Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

National airlines were just passing through one way.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:55 am

I have noticed in the late 1970s National Airlines had some odd routes where they served a city with a flight passing through one way
but no vice versa.example MIA-MLB-TPA but no return the other way,Why would they do that? Philadelphia was another example
a one way route through PHL but no return route. Charleston SC and Savanah had one way routes passing through.So you leave
out of CHS to say JFK but no way to get back on National.That makes no sense.Airlines have to have a vice versa,

doulasc
Topic Author

Re: National airlines were just passing through one way.

Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:32 am

Prior to National pulling out of Tallahassee Florida their only route was was JAX-TLH and back to JAX.No way that could have been
a profitable route for National.

drdisque

Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:40 am

Do you have the full schedule?

For example, did inbound flights to MIA connect to the MIA-MLB segment? Particularly a TPA nonstop? The schedulers were working with paper strips back then, but they weren't stupid. Chances are there were a fair amount of flights that fed the MIA-MLB-TPA flight that returning travelers could connect from.

880dc8707

Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:55 am

I flew NA in the 70s taking groups to Orlando, Going was PHL - MCO 1stop via JAX,. Return was via DCA. I dont know if they were one direction, we used them for MCO, but lot of psgrs exited in JAX, and DCA.

MO11

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:02 am

doulasc wrote:
I have noticed in the late 1970s National Airlines had some odd routes where they served a city with a flight passing through one way
but no vice versa.example MIA-MLB-TPA but no return the other way,Why would they do that? Philadelphia was another example
a one way route through PHL but no return route. Charleston SC and Savanah had one way routes passing through.So you leave
out of CHS to say JFK but no way to get back on National.That makes no sense.Airlines have to have a vice versa,

This was at the very end of airline regulation, before the free-for-all started. NA wanted to drop service at MLB entirely, and applied to drop its SAV-CHS-DCA flights. It operated the bare minimum service level allowed. The CAB allowed it to drop MLB in July 1979, and allowed it to end service in the CHS/SAV-DCA markets in March 1979.

EA CO AS

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:35 am

doulasc wrote:
Prior to National pulling out of Tallahassee Florida their only route was was JAX-TLH and back to JAX.No way that could have been

It was a tag; they weren’t trying to make money on the JAXTLH segment but taking JAX and TLH customers onward.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

strfyr51

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:02 am

EA CO AS wrote:
doulasc wrote:

It was a tag; they weren’t trying to make money on the JAXTLH segment but taking JAX and TLH customers onward.

the CAB sis some pretty strange stuff back then. BUT? De-regulation? Did some even stranger stuff!. had Pan-Am been allowed to have a robust domestic network?
They might well still be around. The CAB was regulating to suit themselves and their political cronies.

MO11

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:24 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
doulasc wrote:

Tallahassee was on the Jacksonville-New Orleans route (with stops in Tallahassee, Panama City, Pensacola, Mobile); from Jacksonville, some flights continued northward. National was trying to lose these cities, and its authority to serve Tallahassee became "permissive" in 1978.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:49 pm

The problem with deregulation was how quick it came about. Boom! All of a sudden, everyone is free to fly wherever they want, charge how much they want, and drop unprofitable routes. The "milk runs" disappeared as airlines found they could fly non-stops cheaper, and smaller cities were left behind.

I could never figure out National's plan, even in the regulated era. Yeah, Florida, yeah, the southeast, but other airlines did too. And then Pan Am's take-over killed of their route network completely - many of these cities found themselves connected with Memphis (Southern) and Atlanta (Delta / Eastern), and further years solidified these hubs.

departedflights

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:12 pm

Here is a COMPLETELY BIZARRE one, in my opinion... Maybe someone can shed some light on this.

In National's September 1978 flight schedule there is one flight a day through Providence:

National flight 421

Lv Boston 8:10am
Ar Providence 8:38am
Lv Providence 9:05am
Ar New York Kennedy 9:37am

The flight then continued to head southbound to Washington National, Charleston, Savannah, Jacksonville, Orlando and Miami.

