even then, they still flew JNB-CPT-FLL-ATL-JNB for nearly 3yrs after that, with ability to both enplane and deplane passengers there until 2001.

But that said, I'm still at loss as to WTH 9/11 has to do with DFW/IAH having plenty of longhaul routes that MIA doesn't and likely won't ever. :confused:

Well, at least they managed to snag EK...

Oh, never mind...
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

mwhcvt

Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 pm

I’d say from the wording it’s fairly clear why the stops to repatriate citizens from each on the way rather than the cost and delays sending an aircraft to each and then back to SA
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

Miami
Topic Author

Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:39 am

bravotango75

Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:19 am

Miami wrote:

The guys from 'Airplane Repo' are no doubt, chomping at the bit to get a hold of that beauty!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos