Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thebigz
Topic Author

BRA farewell flights: Is this even legal?

Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:16 pm

Just came across this amazing clip with Swedish BRA Braathens Regional Airlines ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbmBOk9rd0s )ferrying their Avros to the UK a couple of weeks back. Airline is now under administration due corona virus (viewtopic.php?t=1444169) and hoping to be back after summer (good luck with that) but their Avros where about to be retired anyway,

But look at the video from around 15 mins and look how really close they are flying (to use the millitary term) twoship for a salute to their old home base. Is this even legal?

On another perspective listening to some of the pilots comments this might very well be their last active flight. The demand for Avro pilots (or any pilots) right now is zero and I sort of understand that you want to do a spectacular last flight.

greg85

Re: BRA farewell flights: Is this even legal?

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:09 pm

thebigz wrote:
Just came across this amazing clip with Swedish BRA Braathens Regional Airlines ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbmBOk9rd0s )ferrying their Avros to the UK a couple of weeks back. Airline is now under administration due corona virus (viewtopic.php?t=1444169) and hoping to be back after summer (good luck with that) but their Avros where about to be retired anyway,

But look at the video from around 15 mins and look how really close they are flying (to use the millitary term) twoship for a salute to their old home base. Is this even legal?

On another perspective listening to some of the pilots comments this might very well be their last active flight. The demand for Avro pilots (or any pilots) right now is zero and I sort of understand that you want to do a spectacular last flight.

Yes, formation flights are legal and always have been under most aviation authorities.

Arion640

Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Can’t see it being any different to a display team like the red arrows flying close to a commercial aircraft.

jaybird

Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Thanks for sharing - that's a great clip!

32andBelow

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Formation flights are legal.

peterinlisbon

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:32 pm

That's really sad but it's a beautiful video. Hopefully there will be more Swedish flying bras in the future.

smartplane

Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:26 pm

Good video.

The presentation of the crew, external aircraft, cockpit and other parts viewed in the video are a credit to all.

SkyVoice

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:48 am

I just watched the first part of the video. I'll finish it later. It's AWESOME! In fact, it's a Wonder, BRA ! ! !
"Tough times never last. Tough people do." - Dr. Robert H. Schuller

seat55a

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:20 am

It's not the most stable formation flying I've ever seen particularly at the start. Even those Colorado bushplane guys have more stable spacing. One hopes it was well briefed. One also assumes the pilots are ex-military.

BirdBrain

Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:49 pm

Such a touching tribute viewed from a first person perspective.

TUGMASTER

Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:38 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
That's really sad but it's a beautiful video. Hopefully there will be more Swedish flying bras in the future.

I’ve been travelling to Sweden from the UK for over 30 years, and let me tell you, I’ve seen Some superb flying BRA’s..... and they were all GOOD...!!!