The schedule shows you could use flight 421 to connect to other National flights heading TO Fort Myers, Melbourne, Fort Lauderdale, Norfolk, Sarasota, Tampa and West Palm Beach.... but there were absolutely ZERO cities that showed any connections available TO Providence.

There is no other flight ALL DAY to or from Providence.

You could leave Providence on National and get to 15 cities, but you could only return to Providence if you were coming from Boston first thing in the morning.

I've never understood that!
The opinions are expressed are my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my coworkers or my employer.

mga707

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:28 pm

AA had a similar flight for many years, 1960s/early '70s: Oakland CA had but one flight, SFO-OAK-PHX (continuing to DAL and points east). No westbound PHX-OAK. Finally around '72 or so they dropped the cross-bay 'hop' and started a PHX-OAK flight that 'turned' to OAK-PHX.

pietpaflsun

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:39 pm

These were the days of the so called milk runs.
TWA 756 PHL-LHR

cathay747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Let's face it, there was LOTS of bizarre stuff pre-deregulation...UA flying 747's ORD/YYZ/ORD is merely one example I can think of. Specifically referring to National, don't forget that they operated ATL-SFO nonstop, which was awarded, IIRC, as part of the Southern Trans-Con. Route Case...it was the ONLY service they had at ATL! I forget the CAB's so-called reasoning behind awarding that, but NA had never applied for it (if memory serves)...this ATL-SFO was a consolation prize for something.
Try a Little VC-10derness

superjeff

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:47 pm

cathay747 wrote:
Let's face it, there was LOTS of bizarre stuff pre-deregulation...UA flying 747's ORD/YYZ/ORD is merely one example I can think of. Specifically referring to National, don't forget that they operated ATL-SFO nonstop, which was awarded, IIRC, as part of the Southern Trans-Con. Route Case...it was the ONLY service they had at ATL! I forget the CAB's so-called reasoning behind awarding that, but NA had never applied for it (if memory serves)...this ATL-SFO was a consolation prize for something.

Before deregulation, National had a whole bunch of weird flights with as many as eight stops. Routes like BOS-Florida (with five or six stops), continuing on to New Orleans and the West Coast with routings like MIA-TPA-PNS-MSY-IAH-LAS-SFO/LAX/SAN were quite common.

cathay747

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:55 pm

superjeff wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Before deregulation, National had a whole bunch of weird flights with as many as eight stops. Routes like BOS-Florida (with five or six stops), continuing on to New Orleans and the West Coast with routings like MIA-TPA-PNS-MSY-IAH-LAS-SFO/LAX/SAN were quite common.

:checkmark: So did Eastern (up/down east coast)...hell, ALL of the majors had at least a couple of those crazy 5+ stop routes, although some had more than others...and not just domestic. My God, some of BN's SoAmer. routes were equally insane...JFK-EZE with 5 stops. Just crazy.
Try a Little VC-10derness

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:02 pm

NA had a ton of MIA-FLL-LGA or FLL-PBI-DCA, MCO-TPA-IAH type flights. Also as noted above the one way MIA-SAV-CHS-JFK hop.
EA had several flights routed like FLL-MIA-BOS or MIA-FLL-EWR or MLB-DAB-JAX-JFK service. Those are just random examples. Two flights that persisted until the EA strike in 1989 was MIA-TPA-TLH and MIA-TPA-PNS. Those were important intrastate connections.

National also had PNS-MOB-MSY-IAH for a while IIRC, a true Gulf Coast milk run!

superjeff

Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Not to the same extent as National, though. I worked for Braniff in the mid 1970's and we had flights operating DFW-IAH-MSY-PTY-BOG-UIO, and JFK-IAD-MIA-PTY-UIO-LIM-LPZ-BUE and similar, but largely dictated by the route authorities we had, and Eastern's flights were typically one stop flights operating via ATL to points in Florida, rather than National's Tri-Coast (Atlantic-Gulf-Pacific) services.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos